Refund Status for canceled cruises: Retitled after merges

lahore

2 minutes ago, Mackenzie1 said:

Princess just concluded their equity, bond and note offerings, which raised over $6 billion in cash.  Hopefully, the refund system is only being set up now because they did not have the liquidity to start the refunds before they received these additional funds.

They had previously tapped their $3 Billion line of credit so they had cash, just don't want to refund it.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

They had previously tapped their $3 Billion line of credit so they had cash, just don't want to refund it.

That is what I am afraid of.  Excuses and eventually a "sorry, we don't have the money to refund everybody".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, trrn2016 said:

I called Princess today regarding the status of refunds. I talked with Joanne, a supervisor. According to her, they are "just now setting up the system to process the refunds"!! She said when they start making refunds, it will be with the oldest cruises first. It does not matter when you make the cancellation!!!! I am so frustrated. 

I was told the same thing.  The did just raise 6.5 Billion in debt and equity sales, which is encouraging.  Unfortunately, I don't think we will see a significant number of refunds until they have a better understanding of when they can restart operations.  Hopefully that will be in 60-90 days.

6 hours ago, MarkieMark16 said:

From the Princess "FAQ" on cancelled cruises..  60 days from actual request for refund.  I'm at 25 right now.. 

1. How long will it take to get my refund or Future Cruise Credit (FCC)? 
    Given the volume of requests and the care being dedicated to ensure each one is handled accurately, it will take approximately 60 days for refunds and FCCs to be processed from the date we receive a guests preference. Please allow sufficient time for us to manage this process and know we are doing everything in our power to expedite where possible.

This is what they told me when I called. 

not to be off-topic … much … but, the IRS / US Treasury can process a return e-filed, with direct deposit , and you will have your 

refund in your account in 2-3 weeks ...

now, they are set up for that - Princess clearly isn't / wasn't … before all this - how many refunds for cancellations did Princess

need to process a day / week / month - prolly not that many

now, again, consider the current environment - a single cruise can generate … what … 2-3 "thousand" refunds , everything from cruise fare, excursions, prepaid dining, interwebs and now add on to that EZ Air, cancelled hotel reservations ...

just wine afternoon musings ...

• Like 1

Be careful when reading about the card dispute time frames.  Canada's and Europe's may be different than the U.S. VISA and MasterCard (and possibly Discover Card) rules.  If you are filing a dispute based on the cancellation by the cruise lines, your timeframe  in which to dispute  would begin on the date you were to sail (although you can file as soon as they announced they were cancelling the cruise.)  If you have anything from Princess saying you will get a refund to your card, then your timeframe for disputing will also be different.  Call your credit card company.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nho9504 said:

The ONLY and TRUE reason for the refunds being so slow in coming or not yet come at all, is they dont have the money  to handle this 

That was a pretty categorical statement.  How did you come by such conclusive evidence?

13 hours ago, travellovers2 said:

I told him that a lot of people on cruise critic are upset about this because some people are out of work and they need that money. His response " I don't care what people on cruise critic think"

Just curious, are you out of work or just using the misfortune of others who are to enhance your bargaining position?  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, gadaboutgal said:

Be careful when reading about the card dispute time frames.  Canada's and Europe's may be different than the U.S. VISA and MasterCard (and possibly Discover Card) rules.  If you are filing a dispute based on the cancellation by the cruise lines, your timeframe  in which to dispute  would begin on the date you were to sail (although you can file as soon as they announced they were cancelling the cruise.)  If you have anything from Princess saying you will get a refund to your card, then your timeframe for disputing will also be different.  Call your credit card company.

Yes!  All credit card companies are not the same. Call your credit card agent and discuss your situation first before filling in dispute form 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BIGADORF said:

I got a call today from Princess regarding a refund for my independent air fare for a Princess cancelled cruise. I had filled out a form for reimbursement, not realizing at the time, I had purchased separate air insurance. I had filed a separate claim with Princess approximately 30 days ago. I have since received the airfare back to my credit card for the flight from the insurance company. I informed the representative from Princess that I got my money back. I then asked the status of my refund for the actual cruise. She said that part of getting money back was being handled by a different group at Princess and could not get me a status update. When I mentioned the 30/60/90 day delay she said that it may be even a longer time frame.

When did you complete the form for reimbursement on independent air fare, if I may ask?  Thank you.

Baloney, because a front line customer service rep knows anything about what is going on in the IT shop?

It may be that the CSRs are seeing the first signs of rolling out the changes required... that I could buy.

If you work in IT you have some idea of the complexity of this situation. The IT systems were created to PREVENT some of these situations that they now want to happen. Those changes need to be tested six ways and the edge (unique) situations identified - those then require additional coding OR a manual system to fix the one-off unique cases.

30 days is an incredibly ambitious time frame.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

Just curious, are you out of work or just using the misfortune of others who are to enhance your bargaining position?  

I was trying to let him know that people are upset about this delay because they need the money. If you are trying to insult me personally, don't waste your time. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I went ahead and put in a claim with my Credit Card provider this afternoon.  The deciding factor?  Fairness.  I was told it would probably be June before they would provide my refund... could not come up with one good reason to continue to provide Princess a no interest loan for the next 60 days.

• Like 4

This thread certainly seems to be living up to the literal name of this website (Cruise Critic).  Call me naive or flame me, but I think many posters here seem to be a bit unreasonable (I only looked this page and the previous one).  

So far, Princess has stepped up and done more than I would have imagined for passengers stuck on ships, for cancelled cruises, etc.  (I realize that in some cases, they were forced into a process, so don't go there).  They are acting concerned and appear to also be acting diligently.  I think Jan Swarz has struck the right tone.  No doubt a lot of the same resources that might review and confirm complex refund situations may also have been involved in getting people home.  

