Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Jancruz

This in tonight from Viking

Recommended Posts

An important message from Viking Chairman Torstein Hagen

Jancruz1


Dear Travel Partners,

Please click here to read a letter from Viking Chairman Torstein Hagen, which will be delivered to all Viking guests—embarking March 12–April 30, 2020—and their Travel Advisors.

Summary:
  • Our mission has been to create experiences for our guests that focus on the destination and allow them to explore the world in comfort. This has always been Viking’s ambition and will remain so.
  • Travel has become exceedingly complicated due to the current COVID-19 situation.
  • Every day, we are advised of new travel destinations that are no longer open to Viking explorers.
  • It has become impossible to provide your clients with the experience that they deserve and expect from Viking, during these challenging times.
  • Because of travel limitations and changes that are evolving daily, we are choosing to temporarily suspend operation of all river and ocean vessels embarking March 12—April 30, 2020 at which time we believe Viking will be in a better place to provide the experiences our guests expect and deserve.

What this means for your clients, they will have two choices:

Option #1 - A Future Cruise Voucher valued at 125% of all monies paid to Viking
Option #2 - A refund equal to the amount paid

For additional flexibility, if your clients are unable to use their voucher, we will automatically send them a refund equal to the original amount paid to Viking if the voucher expires. These Future Cruise Vouchers will also be fully transferable.

And please remember, our Risk-Free Guarantee is still available.

This temporary exception to Viking’s standard booking terms is applicable to two groups of guests:
  1. All guests with reservations made prior to March 8, 2020, inclusive of all itineraries and years of departure.
  2. All guests who make a NEW reservation through April 30, 2020. This includes reservations for all departure dates and products currently available for sale.

Those who are covered by the temporary exception to the standard booking policy can change their cruise date or cancel their cruise at any time up until 24 hours before their planned departure, without incurring fees. In either case they will be issued a voucher for future travel valid for 24 months, which can be used on a new reservation for any river, ocean or expedition cruise. These vouchers are non-transferrable and have no cash value. Other terms and conditions apply.

What this means for you:

Viking will pay commission on any*:
  1. Risk-Free Guarantee Future Cruise Voucher (FCV) booking.
  2. 125% FCV (as described above) booking.
    *Unless commission has already been paid on original booking.
We understand that this is a difficult time for all of us in the travel industry, and we thank you for your support. We hope that this announcement and the continuation of the Risk-Free Guarantee Program provides you with strong retention and sales tools that will help you continue to sell during this period of uncertainty, while providing your clients with the peace of mind they need and deserve.

Warm Regards,

michele_signature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just read this on another thread.  Viking's profile has risen immeasurably in my opinion, they are taking the stress and financial considerations of their guests before their bottom line.  I hope Oceania are taking note.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Scandinavians have gotten a lot of things that are important in life right - and I am not talking just about cruising 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jancruz said:
An important message from Viking Chairman Torstein Hagen

Jancruz1


Dear Travel Partners,

Please click here to read a letter from Viking Chairman Torstein Hagen, which will be delivered to all Viking guests—embarking March 12–April 30, 2020—and their Travel Advisors.

Summary:
  • Our mission has been to create experiences for our guests that focus on the destination and allow them to explore the world in comfort. This has always been Viking’s ambition and will remain so.
  • Travel has become exceedingly complicated due to the current COVID-19 situation.
  • Every day, we are advised of new travel destinations that are no longer open to Viking explorers.
  • It has become impossible to provide your clients with the experience that they deserve and expect from Viking, during these challenging times.
  • Because of travel limitations and changes that are evolving daily, we are choosing to temporarily suspend operation of all river and ocean vessels embarking March 12—April 30, 2020 at which time we believe Viking will be in a better place to provide the experiences our guests expect and deserve.

What this means for your clients, they will have two choices:

Option #1 - A Future Cruise Voucher valued at 125% of all monies paid to Viking
Option #2 - A refund equal to the amount paid

For additional flexibility, if your clients are unable to use their voucher, we will automatically send them a refund equal to the original amount paid to Viking if the voucher expires. These Future Cruise Vouchers will also be fully transferable.

And please remember, our Risk-Free Guarantee is still available.

This temporary exception to Viking’s standard booking terms is applicable to two groups of guests:
  1. All guests with reservations made prior to March 8, 2020, inclusive of all itineraries and years of departure.
  2. All guests who make a NEW reservation through April 30, 2020. This includes reservations for all departure dates and products currently available for sale.

Those who are covered by the temporary exception to the standard booking policy can change their cruise date or cancel their cruise at any time up until 24 hours before their planned departure, without incurring fees. In either case they will be issued a voucher for future travel valid for 24 months, which can be used on a new reservation for any river, ocean or expedition cruise. These vouchers are non-transferrable and have no cash value. Other terms and conditions apply.

