Where will all the ships go?

zonacruiser25

Latest news regarding the Grand Princess and crew https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/03/14/coronavirus-concerns-over-repatriation-of-international-crew-stranded-on-grand-princess/

https://news.mb.com.ph/2020/03/15/444-filipino-on-mv-grand-princess-on-way-home-from-us/

According to the second article "91 Filipino crewmembers opted to remain onboard Gran Princess to comprise the Minimum Safe Manning and Minimum Operational Manning teams".

Edited by brisalta

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I don't believe NZ has banned cruise ships from "entering its waters", but it has banned cruise ship port calls.  A cruise ship, without passengers, at anchor offshore NZ is not really different from a tanker or bulker anchored there, especially if shore leave for crew is not allowed.  Just like people are misinterpreting Canada's ban, it is that cruise ships are not allowed at Canadian ports, not banning them from Canadian waters, so anchoring off Canada is also an option.

In the case of Canada I am actually not certain.  The government press release describes it as "new measures pertaining to cruise ships in Canada waters" however the press have interpreted that as docking in Canadian ports.  The restriction is limited to ferries and ships with more than 500 passengers on the ship.  

It is an interesting question.  

26 minutes ago, em-sk said:

In the case of Canada I am actually not certain.  The government press release describes it as "new measures pertaining to cruise ships in Canada waters" however the press have interpreted that as docking in Canadian ports.  The restriction is limited to ferries and ships with more than 500 passengers on the ship.  

It is an interesting question.  

Well, the port, or the government of the province or Canada can certainly restrict vessel access in "restricted waters" (where a pilot is required), hence in the limits of a port.  However, the exercise of "freedom of navigation" and "innocent passage" is a basic tenet that the US has held since the 1700's, and that Britain (and hence her Commonwealth) also consider to be a cornerstone of law, and is a basic tenet of the UN law of the sea.  This allows any ship to pass through the waters of any nation while engaged in peaceful commerce.

• Like 3

marinetraffic.com shows 2 small vessels along side the Grand Princess. A pusher tug and a pilot boat. I assume they are getting ready to move out to an anchorage. AIS indicates it is going to C7 anchorage.  Need to check my San Francisco Bay charts to locate that.

Edited by brisalta

19 minutes ago, brisalta said:

marinetraffic.com shows 2 small vessels along side the Grand Princess. A pusher tug and a pilot boat. I assume they are getting ready to move out to an anchorage. AIS indicates it is going to C7 anchorage.  Need to check my San Francisco Bay charts to locate that.

889176302_ScreenShot2020-03-15at4_36_43PM.thumb.png.fc2edcdfd9f1dc43d1f95647af58fbca.png

36 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Well, the port, or the government of the province or Canada can certainly restrict vessel access in "restricted waters" (where a pilot is required), hence in the limits of a port.  However, the exercise of "freedom of navigation" and "innocent passage" is a basic tenet that the US has held since the 1700's, and that Britain (and hence her Commonwealth) also consider to be a cornerstone of law, and is a basic tenet of the UN law of the sea.  This allows any ship to pass through the waters of any nation while engaged in peaceful commerce.

Canada has claim the Northwest Passage as an internal waterway.   Something I believe the US, Russia and China all disagree with.  In the same announcement that restricted cruise ships until July 1st on the coast it also announcement that it would not permit cruise ships in arctic for the entire season.  

I would think the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence would also be internal waterways of either the US or Canada.  No? 

On the west coast,  the pilots board at the entrance into the Salish Sea near Victoria and are with the ship until it reaches Vancouver.  That is a bit of a weird area as it is split between Canada and the US.  Not certain if that is an inland waterway.

6 minutes ago, em-sk said:

I would think the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence would also be internal waterways of either the US or Canada.  No? 

There is a treaty between Canada and the USA regarding the St. Lawrence Seaway.

Just got back from a walk up the hill that overlooks San Francisco Bay and anchorage C7. There was no sign of the Gran Princess.  marinetraffic.com shows the Grand still at the berth in Oakland. Plans and times get altered.

There was a story on the news this evening saying the Grand was looking to offload garbage. From what I could gather, Cal OES had agreed to offload the garbage and transport it directly to the dump, but the ILWU had some understandable objections. Perhaps that's causing some delay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outerdog said:

There was a story on the news this evening saying the Grand was looking to offload garbage. From what I could gather, Cal OES had agreed to offload the garbage and transport it directly to the dump, but the ILWU had some understandable objections. Perhaps that's causing some delay.

That sounds reasonable reason for the delay. I can understand the ILWU members concern. In one of the newscasts today they expressed concern about not being supplied the correct protective gear for interacting with passengers, crew and equipment that may be contaminated.

