Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Jamman54

Will Carnival follow suit?

Recommended Posts

Yea we were at grills. Watched the carnival liberty and Mariner of the seas sail with very very few people on deck. Heard the sun do lifeboat drill but never did sail. We just want to know something.... We are fine either way, just need to make a game plan, let employers know, etc. If we don't sail we need to get back home and get back to work to conserve vacation time if possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:


The Norwegian Sun let everybody board today but made them disembark later in the afternoon.  Read that it was because they were only at 40% capacity and would have lost money on the sailing, but that could be a rumor.  So, don’t unpack until you are actually moving if you get to board 🙄

 

Just to state the obvious, we are in uncharted territory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Figures, packed the car already....

The first time I've ever started packing our suitcases a few days out. I just decided that it was going to cancel from under us and decided to scramble to try to recoup losses for airfare and hotel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're leaving on the Conquest on Monday morning, and we're definitely concerned about whether or not it will be canceled on us before then. 😬

 

Our flight leaves tonight to fly to Miami with our 4 kids... hoping for the best! This is our very first cruise, and so far it's been an adventure! 😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bring it on. I am a sucker when it comes to free FCC & OBC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jamman54 said:

Now that NCL & RCCL have cancelled cruises for the next 30 days, I think Carnival should do the same. I think it will look bad if they continue to operate.  Thoughts?

So what Carnival port of Charleston is denied all people with chronic medical conditions to board. It was a mess. My husband and I drove 800 miles from NY

 No call. No email. No signage as we parked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were scheduled to be on the NCL Encore Sunday.  Already in Miami and considering just hopping on the Horizon 6-nighter.  Are we crazy?? lol  The cheapest beach-front place I can find near Miami would be $2k for the week vs $1,900 for the 4 of us in a balcony (or connecting insides, if we wanted more room).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, torsoboy said:

We're leaving on the Conquest on Monday morning, and we're definitely concerned about whether or not it will be canceled on us before then. 😬

 

Our flight leaves tonight to fly to Miami with our 4 kids... hoping for the best! This is our very first cruise, and so far it's been an adventure! 😆

Best of luck to you, wow, tough no matter what you do, can you get credit for flights and cruise, that may be the safest way to go!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MikeBTN said:

We were scheduled to be on the NCL Encore Sunday.  Already in Miami and considering just hopping on the Horizon 6-nighter.  Are we crazy?? lol  The cheapest beach-front place I can find near Miami would be $2k for the week vs $1,900 for the 4 of us in a balcony (or connecting insides, if we wanted more room).

 

Be aware you and/or your family may have to "self isolate" for two weeks after you return if you decide to cruise.  That is what several large employers are requiring of their employees now.  

 

Have you looked at other communities near Miami?  Broward County is Florida's hot bed for COVID-19 right now, so maybe something in Palm Beach County or the Florida Keys.  

 

I seriously doubt the Horizon will sail this week.  I agree with most others that it is just a matter of time before Carnival announces no cruises from the U.S.  for the next ______ (insert number) of days or weeks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost all the schools in Southern California are closed for next 3-4 weeks, including Long Beach Unified. I can’t imagine leaving Long Beach is even going to be an option soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:


The Norwegian Sun let everybody board today but made them disembark later in the afternoon.  Read that it was because they were only at 40% capacity and would have lost money on the sailing, but that could be a rumor.  So, don’t unpack until you are actually moving if you get to board 🙄

Now that would really suck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

President Trump just tweeted that Carnival would shut down at midnight tonight.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pstrater said:

President Trump just tweeted that Carnival would shut down at midnight tonight.

 

Tweeted about all the cruise lines - they are done for 30 days.

 

Cannot say we didn't see this coming - 

 

Summer cruises still on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

 

Just to state the obvious, we are in uncharted territory.

Understatement of the month 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stick93 said:

Tweeted about all the cruise lines - they are done for 30 days.

 

Cannot say we didn't see this coming - 

 

Summer cruises still on!

Not all....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just to confirm...

 

At my request, effective midnight tonight, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, and MSC have all agreed to suspend outbound cruises for thirty days. It is a great and important industry – it will be kept that way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Pstrater said:

President Trump just tweeted that Carnival would shut down at midnight tonight.

 

Uuummm.  Link?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trump tweets are easy to find...

 

But, in the next 30 minutes or so before CCL updates their website, is anyone thinking of booking a cruise in the next couple weeks just to hopefully get a nice FCC? 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Understatement of the month 

 

Yeah, trying to tamp down personal feelings - this fire doesn't need any more fuel.  Literally thousands of folks all with different circumstances being impacted and of course the cruise lines.  I keep think about the on-board employees.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Why did it take a request from the President of the United States. I live in the St. Louis the mayor will not allow any gathering of 1000 people or more St. Louis county will not allow gatherings 250 or more I’m sure this is the same all over this country. Are these cruise port cities to worry about losing money then protecting it’s own people. Even at 40% full I’m sure that’s more than 250 to 1000 people just saying

Edited by rdemn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, rdemn said:

Why did it take a request from the President of the United States. I live in the St. Louis the mayor will not allow any gathering of 1000 people or more St. Louis county will not allow gatherings 250 or more I’m sure this is the same all over this country. Are these cruise port cities to worry about losing money then protecting it’s own people. Even at 40% full I’m sure that’s more than 250 to 1000 people just saying

 

Read this: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/11/coronavirus-cruises-126426

 

"Cruise lines typically register ships under so-called “flags of convenience,” in Panama, the Bahamas and other countries chosen for their low wages, cheap fees and lax regulations. The International Maritime Organization makes the international rules that govern shipping, including cruising, but it has no enforcement power. That falls to the countries where the ships are registered, to which cruise customers provide needed tourism dollars. Some popular flags of convenience, like the Bahamas, have just one person in charge of inspecting ships that dock there."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance w/ Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com June 2020
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...