Jump to content

Princess halts global operations for 60 days


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, boeckli said:

 

Who says they won't be paid?

This  ships are all flags of convenience - I'm sure the officers will get paid - but I very much doubt the cleaners and waiters - who rely on tips anyways will get  much from the employer 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Wonder where they will park them all ?

 

All over the world I reckon, time for them to deep clean anyway.  They might keep their bridgecams on.

Edited by NSWP
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lissie said:

This  ships are all flags of convenience - I'm sure the officers will get paid - but I very much doubt the cleaners and waiters - who rely on tips anyways will get  much from the employer 

Crew on the Australian based ships are on a contracted remuneration, like employees in jobs in the general community. Those on Princess ships in other parts of the world, receive a guaranteed amount of remuneration, most coming from the tips pool.

 

We don't know whether their contracts allow for early termination in the present circumstances. Princess may fly some of them home and pay out their contracts. Others might remain on board to carry out deep cleaning and even basic maintenance.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Some crew  may also select to take their holidays which would also be covered in their contracts 

Only the officers and the Cruise Director's staff would have holidays as part of their employment contract. Most of the crew are only paid during their contracts. This is the normal practice in the maritime industry as well as the cruise industry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing I do know is, most of us  wont  have any real idea what the actual truth is and are usually just best guessing 🤔 
One thing I think we might be able to take a guess at - Princess will be trying to do their very best by everyone impacted by this whole sad event: Company, Passengers, Staff and Crew and all the extended affected families if needed. 
My 10c worth 😉 

Edited by Porky55
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a feeling in my bones all crew will receive their pay for the 60 days on non operational Princess ships.  Watch for the fares to jump when this is over to pay wages and all the cruise credits, refunds, obc being handed out like lollies.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I have a feeling in my bones all crew will receive their pay for the 60 days on non operational Princess ships.  Watch for the fares to jump when this is over to pay wages and all the cruise credits, refunds, obc being handed out like lollies.

 

Fares aren't going to jump. That only works in a bull market, and with confidence about cruises down - sailing occupancy is already way down, and many in the public are skeptical, there's no grounds to push prices up. If they price high they will continue to be empty, and go out of business. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:


Good luck with the World Cruise . 

I can't see how the World Cruise can go ahead. Several countries have closed their ports to cruise ships including Asian ports, Italy and Norway. USA is closed temporarily to visitors from Europe: that would include the WC. Canada is closed to cruise ship visits until 1st July. If this is extended it would prevent the Sea Princess visiting Halifax in late July.

 

I feel the international situation with the spread of the virus and countries restricting visits, is going to get worse before it gets better (I know, a cliche).

Edited by Aus Traveller
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

I can't see how the World Cruise can go ahead. Several countries have closed their ports to cruise ships including Asian ports, Italy and Norway. USA is closed temporarily to visitors from Europe: that would include the WC. Canada is closed to cruise ship visits until 1st July. If this is extended it would prevent the Sea Princess visiting Halifax in late July.

 

I feel the international situation with the spread of the virus and countries restricting visits, is going to get worse before it gets better (I know, a cliche).

I checked this morning, not that I am going, but the 12 May Worldie is not sold out now.  But no price reductions !!  A lot of CC'ers on here booked on it.  Time will tell if it is a goer or a whoa.🤨

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, banzaii said:

Did somebody say port botany???

Plenty of room at Port Botany for the non operational ships, lets just build a big cruise terminal there, or perhaps Garden Island.🤣

Edited by NSWP
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Virgin Voyages. It's Go Time
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...