Jump to content

Refund Status for canceled cruises: Retitled after merges


lahore
 Share

Recommended Posts

things should start flowing faster now … there was a report on local tv this morning that an "investigative reporter" is looking 

into the problem of refunds on Carnival , Princess, and HAL !! stay tuned for updates ...

 

seriously, nothing new learned … in process … future cruise credits … contact credit card company 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, voljeep said:

I believe all remaining Sept and October sailings will be cancelled, just a matter of cash-flow when ...

 

Having experienced the "mash up" of refunds so far , and having a vested interest!  and a 92 day wait so far  I just hope they clear ALL l the current un-refunded claims before they start another session. 

I think I  have already seen  refunds being claimed for cruises that have been taken to use up refunds  already paid out, how can that be fair.

Edited by Aulanis
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, smithmlmx said:

Now what??

Disputed my March 28 SKY cruise on May 26 with Canadian TD Visa 

. Paid in US dollars to a TA  in Florida. Received disputed amount  Jun 2 - the amount credited was the amount I paid in Cdn $$ ( No conversion) Disputed the 2 year old deposit on Amex. Waiting for resolution. Again disputed amount is the actual Cdn $$ charged (no conversion). 

Today I received Princess passage refund from Princess - so I have the disputed amount AND the Princess refund in my Visa card and Amex. Of course they are different amounts because the amounts refunded from Princess are U$ refunds and converted by the banks to Cdn $$. 

Quite a mess

As a lawyer, in light of Princess's handling of these refunds,  I would have to advise you to remain silent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, smithmlmx said:

Now what??

Disputed my March 28 SKY cruise on May 26 with Canadian TD Visa 

. Paid in US dollars to a TA  in Florida. Received disputed amount  Jun 2 - the amount credited was the amount I paid in Cdn $$ ( No conversion) Disputed the 2 year old deposit on Amex. Waiting for resolution. Again disputed amount is the actual Cdn $$ charged (no conversion). 

Today I received Princess passage refund from Princess - so I have the disputed amount AND the Princess refund in my Visa card and Amex. Of course they are different amounts because the amounts refunded from Princess are U$ refunds and converted by the banks to Cdn $$. 

Quite a mess


call TD Visa and ask for status of your dispute. Just leave out your explanation you posted here. 
 

the credit card company will straighten it out with Visa. May 26 dispute—- provisional credit to card June 2. It had not been resolved that quickly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, npcl said:

The difference is that orders involve physical deliveries, often including supply chains from over seas.  In such cases delivery often uses air cargo on commercial aircraft,  no aircraft flights, no cargo space.  No cargo space no deliveries.

 

Cruise ship refunds are entirely electronic and can pretty much be done from anywhere.  Even in a manual operation, the process for a refund would be to look at the data on the screen, including entered data about the passengers request  FCC or Refund, and make the appropriate entry.  Nothing complex, nothing time consuming, unless the company wishes to delay the refund. 

Unless you consider scale...One cruise 3500 Pax 5 minutes (if its simple) but many any are not because of options, excursions, gift packages, CC chargebacks etc. But lets stick with the 5 minutes. that's 17,500 minutes or 292 hours. That's 7  employees working a full week for one ship. Princess has 19.  Give or take it takes 140 folks working full time just to do the data entry for a weeks worth of cruises. Now I don't have any clue how many employees are trained to do this, but there is a wee problem hiring and training at this point, there are additional problems with work areas social distancing and all the other things that have closed or dramatically reduced business hours.  For you Your right nothing but not time time consuming? I'd question that....

Edited by TNTLAMB
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, TNTLAMB said:

Unless you consider scale...One cruise 3500 Pax 5 minutes (if its simple) but many any are not because of options, excursions, gift packages, CC chargebacks etc. But lets stick with the 5 minutes. that's 17,500 minutes or 292 hours. That's 7  employees working a full week for one ship. Princess has 19.  Give or take it takes 140 folks working full time just to do the data entry for a weeks worth of cruises. Now I don't have any clue how many employees are trained to do this, but there is a wee problem hiring and training at this point, there are additional problems with work areas social distancing and all the other things that have closed or dramatically reduced business hours.  For you Your right nothing but not time time consuming? I'd question that....

