Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
gary6177

Port of Baltimore Closed

Recommended Posts

The governor of Maryland just declared a state of emergency and closed the port of baltimore effectively immediately for all outgoing cruises.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get that there is a news conference going on right now, but we need a link that actually shows this as true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please note that he announced an exception for currently sailing vessels. So, presumably,  the Pride will be able to disembark.

 

The governors website is so jammed with traffic that I cannot get access to the executive order language directly, but I will try and come back and post that later when there is less traffic on the website.

 

Stay safe!

 

dctravel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, dctravel said:

Please note that he announced an exception for currently sailing vessels. So, presumably,  the Pride will be able to disembark.

 

The governors website is so jammed with traffic that I cannot get access to the executive order language directly, but I will try and come back and post that later when there is less traffic on the website.

 

Stay safe!

 

dctravel

great info!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AmBear said:

great info!

Well, actually the Info stinks, but a good post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

carnival needs to expand their cancellation policy and allow anyone to cancel for a full refund that has a cruise scheduled in the next 3 months. It is the right thing to do.

 

Edited by gary6177

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless it's in the executive order - no one knows how long the port is closed for. Could be just a couple of weeks. He did close schools for two weeks as well. 3/16-3/27. April cruisers could still be spared. 

 

My guess is CCL and RC probably wasn't informed by the Gov prior to making this change - so it might be a couple days before we hear from the lines on what they are going to do for those upcoming 2-3 cruises.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! The governor of NY declared a state of emergency 5 days ago and we have way more cases but the ports are open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, gary6177 said:

carnival needs to expand their cancellation policy and allow anyone to cancel for a full refund that has a cruise scheduled in the next 3 months. It is the right thing to do.

 

They have. You can now cancel up to 30 days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Surrealistic said:

Wow! The governor of NY declared a state of emergency 5 days ago and we have way more cases but the ports are open.

Are are your schools closed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

Are are your schools closed?

Only in specific cluster areas as of now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Surrealistic said:

Only in specific cluster areas as of now.

Thanks for info. I'm not sure if the steps are warranted in Maryland. Though it could preempt having a huge outbreak. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I don't see the reason for closing the port - unless it's preventing groups of more than 250 per the governors order. The virus is already here. These leaders still think its a "foreign disease". Sorry, not anymore. 

 

Closing schools for two weeks does what exactly? It's already been shown that kids are pretty immune to this virus. It's the elderly and unhealthy. So close the casinos. Close the senior social clubs.

Edited by OMGOMGOMG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Surrealistic said:

Wow! The governor of NY declared a state of emergency 5 days ago and we have way more cases but the ports are open.

Probably not for long

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, OMGOMGOMG said:

I don't see the reason for closing the port - unless it's preventing groups of more than 250 per the governors order. The virus is already here. These leaders still think its a "foreign disease". Sorry, not anymore. 

 

Closing schools for two weeks does what exactly? It's already been shown that kids are pretty immune to this virus. It's the elderly and unhealthy. So close the casinos. Close the senior social clubs.

Some counies have closed the senior clubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, disfan13 said:

They have. You can now cancel up to 30 days. 

I'm on a charter cruise.  We can't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, OMGOMGOMG said:

I don't see the reason for closing the port - unless it's preventing groups of more than 250 per the governors order. The virus is already here. These leaders still think its a "foreign disease". Sorry, not anymore. 

 

Closing schools for two weeks does what exactly? It's already been shown that kids are pretty immune to this virus. It's the elderly and unhealthy. So close the casinos. Close the senior social clubs.

 

There are a lot of staff in those school that are not young. Kids are not immune to the virus they just don't the symptoms that are a severe but they can certainly spread the virus. 

 

Right now it's all about prevention as much as possible.  We don't have near the medical facilities necessary to handle a major outbreak.  Look at what is happening in Italy they have more beds per one thousand people than the US and they are completely overwhelmed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, OMGOMGOMG said:

I don't see the reason for closing the port - unless it's preventing groups of more than 250 per the governors order. The virus is already here. These leaders still think its a "foreign disease". Sorry, not anymore. 

 

Closing schools for two weeks does what exactly? It's already been shown that kids are pretty immune to this virus. It's the elderly and unhealthy. So close the casinos. Close the senior social clubs.

Have you seen what is happening in italy? Google it and take a look and see what’s happening and then report back.

 

senior social clubs are closed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...