Refund Status for canceled cruises: Retitled after merges

lahore

12 minutes ago, voljeep said:

sure - Princess cancels A SINGLE cruise and 3,000 cruisers are affected immediately wanting refunds / FCC

how many of those were booked with Delta ?

j/s

I’m convinced Princess has a cash flow problem right now and limited, experienced staff working at the moment. Let’s wait for their announcement tomorrow to give Princess a chance to explain their intentions. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, voljeep said:

sure - Princess cancels A SINGLE cruise and 3,000 cruisers are affected immediately wanting refunds / FCC

j/s

But ... with 5,000 DAILY departures... let’s say 100 passengers on a plane (which is low-balling) = 50,000 affected DAILY? I’d say Delta definitely wins that argument.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Apples and Oranges.

#1 - Delta was not required to cancel every flight they have between March 12 and sometime in late July.

#2 - When Delta cancels a flight, they need to do refunds for a couple of hundred passengers at most.  When a cruise gets cancelled, a few thousand passengers need to get refunds.

Reasonably it follows that it takes time to process that many refunds.

I'm glad Delta took good care of you.  I'm looking at cancelling 8 Delta flights in September.  I booked these flights last year and Delta is not offering any waivers, only a notice to keep checking their website.

Not apples and oranges at all.

Yes Delta didn't have to cancel every flight. But they have slashed 70% of their flights, or 3,500 departures per day. Assuming 200 pax per flight, that's 700,000 people's refunds to process (the actual number will be lower as many people would've booked roundtrips or one booking covering multiple pax). Either way its a stark contrast to Princess. 

For the record, Delta were amazing. If you are flying in Sep, chances are they did not cancel your flight. If you call to cancel, I think the only option you'll be offered is a future flight credit. On the other hand, if the airline cancels the flight ie. no fault of passenger, you are entitled to a full refund. If you don't want to fly in Sep, I'd wait a bit to see if your flight gets canceled in which case they will make you whole. And if the flight is running but you don't want to fly, you'll get a flight credit so you'll be no worse off. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dog said:

I’m convinced Princess has a cash flow problem right now and limited, experienced staff working at the moment. Let’s wait for their announcement tomorrow to give Princess a chance to explain their intentions. 

I agree with this. I am also concerned that, with more cancellations pending (I'm assuming that is the announcement tomorrow) there are now even more people in line for refunds, with less cash available, and (maybe) less staff working. How much further does this push us back? I am also concerned about things getting "lost" if, indeed, these refunds need to be manually done. (I do think this is a valid argument since every refund is unique in a way - it's not one set amount going back). I wonder what kind of "system" is in place to ensure every passenger gets taken care of? Is it by ship? By sailing date? By cancellation date? Human error could mean that some get missed but who would we know if we are in that "missed" group until the 90 days pass - then do we have to start the wait all over again? So many questions....

I, personally, am on day 34 since cancellation for a cruise that would have sailed March 14th....if that means anything in the grand scheme of things. Nothing back yet.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, dog said:

Use a different credit card to book. Have cabin mate do booking.  I doubt they would blacklist anyone willing to pay money 

So we called princess today, they tell us 60 days to process refund.  They also told me of I dispute the charge with my cc, I should still receive the  future cruise credit.  Take that with a grain of salt, I don't see it written anywhere. The length of time you have to dispute a charge varies by credit card. I plan to wait to the last couple days to dispute it with my cc, in hopes princess will process the refund before then. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sunnysunshine said:

But ... with 5,000 DAILY departures... let’s say 100 passengers on a plane (which is low-balling) = 50,000 affected DAILY? I’d say Delta definitely wins that argument.

