OPT refuses priority boarding for Royal Diamond members?

We cruised on 29 Feb on Ovation & when we got to the passport control section the OPT person told us Diamond members no longer get priority boarding & to join the normal queue which had about 100+ people in it at the time.

I asked why & she said that due to there being so many Diamond members now that the priority line was often just as long so wouldn't be any faster! This was BS as at the time there were 4 people in the priority line. We were travelling with a couple who are Diamond Plus & we said this & she then relented & let us join the priority queue.

Royal's web site Diamond benefits list is still showing priority boarding.

So is this an OPT thing now, or just this one persons misunderstanding? If it's a new OPT thing then that is refusing us a benefit granted by Royal & unless the priority queue was just as busy as the normal one I can't see any legitimate reason for stopping Diamonds from joining the priority queue???

I agree, Royal are starting to water down the benefits as there are just too many Diamond passengers, priority lines, diamond clubs, etc are disappearing, we had the same in HK last year for a Spectrum cruise, where there were only 100 diamonds, 30 Diamond pls and 2 pinnacles, and yet no line for Diamonds, no Diamond club but we could use the Silver Lounge, no priority tender or debark either.

49 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I agree, Royal are starting to water down the benefits as there are just too many Diamond passengers, priority lines, diamond clubs, etc are disappearing, we had the same in HK last year for a Spectrum cruise, where there were only 100 diamonds, 30 Diamond pls and 2 pinnacles, and yet no line for Diamonds, no Diamond club but we could use the Silver Lounge, no priority tender or debark either.

Diamond club on Ovation (200 diamonds onboard) is the same as before with overflow into the Music Hall & on Voyager the DL moved down to a lower deck where the excess can spill out to the lounge area after the revamp I have read, but still exists - albeit without the great views.

Diamonds never had priority tender from my experience - only Diamond Plus & above.

However, if Royal says on their list of benefits priority boarding still, then the port should allow it.

We have approx 2 cruises more before we get to Diamond Plus - seems we may need to get there asap before they think about moving the points goal posts! 🙂 

I think they want you to buy the key but boarding is pretty quick on Ovation.

Like everything ,the quality drops and if you want better you have to pay.

Diamond Plus is loosing it’s benefits.

But I had some good martini’s in the diamond lounge,much better than from the bars .

6 hours ago, avalon007 said:

Diamond club on Ovation (200 diamonds onboard) is the same as before with overflow into the Music Hall & on Voyager the DL moved down to a lower deck where the excess can spill out to the lounge area after the revamp I have read, but still exists - albeit without the great views.

Diamonds never had priority tender from my experience - only Diamond Plus & above.

However, if Royal says on their list of benefits priority boarding still, then the port should allow it.

We have approx 2 cruises more before we get to Diamond Plus - seems we may need to get there asap before they think about moving the points goal posts! 🙂 

We had priority boarding once, but we have never had I again. Perhaps I was due to low numbers of Diamonds on board

18 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

We had priority boarding once, but we have never had I again. Perhaps I was due to low numbers of Diamonds on board

We have had priority boarding for Diamond every cruise since becoming Diamond 6 years ago except for this last cruise & in some cases with loads of Diamonds on board. I have found in the past that some staff at the OPT are just unaware of the Crown & Anchor benefits or unless you ask for it they don't automatically notice what level is on your boarding pass.

24 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

1 minute ago, avalon007 said:

We have had priority boarding for Diamond every cruise since becoming Diamond 6 years ago except for this last cruise & in some cases with loads of Diamonds on board. I have found in the past that some staff at the OPT are just unaware of the Crown & Anchor benefits or unless you ask for it they don't automatically notice what level is on your boarding pass.

Sorry, I meant tendering, we have had priority boarding every time except for the last.

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

Sorry, I meant tendering, we have had priority boarding every time except for the last.

LOL - yep tendering only for D/Plus & above so same experience regards tendering as you in that regard.

3 hours ago, avalon007 said:

One positive regards Diamond perks - on Ovation there were 2 of the icey type cocktails now included in free drinks, Pina Colada & Strawberry Margarita. 🍹😄 

Really the perks are the best in the cruise industry.

Free drinks,ship tours,a lounge with people of common interests and a coffee machine.

I think after this mess we are in it maybe different???

OR if they have their marketing hats on the cruise lines will want to attract back as many cruisers as possible after the virus has passed, and regular loyal to Royal cruisers are more likely to do that than newbies scared off cruising by the over hyped media coverage of quarantined ships.

So what better way to get people to cruise than to offer Crown & Anchor members deals with extra perks, rather than reduce current perks which will only alienate members? Hope you are listening Royal! 😄 

• Like 1

Allure is going into dry dock shortly,it has been drastically reduced to essential maintenance only.

Explorers  Amp or make over has been canceled 

I suppose voyager Amp #2 is going to be scrapped.They only painted half of the suite ceiling. Pore old girl.

Radiance,the captain gets a new hat.

My guess is the diamond lounge will only have cordial and peanuts. Take your camping chair and camping light.

Edited by Chiliburn

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

Allure is going into dry dock shortly,it has been drastically reduced to essential maintenance only.

Explorers  Amp or make over has been canceled 

I suppose voyager Amp #2 is going to be scrapped.They only painted half of the suite ceiling. Pore old girl.

Radiance,the captain gets a new hat.

My guess is the diamond lounge will only have cordial and peanuts. Take your camping chair and camping light.

Too many Diamond members, like too many Elites on Princess.