Time for Oceania to review Cancellations ??

roger b

On 3/21/2020 at 10:49 AM, susiesan said:

Jan, is Oceania about to cancel a bunch of May and June cruises? They are all showing waitlisted as of today. Can you check with your contact?

Yes, Jan, we would like to know this also.  Please let us know what you find out!
😘

Judy & John Nicholson

On 3/22/2020 at 10:51 AM, Paulchili said:

Jan - does this apply to even cruises cancelled by Oceania - only FCC and no refund?

No, if they canceled the cruise you have your choice of reufnd or FCC usually 125%..but who knows if it will change..

Jancruz1

• Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 5:18 PM, Jancruz said:

No, of they cancel the ship it is a refund..but it will be about 90 days before you see your money..

Truthfully they send out new emails almost every day which makes it hard to follow..but Paul remember in addition to the three cruise lines not sailing..they had to get everyone to work from home

Which is a huge move..including even the Presidents..I know no one feels sorry for the huge corporations, but the res agents, revenue,customer service and all those people are really nervous and I dont blame them..they all have families and if their jobs go..its a huge problem..

My heart goes out to EVERYONE in the staff

Jancruz1

I see that Azamara are refunding cancellation  money  in 30 days why do Oceania want 90 days to process  a  refund .

If they do cancel all the 14 cruises  planned for the Month  of May and 25% of the guests accepted  a cruise credit it woulcd leave about 1800 accounts needing a cash refund ,not sure if the maths are 100% correct, but even so 90 days ? Come on !!

Edited by roger b
Spelling

Roger ... maybe a little "apples to oranges" comparison here? Azamara operates 3 ships with a total of approximately 2,050 passengers. Oceania operates 6 ships that accommodate a total of approximately 5,200 passengers. And, as far as your math - "1800 accounts needing cash refunds" ... those 14 cruises (sailing full) would be carrying approximately 13,000 passengers (8 'R sailings and 6 'O sailings). Assuming 2 passengers per account would mean 6,500 accounts. And, with your estimate of 25% accepting a FCC, that would mean approximately 4,875 accounts to be refunded. So, with all that's going on in the industry ... and the world ... right now, cut them a little slack and be happy to get your refund.

22 minutes ago, bigmjh said:

Roger ... maybe a little "apples to oranges" comparison here? Azamara operates 3 ships with a total of approximately 2,050 passengers. Oceania operates 6 ships that accommodate a total of approximately 5,200 passengers. And, as far as your math - "1800 accounts needing cash refunds" ... those 14 cruises (sailing full) would be carrying approximately 13,000 passengers (8 'R sailings and 6 'O sailings). Assuming 2 passengers per account would mean 6,500 accounts. And, with your estimate of 25% accepting a FCC, that would mean approximately 4,875 accounts to be refunded. So, with all that's going on in the industry ... and the world ... right now, cut them a little slack and be happy to get your refund.

Yes my maths are wrong , 4875 accounts  is a small amount to process since they have had my full payment  already for 4 months and with electronic  accounting I personaly see no reason  for them to have my money  for 7 months see if your bank will wait for a payment  you would be paying interest 

Edited by roger b
Spelling
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, cruisingaussies said:

Azamara just extended their cruise suspensions to May 11, 2020

"....... we have decided to further extend our temporary global suspension and we anticipate that we’ll be back on the high seas after May 11th, 2020." 

https://www.azamara.com/travel-advisory

I love this line:

Given how fluid this situation is, and the opportunity to use the extra credit being offered, you have plenty of time to make up your mind. You do not need to request your refund until 31 December 2021.

I wonder how many are willing to postpone getting their refund for almost two years 😀

On a somewhat related note, I wonder if O will also extend their suspension till May 11 ( one month after current suspension which is April 11). If so, I would be not very happy as our cruise is May 13th and that would mean waiting another month for cancellation of the cruise - I really don't think they will cruise in May and even if they did I would not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jancruz said:

No, if they canceled the cruise you have your choice of reufnd or FCC usually 125%..but who knows if it will change..

Jancruz1

Thanks Jan - I hope it won't change for May cruises as I would prefer a refund if they cancel.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, roger b said:

Yes my maths are wrong , 4875 accounts  is a small amount to process since they have had my full payment  already for 4 months and with electronic  accounting I personaly see no reason  for them to have my money  for 7 months see if your bank will wait for a payment  you would be paying interest 

100 percent in agreement!  This whole situation is bad and I can't wait for it to be over.  As far as the cruise lines, they're really quick to take your money months and months before you sail, now they are dragging their feet.  In this day and age we all know how quickly this can be done.  Everything else is just an excuse to keep our money.  JMHO 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, roger b said:

I see that Azamara are refunding cancellation  money  in 30 days why do Oceania want 90 days to process  a  refund .