Delta never had to cancel every flight they operate.  They were only required to cancel international flights.  Domestic flights were not shut down by the Government.  Any domestic routes or flights being cancelled by Delta are being cancelled because hardly anybody is using those flights so there are few refunds to issue.  Please don't try to make it look like Delta is comparable to Princess.  Princess has had to cancel every passenger on every cruise.  Delta only had to cancel their international flights.  Delta is also getting bailed out by the stimulus package, Princess is getting no government help at all.  There is really no comparison.  (BTW I like Delta but please don't use Delta as a hammer to bludgeon Princess - they're both good companies working under a world wide crises with different problems and available solutions.)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Delta never had to cancel every flight they operate.  They were only required to cancel international flights.  Domestic flights were not shut down by the Government.  Any domestic routes or flights being cancelled by Delta are being cancelled because hardly anybody is using those flights so there are few refunds to issue.  Please don't try to make it look like Delta is comparable to Princess.  Princess has had to cancel every passenger on every cruise.  Delta only had to cancel their international flights.  Delta is also getting bailed out by the stimulus package, Princess is getting no government help at all.  There is really no comparison.  (BTW I like Delta but please don't use Delta as a hammer to bludgeon Princess - they're both good companies working under a world wide crises with different problems and available solutions.)

Not using a hammer - just making a point. And you are right, as a US incorporated company, Delta is eligible to receive help from the stimulus package. 

47 minutes ago, sunnysunshine said:

Actually, using your example, its 500,000. 

30 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Ok, I dont even understand this. You say that domestic flights are getting cancelled because hardly anyone is flying so refunds are fewer? The reason why so many flights are either empty or are being cancelled due to low load, is because so many people have already cancelled. And so there are a ton of refunds to process. 

Look, I like Princess. But I'm also not a cheerleader who's going to defend them no matter what. I commended them for doing a fantastic job with the Diamond Princess in very difficult circumstances.  But this current situation where there are such long waits for refunds is not right. And there are examples all around us of companies doing a much better job with refunds. Another example? I had hotels booked in Asia thru Expedia.  I called Expedia to cancel and the refunds showed up in 10 days. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, sunnysunshine said:

Details... 😂

Speaking of details.. the OP of this thread asked if people were getting their refunds back to their credit cards yet.

The first few early replies were YES but it appears the tsunami of refunds have now delayed it for the rest of us.

I am interested only in people letting us know when they eventually DO get a refund to give the rest of us all hope..TIA.

The rest of the financial ins and outs completely out of our control so I’m not spending a moment ‘worrying’ about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

and the company not mentioned above as that is not allowed in CC, processes how many refunds per day ?

right, you don't know, and I don't either … but it's not to hard to calculate how many refunds, within reason, P must process  when P cancels a single cruise … and it's not just the cruise fare

flame on !!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

thanks for a post about credit card chargebacks ...

My question is can/will Princess 'blacklist' any customers who request a chargeback to their credit cards, from any future cruises with Princess while a refund/FCC is in process from any future cruising with Princess unless cash is used 

The black list might be the other way around.....customers have a right to dispute claims and whether a company is acting in good faith on providing services paid for....the question might be whether Princess is pulling a financial charade on its loyal customers or not?

• Like 1

I just got  off the phone with Princess.  I had called regarding a refund of onboard credit (paid with gift cards).  I cancelled pre-booked shore excursions on my own prior to Princess cancelling our March 22 cruise.  I received the refund to the main gift card for that almost immediately.  I was told after our cruise was cancelled that refunds for the converted onboard credit were forthcoming since the cruise had been cancelled.  Well, it has now been a month and I still have not been refunded the converted onboard credit.  I am missing just over $250 on my gift cards.  When I called today, I was told that since it had been attached to our cancelled sailing, it will now be processed with the return of our cruise fare (we selected option 2, full refund plus 100% FCC).  And I was told that Princess has a special team who is processing the returns starting with the earliest cancelled cruises and going from there.  I was told our cruise was towards the beginning of the cancellations so it is likely we will see a refund prior to the expiration of the 60 days.  But I was told in the same conversation that Princess's payment processors and the banks they work with are the reason for the delay . . . that due to the virus, the payment processors and banks are "closed" and thus there would be a delay in issuing the refunds.  Not sure what that means since no bank around where we live is closed - they are considered essential.  I will wait until it gets closer to the 60 days but I will file a dispute with our credit card company if we have to.  

Edited by jat1977
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, voljeep said:

j/s

Do you know how many DAILY flights DL operates?

Delta operates 5,500 daily flights for your information.

How many cruise Princess operates each  WEEK? 

Or, for that matter, how many passengers ANNUALLY Delta flew?

It is 200 millions.

Better learn something before comparing something when there is not even a comparison.

