Jump to content

Refund Status for canceled cruises: Retitled after merges


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Even if you opted for FCC, you would still get port fees/taxes refunded along with any additional pre-paid items such as shorex, grats, air, etc...I opted for FCC but am also due around $3,500 as a refund for all of the pre-paid items.

Though some of those (taxes, fees, etc..) go into a Holding Account unless you asked for a refund.

Edited by Coral
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2020 at 7:48 AM, eroller said:

I finally caved in and filed a dispute with my bank.  This was for a cruise canceled in March and was also sailing in March.  First I was told 60 days, then 90 days, then an unknown amount of days.  I understand all the challenges the cruise lines are facing, but this huge delay in processing refunds is sketchy at best.  While there are challenges, I have no doubt the processing could be fast tracked if so desired.    

 

My FCC was processed a while back, and my only issue was an OBC that I purchased for myself to use on the cruise.  I feel it could have gotten lost in the shuffle since it's not a typical refund of cruise fare.  The other anomaly is that my cruise was on Cunard, but Princess in California handles all the bookings and payment processing for US bookings.  I was getting brushed around a bit with some agents telling me I had to contact Cunard UK, and Cunard UK telling me to contact Princess in California.  It was getting more and more frustrating.  I purchased the OBC using my bank debit card (PNC Bank).  The dispute process was easy and they instantly placed a credit for the full amount on my checking account, with the caveat that it could be reversed should the investigation not be in my favor.  I think they have 45 days to investigate and close the dispute.    
 

One thing this experience has taught me is to be very cautious booking a future cruise, at least now.  Knowing that any monies paid will be tied up 90 days or longer should I need to cancel and request a refund.  I think the cruise lines have shot themselves in the foot with this.  Losing the confidence of many loyal cruisers when confidence in the cruise industry is already at an all-time low.   

 

I also disputed my charges for two cruises.  One was with Carnival on my costco credit card.  It took about 60 days from dispute, but I was notified that it was resolved in my favor..

My Princess cruise was with BA visa card - I disputed on May 8th and today is the last day that Princess has to challenge the dispute.  I called Princess earlier in the week - they said that they contacted BA at the end of May and was told that I had disputed it.  I called BA yesterday and they said that they had no heard from Princess???

Either way, when I log into my account with BA tomorrow - it should show that it is final.  I received a full credit on my account back in May, but they give you the song and dance that it could be reversed.  I do not like the way BA credit card handles their disputes.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just wish Princess would figure this out, one way or another. When I disputed with my cards, I disputed for the full amount paid despite having opted for option 1 FCC. The reason I did so was because I had not received any FCC or any refund and I had hit the 75 day mark. I was 100% transparent with my banks and told them that I would be happy to accept the FCC and partial refund, but would like to dispute the full amount just in case. Several weeks later, my FCC finally showed up - I contacted the bank and told them that I had it and that if Princess contacted them saying I was owed a lower amount that was the reason. Since then, I still have the full temp credits plus the FCC. My fear now is that Princess fights the dispute or removes the FCC and I have to start all over. Maybe I should just apply the FCC to one of my future cruises so it can't just disappear? Such a mess....

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Even if you opted for FCC, you would still get port fees/taxes refunded along with any additional pre-paid items such as shorex, grats, air, etc...I opted for FCC but am also due around $3,500 as a refund for all of the pre-paid items.

So your dispute was for the exact amount owed to you for shore excursions, gratuities, air fare, taxes and port fees, "etc." and didn't include the amount of your fare?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cvpends said:

So your dispute was for the exact amount owed to you for shore excursions, gratuities, air fare, taxes and port fees, "etc." and didn't include the amount of your fare?

No, I disputed the full amount as I hadn't received any FCC either (see my previous post...lol)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Question for those of you who cancelled your cruise BEFORE Princess cancelled it:  Did the cost of the Princess insurance get refunded to you?  I thought I had read at some point in the past that they were going to refund all charges.  Mine was processed as a cancellation in normal times would be, which for my timing was loss of deposit and the cost of the insurance.  I'm so happy to have the bulk of my money refunded, but I'm just interested in what others have experienced.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Now sitting at 113 days with no refunds for two May 2020 cruises cancelled by Princess in Pause 1 and  Option 1 chosen.

 

FCC's credited to account June 1st, but still waiting for refunds for taxes/port fees/Princess Platinum Protection insurance. The refunds should be very simple to just credit back to one credit card. I have contacted Princess twice by phone and the last time I was told to contact my TA as the cruises were booked through them.

 

Here is part of the response I got from the TA today:

 

"Good afternoon, after calling and speaking with the Princess rep, her supervisor and the resolutions department, all three have advised me on the following. In the beginning when they were first estimating the times for refunds and future cruise credits they could estimate 60-90 days. Now that there are so many more voyages to cancel, submit refunds and future cruise credits they are no longer giving the estimation of 60-90 days. They are now saying they are going by voyages. Now what that means is your two sailings were in May and when they get to May voyages they will process them."