 

I come from a finance background.  I've had stuff on a much, much, much smaller scale cause me weeks of frustration. I've voiced that numerous times, as have others.  It's definitely not always as easy as looking at a screen. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, phred119s said:

 

I come from a finance background.  I've had stuff on a much, much, much smaller scale cause me weeks of frustration. I've voiced that numerous times, as have others.  It's definitely not always as easy as looking at a screen. 

Coming from finance, you also understand cash flow and the benefits of taking advantage of people by delaying their payments

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, phred119s said:

 

I come from a finance background.  I've had stuff on a much, much, much smaller scale cause me weeks of frustration. I've voiced that numerous times, as have others.  It's definitely not always as easy as looking at a screen. 

I agree that it's not easy and I fully recognise the scale they are dealing with. The wait time is not what bothers me. It is the total lack of transparency in what they are doing. As someone with a financial background, would you say it is ethical of them to change documentation to completely different terms/conditions without leaving any trace of the originally published terms/conditions? Princess were the ones that told customers 10 days/30 days/60 days/we don't know how long. Princess were the ones that told passengers refunds by sail date/by cancellation date/by date of receiving option choice/in no real order. Princess were the ones that turned off their automatic refund process. Princess were the ones who created so many complex options without having the means to actually process them. Princess are the ones that are not communicating with those of us still waiting over 3 months. Many of their problems were of their own making and while I appreciate they have millions to refund and would be more than happy to stick with them through the time it would take, the way they have handled this and not communicated the truth has left a sour taste in my mouth.

 

(Sorry, this is not directed at you personally - just voicing my frustration at a company that I have formerly loved and defended. I feel like I have broken up with my boyfriend).

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I agree that it's not easy and I fully recognise the scale they are dealing with. The wait time is not what bothers me. It is the total lack of transparency in what they are doing. As someone with a financial background, would you say it is ethical of them to change documentation to completely different terms/conditions without leaving any trace of the originally published terms/conditions? Princess were the ones that told customers 10 days/30 days/60 days/we don't know how long. Princess were the ones that told passengers refunds by sail date/by cancellation date/by date of receiving option choice/in no real order. Princess were the ones that turned off their automatic refund process. Princess were the ones who created so many complex options without having the means to actually process them. Princess are the ones that are not communicating with those of us still waiting over 3 months. Many of their problems were of their own making and while I appreciate they have millions to refund and would be more than happy to stick with them through the time it would take, the way they have handled this and not communicated the truth has left a sour taste in my mouth.

 

(Sorry, this is not directed at you personally - just voicing my frustration at a company that I have formerly loved and defended. I feel like I have broken up with my boyfriend).

I get it.

 

I'm not defending them when I say this, but I do think we can all agree that back in March when this all happened that none of us realized we'd still be limping along (society as a whole) 3 months later.  I certainly didn't think we were going to be put under any sort of shelter in place orders or furloughed from my job more than I've worked or I would've become teacher to my child.  I think a lot of crap probably happened to all of us that we didn't see coming. (Personally, 2020 can just go away.)  I made it to Phase 3 before I had anything that cancelled -- so Princess has about $5k of my money.  I can certainly see if they thought one thing was going to happen and then orders started to be put in place and they ended up spread too thin how they've ended up here.  I also personally think many are on edge more than they typically would be bacause of all of the havoc of 2020.  With the amount of money, I would certainly think that while one person may be issuing the FCC or Refunds that another individual or two would be the ones "allowing" the posting of the FCC's or Refunds.

 

On another note, Canada is practically our second home.  We visit about once a quarter.  I'm missing it. 😞 😞 😞 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, SunLakesBob said:

Coming from finance, you also understand cash flow and the benefits of taking advantage of people by delaying their payments

 

sure, I understand it.  But that doesn't actually mean that's what they are doing.  Is it possible? sure. Is it possible there are other reasons such as being spread too thin? also sure.  

I don't work there. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, phred119s said:

sure, I understand it.  But that doesn't actually mean that's what they are doing.  Is it possible? sure. Is it possible there are other reasons such as being spread too thin? also sure.  

I don't work there. 