8 hours ago, Outerdog said:

6 hours ago, brisalta said:

That sounds reasonable reason for the delay. I can understand the ILWU members concern. In one of the newscasts today they expressed concern about not being supplied the correct protective gear for interacting with passengers, crew and equipment that may be contaminated.

Well, given that all garbage offloaded from a cruise ship is considered to be "foreign" garbage (since the ship called at a foreign port), it all has to be double bagged and treated as hazmat anyway, even without the coronavirus, as it always has been.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Well, given that all garbage offloaded from a cruise ship is considered to be "foreign" garbage (since the ship called at a foreign port), it all has to be double bagged and treated as hazmat anyway, even without the coronavirus, as it always has been.

Did the Grand call at a foreign port?

34 minutes ago, billco said:

Did the Grand call at a foreign port?

Doesn't matter on the last cruise, if the ship has called at a foreign port within the last 90 days, all garbage is considered to be "foreign", unless you completely empty the ship of all perishable foodstuffs and have a USDA inspection.  Happens even to US flag ships, been there, done that.

22 hours ago, yoyosma said:

Marine Traffic now shows Sky Princess is heading to Port Isaac in Great Britain.  A bit earlier today I looked at Marine Traffic and the destination was Great Isaac Anchorage, again GB.  The info doesn't seem really correct though as they are suppose to arrive in GB sometime today but are showing as currently somewhere between Freeport and Bimini.  Info is 1 hr and 45 minutes ago.  

Very confusing at this time to me but it makes sense for Sky's position after the 60 days is over.  I am aware when Sky's Transatlantic was/is suppose to happen.  And now I'm wondering if GB is closing their ports to cruise ships as well complicating plans.  

ETA:  I just read on the Sky Princess pulling out of FLL thread, post #22 by Jeter02, that the crew have been told they will be hanging around the bahamas for a week and returning to Port Everglades to pick up supplies maybe.  They reported a stop later this week at Princess Cays for R&R.  That is great.  My best to the crew of the Sky and all Princess Ships.  

I believe GB means Grand Bahama rather than Great Britain.  EM

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Except Port of Oakland does not tend to see cruise ships and is not used to working with them so this may play into it.

The port of San Francisco Pier 27 and the alternate Pier 35 are the locations equipped for cruise ships and the shore side is used to handling the garbage, etc. I think that port of San Francisco is ILWU Local 10.

Edited by brisalta

11 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Except Port of Oakland does not tend to see cruise ships and is not used to working with them so this may play into it.

The port of San Francisco Pier 27 and the alternate Pier 35 are the locations equipped for cruise ships and the shore side is used to handling the garbage, etc. I think that port of San Francisco is ILWU Local 10.

Doesn't matter whether it is a cruise ship or any ship, foreign garbage is foreign garbage, and typically the longshoremen don't deal with the garbage anyway, a contractor comes and picks it up.

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Doesn't matter whether it is a cruise ship or any ship, foreign garbage is foreign garbage, and typically the longshoremen don't deal with the garbage anyway, a contractor comes and picks it up.

Which team removes it from the ship? When I have been at the piers in San Francisco when normal operations were occurring it looked like longshoremen were involved in that.

Edited by brisalta

On 3/15/2020 at 12:40 PM, yoyosma said:

Marine Traffic now shows Sky Princess is heading to Port Isaac in Great Britain.  A bit earlier today I looked at Marine Traffic and the destination was Great Isaac Anchorage, again GB.  The info doesn't seem really correct though as they are suppose to arrive in GB sometime today but are showing as currently somewhere between Freeport and Bimini.  Info is 1 hr and 45 minutes ago.  

Very confusing at this time to me but it makes sense for Sky's position after the 60 days is over.  I am aware when Sky's Transatlantic was/is suppose to happen.  And now I'm wondering if GB is closing their ports to cruise ships as well complicating plans.  

ETA:  I just read on the Sky Princess pulling out of FLL thread, post #22 by Jeter02, that the crew have been told they will be hanging around the bahamas for a week and returning to Port Everglades to pick up supplies maybe.  They reported a stop later this week at Princess Cays for R&R.  That is great.  My best to the crew of the Sky and all Princess Ships.  

Not Great Britain.

The Sky and several other Princess ships are at anchorage in or near Freeport in the Bahamas.

The crew are all staying onboard these ships.

They will alternate a move/visit to Princess Cay for the crew during the stay.

• Like 2

Sorry, but I could not find the answer anywhere.....

Ships don't have a regular docking area except when they are in their home port to disembark/embark passengers. So where are all the ships located while Princess (etc) is not sailing with passengers? Anyone know? I imagine there is a scramble to find a suitable place to dock the ships during this outage.

Doug