Refund timing?

dlesh77

On 5/29/2020 at 9:53 AM, JerriBonner said:

We cancelled our March 18 HAL cruise on the Zuiderdam the weekend before and then it was cancelled by HAL.  We had booked through an outside vendor and have received no refund.  Anyone on that cruise received a refund?

We were on that cruise and just received refund on CC. We did not cancel ourselves but rather played an uncomfortable game of chicken with the cruise line until the night of the 13th when all cruises halted.

We canceled an October 5th 2020 cruise on March 24th and were waiting for our deposit of $600 to be refunded to our credit card..called mid-April to follow up and was told refund would be processed on May 24th.. on June 1st initiated a chat with HAL rep.. was told my deposit refund was processed to my credit card co. on May 28th and I should see credit shortly.

Well,  today it showed up.. don't know if it was a coincidence or not but the chat feature seemed to work great for me.. would strongly recommend it.

Edited by edgekid

18 hours ago, Gigi2170 said:

I spoke with a HAL agent this morning and he said the reason our refund had not processed yet (3/21 cruise/3/14 cancellation) was that there were amounts going to 2 different credit cards and those take longer to process.  I can't figure out why that would take longer as HAL can clearly see which $$ go to which credit card, but that's the latest excuse. Talked with our cc today and they said they will absolutely take the dispute even though the initial deposit was paid in July 2019 and the balance in 12/2019. Don't know how long this will all take, but I'm not waiting any longer while HAL does a Ponzi scheme with money I paid them.

I'm going to file a dispute with both credit cards if nothing post be 6/10.

1 hour ago, edgekid said:

We canceled an October 5th 2020 cruise on March 24th and were waiting for our deposit of $600 to be refunded to our credit card..called mid-April to follow up and was told refund would be processed on May 24th.. on June 1st initiated a chat with HAL rep.. was told my deposit refund was processed to my credit card co. on May 28th and I should see credit shortly.

Well,  today it showed up.. don't know if it was a coincidence or not but the chat feature seemed to work great for me.. would strongly recommend it.

Not me.  I get a run around and canned responses.

There is no logic or pattern to this at all.

I also learned from HAL (phone) yesterday, when calling on an unrelated issue, that my refund of 3/28/20 Nieuw Amsterdam port fees/taxes refund had been processed 5/29.  It hasn't shown up on my credit card yet, but based on what other people here are reporting, I may see it tomorrow...or 6/5.  For the canceled cruise I took the Future Cruise Credit, which arrived on 5/7.  The cruise was canceled when everything shut down in mid-March.

Sue/WDW1972

We cancelled our July cruise on March 12.  Our refund showed on our cc today with a date that it had been processed on May 29.  It was for all deposit and prepayments.  We have a second reservation for the same cruise which has not shown.  We did not call Holland America or file a dispute with the cc.  So there is hope that the refunds are coming.

Was scheduled to cruise on the Zuiderdam on March 18th.  The day before it was cancelled I phoned and took the Future Cruise Credit.  The Taxes and Port Fees were refunded to my credit card today, June 3.  I still have a refund coming for a deposit on a September cruise that we cancelled a few weeks later.

For our Maasdam Mexico cruise which was scheduled to sail on 4/15/20, I cancelled the cruise on 3/12/2020 knowing I was in the penalty phase.  However the penalty of $2,562.66 is supposed to be converted to a FCC per a March 6, 2020 email from HAL.  Today, June 3, 2020 (82 days), I received $1,844.22 credit back on my credit card from HAL for the remaining amount.  

Interestingly, that credit came 2 days after I filed a dispute on my credit card.  

Now I still am waiting for $31k for the cancelled Grand Africa cruise.    It's been 27 days since that dispute was lodged. . .

I took the plunge and filed a dispute with my credit card companies.  My Visa card refunded me the money immediately, albeit it has the disclaimer that they need to contact the vendor to set things straight, so I'm just letting it ride.  I tried to file a dispute with American Express and it immediately cancelled my request after stating that my request was submitted.  I decided to give that a few days to see if anything happens "naturally".  Finally, my deposit, paid the end of November was too far back to dispute it online so I had to actually mail a letter to my Mastercard account.  We'll see what happens.