 

Now I know this is the party line being given out and I know it's not true as I've seen cruises later than May being refunded. Absolutely frustrating to say the least.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, redtop101 said:

Now I know this is the party line being given out and I know it's not true as I've seen cruises later than May being refunded. Absolutely frustrating to say the least.

Ugh.  If only they were simply straightforward with us, we would all be happier.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, clan said:

Question for those of you who cancelled your cruise BEFORE Princess cancelled it:  Did the cost of the Princess insurance get refunded to you?  I thought I had read at some point in the past that they were going to refund all charges.  Mine was processed as a cancellation in normal times would be, which for my timing was loss of deposit and the cost of the insurance.  I'm so happy to have the bulk of my money refunded, but I'm just interested in what others have experienced.

We Cancelled a March cruise a few days before Princess implemented Pause 1.  All monies paid for that cruise was refunded to our credit card.  Cancelled a June cruise when Princess extended the cancellation time to 60 days prior to cruise date.    Had all the monies paid refunded to credit card.  Both cruises were paid in full with insurance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, redtop101 said:

Now sitting at 113 days with no refunds for two May 2020 cruises cancelled by Princess in Pause 1 and  Option 1 chosen.

 

FCC's credited to account June 1st, but still waiting for refunds for taxes/port fees/Princess Platinum Protection insurance. The refunds should be very simple to just credit back to one credit card. I have contacted Princess twice by phone and the last time I was told to contact my TA as the cruises were booked through them.

 

Here is part of the response I got from the TA today:

 

"Good afternoon, after calling and speaking with the Princess rep, her supervisor and the resolutions department, all three have advised me on the following. In the beginning when they were first estimating the times for refunds and future cruise credits they could estimate 60-90 days. Now that there are so many more voyages to cancel, submit refunds and future cruise credits they are no longer giving the estimation of 60-90 days. They are now saying they are going by voyages. Now what that means is your two sailings were in May and when they get to May voyages they will process them."

 

Now I know this is the party line being given out and I know it's not true as I've seen cruises later than May being refunded. Absolutely frustrating to say the least.

Yes, definitely this has been frustrating.  I don't believe there is any particular order--this is a lot of BS they are telling TA's and passengers. We cancelled 2 May, 2020 cruises on 3/11 (subsequently cancelled by Princess)--we finally received our refunds (one fairly soon, the other at day 98), but as far as the FCC's are concerned...recently received for the 1st cruise in our accounts,; however, still waiting for the 2nd FCC...they told me they have no idea when they will process that one (this includes the PVP insurance we paid).  Have also seen those with later sailing dates getting money back before our May dates.  Then look what those poor folks who were on the world cruise have been going through...what a big mess!

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, redtop101 said:

Now sitting at 113 days with no refunds for two May 2020 cruises cancelled by Princess in Pause 1 and  Option 1 chosen.

 

FCC's credited to account June 1st, but still waiting for refunds for taxes/port fees/Princess Platinum Protection insurance. The refunds should be very simple to just credit back to one credit card. I have contacted Princess twice by phone and the last time I was told to contact my TA as the cruises were booked through them.

 

Here is part of the response I got from the TA today:

 

"Good afternoon, after calling and speaking with the Princess rep, her supervisor and the resolutions department, all three have advised me on the following. In the beginning when they were first estimating the times for refunds and future cruise credits they could estimate 60-90 days. Now that there are so many more voyages to cancel, submit refunds and future cruise credits they are no longer giving the estimation of 60-90 days. They are now saying they are going by voyages. Now what that means is your two sailings were in May and when they get to May voyages they will process them."

 

Now I know this is the party line being given out and I know it's not true as I've seen cruises later than May being refunded. Absolutely frustrating to say the least.

This money is probably being held in "a holding account" for when you book your next cruise since FCC can't go towards taxes and insurance. You may want to call Princess or have your TA call and either ask if it is there (holding account) or ask for a refund of this. You have to specifically ask for a refund or else it stays in the holding account.

Edited by Coral
Link to post
Share on other sites

May 17, 2020 cruise cancelled by Princess in phase 2, after final payment. Yesterday 7/7/2020 FCC for full amount of fare plus second line item of the promised 25% extra FCC showed up in my Princess account. I have not yet seen the expected refund to my CC of port fees, insurance, flight, hotel and transfer (all booked through Princess). 

 

I never called or emailed, as the FCC with 25% bonus was the default option and I was in no hurry and I plan to do this exact same cruise next year. I’ll keep checking the CC account for another week or so and then will call for a status on the refund portion.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I cancelled my MAY 3rd cruise on Feb. 29th, March 25th I called to see my refund status and was told that now I must fill out out the form (I chose option 2).  I received the FCC June 1, but no refund yet for my $2100.  I’m on day 122!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2020 at 12:09 PM, cherylandtk said:

I won’t tell you to be patient because that is just so aggravating to hear; you are going on 2 months of being patient.   It’s a lot of your money they are using.  
 

