Cruise Critic Community
Stickman1990

Carnival Suspends Global Princess Operations for 60 days

Just announced - Princess joining Viking in suspending operations...

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/12/carnivals-princess-cruises-to-pause-global-ship-operations-for-60-days-over-coronavirus.html?__source=sharebar|twitter&par=sharebar

I seriously wonder how long it will be before other lines follow suit 

The port closures and border rules on banned countries of origin are making it impossible to operate effectively 

1 minute ago, Stickman1990 said:

Just announced - Princess joining Viking in suspending operations...

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/12/carnivals-princess-cruises-to-pause-global-ship-operations-for-60-days-over-coronavirus.html?__source=sharebar|twitter&par=sharebar

I seriously wonder how long it will be before other lines follow suit 

The port closures and border rules on banned countries of origin are making it impossible to operate effectively 

Why just the Princess ships?  That makes no medical /scientific sense. 

For even more “entertainment” watch the Share market which has just opened 
NCL down 20% and Carnival down 10% 

It’s going to be a tough day at the office for Cruise line execs....

26 minutes ago, Psoque said:

I don’t think anyone’s said that’s the end of the suspensions - it’s just the begining

It makes no sense for Carnival to just suspend one of its many brands.  It is total nonsense.

Psoque,  Not meant as an inflammatory question...Do you feel that all cruises should be d/c until this virus outbreak subsides? Italy is in lockdown and I have read that Denmark is about to follow. It becomes increasingly difficult to embrace non essential travel as well as air travel. 

1 minute ago, PaulaJK said:

Italy is in lockdown and I have read that Denmark is about to follow. It becomes increasingly difficult to embrace non essential travel as well as air travel. 

I'm amazed it has taken so long. I can't imagine being a cruise line exec, trying to manage all the moving parts. 

Personally, I'm surprised that Crystal hasn't pulled the plug on the WC. A few days ago, I thought, if I was on board, I'd jump ship in Perth since I'd rather be trapped in Australia than in any of the places between there and Europe. Then I realized I was kidding myself, I would have left the ship in Sydney so wouldn't even be in the place of having to make that decision!

I note the Princess is looking for logical places to off-load those who are on cruises that end beyond March 17. Those ending up until then will continue as planned to make the logistics of getting home easier. 

If nothing else, at least those head office staff might get a day or two to rest, knowing that for a few days at least there won't be more bad news. 

11 minutes ago, CanadianKate said:

Personally, I'm surprised that Crystal hasn't pulled the plug on the WC

They have!
It ends in Perth next week 

I agree that other cruise lines will follow suit.   Things are changing hour by hour.  How can an industry that requires extensive planning and coordination keep pace with the changing events?  While I understand the financial hit the industry will take, it makes sense to stop cruising activities and to catch one's breath.  It allows the a cruise line to be proactive rather than reactive.  

Posted (edited)

Stick man,

With Symphony in dry dock and Serenity debarking in Perth, has Crystal clarified its plans for going forward? Serenity should be non booked as it was the WC but what is the plan for Symphony?

I wish all of you good health in your travels homeward.

Edited by PaulaJK
Grammar

4 minutes ago, PaulaJK said:

With Symphony in dry dock and Serenity debarking in Perth, has Crystal clarified its plans for going forward? Serenity should be non booked as it was the WC but what is the plan for Symphony?

My understanding 

Symphony - next scheduled cruise is Dubai to Rome 

Serenity - next scheduled cruise is in the Med - somewhere tba 

Dont ask me what specific voyages they will be - or if at all...

In reality that’s as of right now - I fully expect that to be changed in the next 24-48 hours - or even sooner! 

19 minutes ago, PaulaJK said:

Stick man,

I wish all of you good health in your travels homeward.

You may wish to bookmark this site to find out ports that are closed to cruise ships.  Although it won't tell you what Crystal is doing, it will give clues to what it is not doing. e.g not doing Dubai, not doing Israel, etc.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5097/

44 minutes ago, CanadianKate said:

Personally, I'm surprised that Crystal hasn't pulled the plug on the WC. A few days ago, I thought, if I was on board, I'd jump ship in Perth since I'd rather be trapped in Australia than in any of the places between there and Europe. 

Here is the notice distributed to all guests onboard on March 11:

March 11, 2020

Dear Mr. ,

We have been notified by the Central Government of India (Mumbai) that it is closing its ports to cruise ships until the end of March. While we looked at UAE (Dubai) as an alternative disembarkation port, this was not possible as the UAE Federal Transport Authority notified us that they too have now temporarily closed their ports to cruise ships. Due to this information and the uncertainty of other ports in the area potentially closing in the next few weeks, it is with deep regret that we have made the decision to conclude Crystal Serenity’s World Cruise in Perth, Australia on March 20.

Please accept our sincere apologies for this disappointing end to your World Cruise and the disruptions over the past month. Although the current circumstance is no one’s fault, we know that this was not the vacation you had planned.

We will refund you for the unused days of the cruise fare paid as well as the corresponding port charges, taxes and fees. As a gesture of goodwill, we are extending a 25% discount on any Crystal experience through 2022. This is a new and separate discount from the previous 30% discount that you received on February 28. Please note that these discounts cannot be used together on the same reservation. In addition, neither of these are combinable with any other offer except for Book Now Savings.

Guests who booked their air through Crystal should email AirServices@crystalcruises.com to coordinate their new flights at no cost to them. New travel arrangements will be communicated to them as soon as they are confirmed.

Guests who made independent air travel arrangements will need to schedule new flights out of Perth with their travel advisor or airline. We will provide a $1,000 per person consideration for changed travel arrangements that will be automatically posted to these guests’ onboard folio.

Should you have any questions, please visit the reception desk.

On behalf of everyone at Crystal, we want to thank you for your understanding and for being a part of the Crystal Family. We look forward to welcoming you back onboard very soon.

We remain at your service.

Sincerely,

Tom Wolber
President & CEO
Crystal

And to add to what Rob (Ryndam) posted, the letter was dated March 11, but that was in Australia. It was still March 10 in the US.

Patty

I obviously didn't expect to learn this in this thread instead of the coronovirus or WC threads. 

Both sorry and relieved to hear this. I've been following both the Crystal and Cunard on-board reports of their trips. 

2 hours ago, Psoque said:

Given that Princess took two huge hits for Diamond and Grand, I see this as a pre-emptive PR move to try to salvage the brand name for future operations.  Likely that other Carnival brands will follow, but this is (IMO) marketing-driven.

23 hours ago, PaulaJK said:

Psoque,  Not meant as an inflammatory question...Do you feel that all cruises should be d/c until this virus outbreak subsides? Italy is in lockdown and I have read that Denmark is about to follow. It becomes increasingly difficult to embrace non essential travel as well as air travel. 

I'm just saying that Carnival is being rather disingenuous by just suspending Princess ships.

1 hour ago, Psoque said:

I'm just saying that Carnival is being rather disingenuous by just suspending Princess ships.

Carnival...disingenuous?  I'm shocked!! 

(Cue Captain Renault).