Refund Status for canceled cruises: Retitled after merges

lahore

On 4/11/2020 at 3:51 PM, Cruise Raider said:

I've read on here that some have been successful in getting these refunded prior to their expiration dates.  Those refunds should come in the form of a check from BottomLine Technology sent via the USPS (if you are in the US).  I believe the normal time frame is anywhere from 2-6 weeks ... but these times are anything but normal.  BTW, they will automatically refund after the expiration date in the same manner, though.  I've gotten a refund for one of mine that expired last year.  

My refund for an FCD late 2019 was refunded to the original credit card.  I am awaiting a refund on another now,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, LDVinNC said:

Not do I mean to make light of the troubles experienced by those quarantined on ships or on land post-cruise. Forgive me if I seemed insensitive.

I completely understand. I had a large B2B cruise booked also (though not as much as you had invested). It was going to celebrate a big birthday. I was going to be gone a month. I am disappointed also and hope to see the money back soon.

We can be sad about the current situation and COVID-19 patients and also be sad about our situation also.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jondfk said:

Here's hoping that the senior folks at Princess clearly understand that every day of delay undoubtedly looses future customers, some forever.  

Let's hope Princess understands this......they already have had enough negative world press that most companies never experience and if they want to add that they cheated thousands of passengers out of hundreds of thousands of dollars for cruises that were never cruised they certainly could have a problem on their hands that would be very difficult to over come in terms of goodwill and customer loyalty.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

Let's hope Princess understands this......they already have had enough negative world press that most companies never experience and if they want to add that they cheated thousands of passengers out of hundreds of thousands of dollars for cruises that were never cruised they certainly could have a problem on their hands that would be very difficult to over come in terms of goodwill and customer loyalty.

Did Princess really deserve all the crap that has come their way the past few months. Is it really all that hard to maybe give Princess Cruises a break and be a little patient while they sort it all out.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, billco said:

Did Princess really deserve all the crap that has come their way the past few months. Is it really all that hard to maybe give Princess Cruises a break and be a little patient while they sort it all out.

No they don't. It could have happened on any line.

• Like 2

Thanks for the correction jimmieg, Somehow I was looking at the wrong chart.  But my main point still stands. RCL is in better shape than CCL .  CCL $12.42    RCL  $40.22    CCL 56.04 down to 12.42  RCL $135 down to $40.22.

I really hope they both make a comeback

• Like 2

14 hours ago, LDVinNC said:

Not sure what this means.  Princess let the charge backs get out of hand? How, by delaying repayments?  And 1% of what?  I am curious.

Correct, by delaying repayments Management has created a "run on the bank" scenario

10 hours ago, billco said:

Princess and most other cruise lines dont deserve a break from us. Princess deserves all the crap that is coming their way, they earned it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Mikel1733 said:

I'm concerned the announcements on April 14th, by the close of business might be more negative than we expect.  Hopefully its not an announcement of bankruptcy.

I think they are safe from bankruptcy in the immediate future with the Saudi money. April 14th will be more cancellations which will drop the market, obviously.

7 minutes ago, Coral said:

I think they are safe from bankruptcy in the immediate future with the Saudi money. April 14th will be more cancellations which will drop the market, obviously.

Although I don't see bankruptcy happening, It is my understanding that Carnival didn't see a dime of the Saudi money.  I understand the stock purchase was made on the open market, not a purchase from Carnival.  Carnival's stock owners benefitted but I don't think that purchase really helped Carnival Corporation much.

16 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Although I don't see bankruptcy happening, It is my understanding that Carnival didn't see a dime of the Saudi money.  I understand the stock purchase was made on the open market, not a purchase from Carnival.  Carnival's stock owners benefitted but I don't think that purchase really helped Carnival Corporation much.

Not true I believe,, a look at the Carnival investment relations website shows the placement of new shares which were in turn purchased by the Saudi's.  The money raised went directly to Carnival, in addition to the debt offering.  The debt carried very high interest rates which are effectively guaranteed by the U.S. Treasury through their actions on Friday.  Anyone who managed to pickup Carnival debt at 11%+ with a government guarantee is undoubtedly laughing all the way to the bank.

11 hours ago, billco said:

It is not a question if they deserved it or not but they are the poster boy/girl to most to of the world on COVID-19 and a horrible cruising experience.  That perception could be very hard to change.

I think people are being very patient with Princess and they are just not buying into their lies anymore on the return of monies owed thousands of guests.....until that changes they are not going to be very popular and a negative item in the news and especially with those guests impacted by their secrecy of not returning cruise fares in a timely manner.

• Like 3

Three weeks ago, we requested the 4 FCC certificate payments be refunded to the credit card on record. At that time we were told it will take 10 business days. Trying to patient at this difficult time, we waited an additional week. DH just called Princess and was told 60 days! Not a good way to retain customers when you do this to frequent cruisers. 

I'm waiting for Virgin Atlantic to refund us for cancelled flights - at least I have the documentation and was told 100 days at the outset. Plus, the date of this charge is rather recent and I can always contact the credit card company. The FCC's are well over a year old so CC charge back might not work.

We still have our CCL stock.

Be well, be safe

Darcy

Edited by WatchHill

2 hours ago, jondfk said:

Not true I believe,, a look at the Carnival investment relations website shows the placement of new shares which were in turn purchased by the Saudi's.  The money raised went directly to Carnival, in addition to the debt offering.  The debt carried very high interest rates which are effectively guaranteed by the U.S. Treasury through their actions on Friday.  Anyone who managed to pickup Carnival debt at 11%+ with a government guarantee is undoubtedly laughing all the way to the bank.

According to Bloomberg News reporter Jonathan Levin:   "The shares were acquired before a planned stock offering by Carnival, so the percentage holding will change."

