Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Ourusualbeach

Royal follows Cancels cruises for 30 days

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

What I am suggesting is that the company knows full well that they'll be cancelling cruises for the next 60 days but have only announced so far for 30. I believe they are hoping that people cruising 30-60 days out will cancel on their own and thus only owed a FCC and not a full refund. Royal does not want to give refunds. 

 

For the record.....I believe Royal should definitely be giving refunds. 

Hmm, trouble with that logic is that some people will be actively booking those cruises 30-60 days out, including those who just had cruises canceled.  Only to turn around and refund them again (or offer 125%FCC).

 

More likely, they do not have a crystal ball, so they do not know exactly how this outbreak will develop in the coming weeks.  It may indeed be require more cancellations (as you suspect).  Or perhaps we will all be more fortunate and 4 weeks will be enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JacquieO82 said:

We just got an email from Royal saying that there are 2 Covid-19 cases from our Feb 29th sailing on Majesty of the Seas we may have been exposed to. I’ll bet that helped prompt this decision...

 

So that crew has also been exposed and subsequent sailings. This is the Grand all over again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JacquieO82 said:

We just got an email from Royal saying that there are 2 Covid-19 cases from our Feb 29th sailing on Majesty of the Seas we may have been exposed to. I’ll bet that helped prompt this decision...

 

D697EF34-7BA4-41D9-8272-CC359DC51151.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, nicknack said:

What if I cancelled before they announced the refund/credit policy?

I think they are honoring it as long as your cruise fell within those 30 days 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m glad that Royal made a decision. I was on the March 21 Majesty out of NOLA. We got a sweetheart of a deal. Even with the 125% FCC I doubt we will find anything close to what we paid during a time where I can cruise. I’m a public school teacher and can’t just take off any time. I’ve been struggling tonight with the disappointment of not traveling. I remembered something I told a student who was sad that the musical program he was the lead in was canceled along with school... It’s ok to be sad or disappointed when you have been looking forward to something for a long time. I’m not sure if anyone else is or has been struggling with their feelings about this shut down, but I wanted to remind us all to give a little grace. We are all in different places- some saved and paid for many many months- some got super sweet deals but in the end, after we cry or rant, there will be future cruises and maybe just maybe this pandemic with plateau and end sooner rather than later. I wish everyone well as we wait for our next chance to be at sea!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Wish we could take 30 days off from CC   

 

I wish we could just blink and we'd be 30 days in the future.  The next 30-60 days won't be pleasant for anyone- sick or not.  We need that amount of time to pass to let this virus subside, but without all the negative consequences that come from people not working, not getting paid, etc. for that time period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mac_tlc said:

They will process the FCC, but you can request a full refund anytime before 12/31/21. 
Given that I have other cruises booked, I’ll probably take the 125%.

 

A smart decision by the cruise line and good for the customer as well.  By doing this they decrease the number of full refunds they'll need to make.  Win for RCI.  

 

At the same time we are uncertain whether we'll be able to cruise by 13/31/21 but like the sound of 125% so we might wait and see knowing we can get the refund any time.  If we had to decide right now we'd certainly go for a full refund.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hate to sound pessimistic but I seriously doubt this thing will be over within 30 days.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, molole said:

Hate to sound pessimistic but I seriously doubt this thing will be over within 30 days.  

If they are talking about 50-60% of the country getting it we have a long way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hoping that I'm included in this 125% deal too.  We are scheduled to board Radiance May 5th Honolulu to Vancouver.  Now that Canada has banned all cruise ships I'm assuming my cruise is cancelled.  We are outside the 30 day plan but still cancelled so I hope were included in that same deal.  I have several cruises already booked so the extra 25% would be a nice bonus for one of these cruises. I haven't heard anything yet but I know things are happening very quickly so I just need to be patient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tree_skier said:

I'm hoping that I'm included in this 125% deal too.  We are scheduled to board Radiance May 5th Honolulu to Vancouver.  Now that Canada has banned all cruise ships I'm assuming my cruise is cancelled.  We are outside the 30 day plan but still cancelled so I hope were included in that same deal.  I have several cruises already booked so the extra 25% would be a nice bonus for one of these cruises. I haven't heard anything yet but I know things are happening very quickly so I just need to be patient.

Im wondering in a case like this if they will start allowing waivers to the PVSA.  That would also allow them to continue with the Alaska season out of Seattle.  This is all proving that it is possible for cruises to sail.  I imagine there are some ongoing discussions regarding temporary variances to the PVSA. There are also the east coast cruises that are affected as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Im wondering in a case like this if they will start allowing waivers to the PVSA.  That would also allow them to continue with the Alaska season out of Seattle.  This is all proving that it is possible for cruises to sail.  I imagine there are some ongoing discussions regarding temporary variances to the PVSA. There are also the east coast cruises that are affected as well. 

So possibly Honolulu to Seattle instead?  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Plum Happy said:

According to CLIA, it only affects the US ports.  Click the link below for the full statement.