Princess set a refund standard - sure it was a long one, but under circumstances maybe not that terrible.  IDK if most people ready to - or already done it - call banks and create a charge dispute are afraid of insolvency, or just want money back they wouldn't otherwise have had if travel proceeded.  Do you all realize you are simply creating MORE work and expense for Princess because every dispute with a vendor charge creates a case that the bank has to file to the vendor?  Then the vendor has to check into it to see if legit and respond to the bank again.  It wouldn't surprise me if there are not extra service charges and expense involved to the vendor.  Someone wrote the credit card companies, or banks, are bending over to help people.  Sure - they can reap in more fees as I am thinking a disputed charge-back might come with something like we would get as a NSF charge.  You are creating more work for Princess team and slowing down refunds at the same time.

And those who write that this slow service is making them dump CCL brands next time, well I'd be curious to know if RCL brands, for example, are getting people refunds any quicker or treating guests any better.  IDK as I am not using other brands.  But who are you going to sail with next time that you think can do better? 

So, call me a Princess cheerleader if you like.  I don't work for them.  I am both a customer and a shareholder and I want them to get over this contagion and come back new - both as a cruiser and an investor.  I have an upcoming cruise later this year that could very well be in danger and we will have decisions to make in terms of making FP or not.  But I see no reason at this time to pile anymore hurt on this company. 

• Like 16

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

That was a pretty categorical statement.  How did you come by such conclusive evidence?

Easy - all financial data is in Carnival's quarterly / annual filings with SEC because it is a Publicly traded company, they must report their cash position / debt / expenses / income, whatever related to the company's financials.   Anyone has the inclination can read the financial reports for a basic picture.  It is not a rocket science.  Of course if you have financial / accounting background, it is much easier and much clearer to you.

Take the most basic - When the ships are not operating, no revenue, therefore no income but the ships STILL require cold hard cash to maintain - it is called Fixed Cost.  In case you dont have such concept, google is your friend - Fixed Cost and Variable Cost.  So no cruise, i.e. no revenue (income) but still has costs that eat up the cash reserve which is never been great to begin with.

Thank goodness they were able to raise a few billions thru junk bonds and new shares (dilute the existing shareholders' holdings) to meet their current working capital needs as well as fulfill their obligation to refund.  Unfortunately it will take time before the cash is in the account and is available to process the refund.

Edited by nho9504
delete the irrelevant quoted part which also insulted other poster
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Think how many shows, concerts, tours, festivals, etc Ticketmaster handles and are now having to refund -- thousands of tickets at all different prices, venues, packages, etc.  Yet they are managing to do it and only asking for up to 30 days, if even that long.  I don't buy all this baloney about Princess having to create systems, etc.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, voljeep said:

not to be off-topic … much … but, the IRS / US Treasury can process a return e-filed, with direct deposit , and you will have your 

refund in your account in 2-3 weeks ...

now, they are set up for that - Princess clearly isn't / wasn't … before all this - how many refunds for cancellations did Princess

need to process a day / week / month - prolly not that many

now, again, consider the current environment - a single cruise can generate … what … 2-3 "thousand" refunds , everything from cruise fare, excursions, prepaid dining, interwebs and now add on to that EZ Air, cancelled hotel reservations ...

just wine afternoon musings ...

I in early March I canceled an August cruise prior to final payment.  A normal cancellation which in the past I have gotten refunded in 5-10 days.  When I canceled (prior to Princesses stop of cruises), I received my prepaid gratuities within 24 hours.  Still have not seen the cruise refund.  No reason it should take this long for a routine refund that does not involve any of their special refund considerations.

2 hours ago, npcl said:

I in early March I canceled an August cruise prior to final payment.  A normal cancellation which in the past I have gotten refunded in 5-10 days.  When I canceled (prior to Princesses stop of cruises), I received my prepaid gratuities within 24 hours.  Still have not seen the cruise refund.  No reason it should take this long for a routine refund that does not involve any of their special refund considerations.

Have you filled in the form to receive Option 1 or 2 announced on March 12/20?

my March 7/20 cruise was cancelled March 6 and I received my 100 percent FCC by beginning of April. And taxes/ fees/ prepaid excursions etc the day I cancelled. So my case was quite simple to process I would think. I have only seen a couple of posts online where anyone said they have received cash & FCC promised. 

11 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Princess set a refund standard - sure it was a long one, but under circumstances maybe not that terrible. 

So, call me a Princess cheerleader if you like.  I don't work for them.  I am both a customer and a shareholder and I want them to get over this contagion and come back new - both as a cruiser and an investor.  I have an upcoming cruise later this year that could very well be in danger and we will have decisions to make in terms of making FP or not.  But I see no reason at this time to pile anymore hurt on this company. 

I no longer have any sympathy  for Princess.  They canceled our cruise and at the same time canceled our Princess Vacation Protection which denied us the ability to access this insurance to get our money back.  I am not sure if Princess owns the company that provides Princess Vacation Protection either?

When you are owed over $15,000 through no fault of your own I expect a reputable company to make good on returning that money and to do it quickly.  

I have seen nothing that Princess has done or said that makes me think people are going to get their money back.  Until Princess becomes responsible to it's customers and starts refunding money that it owes I will remain skeptical and believe that they are just playing games and have no intentions of being honest with their customers and returning any money and are only offering worthless FCC at this time.  

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

Why would npcl fill in form to receive option 1 or 2?  They cancelled their cruise before final payment.  Princess did not cancel the cruise.

I am so sorry for my post. Please forgive me. I quoted wrong person. My mistake.   Please ignore. 

Edited by dog