If they do cancel all the 14 cruises  planned for the Month  of May and 25% of the guests accepted  a cruise credit it woulcd leave about 1800 accounts needing a cash refund ,not sure if the maths are 100% correct, but even so 90 days ? Come on !!

Maybe  it takes longer with 6 ships (5200 pax) compared to  3 ships (2000 pax)  to work out all the refunds

• Like 1

I hope Oceania cancels my June cruise now so I can apply the $1500 deposit they have had for over a year to a cruise with them in August 2021. They will either be totally functional or bankrupt by then. If they go under my credit card travel insurance would cover the $1500 under financial insolvency of a travel operator. There is no way Oceania will be sailing in June, let alone May. The airlines won't have their international routes up and running by then. Most countries around the world are closed at least through May, not accepting visitors.

It is even iffy if I will make it to Namibia in September.

Edited by susiesan

32 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe  it takes longer with 6 ships (5200 pax) compared to  3 ships (2000 pax)  to work out all the refunds

I have always been a flag waver for Oceania , But here we differ it takes no longer to press the button for 5200  account refunds  as 2000, and definitely 2 months longer !!!

• Like 2

6 ships, capacity 5200.  From now until June 30, 95 days.  Say an average of 10 day cruises, so about 9 cruises per ship.  9x5200=46800 pax.  Almost all paying for 2 people at a time... so 23,400 accounts.  Say 25% take the future cruise credit.... 17,550 checks.  Plus the accounting for all 23,400 accounts.  This does not take into account the people cancelling now, for cruises well ahead of July.

We were cancelled off a June Tokyo cruise, and one was refunded within 30 days. Three of us rebooked to September and December so rolled the money forward. Another couple also got their refund within 30 days. I think the 90 window was them giving themselves time to handle the volume because the people were fielding thousands of calls a day. 
NCLH tapped credit lines and the Government is stepping up to ensure the industry stays “afloat”. Don’t panic, they are a very good company and they care about their guests. Why else would you see 60-70% returnees on your cruises. The Club Ambassador’s parties, are always jammed. 
I am in contact with several ship staff from Regatta and Riviera and even though they have no passengers, the crew is being well taken care of by Oceania. They too want to get home to see family during these terrible times.

Things will all shake out in time but not everyone will be happy. It is impossible to make everyone happy all the time but they do an excellent job of trying to achieve the impossible. 

23 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

6 ships, capacity 5200.  From now until June 30, 95 days.  Say an average of 10 day cruises, so about 9 cruises per ship.  9x5200=46800 pax.  Almost all paying for 2 people at a time... so 23,400 accounts.  Say 25% take the future cruise credit.... 17,550 checks.  Plus the accounting for all 23,400 accounts.  This does not take into account the people cancelling now, for cruises well ahead of July.

You are giving figures up till the end of July Oceania are only cancelling one month at a time and have not cancelled May's sailings yet. I was only talking about the next swath of cancellations in may consists of 14 cruises , , my beef is the 90 days to process a refund.  

8 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

We were cancelled off a June Tokyo cruise, and one was refunded within 30 days

If I am not mistaken, these were some of the earliest cancellations before the huge back-log of current cancellations.

We had friends who received their refund within a week of cancellation early on.

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Nonsense.

Should we wait twice as long in the MDR because there are twice as many pax? No...larger ships have more staff.

Larger lines should have more back office staff.

21 hours ago, Shawnino said:

Nonsense.

Should we wait twice as long in the MDR because there are twice as many pax? No...larger ships have more staff.

Larger lines should have more back office staff.

What is the rush?

There certainly isn't anything else (I was going to insert the word comparable here, but I will stick with anything) to spend it on.  

As I get older, Rodgers & Hart get more wise:

Sit there, and count the raindrops
Falling on you
It's time you knew
All you can count on is the raindrops
That fall on little girl blue

19 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

What is the rush?

There certainly isn't anything else (I was going to insert the word comparable here, but I will stick with anything) to spend it on.  

As I get older, Rodgers & Hart get more wise:

Sit there, and count the raindrops
Falling on you
It's time you knew
All you can count on is the raindrops
That fall on little girl blue

Since we are down to analogies now !!

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush !!!!!!

• Like 1

On 3/25/2020 at 7:02 AM, Paulchili said:

I love this line:

Given how fluid this situation is, and the opportunity to use the extra credit being offered, you have plenty of time to make up your mind. You do not need to request your refund until 31 December 2021.

I wonder how many are willing to postpone getting their refund for almost two years 😀

On a somewhat related note, I wonder if O will also extend their suspension till May 11 ( one month after current suspension which is April 11). If so, I would be not very happy as our cruise is May 13th and that would mean waiting another month for cancellation of the cruise - I really don't think they will cruise in May and even if they did I would not.

we are due to sail on the 19th April on Riviera and are being told that still going ahead!  So think you will be waiting a lot longer for notification on May cruises!

• Like 2