Crew member post from an hour ago on RCI facebook

10 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The individual in question on this post is not a foreign crew member. She is contract “entertainment” staff and an American, and they are paid very well. 

She's youth staff. 

And while they are paid better than other positions it is still far from 'paid very well'...

Just now, GarlicBread said:

She's youth staff. 

And while they are paid better than other positions it is still far from 'paid very well'...

They are paid similarly to what she would have been paid in the US in a similar capacity (plus a better benefits package I’m sure), regardless my point was this isn’t a housekeeper, room

steward, or kitchen staff. 
LOTS of people are going to be missing paychecks, nothing special here. 

• Like 1

One thing I am curious about is where are all these ships going?  For example, Baltimore has room for 1 cruise ship & the port is closed.  There are two ships that use that dock.  Do these ships park in their home dock or go elsewhere?  Many ships use Florida as home ports.  There is not enough room for them to all park there.  Where do they go?  Do they keep the ships running in their parking places or do they shut everything down?

1 hour ago, PTAngel said:

One thing I am curious about is where are all these ships going?  For example, Baltimore has room for 1 cruise ship & the port is closed.  There are two ships that use that dock.  Do these ships park in their home dock or go elsewhere?  Many ships use Florida as home ports.  There is not enough room for them to all park there.  Where do they go?  Do they keep the ships running in their parking places or do they shut everything down?

Baltimore has plenty of anchorage area, and also any commercial dock can do.  The prohibition on cruise ships is for when they are disgorging masses of passengers.  Once the pax are gone, the ship can dock anywhere, probably with some crew shore leave restrictions.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PTAngel said:

The Port if Miami has made berths available to the cruise ships at no charge.  Explorer is sailing off Freeport for the next 60 days and will dock there when needed for supplies. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 12:34 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

The 70+ was initiated from CLIA and all CLIA members follow suit. 

Any word on if they plan to make this a permanent policy or is it just till this current corona issue is resolved?  Just wondering because our in-laws (the same ones who just had their cruise cancelled for today with us) are booked to travel with us next March and it would apply to them.

2 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

Any word on if they plan to make this a permanent policy or is it just till this current corona issue is resolved?  Just wondering because our in-laws (the same ones who just had their cruise cancelled for today with us) are booked to travel with us next March and it would apply to them.

I believe it was in a CLIA press release that they stated it was a temporary measure to appease Washington that they were taking the necessary steps to keep the ships and cruising safe. 

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I believe it was in a CLIA press release that they stated it was a temporary measure to appease Washington that they were taking the necessary steps to keep the ships and cruising safe. 

Otherwise companies like HAL might as well cash out now and fold the company

A lot of workers on land have either been layoff or will be shortly because of coronavirus crisis. Ship crews are no different. I know this is a crappy situation but what does this crew member want his/her employer to do when cruise line has no revenue to pay the staff?

Edited by sfaaa

I feel really bad for the staff and the crew. Sailing for so long in the ocean just to be rejected. I hope that there is some kind of institution that monitors the situation with cruiser's crews around the globe to help them out. I mean you cant just leave the crew behind. They are also on the ship and making everything possible to make the journey for its passengers as comfortable as possible. I think they deserve a credit. I hope they will be refunded also. Its very important

16 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I feel really bad for the staff and the crew. Sailing for so long in the ocean just to be rejected. I hope that there is some kind of institution that monitors the situation with cruiser's crews around the globe to help them out. I mean you cant just leave the crew behind. They are also on the ship and making everything possible to make the journey for its passengers as comfortable as possible. I think they deserve a credit. I hope they will be refunded also. Its very important

If you, me or anyone is laid off, nobody "refunds" us anything, what makes them special?  Quit the bubble life.

7 hours ago, Biker19 said:

At anchor for a while, like Radiance is now in Sydney.

