New requirement if you or somebody you are traveling with is 70 or over

GINNY L

10 minutes ago, GINNY L said:

I put this out there for people to know thinking I would be helping some.  I can't help what information they do and don't put in their email.  I would think most people would know that a dentist, a veterinarian, psychologist etc could not signed the paper.  I am a licensed medical person who has a state and national license.  However, I can not sign those types of letters/notes. 

Please don't pay attention to the trolls - that's what they want.  Everyone knows that the person signing the form has to be either a physician, physician assistant, or nurse practitioner.    I certainly appreciate your sharing the information.

• Like 3

What medical professional in their right mind is going to sign off on this ?

ie. Grandpa is fit to cruise

Grandpa gets sick on cruise

Grandpa dies on cruise

GRANDMA,s  LAWYER calls Doctor

Doctor is now bankrupt !

Yep, this is going to go over really well.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Interesting. What is to prevent someone from getting sick after this form is signed by a professional? Seems like an interesting requirement to me. I guess they are saying that if you've been seen recently, they can rule out you carrying the virus at the time you were seen. But isn't the bigger concern when you are out in public places traveling? The certification can't account for the risks taken when traveling through airports and on cruise ships. Anyone can still pick up anything when traveling, including common cold.

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dive Master said:

What medical professional in their right mind is going to sign off on this ?

ie. Grandpa is fit to cruise

Grandpa gets sick on cruise

Grandpa dies on cruise

GRANDMA,s  LAWYER calls Doctor

Doctor is now bankrupt !

Yep, this is going to go over really well.

See that's kind of the way I was thinking. So, they were in good shape when they were seen, but traveled against the government and CDC recommendations and got sick. Well, who's to blame for that unfortunate situation? I mean if it isn't perfectly clear, the government has said avoid traveling by cruise ship. It is unfortunate that NCL is even making this request. They are aware of the government and CDC directive.

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 2

" I deem the named guest to be in good physical health and free of any severe or chronic illness such as pulmonary and/or respiratory ailments and is medically fit to travel on the above listed cruise vacation."

Read carefully: "...free of ANY severe or chronic illness...."       

• Like 2

WHAT THE HECK IS EVERYBODY’S PROBLEM?  Cruises will be around in the future.  This smells like a compromise between cruise lines & CDC where CDC probably wanted to shut them down because of the higher possibility of Covid-19 spread on ships, and the CLIA fought back and they eventually agreed to something to make it more difficult for the community at highest risk to cruise.

I note this doesn’t require the cruiser to be free of risk factors if they are under 70, and it also doesn’t address cardiac disease, which is top on the list of co-morbidities with poorer outcome.

IMHO it’s too watered down, it should be a bit stronger.  Not that NCL will know if you are 40 and have COPD, but I wish there was some way this would be a bit more widespread.  I know we can’t ask everyone who is sailing to get a doctor’s note, but medically I think people should really have it in their faces what the risk factors and consequences are if they choose to cruise.  No risk factors, great!  

Let the flames begin—and no, I am not a troll, I think my post count speaks for itself.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, seaman11 said:

good for them , it is the elderly that contract this easier and spread it. 

There is no proof that they contract it easier or spread it, but they do have higher mortality rates.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, seaman11 said:

Well who would you get a health certification from? The local butcher?

In addition to an MD or a DO a nurse practitioner, or a physicians assistant commonly do physicals and fill out such forms.

6 minutes ago, nextcruiseis said:

Read carefully: "...free of ANY severe or chronic illness...."       

That's what I'm wondering. High cholesterol? High blood pressure? Arthritis? Early onset dementia? Diabetes? Allergies?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CruisinNewbie11 said:

I am 71, leaving in 10 days, I never got any email.  Did you receive this in your regular email or on the NCL website messages?  I just checked both, nothing.  

I would give it a day or two, you can't get it filled out until within 7 days of your cruise anyway. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cruzfrek said:

"free of any severe or chronic illness
such as pulmonary and/or respiratory ailments"

Technically if you have asthma, even if well-controlled, that's a "chronic" respiratory ailment. Does that mean you can no longer cruise???

2 hours ago, GINNY L said:

Just received this email from Norwegian

Dear Valued Guest,
<snip>
If you are 70 years of age and older, please bring the completed form with you as you will be required to present the form prior to embarkation. Those who do not present the form will be denied boarding and will be issued a future cruise certificate for the value of their cruise.
<snip>

If you are over 70 and have a chronic condition like asthma, what good will a FCC do you???

Just my Thoughts.   But, I can see many stressing over this, especially if the cruise is in a week or so.    I don't know about your medical office but ours is very hard to get an appointment quickly.  It states you need to have it filled out within 7 day of travel.  

Packing and traveling is stressful enough.  Now you have to worry about a form and if it is filled out correctly.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, teach/2/cruise said:

Thank you for providing this information.  My sister and her Husband are cruising in April and did not get the letter.  I will forward this information to them.  Thanks again

You are welcome

37 minutes ago, nextcruiseis said:

Please don't pay attention to the trolls - that's what they want.  Everyone knows that the person signing the form has to be either a physician, physician assistant, or nurse practitioner.    I certainly appreciate your sharing the information.

Thank you

15 minutes ago, CruisinNewbie11 said:

I am 71, leaving in 10 days, I never got any email.  Did you receive this in your regular email or on the NCL website messages?  I just checked both, nothing.  

My personal email.   Check your spam maybe

30 minutes ago, erdoran said:

WHAT THE HECK IS EVERYBODY’S PROBLEM?  Cruises will be around in the future.  This smells like a compromise between cruise lines & CDC where CDC probably wanted to shut them down because of the higher possibility of Covid-19 spread on ships, and the CLIA fought back and they eventually agreed to something to make it more difficult for the community at highest risk to cruise.

Ding, ding, ding!  We have a winner.  This is precisely what it is.  It has been floated over the last few days that the government wanted the ships shut down till this virus is controlled.  CLIA points out that if they shut the ships down they are all looking at bankruptcy.  Government agrees to various concession to let them continue to operate.  For now...………….

We are likely one or two ships from US ports being quarantined from having the keys taken away from all the ships.  

• Like 1