Jump to content

Refund Status for canceled cruises: Retitled after merges


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, ghstudio said:

At this point, there is no reason to call Princess or even your TA if you have submitted the form and received a receipt.  You either will or won't get a refund and wringing your hands here won't get it any faster.  Like everyone else, I filed the form....Carnival has $6 billion.....my fare is less than that.....I'm just waiting.

Yup, I  suspect that we will not see a significant number of refunds until 60-90 days.  That said, it's still good to hear that some people have started to get refunds.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll offer a perspective.  We were on Grand for the ill fated February 21 voyage.  I've discussed that at length elsewhere so will only talk about the credit & FCC aspect here.

 

We were held on Grand until 4 days after our scheduled departure by which time we had been given word that our fare and onboard charges would be refunded and an FCC issued for our 'trouble'.

 

The onboard account was fully wiped.  Charges were limited to whatever Princess defined as "reasonable".

The refund to my credit card landed about the same time we stepped off the bus at Travis, literally within minutes, just dumb luck I think there's no way they timed it that close.

The FCC posted the following business day.

 

If we can assume they are offering similar compensation to passengers just off Coral, Pacific, Ruby and others AND prioritizing them in the same way, one can understand why un-sailed refunds might be at the bottom of a very large pile.  We're waiting on a substantial refund for an April 21 sailing and are eager to receive it, but frankly, it's only proper that those who have experienced actual impacts receive first priority.  

 

As for the prospect that Carnival will go bankrupt, no court in the world would let them go under with $6B cash on hand.  Those in line for refunds would be fairly high priority creditors in any case.  I'm as frustrated as anyone about the delay, but frankly have little worry that the refund will eventually arrive.  Might the FCC's expire before we can find something to book, perhaps.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jondfk said:

 We're waiting on a substantial refund for an April 21 sailing and are eager to receive it, but frankly, it's only proper that those who have experienced actual impacts receive first priority.  

 

 

 

While I agree with you partly, yesterday we were scheduled to sail on the first day of a 42 day B2B cruise in a suite. This was to be a trip of a lifetime, and we saved long and hard to afford it.  Princess is holding enough of our money to buy a nice car.  I consider that an "actual impact". I am scared silly that we will never see that money.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LDVinNC said:

 

While I agree with you partly, yesterday we were scheduled to sail on the first day of a 42 day B2B cruise in a suite. This was to be a trip of a lifetime, and we saved long and hard to afford it.  Princess is holding enough of our money to buy a nice car.  I consider that an "actual impact". I am scared silly that we will never see that money.

 

There's no doubt that Princess holding our money is an "actual impact".  On the other hand, let me assure you that planning a trip for 15 days, having it end up being 34 days with 20 of those spend locked in your room, is a different sort of impact.  I didn't intend to trivialize any of us waiting for money back, I only intended to give some sense of how refunds might be being prioritized, any offense was unintentional.  

 

I understand your fear and believe me I feel your pain, we too were booked in a suite for April, in addition we lost 3 weeks of income while at Travis and being delayed in disembarkation.  As I wrote, I have no real worry that the money won't come, and yes it would be great to have it sooner rather than later.  Here's hoping that the senior folks at Princess clearly understand that every day of delay undoubtedly looses future customers, some forever.  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2020 at 3:51 PM, Cruise Raider said:

 

I've read on here that some have been successful in getting these refunded prior to their expiration dates.  Those refunds should come in the form of a check from BottomLine Technology sent via the USPS (if you are in the US).  I believe the normal time frame is anywhere from 2-6 weeks ... but these times are anything but normal.  BTW, they will automatically refund after the expiration date in the same manner, though.  I've gotten a refund for one of mine that expired last year.  

My refund for an FCD late 2019 was refunded to the original credit card.  I am awaiting a refund on another now,

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, LDVinNC said:

Not do I mean to make light of the troubles experienced by those quarantined on ships or on land post-cruise. Forgive me if I seemed insensitive.

I completely understand. I had a large B2B cruise booked also (though not as much as you had invested). It was going to celebrate a big birthday. I was going to be gone a month. I am disappointed also and hope to see the money back soon.

 

We can be sad about the current situation and COVID-19 patients and also be sad about our situation also.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jondfk said:

 Here's hoping that the senior folks at Princess clearly understand that every day of delay undoubtedly looses future customers, some forever.  

 

 

 

Let's hope Princess understands this......they already have had enough negative world press that most companies never experience and if they want to add that they cheated thousands of passengers out of hundreds of thousands of dollars for cruises that were never cruised they certainly could have a problem on their hands that would be very difficult to over come in terms of goodwill and customer loyalty.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

 

Let's hope Princess understands this......they already have had enough negative world press that most companies never experience and if they want to add that they cheated thousands of passengers out of hundreds of thousands of dollars for cruises that were never cruised they certainly could have a problem on their hands that would be very difficult to over come in terms of goodwill and customer loyalty.

Did Princess really deserve all the crap that has come their way the past few months. Is it really all that hard to maybe give Princess Cruises a break and be a little patient while they sort it all out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, billco said:

Did Princess really deserve all the crap that has come their way the past few months. Is it really all that hard to maybe give Princess Cruises a break and be a little patient while they sort it all out.

No they don't. It could have happened on any line.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the correction jimmieg, Somehow I was looking at the wrong chart.  But my main point still stands. RCL is in better shape than CCL .  CCL $12.42    RCL  $40.22    CCL 56.04 down to 12.42  RCL $135 down to $40.22.

 

I really hope they both make a comeback

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, LDVinNC said:

 

Not sure what this means.  Princess let the charge backs get out of hand? How, by delaying repayments?  And 1% of what?  I am curious.