Cruise: Alaska, the end of May

Cancelled on March 18 on my own (trip hadn't been cancelled yet).

On the good side, I have made deposits on two cruises for Alaska next year ( I couldn't decide if I wanted HAL or Princess).  I am still weighing my options.

I'm all whole with my refunds, but have not received anything related to my FCC.  How many of you have received word concerning your FCC?  They said it would come in the form of an email; what does that look like?  Last week I asked my TA to check on it, and he said my account does not list it as of yet.  It's been 82 days since HAL cancelled our cruise.

Thanks,

Kel😄

10 minutes ago, kelmac said:

I'm all whole with my refunds, but have not received anything related to my FCC.  How many of you have received word concerning your FCC?  They said it would come in the form of an email; what does that look like?  Last week I asked my TA to check on it, and he said my account does not list it as of yet.  It's been 82 days since HAL cancelled our cruise.

Thanks,

Kel😄

My FCC looked like this

image.thumb.png.fdbe8e884c7e2ce21db3ac85cbd9d533.png

image.png.2e7385b10e31e0ae36a88449489f8a84.png

14 minutes ago, kelmac said:

Thanks,

Kel😄

I had to call HAL and ask them to check my Mariner account for the FCC, which the agent did and it was there. I did not receive correspondence from HAL that I should be expecting it, only the original email I received when they cancelled our cruise back in March, which said that I would be receiving it.

6 hours ago, bvocruise said:

I'm going to file a dispute with both credit cards if nothing post be 6/10.

Personally, I would caution against initiating a dispute with your credit card and encourage more patience. We just recently received our refund for a HAL cancelled 14 March sailing.

Filing the dispute may 'muddy up the waters' so to speak.. JMHO.

18 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Personally, I would caution against initiating a dispute with your credit card and encourage more patience. We just recently received our refund for a HAL cancelled 14 March sailing.

Filing the dispute may 'muddy up the waters' so to speak.. JMHO.

IMHO, filing a dispute puts a credit back on your card, which you can use to delay payment of other charges. 

the credit card knows how to handle it. it may be confusing watching credits post, then refunds post, then charges reposted to reverse the double credit, but not sure what "muddy the waters" means. either HAL gives you a refund or the credit card company makes it permanent. in the meantime you have a credit that can offset some other bills. 

Received my full final payment back today for a cruise due to begin this weekend. I cancelled this 67 days ago. Also received two deposits for 2021 cruises that I cancelled last week. I feel that I have been treated very well by HAL. I used the Sydney office and was always treated with respect and honesty. Thank you Holland America.

Take care everyone and be kind. Arohanui from New Zealand

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dszrew said:

IMHO, filing a dispute puts a credit back on your card, which you can use to delay payment of other charges. 

the credit card knows how to handle it. it may be confusing watching credits post, then refunds post, then charges reposted to reverse the double credit, but not sure what "muddy the waters" means. either HAL gives you a refund or the credit card company makes it permanent. in the meantime you have a credit that can offset some other bills. 

My point is, that before jumping the gun with a credit dispute, have some patience and allow HAL to work through their process of crediting the refunds (which they're doing). IMHO, anybody who is initiating a credit card dispute now for cancelled cruises after mid March is simply being impatient, and is potentially complicating the situation.

Obviously, YMMV, as ours did since we have already received our refund and FCC from HAL without having to initiate any credit card dispute transactions.

Good luck with however you choose to proceed!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AlanF65 said:

My FCC looked like this

image.thumb.png.fdbe8e884c7e2ce21db3ac85cbd9d533.png

image.png.2e7385b10e31e0ae36a88449489f8a84.png

Thanks Alan,

Just what I was looking for.  I guess I will wait another couple of weeks and then have my TA check my Mariners account.

Kel

Received full refund today, $12,000 on my credit card for a Mid July cruise cancelled on March 13th, one week before final payment was due. I did file claims with my Costco Visa card 3 weeks ago, so not sure if that helped to push refund along or just HAL getting to my account in the refund process. Either way happy to have the money but wanted to post to give people hope that are still due refunds. 