What this means for you:

Viking will pay commission on any*:
  1. Risk-Free Guarantee Future Cruise Voucher (FCV) booking.
  2. 125% FCV (as described above) booking.
    *Unless commission has already been paid on original booking.
We understand that this is a difficult time for all of us in the travel industry, and we thank you for your support. We hope that this announcement and the continuation of the Risk-Free Guarantee Program provides you with strong retention and sales tools that will help you continue to sell during this period of uncertainty, while providing your clients with the peace of mind they need and deserve.

Warm Regards,

michele_signature.jpg

Jan I know you have a pulse on whats going on over at O.....any word on what their position will be.....can they as a public company take similar action?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I've never considered Viking before, but this response to the current situation is both responsible & measured, without the usual corporate BS.

Edited by LaCroisiereS'amuse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoever is running Viking is a smart cookie!  IMHO What they pay now in refunds will come back to them big time in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow is right...probably won't be the first either!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jancruz:  Do you think Oceania will cancel cruises through the end of April also?  Just looking for your opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a sea of misinformation and scare stories, what a refreshingly pragmatic and sensible approach. Thanks for posting. Stay safe people! 😎👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Princess has followed suit- all cruise cancelled from 12 March to 11 May.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bbtondo said:

Whoever is running Viking is a smart cookie!  IMHO What they pay now in refunds will come back to them big time in the future.

If they are still in business to collect it-

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jancruz said:

What this means for your clients, they will have two choices:

Option #1 - A Future Cruise Voucher valued at 125% of all monies paid to Viking
Option #2 - A refund equal to the amount paid

For additional flexibility, if your clients are unable to use their voucher, we will automatically send them a refund equal to the original amount paid to Viking if the voucher expires. These Future Cruise Vouchers will also be fully transferable.

 

Wow.

Talk about taking the pressure off of their customers.

Under these terms, I would actually be tempted to take the 125% FCC instead of a full refund.

Under these unusual times I hope Oceania follows through with a similar policy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, StanandJim said:

If they are still in business to collect it-

 

I think many customers of every cruise line are wondering the same thing in reverse about the FCC they are receive when they cancel their booking. Will the CL be in business so I can collect on the FCC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, StanandJim said:

If they are still in business to collect it-

 

Plus 1

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2020 at 9:31 AM, bbqoug said:

Wow.

Talk about taking the pressure off of their customers.

Under these terms, I would actually be tempted to take the 125% FCC instead of a full refund.

Under these unusual times I hope Oceania follows through with a similar policy.

 

There is absolutely no risk as if the vouchers are unused, Viking will automatically do a cash refund.

 

Mia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, marylovestotravel said:

 

There is absolutely no risk as if the vouchers are unused, Viking will automatically do a cash refund.

 

Mia

if they don't go into bankruptcy....I'm not saying they will but we do not know where this will end at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, eldaradoe said:

if they don't go into bankruptcy....I'm not saying they will but we do not know where this will end at this point.

 

I'm afraid that is the scenario for the whole cruise industry. I imagine the market will shrink - perhaps remarkably. I am wondering if there will be a coronavirus associated recession, which will impact salaries and pensions. Those people who are living on the edge will have a tougher time!

 

Mia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, eldaradoe said:

if they don't go into bankruptcy....I'm not saying they will but we do not know where this will end at this point.

 

John & Elda,

 

I don't have you on my cancellation list. Are you in Lima?

 

Mia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, marylovestotravel said:

 

I'm afraid that is the scenario for the whole cruise industry. I imagine the market will shrink - perhaps remarkably. I am wondering if there will be a coronavirus associated recession, which will impact salaries and pensions. Those people who are living on the edge will have a tougher time!

 

Mia

yup....i for one rather get my cash back...no restrictions....as if they are giving something extra they will be trying to take it away from somewhere else...and that could be to service and quality...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, marylovestotravel said:

 

John & Elda,

 

I don't have you on my cancellation list. Are you in Lima?

 

Mia

i didn't cancel yet but my TA knows my intentions....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, eldaradoe said:

i didn't cancel yet but my TA knows my intentions....

 

 

I know there are several people on our roll call who have landed in Lima already. I hope that Oceania has contacted them about the cruise being cancelled. Did you get an official Oceania update about the cruise?

 

Mia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, marylovestotravel said:

 

I know there are several people on our roll call who have landed in Lima already. I hope that Oceania has contacted them about the cruise being cancelled. Did you get an official Oceania update about the cruise?

 

Mia

my TA informed me it's not official but it is.....they have only received the Official email earlier today for Regent.....it's just logistics as all the cruises are being terminated....I Couldn't imagine being in there shoes right now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...