Jump to content

Oceana not docking in Spain


BestGuessed
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just to update the situation for everyone who is watching the Cruise Critic website to see what is happening at present. We are on board Oceana. Should have been docking in Malaga today but the ship has turned round after early morning announcement from the captain that we are not being permitted to dock in Spain as borders are now closed. This cruise was then due to dock in Valencia, Barcelona and Cadiz. We haven’t heard any more news and we await a further update as to whether we are headed back to Southampton or if we will still be docking in Lisbon.
Home to Southampton is our personal preferred option but we may need fuel/supplies ... we just don’t know until the next announcement comes from the captain. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry that you are stuck in that situation and thanks for taking the time to provide an update.

 

The first of many cruises to nowhere I suspect if ships continue to sail. There are now so very few ports open that P&O must be considering following Viking, Princess and SAGA in cancelling full cruises as leats for a while.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BestGuessed said:

We haven’t heard any more news and we await a further update as to whether we are headed back to Southampton or if we will still be docking in Lisbon.

 

Portugal is allowing cruise ships to dock to take on supplies but passengers are not allowed to get off unless they happen to be residents of Portugal.

This measure was announced by the Portuguese Prime Minister yesterday evening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for giving us that Fiona .... that is very reassuring and more information than we have received on board. We have heard nothing since 7am when the announcement was made that we wouldn’t be permitted to dock in Spain. At present we have no idea where we are travelling to ... Gibraltar perhaps? Lisbon a possibility?? Or even Southampton??
It is certainly becoming a not very magical, mystery tour. 🤔🥴😢

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At 2.20pm just heard from the captain’s announcement that we are heading towards  Gibraltar and if we get clearance we will be docked there overnight.   No further information was given so perhaps we will pick up some supplies and begin heading back towards Southampton tomorrow. We are just waiting to hear the future plan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for posting the updates 'best guessed'. My mum is on this cruise with her friend and messaged me earlier saying they were unable to embark in Malaga and I haven't heard anything since I presume she hasn't got a signal. Hopefully they manage to get supplies and you all get back safe and well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In fairness to the company I’m sure they’re scrambling to find some where to go as well given ports are closing at a rapid pace.  Under normal circumstances I’m sure it would be much easier to call ahead and ask if there’s room to dock on short notice but these are far from normal circumstances. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

following you on AIS, can see you are turning in for Gibraltar.  Aurora has turned south after being refused entry to Norway.

 

Looks like it.

We know the Production Manager was due to get off in Malaga from speaking to her last week. She was then going to join Iona.

We'll message her and see what's happening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

She's coming back to Southampton as well after Gib - wonder if her next cruise will be cancelled as well.

 

With Ventura due back soon there will be 3 European based ships with nowhere to go.

 

The PM has said she will get off there but has to now go home for 2 weeks before joining Iona. They are obviously taking no chances of transmission between ships.

 

We advised her to bring back plenty of bog roll and hand sanitiser from the stores! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, NoFlyGuy said:

She's coming back to Southampton as well after Gib - wonder if her next cruise will be cancelled as well.

 

With Ventura due back soon there will be 3 European based ships with nowhere to go.

 

The PM has said she will get off there but has to now go home for 2 weeks before joining Iona. They are obviously taking no chances of transmission between ships.

 

We advised her to bring back plenty of bog roll and hand sanitiser from the stores! 

 

Is the return to Southampton official?  Not doubting your source, but it seems a little worrying that information about onward plans are being shared through unofficial channels.  Add to the fact the next scheduled cruise is meant to be the repositioning to Malta for the fly Med season so is that now in jeopardy too?  I can only imagine the glass windows in Carnival House are well and truly fogged over due to the steam pouring out of everyone's ears in there trying to figure this out 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Captain_Morgan said:

 

Is the return to Southampton official?  Not doubting your source, but it seems a little worrying that information about onward plans are being shared through unofficial channels.  Add to the fact the next scheduled cruise is meant to be the repositioning to Malta for the fly Med season so is that now in jeopardy too?  I can only imagine the glass windows in Carnival House are well and truly fogged over due to the steam pouring out of everyone's ears in there trying to figure this out 

 

That's what she said.

I expect there will be posts on the Facebook Oceana group from passengers coming up soon as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, NoFlyGuy said:

 

That's what she said.

I expect there will be posts on the Facebook Oceana group from passengers coming up soon as well.

 

Apologies....i misread your post as when i see PM the first thing that came to mind was dear Boris 🤣 and as such i guess i utuned out a bit thereafter

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oceana is now docked in Gibraltar. Passengers have been allowed ashore provided they do not cross the border to Spain. No update as to what happens next apart from we are supposed to be leaving here later this afternoon. Where we are are headed is anyone’s guess but my husband and I just want to get back to Southampton and thereafter home again ASAP. 
As my last post said  ..... this has turned into a “not very magical mystery tour.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...