 

Correct, by delaying repayments Management has created a "run on the bank" scenario

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, billco said:

Did Princess really deserve all the crap that has come their way the past few months. Is it really all that hard to maybe give Princess Cruises a break and be a little patient while they sort it all out.

Princess and most other cruise lines dont deserve a break from us. Princess deserves all the crap that is coming their way, they earned it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Mikel1733 said:

I'm concerned the announcements on April 14th, by the close of business might be more negative than we expect.  Hopefully its not an announcement of bankruptcy.

I think they are safe from bankruptcy in the immediate future with the Saudi money. April 14th will be more cancellations which will drop the market, obviously.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Coral said:

I think they are safe from bankruptcy in the immediate future with the Saudi money. April 14th will be more cancellations which will drop the market, obviously.

Although I don't see bankruptcy happening, It is my understanding that Carnival didn't see a dime of the Saudi money.  I understand the stock purchase was made on the open market, not a purchase from Carnival.  Carnival's stock owners benefitted but I don't think that purchase really helped Carnival Corporation much.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Although I don't see bankruptcy happening, It is my understanding that Carnival didn't see a dime of the Saudi money.  I understand the stock purchase was made on the open market, not a purchase from Carnival.  Carnival's stock owners benefitted but I don't think that purchase really helped Carnival Corporation much.

 

Not true I believe,, a look at the Carnival investment relations website shows the placement of new shares which were in turn purchased by the Saudi's.  The money raised went directly to Carnival, in addition to the debt offering.  The debt carried very high interest rates which are effectively guaranteed by the U.S. Treasury through their actions on Friday.  Anyone who managed to pickup Carnival debt at 11%+ with a government guarantee is undoubtedly laughing all the way to the bank.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, billco said:

Did Princess really deserve all the crap that has come their way the past few months. Is it really all that hard to maybe give Princess Cruises a break and be a little patient while they sort it all out.

 

It is not a question if they deserved it or not but they are the poster boy/girl to most to of the world on COVID-19 and a horrible cruising experience.  That perception could be very hard to change.

 

I think people are being very patient with Princess and they are just not buying into their lies anymore on the return of monies owed thousands of guests.....until that changes they are not going to be very popular and a negative item in the news and especially with those guests impacted by their secrecy of not returning cruise fares in a timely manner.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Three weeks ago, we requested the 4 FCC certificate payments be refunded to the credit card on record. At that time we were told it will take 10 business days. Trying to patient at this difficult time, we waited an additional week. DH just called Princess and was told 60 days! Not a good way to retain customers when you do this to frequent cruisers. 

 

I'm waiting for Virgin Atlantic to refund us for cancelled flights - at least I have the documentation and was told 100 days at the outset. Plus, the date of this charge is rather recent and I can always contact the credit card company. The FCC's are well over a year old so CC charge back might not work.

 

We still have our CCL stock.

 

Be well, be safe

 

Darcy

Edited by WatchHill
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jondfk said:

 

Not true I believe,, a look at the Carnival investment relations website shows the placement of new shares which were in turn purchased by the Saudi's.  The money raised went directly to Carnival, in addition to the debt offering.  The debt carried very high interest rates which are effectively guaranteed by the U.S. Treasury through their actions on Friday.  Anyone who managed to pickup Carnival debt at 11%+ with a government guarantee is undoubtedly laughing all the way to the bank.

 

According to Bloomberg News reporter Jonathan Levin:   "The shares were acquired before a planned stock offering by Carnival, so the percentage holding will change."

 

See:  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-06/saudi-s-public-fund-unveils-8-2-carnival-stake-amid-stock-rout

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, billco said:

Did Princess really deserve all the crap that has come their way the past few months. Is it really all that hard to maybe give Princess Cruises a break and be a little patient while they sort it all out.

Good point.  Princess is clearly not responsible for the Pandemic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jondfk said:

Not true I believe,, a look at the Carnival investment relations website shows the placement of new shares which were in turn purchased by the Saudi's.  The money raised went directly to Carnival, in addition to the debt offering. The debt carried very high interest rates which are effectively guaranteed by the U.S. Treasury through their actions on Friday.  Anyone who managed to pickup Carnival debt at 11%+ with a government guarantee is undoubtedly laughing all the way to the bank.

 

The second part of your post, the section I underlined above, I don't believe is correct.  Please look at the document I have attached to this post from the Federal Reserve describing their purchase of junk bond debt.  One of the conditions for the Feds to purchase junk bonds is below and CCL does not qualify as it is not incorporated in the US and does not have a majority of employees based in the US.

 

1. The issuer is a business that is created or organized in the United States or under the laws of the United States with significant operations in and a majority of its employees based in the United States.

 

Fed Res Junk Bonds.pdf

Edited by bluesea321
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Marbel87 said:

You only have 60 days to file a dispute with your credit card. After that, if princess doesn't refund us we're just screwed and nothing we can do?

The dispute timeline varies with different credit cards. Many have posted about this on cc 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Marbel87 said:

You only have 60 days to file a dispute with your credit card. After that, if princess doesn't refund us we're just screwed and nothing we can do?

thanks for a post about credit card chargebacks ...

 

My question is can/will Princess 'blacklist' any customers who request a chargeback to their credit cards, from any future cruises with Princess while a refund/FCC is in process from any future cruising with Princess unless cash is used 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, voljeep said:

thanks for a post about credit card chargebacks ...

 

My question is can/will Princess 'blacklist' any customers who request a chargeback to their credit cards, from any future cruises with Princess while a refund/FCC is in process from any future cruising with Princess unless cash is used 

Use a different credit card to book. Have cabin mate do booking.  I doubt they would blacklist anyone willing to pay money 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...