• Like 1

I was notified last night that it was time to check in for our flight to Amsterdam today.  The flight was cancelled along with our cruises (June 6 and June 20) back on March 17. (by us, not HAL).  Delta doesn't even offer that flight anymore, so it's a ghost flight!  No cruise or flight is listed on Holland America and no flight is listed on my Delta Sky Miles account.  Crazy!  As for a refund - nothing yet on my credit card.  No emails from HAL about a small FCC we're owed or anything else for that matter.  Today is 79 days and we're trying to be patient, but this is just plain stupid.  One of us wants to wait a little longer to file a cc dispute and the other wants to move on with it.  Because of this we may decide to cancel our two 2021 Grand Voyages.  Are you listening Holland America?

11 hours ago, KroozNut said:

My point is, that before jumping the gun with a credit dispute, have some patience and allow HAL to work through their process of crediting the refunds (which they're doing). IMHO, anybody who is initiating a credit card dispute now for cancelled cruises after mid March is simply being impatient, and is potentially complicating the situation.

Here is the exact wording from the email HAL sent when they cancelled my April 19 cruise:

Please note that due to the unprecedented volume of bookings impacted by cancellations, processing your election of Option 1 or 2 may take up to 60 days as our team works through each booking.

HAL chose the 60 day timeline, has not honored it and only responds with vague, canned, "just be patient" platitudes when I inquire about the refund. At this point, I don't think that filing a dispute is being impatient - it's just forcing them to do what they said they would do using the only means available to me. 

Edited by dogcanyon

3 hours ago, dogcanyon said:

Here is the exact wording from the email HAL sent when they cancelled my April 19 cruise:

Please note that due to the unprecedented volume of bookings impacted by cancellations, processing your election of Option 1 or 2 may take up to 60 days as our team works through each booking.

HAL chose the 60 day timeline, has not honored it and only responds with vague, canned, "just be patient" platitudes when I inquire about the refund. At this point, I don't think that filing a dispute is being impatient - it's just forcing them to do what they said they would do using the only means available to me. 

To each their own, and good luck! 🙂

Just thought I'd check in, it's been a few weeks.  Still nothing for our canceled mid-April Hawaiian cruise.  

CC sent me a poll and I made it clear we're not giving the cruise lines any more of our money until we get our refund, no matter how sweet the deal.  

I tried selecting our option for a 3rd time and this time they said they couldn't accept it or something, so I'm assuming it registered this time around when that wasn't the case the first time.  That means we're looking at early August maybe, right about the time I budgeted, but they should have at least included a line to enter an email address and send a confirmation of the selection, it would not have taken much more computing power.

Not sure if this is the right place to respond or ask a question.

We had a cruise planned and paid for departing Ft Lauderdale to Rome April 19 and we cancelled thru our travel Agent - a mega cruise seller in Houston on March 12. The cancellation was under HA's rules 25% refunded to my credit card and the other 75% was to be issued as a Future Cruise Credit which we thought was fair given the fact we cancelled before the sailing date. We were prepared to lose the whole fare given the conditions in Italy

I was pleasantly surprised to see a credit on my credit card statement for more than 25% but I have received no communication from HA re a future cruise credit.

Should I be asking my "mega" travel agent about this (they follow up with HA?) or should I wait another couple of weeks to see if I get email regarding the FCC and if I receive nothing via email follow up directly with HA ( I checked HA under my Mariner # today and there is nothing)

I hope we can cruise either in December this year or May of 2021 as a vaccine may be available then

42 minutes ago, seb1899 said:

Should I be asking my "mega" travel agent about this (they follow up with HA?) or should I wait another couple of weeks to see if I get email regarding the FCC and if I receive nothing via email follow up directly with HA ( I checked HA under my Mariner # today and there is nothing)

Just call your travel advisor in Houston. He/She has access to HAL's Polar system and can easily look up your mariner # and see what FCCs are posted on your account.  You will more than likely not receive any communication from HAL (I sure didn't). My had my answer in less than a minute when my TA looked it up.

• Like 1