Canadian Itineraries and Ports

ger_77

2 minutes ago, Niagarawine said:

They need to refund the money,can’t sail from Vancouver, cruise is cancelled, refund the money, simple

Only simple if they have the cash flow or the credit worthiness to borrow the money, otherwise it's potential force majeure or bankruptcy. I don't know which companies the travel industry uses as primary insurers or underwriters but this could also take some of the insurers to the wall if the risk is not spread widely enough.

I suspect they will lobby administration to temporarily halt the Jones Act related to ships carrying passengers. Then the Alaska summer can be financially salvaged.  No one can predict if this virus is going to burn itself out within a couple months and the financial damage is huge for Alaska tourism. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, yvrcruzer said:

This move by the Canadian government doesn't make a lot of sense considering they allow 1000's of people a day to fly into Canadian airports from all around the world with little or no screening. Packed airports waiting rooms and waiting around luggage carousels seems just as likely to spread the virus. All just for show. 

Agreed. Cruise season for Vancouver or Victoria ports is in another 5 or 6 weeks' time. It'd be more sensible to stop airplane coming in if they must stop something.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Hi Copper, will the crisis in Italy have any effect on Ryndam progress at the shipyard?

Stay safe out there. 

Hi Cat! Since the Italian government extended the mandatory lockdown as a result of the COVID-19 virus to include the region of Veneto (where Fincantieri's Marghera shipyard is located) and, effective yesterday, the Italian PM announced a tightening of the lockdown, with "all commercial and retail businesses except those providing essential services, like grocery stores and pharmacies, closed down", a delay in the building/completion of the new Ryndam is a strong possibility 

You be safe also!

24 minutes ago, conwakr said:

I suspect they will lobby administration to temporarily halt the Jones Act related to ships carrying passengers. Then the Alaska summer can be financially salvaged.  No one can predict if this virus is going to burn itself out within a couple months and the financial damage is huge for Alaska tourism. 

Just a heads up; the Jones Act covers merchandise, while the PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act) covers pax and, just my opinion, in the current climate, I don't see that, a temporary halt of the PVSA, happening  but, time will tell 

1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

Just a heads up; the Jones Act covers merchandise, while the PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act) covers pax and, just my opinion, in the current climate, I don't see that, a temporary halt of the PVSA, happening  but, time will tell 

My mind is a jumble with everything at work now.... is the Seattle Port closed or considering closing?  If so, I really can't see how not just HAL, but all cruise lines, doing Alaska sailings?

2 minutes ago, CruisingAndDiving said:

My mind is a jumble with everything at work now.... is the Seattle Port closed or considering closing?  If so, I really can't see how not just HAL, but all cruise lines, doing Alaska sailings?

We're not there yet with the port of Seattle. They have, as of now, cancelled the April 1 and April 5 sailings of those cruise ships "stopping for the day" on those two dates only. Cruise ship calls of those ships (incl. HAL) that us SEA as a "home port" for Alaska have not been cancelled as of yet 

Me thinks there will be a hold of the 2020 Alaska season, at least until 01 Jul, since the two Canadian ports (Vic and Van) will be closed until that date and I don't see the U.S. government waiving the PVSA (stranger things have happened though 😉 )

https://www.adn.com/business-economy/2020/03/11/port-of-seattle-will-cancel-two-cruise-sailings-in-early-april-but-not-ships-headed-to-alaska/

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

We're not there yet with the port of Seattle. They have, as of now, cancelled the April 1 and April 5 sailings of those cruise ships "stopping for the day" on those two dates only. Cruise ship calls of those ships (incl. HAL) that us SEA as a "home port" for Alaska have not been cancelled as of yet 

Me thinks there will be a hold of the 2020 Alaska season, at least until 01 Jul, since the two Canadian ports (Vic and Van) will be closed until that date and I don't see the U.S. government waiving the PVSA (stranger things have happened though 😉 )

https://www.adn.com/business-economy/2020/03/11/port-of-seattle-will-cancel-two-cruise-sailings-in-early-april-but-not-ships-headed-to-alaska/

I suppose the next few days will be the real tell to see what happens.  I'm sure authorities there are looking closely at what happened with Vancouver and Victoria, and will take a lot of things into consideration.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, yvrcruzer said:

This move by the Canadian government doesn't make a lot of sense considering they allow 1000's of people a day to fly into Canadian airports from all around the world with little or no screening. Packed airports waiting rooms and waiting around luggage carousels seems just as likely to spread the virus. All just for show. 