As a retired turn around specialist, the first key is to take care of your existing customers. You  do not cut back on a service that supports that customer base. There is no excuse for the type of delays that we are experiencing.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I agree that it's not easy and I fully recognise the scale they are dealing with. The wait time is not what bothers me. It is the total lack of transparency in what they are doing. As someone with a financial background, would you say it is ethical of them to change documentation to completely different terms/conditions without leaving any trace of the originally published terms/conditions? Princess were the ones that told customers 10 days/30 days/60 days/we don't know how long. Princess were the ones that told passengers refunds by sail date/by cancellation date/by date of receiving option choice/in no real order. Princess were the ones that turned off their automatic refund process. Princess were the ones who created so many complex options without having the means to actually process them. Princess are the ones that are not communicating with those of us still waiting over 3 months. Many of their problems were of their own making and while I appreciate they have millions to refund and would be more than happy to stick with them through the time it would take, the way they have handled this and not communicated the truth has left a sour taste in my mouth.

 

(Sorry, this is not directed at you personally - just voicing my frustration at a company that I have formerly loved and defended. I feel like I have broken up with my boyfriend).

Well said. So true

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe that the 'smart money' went the credit card dispute route early and often. 

 

We do not 'love' any corporation enough to wait 60-90 plus days for a refund on a broken or a  cancelled contract. Don't really understand this. 

Edited by iancal
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

I agree that it's not easy and I fully recognise the scale they are dealing with. The wait time is not what bothers me. It is the total lack of transparency in what they are doing. As someone with a financial background, would you say it is ethical of them to change documentation to completely different terms/conditions without leaving any trace of the originally published terms/conditions? Princess were the ones that told customers 10 days/30 days/60 days/we don't know how long. Princess were the ones that told passengers refunds by sail date/by cancellation date/by date of receiving option choice/in no real order. Princess were the ones that turned off their automatic refund process. Princess were the ones who created so many complex options without having the means to actually process them. Princess are the ones that are not communicating with those of us still waiting over 3 months. Many of their problems were of their own making and while I appreciate they have millions to refund and would be more than happy to stick with them through the time it would take, the way they have handled this and not communicated the truth has left a sour taste in my mouth.

 

(Sorry, this is not directed at you personally - just voicing my frustration at a company that I have formerly loved and defended. I feel like I have broken up with my boyfriend).

 

We have similar feelings, some communication would help a lot and possibly restore patience and understanding.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/9/2020 at 10:31 AM, jimmieg said:

Requested most efficient credit back to my bank from Citi.

They advised they will make direct deposit back to my bank in 3-5 days as refund must be reviewed because it is a large amount.

Our credit from Princess of a little over $6k showed up on to our Costco Citi Card balance on June 2 (Posted in May).  Did a chat with Costco Citi Card rep that day to request the credit back to our registered checking account that we pay the Citi cc bill with.  We were told the same as you , it would be 3-5 days to process.  Called today since it has not happened yet, and has been over 7 days, and over 5 business days.  The rep today said our credit refund was at the supervisor approval level due to the large credit amount , and that can step itself can take up to 3 days.  Just FYI that it may take longer than the time they originally stated.  7-10 Days might be more appropriate.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To everyone who was on a voyage already underway when Princess paused operations, you may have submitted reimbursement requests for airfare, excess baggage, or other costs of getting home. Be aware of the following situation.

 

Now that I've been waiting 81 days for my refunds, FCC, and reimbursement from the Pacific Princess voyage that departed FTL on Jan 5 and LA on Jan 20, I sent emails to multiple members of the Princess executive team recently. This got me a callback from Kimberly Baldwin with Customer Relations, who told me she was speaking for the executive team. After the usual apologies, excuses, and promises that everything was in process, we discussed my specific refund and reimbursement requests. She told me they had NO RECORD of my request to be reimbursed for airfare and baggage.

 

That's right, after my receiving an email confirmation that my request had been received (on March 22!), and after being told by more than one Princess staffer that my airfare reimbursement was in process along with the other amounts I'm due, today I was told they had no record of it, and could I please send it again.

 

So if you, too, have a reimbursement coming, I highly recommend you send your request again now, with a note of the date when it was first submitted. Send it to customerrelations@princesscruises.com with your booking number in the subject line.

