Explorer drydock postponed

From RC last month ... 

“In these unprecedented times, in addition to voluntarily suspending our global operations, port closures and travel restrictions have also affected the possibility of moving forward with our amplifications of Explorer of the Seas in Brest, France and Allure of the Seas in Cadiz, Spain this spring. Both amplifications have been put on hold at this time. With global developments rapidly evolving, we are reviewing all options to bring Explorer and Allure into dry dock this year and determining the extent of the enhancements we can implement.”

25 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

With any luck , possible France May offer incentives to RCL to do the drydock to give workers a job 

of course this is just wishful thinking 

I would like to see new bars , I am not sure if I can fit into the water slide 😂

I love your optimism 😊. I’d like if they put in Playmakers. The menu looks good. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking at booking Explorer for a Jan 2021 ABC island cruise.  The concierge lounge last year was mid-ship on deck 9, but with the AMP, they were converting it to inside staterooms.  I guess if they don't do anything but a mandatory drydock, the concierge lounge will stay put for 2021?  🍷

If the dry dock would be happening anytime soon, wouldn't it have made sense to deploy Explorer as one of the ships transfering crew to Europe, instead they sent  or are going to send Freedom, Majesty and Empress.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

If the dry dock would be happening anytime soon, wouldn't it have made sense to deploy Explorer as one of the ships transfering crew to Europe, instead they sent  or are going to send Freedom, Majesty and Empress.

Deployment personal might have come from RCL IT department 🤔😁

1 minute ago, toad455 said:

It was mentioned in a Facebook group that the drydock/amp is back on schedule due to workers heading back to the docks shortly.

We may find out soon - she has already been to Bridgetown to drop off crew.

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

We may find out soon - she has already been to Bridgetown to drop off crew.

it does make sense. if RCCL does get up and running within the next 4-6 months, I doubt all ships start sailing right away. Likely similar to Carnival in starting off in August with just 8 ships doing Caribbean sailings. Might as well keep the Explorer in dry dock to upgrade her and there wouldn't be a need to rush her back into service.

5 hours ago, LXA350 said:

They could possibly send her straight from Barbados over to France? It does seem a bit backwards but then a lot of this does, for example Anthem needs a dry dock but is going to India!

4 hours ago, Jack McGowan said:

They could possibly send her straight from Barbados over to France? It does seem a bit backwards but then a lot of this does, for example Anthem needs a dry dock but is going to India!

It's all a bit up in the air, well Anthem could be back in Europe by end of June and should the drydock happen then, by end of July a mini Europe season would be possible. Looks like RCL might target a mini season as of August, a lot will depend on the opening of the borders of which by end of May, begining of June we should know more.

1 minute ago, LXA350 said:

It's all a bit up in the air, well Anthem could be back in Europe by end of June and should the drydock happen then, by end of July a mini Europe season would be possible. Looks like RCL might target a mini season as of August, a lot will depend on the opening of the borders of which by end of May, begining of June we should know more.

If they think that they will be able to cruise from Southampton even for just a few sailings they will probably try too, seen as she is going to be over here anyway

20 hours ago, Wine-O said:

I'm looking at booking Explorer for a Jan 2021 ABC island cruise.  The concierge lounge last year was mid-ship on deck 9, but with the AMP, they were converting it to inside staterooms.  I guess if they don't do anything but a mandatory drydock, the concierge lounge will stay put for 2021?  🍷

We booked Jan 2021 ABC islands for a wedding cruise based on the AMP. Hope it still happens. 

2 hours ago, Jack McGowan said:

If they think that they will be able to cruise from Southampton even for just a few sailings they will probably try too, seen as she is going to be over here anyway

There was talk of a 14 day quarantine for all travellers coming into the U.K. That would stop any cruise leaving Southampton. 

Just now, Billy Baltic said:

There was talk of a 14 day quarantine for all travellers coming into the U.K. That would stop any cruise leaving Southampton. 

14 day quarantine announced today for arriving air passengers only, passengers coming in on the Eurostar or ferries (and therefore cruise ships also) wouldn’t be affected

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jack McGowan said:

14 day quarantine announced today for arriving air passengers only, passengers coming in on the Eurostar or ferries (and therefore cruise ships also) wouldn’t be affected

I don’t follow. How are people supposed to get to the port to board the ship? Last time I sailed out of Southampton there were lots of nationalities from around the world. 

1 minute ago, Billy Baltic said:

I don’t follow. How are people supposed to get to the port to board the ship? Last time I sailed out of Southampton there were lots of nationalities from around the world. 

There are also thousands of people who cruise from the UK? It would work the same way that Brits wouldn’t be able to get to Miami at the moment for a cruise? I think when cruises resume we are all going to have to cruise a bit closer to home for a while. 

Edited by Jack McGowan