This what the Canadian government is doing about air travel

From Citynews

OTTAWA (NEWS 1130) – The federal government says overseas international flights entering Canada will be restricted to a smaller number of airports amid the pandemic.

It’s unclear which airports will be on the list.

“We believe that this is a precaution that we should take so that we concentrate overseas international passengers coming into Canada to a smaller number of airports,” Transport Minister Marc Garneau said.

• Like 1

I heard the US has closed all its ports and prohibited Europeans and Chines from visiting. I am not really sure how true this is but Canada is no different in this case. I mean it shares the same birder frankly speaking. How is Mexico and Ecuador is working with this matter? Now this is an interesting question 

1 hour ago, yvrcruzer said:

Read Prime Minister Trudeau's speech on CBC Newsworld and you will find out that flights coming into Canada from Europe will be funneled to certain airports only for better screening.

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone for posting links confirming my original post.  When I shared the information, there wasn't a link to any of the news outlets; I had just finished watching it live on TV and posted here.  I had to leave right away to take an elderly neighbour to the dentist, so wasn't able to wait for news links.   Although it is disappointing, in light of what's happening, I'm not surprised.

Stay well, everyone; there'll be better cruising days ahead.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 3

There are a number of smaller options for those wanting to see Alaska or the Northwest. 

--Fly to Anchorage and take one of the boat glacier tours.

--Use the Alaska Maritime ferries, which go to most coastal cities. if you want the closest equivalent to a cruise, you can start out in Bellingham, where the ferry leaves the lower 48 (with cabins available and you can bring your own food to avoid shared facilities), and goes from there to Ketchikan and beyond. Bellingham airport has many direct flights on Allegiant, with most coming from Las Vegas, so if you fly to Vegas it's a cheap flight to Bellingham. You also get a more authentic experience on the Alaska ferry, since a lot of the passengers are residents and the ferry is small enough to get into smaller harbors you might never visit (like Haines). 

--Bellingham also gets you close to the WA state ferry in Anacortes which goes to Sydney on Vancouver Island, and also the ferry to explore the San Juans. The BC ferry system operates across the border, also beautiful cruise options with a rented car, particularly the Sunshine Coast, which has plenty of beautiful spots to explore by land and sea.

--You can cruise to Victoria from Seattle and from Port Angeles, on the Olympic Peninsula. Whale watching day cruises are available in most places also, and you can explore places like Bainbridge Island, Bremerton, and Vashon Island from Seattle ferries.

The good thing about ferries is that it's easy to maintain social distance, especially if you stay in a car or stand outside where no droplets stay in the air. Since so many WA and BC residents are dependent on ferries, they're unlikely to be canceled.  WA also has smaller airports with fewer travelers and no international flights, such as Bellingham (BLI) and Everett/Paine Field (PAE). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, yvrcruzer said:

Packed airports waiting rooms and waiting around luggage carousels seems just as likely to spread the virus

And that queue at YVR immigration!!! No social distancing there. 

• Like 3

We have been travelling in Mexico for the past seven weeks.  Scheduled to fly home to Canada next t week.  Waiting to hear about the airport situation at our home city.  Might have to make backup plans to stay here for another few weeks.   

I have no doubt that the closures are being instituted on the recommendation of public heath officials knowledgeable in the area of highly communicable diseases.

to 

Since my European holiday was cancelled (sis is a healthcare professional and has been told to make no travel plans) John and I were discussing driving out east or west to hop on a north bound cruise.  Hoping for August or if they suspend Jones then Alaska is back in play.  I bet Alaska goes to congress to have it lifted or if not the state the cruise lines will.  In Dallas we had a similar situation with the Wright amendment.  Southwest asked congress to change it for certain flights then a few years later it was abolished - a happy day for Dallas residents.

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1