 

BTW, I firmly believe all these refunds are being deliberately slow walked by Princess to improve their cash flow. Meanwhile, they continue to sell cruises in order to bring more cash in the door. It's a multi-million dollar Ponzi scheme.

 

If this weren't the case, they would simply have hired temporary help instead of laying off huge portions of their workforce and cutting their call center hours. Or contracted with an outside firm to handle this process their own systems weren't set up for. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our 3/29 Regal cruise was canceled by Princess and we chose option 2 the first day.

Our FCC showed up in our accounts mid May.

May 25th we filed a dispute with our Sears CC. They gave us the temporary credit.

June 6th we received our refund from Princess.

Thank you all for the support and information.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, CJinSF said:

.....If this weren't the case, they would simply have hired temporary help instead of laying off huge portions of their workforce and cutting their call center hours. Or contracted with an outside firm to handle this process their own systems weren't set up for. 

Are you aware of what lead to the cancellations? Or the continuing problems because of it Hire and train temps? How and where from? Which contracting firm?  Sounds like a great solution. How do you implement?  California is still in Phase 2 of reopening. They can't even bring in all of their existing staff let alone more. Washington isn't much better and Florida just entered Phase 2.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So Pause 1 cancellations and immediately requested option 2.  All of our shore excursions were with an off ship company and got the refunds in 6 days, as it should be.

FCC 25% posted to our accounts April 28.

 

Full refund to credit cards on June 06.

 

Sail date on the Sky May 06.

 

The lack communication and refund process took way to long for Princess or any service based Corporation.  However we have our money back which is good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, voljeep said:

does your TA have any inside info about the next wave of cancellations, specifically the November Caribbean sailings ?

 

I believe all remaining Sept and October sailings will be cancelled, just a matter of cash-flow when ...

Haven’t asked her, but I will next time we talk.  
 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, TNTLAMB said:

Are you aware of what lead to the cancellations? Or the continuing problems because of it Hire and train temps? How and where from? Which contracting firm?  Sounds like a great solution. How do you implement?  California is still in Phase 2 of reopening. They can't even bring in all of their existing staff let alone more. Washington isn't much better and Florida just entered Phase 2.

 

Of course I'm aware. No one has to be brought anywhere to solve problems like this. All the needed information is available electronically and could be handled by remote workers, trained remotely. I've had an executive assistant for 10 years who lives in another state and I've never met in person. Same thing for hiring a contracting firm. This is exactly how businesses have been continuing to operate worldwide for the past 3 months. It's how Princess has continued to sell cruises all this time.

 

All it takes is the willingness to spend the money to make it happen. And that's exactly where the problem lies. Princess has chosen not to spend their money, and to instead keep as much of OUR money as they can. Carnival Corp, who of course owns Princess, is already under investigation by the Federal Maritime Commission and the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure for delayed refunds (and other bad corporate behavior).

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, TNTLAMB said:

Are you aware of what lead to the cancellations? Or the continuing problems because of it Hire and train temps? How and where from? Which contracting firm?  Sounds like a great solution. How do you implement?  California is still in Phase 2 of reopening. They can't even bring in all of their existing staff let alone more. Washington isn't much better and Florida just entered Phase 2.

The vast majority of the employees in the offices were not laid off or furloughed until May 30th. They could have processed a whole lot more between March 12 and May 30th than what they did.

 

People can work from home. There are VPNs which make it seem like "people are physically on campus" computer wise. Princess had a lot of people working from home even before this. They had the technology.

 

Airlines and other companies processed refunds. Maybe took a few days longer due to volume but not 90 days.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Coral said:

The vast majority of the employees in the offices were not laid off or furloughed until May 30th. They could have processed a whole lot more between March 12 and May 30th than what they did.

 

People can work from home. There are VPNs which make it seem like "people are physically on campus" computer wise. Princess had a lot of people working from home even before this. They had the technology.

 

Airlines and other companies processed refunds. Maybe took a few days longer due to volume but not 90 days.

Yup, Had Princess not given multiple options and tried to do the right thing by giving additional FCC it would be done.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TNTLAMB said:

Yup, Had Princess not given multiple options and tried to do the right thing by giving additional FCC it would be done.

 

 

Perfect, just Perfect - Can you imagine if Princess had simply stated, that's what travel insurance is for - deal with it … 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...