Refund Status for canceled cruises: Retitled after merges

Received refund today for the cruise fare from the February 16/20 Majestic Princess Melbourne -Singapore sailing cancelled Feb. 16.  The airfare and taxes/port fees had been refunded to the Visa CC on Feb. 17.

The refund today was a cheque from the CC company but the credit was never posted to my CC.  I have to think that Princess paid Visa via cheque and in turn me.

The FCC has not posted as yet, I will not loose sleep on it.

On 6/22/2020 at 2:02 PM, magdeliene said:

Most of refund received 🙂

Cruise - May 24, 2020 Alaska cruise on Emerald

Cancelled - April 14th by Princess

Option #2 selected (full refund) - April 14th
Cancellation Notice from Princess - April 14th 

Cancellation notice from TA - April 15th

Refund of cruise and air adjustment - effective date June 18th, posted date June 21st - didn't see until today June 22nd

Just waiting on refund of excursions booked directly through Princess. 

PS - 66 days from cancellation date

UPDATE - have received my shore excursions refund eff. date 6/23 - so I have my full refund on day 71

We cancelled our May 16th Alaska cruise on March 11th. Filed a dispute with our credit card on May 7th. Finally - after 105 days - received a refund from Princess yesterday. Just called our credit card to cancel the dispute and have them pull back the provisional credit they had given us. Have not yet received the $400 FCC due to us.

Edited by travelfin

Well, I just got my second big refund from Princess to my credit card.  I have one to go.

On April 25, 2020, I cancelled my excursions for my July10,2020, Alaska Cruise and my 8/29 and 9/5 B2B Mediterrean cruises.

On May 23, 2020, my credit card got my credits.  Don't know how they do it, but I got around 10 different refund entries.  Could relate some to certain charges but other amounts were a mystery to me.  However, the total equaled to what I had initially charged so I am not sweating the small stuff. 

So all I have left are my deposits for my B2B.  I didn't actually cancel the cruises themselves until April 28, 2020, so I know that it will be at least a few more days for that to come back to me.  After I cancelled the cruises,  and then Princess cancelled them too, I got a memo asking if I wanted the deposit returned to me as a FCC worth two times what I paid. I needed to advise them by 6/15/2020, otherwise do nothing and I would get my money back.  So I don't know if my refund will be delayed due to that offer or not.  Therefore my range of refund dates, in my mind, could be from 06/28-08/15/2020.  So I will wait until then to call my CC company to refund me.  I know others have had different situations, but so far Princess has honored its timeline with me, even though it might have been 60-90 days!

Pooh

Edited by PoohUnderstands

How do FCC show up. I chose option 2 so expected a 100% FCC.

Instead I have got a FCC which is half of my cost (for one of us? Where did the other half go)

And then a bonus 125% of that single person refund which I think means they have done option 1 instead of option 2.

Does this mean I now have to spend a day on the phone getting it sorted?

5 minutes ago, andydunn said:

How do FCC show up. I chose option 2 so expected a 100% FCC.

Instead I have got a FCC which is half of my cost (for one of us? Where did the other half go)

And then a bonus 125% of that single person refund which I think means they have done option 1 instead of option 2.

Does this mean I now have to spend a day on the phone getting it sorted?

FCC are credited to each persons individual cruise account. So you need to log into your sailing partners Captains Circle account to view their credits. 

28 minutes ago, Storm Monkey said:

FCC are credited to each persons individual cruise account. So you need to log into your sailing partners Captains Circle account to view their credits. 

Thanks, that is indeed what happened. She didn't even have a login to princess.com so we had no clue.

She too has got the option 1 instead of option 2. I guess this explains the lack of a refund to the credit card. It makes it very interesting since we already have a credit card charge back refund for the full amount and I have all the documentation that I asked for option 2. I guess right now I have more than I asked for instead of nothing so why the hell would I sit on the phone for 3 hours listening to hold music...

What a mess 😉

I was scheduled on a September sailing to Alaska that was cancelled by Princess in April, but had only paid the deposit at the time it was cancelled.

I received the money back on my credit card on June 17, 2020. 

2 hours ago, andydunn said:

Thanks, that is indeed what happened. She didn't even have a login to princess.com so we had no clue.

She too has got the option 1 instead of option 2. I guess this explains the lack of a refund to the credit card. It makes it very interesting since we already have a credit card charge back refund for the full amount and I have all the documentation that I asked for option 2. I guess right now I have more than I asked for instead of nothing so why the hell would I sit on the phone for 3 hours listening to hold music...

What a mess 😉

The irony is that they turned off their automatic refund system to process each manually to ensure accuracy. LOL. I have no refund yet for my March 14th, a refund for my August 22nd despite asking three times for FCC, and my client from March has FCC based on option 2, despite requesting twice option 1....and no refund.