Based on the timing so far and when you cancelled, I would hope you see your refund between day 60 and 90 after cancelling, but it could be much later.  The longest refund I have seen so far is 111 days, but there are a couple of FB posts stating they are at 4 months and waiting.  Your refund should be straightforward.


122 days and counting......

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Coral said:

This money is probably being held in "a holding account" for when you book your next cruise since FCC can't go towards taxes and insurance. You may want to call Princess or have your TA call and either ask if it is there (holding account) or ask for a refund of this. You have to specifically ask for a refund or else it stays in the holding account.

 

I have since booked another cruise through another TA and used my FCC's on that cruise. Neither Princess or my former TA have made any mention of the money being put in a holding account. Just waiting ad nauseam for the money to be credited back to original credit card.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, redtop101 said:

 

I have since booked another cruise through another TA and used my FCC's on that cruise. Neither Princess or my former TA have made any mention of the money being put in a holding account. Just waiting ad nauseam for the money to be credited back to original credit card.

I would check with Princess because the default is to put it in a holding account. If you search holding account on this website, there are several charts.

 

You maybe waiting for nothing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Coral said:

I would check with Princess because the default is to put it in a holding account. If you search holding account on this website, there are several charts.

 

You maybe waiting for nothing.

holdingaccount.thumb.jpeg.5523a57de9cf14fe83b0b089fc375621.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Coral said:

holdingaccount.thumb.jpeg.5523a57de9cf14fe83b0b089fc375621.jpeg

Depending on who you speak to at Princess, these holding accounts may or may not exist. I'm not even kidding. With my TA hat, I just called on Monday to follow up for my client who is waiting on option 1 for March 14th (same as me). For the longest time, she had FCCs for option 2 but was waiting on refund of port fees and air and for the correct option1 FCC. About 10 days ago, the FCCs that she DID have disappeared, so I figured they must be working on it. I called Monday to follow up and the rep told me that nothing had been done in terms of FCC or refund but that she would escalate it as this was long past the timeframe it should be (did I mention that this booking has now been escalated 4 times and STILL nothing?) Anyways, I asked about the holding account and whether the refund portion had gone there - rep told me there was no holding account and money would go back to credit card. The previous time I called, the rep I spoke to told me the holding account was only for people that were ready to book and had holds on future cruises so the money could be transferred over. Honestly. NO ONE at Princess seems to know anything!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Depending on who you speak to at Princess, these holding accounts may or may not exist. I'm not even kidding. With my TA hat, I just called on Monday to follow up for my client who is waiting on option 1 for March 14th (same as me). For the longest time, she had FCCs for option 2 but was waiting on refund of port fees and air and for the correct option1 FCC. About 10 days ago, the FCCs that she DID have disappeared, so I figured they must be working on it. I called Monday to follow up and the rep told me that nothing had been done in terms of FCC or refund but that she would escalate it as this was long past the timeframe it should be (did I mention that this booking has now been escalated 4 times and STILL nothing?) Anyways, I asked about the holding account and whether the refund portion had gone there - rep told me there was no holding account and money would go back to credit card. The previous time I called, the rep I spoke to told me the holding account was only for people that were ready to book and had holds on future cruises so the money could be transferred over. Honestly. NO ONE at Princess seems to know anything!

The one webinar made it sound like holding accounts were the norm. I know several who were waiting for refunds and they were in the holding account - they had to ask for a refund to get them. Honestly - how do people coincide "ready to book" when they don't even know when FCC would hit their account.

Edited by Coral
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Coral said:

The one webinar made it sound like holding accounts were the norm. I know several who were waiting for refunds and they were in the holding account - they had to ask for a refund to get them. Honestly - how do people coincide "ready to book" when they don't even know when FCC would hit their account.

For sure - one of the reasons I called a while back for my client was to request the refund from the holding account, only to be told that there wasn't one. There could be one, but some reps no nothing about it? Or maybe there isn't one? Or maybe some go into holding and some don't? Who knows? All I know is that neither my client nor I have our $$$ from Princess and I know 100% that Princess is aware we want it! LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

For sure - one of the reasons I called a while back for my client was to request the refund from the holding account, only to be told that there wasn't one. There could be one, but some reps no nothing about it? Or maybe there isn't one? Or maybe some go into holding and some don't? Who knows? All I know is that neither my client nor I have our $$$ from Princess and I know 100% that Princess is aware we want it! LOL

When I was trying to get the status of my refund I was told that my port taxes and fees would be refunded to my credit card --- I chose Option 1.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

When I was trying to get the status of my refund I was told that my port taxes and fees would be refunded to my credit card --- I chose Option 1.

 

I was told mine would be refunded to credit card. It went into a holding account. I also chose Option 1.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CaribbeanIsland said:

I was told mine would be refunded to credit card. It went into a holding account. I also chose Option 1.

My point exactly - the answer is different each time you call. That's why I stopped even trying and disputed with my credit card. My bank can talk to them now. LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Cruise Critic's State of the Industry Report - Trends & Future Outlook
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...