What happens if parked at NY port and they don't let the ship dock?

myk249

Leaving at the end of March and debating canceling. We are driving to NY and parking at the port.

Not thinking of canceling because of the virus, but worried about getting stuck on the ship for a few weeks. We can work mobile so we would bring what we need to be able to work from the ship. But..what happens to my car if it's there for an extended period?

I'm guessing you'll have a heck of a tab to pay when you finally drive off.  Here is the contact info for the Manhattan Cruise Terminal parking folks.   That would be a good question to ask.   Please let us know if you find anything out.  Good question, btw.

https://www.nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/parking/

• Like 2

I had had the same thought. I am supposed to be flying to NYC Sunday morning for my Bliss sailing, but with the plane literally almost empty at the moment (I see 7 seat as unavailable...), I am worried the flight will be canceled. So my Plan C (after running down the list of other potential flights that could get me to the port on time) is to drive. But then the concern becomes, what happens if my car is stuck at a garage in NYC for more than the scheduled week (I don't actually park at the cruise terminal when sailing out of NYC, I park at Pier 83). Hope I won't have to find out!

Most NYC parking garages prorate by time, so if you stay longer, you pay more, but that's about it. They want to know how long you're parking so that they know how many cars they can park in front of yours while you're away. But if you tell them your situation that should work out fine.

If your itinerary starts and ends in NYC, it's hard to imagine a situation where the ship didn't get back. They have to send another cruise out about 8 to 12 hours after your cruise ends.

6 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I had had the same thought. I am supposed to be flying to NYC Sunday morning for my Bliss sailing, but with the plane literally almost empty at the moment (I see 7 seat as unavailable...), I am worried the flight will be canceled. So my Plan C (after running down the list of other potential flights that could get me to the port on time) is to drive. But then the concern becomes, what happens if my car is stuck at a garage in NYC for more than the scheduled week (I don't actually park at the cruise terminal when sailing out of NYC, I park at Pier 83). Hope I won't have to find out!

I work in an office with someone on your sailing.  She had originally booked a balcony, last week upgraded to spa mini suite and then today found out for $400 each ($800 total), they were upgraded to Haven Forward Facing Cabin. Have you been trying to get an upgrade?  I hope you do sail, I enjoy reading your posts.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, js said:

I work in an office with someone on your sailing.  She had originally booked a balcony, last week upgraded to spa mini suite and then today found out for $400 each ($800 total), they were upgraded to Haven Forward Facing Cabin. Have you been trying to get an upgrade?  I hope you do sail, I enjoy reading your posts.

I did call my PCC to try to get an upgrade today, but the challenge is that I am sailing solo on this one and everything above a certain cabin category doesn't waive the solo suppliment. So I would have to pay double what i already paid first and then more on top of that for any kind of upgrade. My only hope is to win a bid through the Upgrade Advantage Program, but even there, I only bid on a spa balcony (am in a regular balcony now), because I am not interested in the spa mini-suite locations and the minimum bid for any Haven is $400x2. I don't really want to pay $800+ to sail solo in the Haven. However, I have several bids for Haven suites in for the 3/22 sailing when my SO is joining me for the second leg of my B2B.

1 minute ago, JamieLogical said:

I did call my PCC to try to get an upgrade today, but the challenge is that I am sailing solo on this one and everything above a certain cabin category doesn't waive the solo suppliment. So I would have to pay double what i already paid first and then more on top of that for any kind of upgrade. My only hope is to win a bid through the Upgrade Advantage Program, but even there, I only bid on a spa balcony (am in a regular balcony now), because I am not interested in the spa mini-suite locations and the minimum bid for any Haven is $400x2. I don't really want to pay $800+ to sail solo in the Haven. However, I have several bids for Haven suites in for the 3/22 sailing when my SO is joining me for the second leg of my B2B.

Good luck! 

1 hour ago, myk249 said:

Leaving at the end of March and debating canceling. We are driving to NY and parking at the port.

Not thinking of canceling because of the virus, but worried about getting stuck on the ship for a few weeks. We can work mobile so we would bring what we need to be able to work from the ship. But..what happens to my car if it's there for an extended period?

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

You'll get a big bill when you get off....kidding. Probably nothing will happen

1 hour ago, ColeThornton said:

I'm guessing you'll have a heck of a tab to pay when you finally drive off.  Here is the contact info for the Manhattan Cruise Terminal parking folks.   That would be a good question to ask.   Please let us know if you find anything out.  Good question, btw.

https://www.nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/parking/

If you park at the cruise terminal you pay for your parking as you enter . You don't get any type of hang tag or other document to to display in your car, you just get a paper ticket that you turn in at the entrance to the actual parking lot you're using. There are no hourly parking rates. They don'y have any facilities to collect money from you when you leave. You just drive out.

Based on the mechanics of the parking payment system my educated guess is that you wouldn't be charged an extra dime in the event your departure from the parking lot was delayed due to the ship's arrival being delayed.

45 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

If you park at the cruise terminal you pay for your parking as you enter . You don't get any type of hang tag or other document to to display in your car, you just get a paper ticket that you turn in at the entrance to the actual parking lot you're using. There are no hourly parking rates. They don'y have any facilities to collect money from you when you leave. You just drive out.

Based on the mechanics of the parking payment system my educated guess is that you wouldn't be charged an extra dime in the event your departure from the parking lot was delayed due to the ship's arrival being delayed.

I was thinking the same, stick with the cruise terminal for parking, you'll have more leverage. I definitely would not go to any private facilities to save a buck.  If your ship is delayed the next cruise parkers won't be allowed in the lot yet anyway.

Wonder what’s happening with the cars that are in San Francisco that the passengers had to get off in Oakland.    And being quarantined all over the US.   Lol.  Just sayin.  

13 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

they will charge you extra per day , and if you dont pay you wont be able to take it out. 

How do you know this? Has this ever happened? You pay before you park. There is a maximum rate, I think it would be up to NCL to pay if anything.

4 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

How do you know this? Has this ever happened? You pay before you park. There is a maximum rate, I think it would be up to NCL to pay if anything.

yes i was stuck on a ship during hurricane harvey. i prepaid also,. for 7 days, and i had to pay $11 a day six more days. 

Edited by seaman11

1 hour ago, CruzinQs said:

do you think they may tow the cars to make room for another cruise ships passengers?

11 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

yes i was stuck on a ship during hurricane harvey. i prepaid also,. for 7 days, and i had to pay $11 a day six more days. 

If the ship doesn't make it back, there ain't more cruisers coming in because there isn't any ship to board. 

Edited by bedfordmom
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bedfordmom said:

If the ship doesn't make it back, there ain't more cruisers coming in because there isn't any ship to board. 

i wasnt replying to that question, only that he pays more i went through it  .  i agree with what you said. 

26 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

yes i was stuck on a ship during hurricane harvey. i prepaid also,. for 7 days, and i had to pay $11 a day four more days. 

At the Manhattan Cruise Terminal? $11 a day would be a steal! It's usually $40/day!

40 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

What happened? I live in the NYC area and don’t remember getting hit by Harvey (and I don’t think parking was ever even close to $11 a day).

Thanks for all the replies. I've tried calling a couple of times today but it goes straight to voicemail.

I'm fine with paying for the extra time, I just want my car to be there whenever I do arrive.  

15 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

What happened? I live in the NYC area and don’t remember getting hit by Harvey (and I don’t think parking was ever even close to $11 a day).

yeah you will pay more per day, mine happened in Galveston port. hurrican harvey i was on the ship 6 extra days.