 

 

So since the CLIA is clearly stating that the cruise lines are "voluntarily" suspending, then that would mean Royal cannot deny us a full refund, correct ??? 

I saw someone earlier quoting the cruise contract language which states that the cruise line becomes absolved of refunding us when they are "ordered" to cancel by govt...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tree_skier said:

So possibly Honolulu to Seattle instead?  

 

It’s a possibility. It’s an antiquated law in many cases and these are extraordinary times. I could see a waiver happening in these cases if it meant keeping cruise lines sailing, again , providing it was safe to do so.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nah31 said:

So since the CLIA is clearly stating that the cruise lines are "voluntarily" suspending, then that would mean Royal cannot deny us a full refund, correct ??? 

I saw someone earlier quoting the cruise contract language which states that the cruise line becomes absolved of refunding us when they are "ordered" to cancel by govt...

For sailings that have been cancelled in the next 30 days they are offering a full refund as an option 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

So possibly Honolulu to Seattle instead?  

 

 

Or maybe somewhere in California? If we can still sail (and if it's safe), arriving at a different disembarkation port would be be fine with us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

ya ya I understand your point.

 

Then again it could do just a 6 day and then go back to 7 day on 18th.  What a mess.  And RCI could extend it to another 30 days.

I don’t think Symphony can leave on a Sunday in April. Oasis will have the terminal that day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TwinMamainMN said:

 

Or maybe somewhere in California? If we can still sail (and if it's safe), arriving at a different disembarkation port would be be fine with us.

I guess where would depend on if she would continue with her Alaska sailing.  If it’s an Alaska sailing the Seattle makes the mist sense dipped to proximity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It’s a possibility. It’s an antiquated law in many cases and these are extraordinary times. I could see a waiver happening in these cases if it meant keeping cruise lines sailing, again , providing it was safe to do so.  

Thanks Ken,  I was going to email you but I figured you were busier than a one armed paper hanger with everything that is going on and whatever happens is going to happen.  With 53 days to go nothing is critical yet about decisions.

Edited by Tree_skier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone responded to the email and requested full refund. I think it said I would be receiving a confirmation email but haven't yet. It sure made it easier on everyone not to have to wait on phones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Thanks Ken,  I was going to email you but I figured you were busier than a one armed paper hanger with everything that is going on and whatever happens is going to happen.  With 53 days to go nothing is critical yet about decisions.

I’ll send you an e mail about my roller coaster ride today.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, irun5k said:

 

I wish we could just blink and we'd be 30 days in the future.  The next 30-60 days won't be pleasant for anyone- sick or not.  We need that amount of time to pass to let this virus subside, but without all the negative consequences that come from people not working, not getting paid, etc. for that time period.

 

No need to insult me. I'm college educated, not stupid.,

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, TwinMamainMN said:

 

Or maybe somewhere in California? If we can still sail (and if it's safe), arriving at a different disembarkation port would be be fine with us.

 

They used to return the Hawaii cruises to Ensenada, MX and bus passengers across the border to San Diego. It wasn't a really pleasant bus trip, but it was a much warmer sailing route than the cruises that ended in Vancouver. :classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


 

3 minutes ago, Coralc said:

 

They used to return the Hawaii cruises to Ensenada, MX and bus passengers across the border to San Diego. It wasn't a really pleasant bus trip, but it was a much warmer sailing route than the cruises that ended in Vancouver. :classic_biggrin:

But a cruise that is supposed to end up in Vancouver actually ending up in San Diego creates a logistical nightmare trying to get your passengers to the debarkation port that they are supposed to be at. For example, they can't suddenly tell people from the greater Vancouver area, of which there will be many on this cruise,  that they now have to fly home from San Diego, CA instead of taking the Sky Train home to Burnaby, BC. With a Seattle debarkation you could at least bus folks north 2 and half hours and get them somewhere near where they expected to debarking.

 

The problem with a Seattle debarkation is that WA state is one of the worst areas in the country right now.  Friends in WA state have been texting all day.  King, Pierce and Snohomish counties all have issued large gathering prohibitions,  King, Pierce, Snohomish and Watcom counties have closed all public schools until April 24th.  Two friends were in Costco in Bellingham today and they and elderly gentleman walking with a cane, unrelated to them, were knocked to the ground over TP.  If things don't improve quickly I can't see the Port of Seattle not being closed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

26 minutes ago, Coralc said:

 

They used to return the Hawaii cruises to Ensenada, MX and bus passengers across the border to San Diego. It wasn't a really pleasant bus trip, but it was a much warmer sailing route than the cruises that ended in Vancouver. :classic_biggrin:

 

I remember that, seems like eons ago.

 

I'd be willing to do it again, it could be an enticing windfall for Mexico.  But...our sailing is getting so close I'm not sure the arrangements can be made, I don't know how we'd get down there with no flights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...