21 hours ago, aholter66 said:

While my Chase charge seemed to be processing similar to others - they issue you a temporary credit for the charge, they contact the vendor and give them two billing cycles to respond, after which your credit becomes permanent - my Barclays card didn't work the same way.

They see that I have a charge.  They report that the charge either had a card present and valid security card, or was run through the system correctly.  That's it.  Case closed once they validated that I made the purchase.  So I had to round up all of my materials and send to them on an appeal.  This relationship will probably not last long after I receive my refund.

That's what I was afraid of.  I did include all my "documentation" when I filed the dispute, ie cancellation notice from Princess and booking info showing the deposits, which is really all I had.  It's been about 6 weeks since I filed the dispute and the temporary credits are still on my account, so at least they haven't decided in Princess' favor yet.  After all, the basis of my dispute is not that the charges were not valid, it's that I have not been refunded for a service that was cancelled months ago. 

The funny thing is that I received a new Princess credit card in the mail yesterday since my original one expires in August...I could have saved them the bother.🤨

11 hours ago, andydunn said:

😉

It is too bad they are not sending emails out to individuals so that they know. For example, my refund is wrong and I have no idea how they calculated it as I never got a cancellation notice or anything from Princess. This company really need to re-evaluate it's accounting policies.

·       Cruise Ship – Island Princess

·       Initial Booking Date – February 14, 2019

·       Travel Agent Involved - No

·       Scheduled Sail Date – June 25, 2020

·       Date of Full Payment – February 14, 2020

·       My Cancellation Date – March 7, 2020

·       Cancellation Type – Cash Refund

·       Cruise Cancellation Date of the Cruise – Well, its sailing has been cancelled now, but I am uncertain just when – Sometime in April or May - Probably Phase 2

·       Credit Card Disputes Filed – May 7, 2020 (Chase $10,000 and Barclays $10,748)

·       Federal Maritime Commission Complaint Filed – June 8, 2020

·       Contacts by Princess – None

·       Excursion Refunds – All received, within one week of cancellation

·       Future Cruise Credits – None received or expected

·       Time since cancellation – 111 Days

·       Cruise Fare Refunds -   $20,748 due, fully received

Good news on my end.  We received the balance due on the Barclays credit card last evening, and on the Chase credit card this morning.  I have cancelled both disputes.  Barclays will send us a check within 7-10 days (I had to ask - Business or calendar - I have learned some things in this process).  Chase is a bit more complicated, but we should receive the actual funds in 5-7 days with direct deposit into my account.

As to the future, no cruises for us without a vaccine. Flights are also very, very unlikely.  BArclays card will be replaced because of their poor dispute process.  We have cruised a lot, but this was to be our first Princess cruise.  COVID or not, their processes seem to be a mess, although they seem to be beginning to straighten it out.  We have decided to never make full payment on a cruise until the last possible day.  We are also unlikely to ever cruise with Princess, but for the right itinerary or price, we'd probably back off that statement.  🙂 

Best of luck to the rest of you.

14 minutes ago, aholter66 said:

·       Cruise Ship – Island Princess

·       Initial Booking Date – February 14, 2019

·       Travel Agent Involved - No

·       Scheduled Sail Date – June 25, 2020

·       Date of Full Payment – February 14, 2020

·       My Cancellation Date – March 7, 2020

·       Cancellation Type – Cash Refund

·       Cruise Cancellation Date of the Cruise – Well, its sailing has been cancelled now, but I am uncertain just when – Sometime in April or May - Probably Phase 2

·       Credit Card Disputes Filed – May 7, 2020 (Chase $10,000 and Barclays $10,748)

·       Federal Maritime Commission Complaint Filed – June 8, 2020

·       Contacts by Princess – None

·       Excursion Refunds – All received, within one week of cancellation

·       Future Cruise Credits – None received or expected

·       Time since cancellation – 111 Days

·       Cruise Fare Refunds -   $20,748 due, fully received

Good news on my end.  We received the balance due on the Barclays credit card last evening, and on the Chase credit card this morning.  I have cancelled both disputes.  Barclays will send us a check within 7-10 days (I had to ask - Business or calendar - I have learned some things in this process).  Chase is a bit more complicated, but we should receive the actual funds in 5-7 days with direct deposit into my account.

As to the future, no cruises for us without a vaccine. Flights are also very, very unlikely.  BArclays card will be replaced because of their poor dispute process.  We have cruised a lot, but this was to be our first Princess cruise.  COVID or not, their processes seem to be a mess, although they seem to be beginning to straighten it out.  We have decided to never make full payment on a cruise until the last possible day.  We are also unlikely to ever cruise with Princess, but for the right itinerary or price, we'd probably back off that statement.  🙂 

Best of luck to the rest of you.

