Looking on the bright side

So there's a lot of negativity, but why not have a thread focusing on any positives that have come out of all this drama for you. Whether you've scored a great upgrade deal or gotten an FCC for a cruise you wanted to cancel or anything else, share your positive spin!

For us:

I was just given a new job that I'm scheduled to start in two weeks. They approved me taking off for my B2B med cruises I had booked, but I would have to take two weeks of leave without pay. If we cancel the cruise, I don't have to take two weeks of LWOP. Bright side!

We have two additional future cruises booked on Royal. The FCC from cancelling our med cruises will pay our balance on those two in full, including enough for an upgrade on our Australia cruise. Bright side!

Do you have any bright sides?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, UGACamper said:

If our cruise is cancelled, we have decided to continue with our vacation and travel to The Keys in our RV instead.  Bright Side!

We're also opting for land vacations for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

My family used to own a home in LBI, NJ - very nice island    I have plenty of fond memories growing up and spending the summers and various holidays at the shore house.    I was very sad when they sold the home when my Brother and I were teenagers and starting college and my Father was tired of repairing storm damage, flooding, etc.   

While instead of going on our 2 cruises this Spring I have booked a house rental for 2 weeks one street over from my old house.    Bright Side!

• Like 3

Bright side: got an upgrade on Monday 3/9 from an inside gty to a balcony for our March 15th 12 night Eastern/Southern Caribbean cruise.

Dark side: had to cancel the next day 3/10 due to the coronavirus (wife has a compromised immune system)

1 hour ago, UGACamper said:

If our cruise is cancelled, we have decided to continue with our vacation and travel to The Keys in our RV instead.  Bright Side!

You'll enjoy the Keys, it's beautiful down here weather by land or ship!

• Like 1

The bright side for us: we will likely switch to land based vacation in HI, if we can still fly. Since our trip isn't until May 1st, maybe things will improve by then. Hubby has 2 weeks off of work for this trip, so we will travel somewhere, even if we have to road trip.

• Like 1

Bright side:  upgraded my sister and aunt from inside cabin on Ovation to balcony cabin, at the end of May due to price decreases.  Still hoping for best. 🙂

Another bright side:  if we have to reschedule and aunt is unwilling to go the next time due to health, my sister is the primary in the cabin, and most of the future cruise credit will go to her.

Bright side relief:  since insurance isn't paying if cancelled due to Covid-19, at least RCI is allowing cancellations up to 48 hours ahead.

Additional bright side:  our 35th anniversary cruise isn't till December.  Really hoping things are back on track by then.  🙂

Work bright side:  they are planning on greater mobility for us to work from home as a result of this situation.

1 hour ago, barbeyg said:

Bright side:  upgraded my sister and aunt from inside cabin on Ovation to balcony cabin, at the end of May due to price decreases.  Still hoping for best.

Not so bright side - that sailing will likely be cancelled.

My bright side is that I don't have to be the one making the decisions on this.  I'm currently arguing with my (elderly) (slightly compromised) parents about the measures that they are going to be doing during this outbreak. As long as they can't go on the cruise, it's a battle I don't have to fight.  Off to another discussion on how "stay out of stores, I will do your shopping for you" does not go away if you're "anxious and want to get showerheads".  Especially since they are for my house!

• Like 1

Bright side - Once things get back to normal, protocols will be in place to work even harder at keeping the germs down... And, hopefully, all of this will make passengers more aware about disease transmission in general and they will washy washy like it's going out of style....

• Like 2

Good idea for a thread.  Our April 5 cruise was canceled, and I'm reeling from the loss of all the "nonrefundable" reservations I'm having to cancel, and the airfare "credits" that I will most likely never get to use (because we found an obscure fare on an airline that's historically too expensive for us to fly.)  That being said, we took the FCC which gave us an extra $500. That will allow us to book Harmony in July, which was out of our price range before. We are super excited to experience this great ship, and hopeful all this hoopla will be over by then. Best wishes to everyone, and happy sailing!

Smiling...some good things that may come out of all this:

* Food will be served in the Windjammer.  No self service.

* Sinks will be available outside the entrance of all dining venues. (Like on the Ovation.)

* Elevator would have an "elevator person" pushing buttons...are you old enough to remember when they had this?

* Hand wipes near the stairs.

* "Virtual" muster drill.

* More distance between seats/tables in the dining room, and theater, and schooner bar, and windjammer, and yes, the diamond and concierge lounges........hahaha, wishful thinking on my part..."ain't gonna happen".

41 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

Smiling...some good things that may come out of all this:

* Food will be served in the Windjammer.  No self service.

* Sinks will be available outside the entrance of all dining venues. (Like on the Ovation.)

* Elevator would have an "elevator person" pushing buttons...are you old enough to remember when they had this?

* Hand wipes near the stairs.

* "Virtual" muster drill.

* More distance between seats/tables in the dining room, and theater, and schooner bar, and windjammer, and yes, the diamond and concierge lounges........hahaha, wishful thinking on my part..."ain't gonna happen".

I remember when WJ had waiters to order/serve Dinners. Had tablecloths and candles... Even before this never touched/used Elevators always taking stairs, railings or door handles. Even move my chair in/out with foot/sleeve. Fortunately I'm physically able... 

Edited by ONECRUISER