Yes Radiance anchored in the harbour at Athol Bay, & will be joined by MSC Magnifica tomorrow (the ship that refused to allow anyone leaving the ship in Tasmania to reboard) according to the port authority schedule. Spectrum is currently off the Australian East coast doing the last of her free fire related first responders cruises to nowhere & Ovation heading back from NZ currently in the Tasman Sea after maybe just one port (Auckland) before NZ closed ports to cruise ships. We just did the cruise before on Ovation to NZ so were lucky to have just missed all the closures.

Looks like Voyager is at Eden NSW south coast tomorrow & from the info on the port authority cruise ship schedule it looks like for the next few weeks at least most ships in our waters are rotating every few days or so between anchorage, days at sea, then Sydney or Eden terminals to restock food etc I assume? So maybe this will be the same process worldwide, a constant rotation to allow ships to go out to sea to make water, dump allowed treated waste, then anchor for a few days, then dock for supplies for crew  - repeat until things improve. 

On 3/14/2020 at 2:21 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

They are paid similarly to what she would have been paid in the US in a similar capacity

Wow, your college educated childcare professionals and teachers earn between $3-$4 an hour, my bad, America really is great 😂😂

4 minutes ago, GarlicBread said:

Wow, your college educated childcare professionals and teachers earn between $3-$4 an hour, my bad, America really is great 😂😂

The childcare staff on board do not make $3-$4 an hour (in 2017 my daughter did a “tour” on Royal after graduating with her bachelors in early childhood development. I believe she was paid $16 an hour for that period of time).

Entertainment staff on board are paid on scale as dictated by several different entertainment unions. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The childcare staff on board do not make $3-$4 an hour (in 2017 my daughter did a “tour” on Royal after graduating with her bachelors in early childhood development. I believe she was paid $16 an hour for that period of time).

Entertainment staff on board are paid on scale as dictated by several different entertainment unions. 

$16 an hour! On board! 😂😂😂😂

I've been underpaid the last 5 years then! 

If she worked out how much she got paid, and how many hours she actually worked, then yes, it can be as low as $3-$4 an hour

No company pays that much for youth staff!

$16/hr while on duty, but whatever 

plus the benefit of an immersive environment and the ability to get the hours required to qualify for the Masters level classes in a short period of time. 

She now makes 6 figures at an on-site child care program for a Fortune 500 companies employees; so yes companies to pay good money for childcare workers. 

i  amazed by the people that believe everyone working on a cruise ship is slave labor. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 2

On 3/13/2020 at 1:20 PM, teacherman said:

As to the 70+ doctor note-I am in that group and received a TEXT from RCCL last night at 8:00 telling me to check my email for an important message concerning my April 5 cruise.  The email was concerning  having to get a doctor note (which most doctors would not sign as it would open them to possible liability) and telling me that if I could not comply, I should "immediately" call and cancel my cruise and receive future cruise credits.  Since I can cancel and receive those credits up until April 2, why do I have to do it "immediately" when they are already being bombarded with calls?  A cynical person MIGHT think that they want to give out credits instead of a refund, which could happen anytime now since a National Health Emergency is supposed to be declared this afternoon by the president, if he can accurately read a statement which has, hopefully, been written by someone with a grasp of the English language.  Just my opinion on why the 70+ policy was enacted.

your last sentence is repugnant and doesn't belong here.

I'm sorry to say this is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.  Across the globe and across all levels of society this will impact many wage earners in ways that will be devastating as we all go through it. 

Yes, a popular family restaurant in our neighborhood that is normally packed on Sundays had 2 cars in the lot when I drove by it a little while ago.  Several popular downtown bar/restaurants have already closed down due to lack of business.  This is going to last a while and many people in the service industry are going to suffer.  At least the government is trying to help the common people and not just the big companies.  America has turned into a service oriented economy and that depends on people being out and about.  

On 3/15/2020 at 1:01 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

She now makes 6 figures at an on-site child care program for a Fortune 500 companies employees; so yes companies to pay good money for childcare workers. 

That's great for her, but I can assure you that the typical childcare worker in the US doesn't make anything close to 6 figures.