See:  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-06/saudi-s-public-fund-unveils-8-2-carnival-stake-amid-stock-rout

14 hours ago, billco said:

Good point.  Princess is clearly not responsible for the Pandemic.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jondfk said:

Not true I believe,, a look at the Carnival investment relations website shows the placement of new shares which were in turn purchased by the Saudi's.  The money raised went directly to Carnival, in addition to the debt offering. The debt carried very high interest rates which are effectively guaranteed by the U.S. Treasury through their actions on Friday.  Anyone who managed to pickup Carnival debt at 11%+ with a government guarantee is undoubtedly laughing all the way to the bank.

The second part of your post, the section I underlined above, I don't believe is correct.  Please look at the document I have attached to this post from the Federal Reserve describing their purchase of junk bond debt.  One of the conditions for the Feds to purchase junk bonds is below and CCL does not qualify as it is not incorporated in the US and does not have a majority of employees based in the US.

1. The issuer is a business that is created or organized in the United States or under the laws of the United States with significant operations in and a majority of its employees based in the United States.

Fed Res Junk Bonds.pdf

Edited by bluesea321

3 minutes ago, Marbel87 said:

You only have 60 days to file a dispute with your credit card. After that, if princess doesn't refund us we're just screwed and nothing we can do?

The dispute timeline varies with different credit cards. Many have posted about this on cc 

4 minutes ago, Marbel87 said:

You only have 60 days to file a dispute with your credit card. After that, if princess doesn't refund us we're just screwed and nothing we can do?

thanks for a post about credit card chargebacks ...

My question is can/will Princess 'blacklist' any customers who request a chargeback to their credit cards, from any future cruises with Princess while a refund/FCC is in process from any future cruising with Princess unless cash is used 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

thanks for a post about credit card chargebacks ...

My question is can/will Princess 'blacklist' any customers who request a chargeback to their credit cards, from any future cruises with Princess while a refund/FCC is in process from any future cruising with Princess unless cash is used 

Use a different credit card to book. Have cabin mate do booking.  I doubt they would blacklist anyone willing to pay money 

I'm also waiting for my refund. Canceled on March 9th for a cruise on May 16. But there's a big difference on how Princess is handling refunds vs other travel providers. We were booked on Delta to Asia at end-May. Delta canceled our flights on April 3. I called them immediately, after a 2 minute wait I was transferred to the refunds desk and was immediately offered a choice between future flight credits and refund to our cards (4 people were booked  and 2 cards were used). I selected a refund and was told no worries, refund will show up within 10-21 business days. On April 10, 7 calendar days after I called, the refunds showed up on our cards. Now I would argue that airlines have been every bit as badly affected as cruise lines, yet the way Delta handled it was impressive.  At a tough time like this its great to receive a prompt refund. I know that for future travel, we will always look to Delta first.  Cruises? Not sure if we'll look at Princess again. 

Edited by Baby_Bear
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, Baby_Bear said:

I'm also waiting for my refund. Canceled on March 9th for a cruise on May 16. But there's a big difference on how Princess is handling refunds vs other travel providers. We were booked on Delta to Asia at end-May. Delta canceled our flights on April 3. I called them immediately, after a 2 minute wait I was transferred to the refunds desk and was immediately offered a choice between future flight credits and refund to our cards (4 people were booked  and 2 cards were used). I selected a refund and was told no worries, refund will show up within 10-21 business days. On April 10, 7 calendar days after I called, the refunds showed up on our cards. Now I would argue that airlines have been every bit as badly affected as cruise lines, yet the way Delta handled it was impressive.  At a tough time like this its great to receive a prompt refund. I know that for future travel, we will always look to Delta first

Cruises? Not sure if we'll look at Princess again. 

sure - Princess cancels A SINGLE cruise and 3,000 cruisers are affected immediately wanting refunds / FCC

how many of those were booked with Delta ?

j/s

5 minutes ago, Baby_Bear said:

I'm also waiting for my refund. Canceled on March 9th for a cruise on May 16. But there's a big difference on how Princess is handling refunds vs other travel providers. We were booked on Delta to Asia at end-May. Delta canceled our flights on April 3. I called them immediately, after a 2 minute wait I was transferred to the refunds desk and was immediately offered a choice between future flight credits and refund to our cards (4 people were booked  and 2 cards were used). I selected a refund and was told no worries, refund will show up within 10-21 business days. On April 10, 7 calendar days after I called, the refunds showed up on our cards. Now I would argue that airlines have been every bit as badly affected as cruise lines, yet the way Delta handled it was impressive.  At a tough time like this its great to receive a prompt refund. I know that for future travel, we will always look to Delta first

Cruises? Not sure if we'll look at Princess again. 

Apples and Oranges.

#1 - Delta was not required to cancel every flight they have between March 12 and sometime in late July.

#2 - When Delta cancels a flight, they need to do refunds for a couple of hundred passengers at most.  When a cruise gets cancelled, a few thousand passengers need to get refunds.

Reasonably it follows that it takes time to process that many refunds.

I'm glad Delta took good care of you.  I'm looking at cancelling 8 Delta flights in September.  I booked these flights last year and Delta is not offering any waivers, only a notice to keep checking their website.

• Like 2

Voljeep: you are aware of how many flights Delta operated per day pre-Covid-19, right? That would be 5,000 daily departures, so 35,000 departures over the standard 7 day period for a cruise. Total passengers carried during that same 7 day period? Just under 4 million. With the crisis, virtually all international flights have been canceled and tons of US domestic flights. Now tell me why people shouldn't call out Princess for being so slow to put through refunds while companies carrying loads several times larger put through refunds in a week. Delta is considered top of the line among US carriers, but I thought Princess was also at the top of the heap. 

Edited by Baby_Bear
  • Like 5