Edited by nho9504
add info
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, jat1977 said:

But I was told in the same conversation that Princess's payment processors and the banks they work with are the reason for the delay . . . that due to the virus, the payment processors and banks are "closed" and thus there would be a delay in issuing the refunds.  Not sure what that means since no bank around where we live is closed - they are considered essential.  I will wait until it gets closer to the 60 days but I will file a dispute with our credit card company if we have to.  

That is just baloney, if you ask me!  Excuses, excuses.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, nho9504 said:

It is 200 millions.

Better learn something before comparing something when there is not even a comparison.

so, how many refunds did Delta process today for cancelled flights ? - REFUNDS ?

If Princess had the cash available for refunds, they would be paying them. I think it's obvious (and expected) that they don't have the cash.  The real problem is.....  how are they going to get the cash?  Not from resumed operations.  Even if they can resume operations soon (unlikely) they will undoubtedly operate in the red for the foreseeable future.  No, they would have to opt for one or more rather poor options to raise cash.  Sell bonds at extraordinarily high interest rates; issue a stock offering that dilutes existing shareholders and tanks the stock price; sell assets (ships) at very depressed prices; or ???.  Given this, one cannot ignore the possibility that the best option for the company is to pursue bankruptcy.   If they choose bankruptcy, they can either choose to reorganize and continue operations (which would likely screw shareholders, but may protect existing customer's deposits & FCC) or they could choose to liquidate assets and cease operations (which would benefit secured creditors, but pretty much screw everyone else).   The question of IF refunds are paid may be more important then WHEN.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, LDVinNC said:

That is just baloney, if you ask me!  Excuses, excuses.

Additionally, I do not believe that the refunds would require human interaction with a bank.  I would think a few key-clicks would accomplish a refund.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, nho9504 said:

It is 200 millions.

So, in the interests of learning more about this, how many of those 5,500 flights are actually only flight segments?  Usually my flights on Delta involve a flight to Atlanta then onto my real destination.  How many of your number of 5,500 flights are non-stop flights or are you counting flight segments as separate flights?  Airlines are much more flexible as they need to reschedule and cancel flights as a regular course of business.  Therefore they are better prepared to deal with managing reimbursements for cancellations - both made by the airline and by the passenger.  The cruise industry is not geared to be as fluid as the airline industry.  People generally book cruises further in advance and are more reluctant to make last minute changes to cruise itineraries and cruise lines do not cancel cruises nearly at the rate that the airline industry does.  (Equipment failures, weather related issues, crew rest schedules....)

5 minutes ago, LDVinNC said:

Additionally, I do not believe that the refunds would require human interaction with a bank.  I would think a few key-clicks would accomplish a refund.

Wouldn't it require a human to perform the "few key-clicks"?

17 minutes ago, mnocket said:

If Princess had the cash available for refunds, they would be paying them. I think it's obvious (and expected) that they don't have the cash.  The real problem is.....  how are they going to get the cash?  Not from resumed operations.  Even if they can resume operations soon (unlikely) they will undoubtedly operate in the red for the foreseeable future.  No, they would have to opt for one or more rather poor options to raise cash.  Sell bonds at extraordinarily high interest rates; issue a stock offering that dilutes existing shareholders and tanks the stock price; sell assets (ships) at very depressed prices; or ???.  Given this, one cannot ignore the possibility that the best option for the company is to pursue bankruptcy.   If they choose bankruptcy, they can either choose to reorganize and continue operations (which would likely screw shareholders, but may protect existing customer's deposits & FCC) or they could choose to liquidate assets and cease operations (which would benefit secured creditors, but pretty much screw everyone else).   The question of IF refunds are paid may be more important then WHEN.

Hi Guys,

I read it somewhere that Carnival, Inc (parent co of Princess) just raised 6 billions.... so I'd assume they have cash now...

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/04/06/why-carnival-stock-will-probably-never-fully-recov.aspx

7 minutes ago, mfajxc99 said:

Hi Guys,

I read it somewhere that Carnival, Inc (parent co of Princess) just raised 6 billions.... so I'd assume they have cash now...

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/04/06/why-carnival-stock-will-probably-never-fully-recov.aspx

According to CNBC today CCL is burning through 900 million USD a month so that 6 billion is not going to go very far if they keep doing that....