Allen, Congratulations. Can you provide the specifics on how to file with the FMC? I went out to their web site which appears to focus on shipping.

I've finally received all my refunds / compensation from Princess on 4 canceled sailings as of this week:  

1) Full refund and FCCs as well as return of a non-expired FCD to my account on an early April cruise

2) Full refund and a gift card balance restored to original GC #, plus a non-expired FCD restored to my account for a mid-May cruise

3) Gift card balance restored to original GC # and expired FCD returned to my credit card for a late August sailing

4) Late Sept sailing, which had been paid in full last year... was able to move entire payment to a summer sailing in 2021  

I have a couple more sailings booked that are iffy.  I probably will move my deposits and any additional money on those bookings to a future sailing if they aren't back up and running by the time of final payment.  By future sailing, I mean 2022.  But, am wondering how long the cruise lines can hold out before we see the announcement of Chapter 11.  I still have gift cards and FCDs hanging out there to the tune of thousands ... I probably won't make that mistake again and if I could return them, I would.  That refund process caused me too much anxiety for months, although, I am finally made whole now.  Thank goodness!!  

I attempted Live Chat today, just to see if there has been ANY progress on my booking from March....I got a helpful agent who actually took the time to look at the booking rather than try to fob me off with the usual canned responses that we have all heard a hundred times. According to the agent, my refund began processing June 23rd...he confirmed the amounts and they match my records exactly. So, MAYBE, mine is finally getting done? Day 108 today...

57 minutes ago, SunLakesBob said:

Allen, Congratulations. Can you provide the specifics on how to file with the FMC? I went out to their web site which appears to focus on shipping.

I also filed a complaint with the FMC. Here's the instructions for what to do: https://www.fmc.gov/commission-advisory-for-cruise-passengers-june-17-2020/

They replied with an email asking me to fill out a form, so you don't have to put too much detail in the initial email. After I filled out and returned the form, I was assigned a case worker and case number. Nothing else has happened, though.

They currently have an open investigation of the cruise lines regarding refunds. You can read about it, and also provide input: https://www.fmc.gov/fact-finding-30/

4 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I attempted Live Chat today, just to see if there has been ANY progress on my booking from March....I got a helpful agent who actually took the time to look at the booking rather than try to fob me off with the usual canned responses that we have all heard a hundred times. According to the agent, my refund began processing June 23rd...he confirmed the amounts and they match my records exactly. So, MAYBE, mine is finally getting done? Day 108 today...

My agent confirmed the amounts with Princess in April and they still screwed up the amounts when they refunded it. Though this was before they started processing it. Hopefully yours is processed and will be released soon. Fingers crossed for you!

I was lucky to get a good rep last Saturday on the phone. He also went through everything with me and also realized I was short. I really appreciated his time, effort and professionalism as opposed to just passing me off.

Edited by Coral
7 minutes ago, CJinSF said:

I also filed a complaint with the FMC. Here's the instructions for what to do: https://www.fmc.gov/commission-advisory-for-cruise-passengers-june-17-2020/

They replied with an email asking me to fill out a form, so you don't have to put too much detail in the initial email. After I filled out and returned the form, I was assigned a case worker and case number. Nothing else has happened, though.

They currently have an open investigation of the cruise lines regarding refunds. You can read about it, and also provide input: https://www.fmc.gov/fact-finding-30/

Yup, that's what I did.  Thanks CJ.

41 minutes ago, Coral said:

My agent confirmed the amounts with Princess in April and they still screwed up the amounts when they refunded it. Though this was before they started processing it. Hopefully yours is processed and will be released soon. Fingers crossed for you!

I was lucky to get a good rep last Saturday on the phone. He also went through everything with me and also realized I was short. I really appreciated his time, effort and professionalism as opposed to just passing me off.

Yeah - I'm not getting my hopes up too much. I was told at the beginning of May that it had been processed on April 29th but that was obviously not correct...lol. 

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

Good news -- happy to hear that there may be a light at the end of the tunnel for you.  Can you please tell me where you found "Live Chat"?  I think I might attempt that avenue.  Thanks.

Just now, Italy52 said:

Good news -- happy to hear that there may be a light at the end of the tunnel for you.  Can you please tell me where you found "Live Chat"?  I think I might attempt that avenue.  Thanks.

It's on the Princess.com site - go to the booking screen and look down toward the bottom. It is green. If it's not showing, it means it's not available. It appears and disappears sporadically...lol

Just now, ceilidh1 said:

It's on the Princess.com site - go to the booking screen and look down toward the bottom. It is green. If it's not showing, it means it's not available. It appears and disappears sporadically...lol

Thanks much!