Refund Status for canceled cruises: Retitled after merges

lahore

13 minutes ago, susantx3 said:

In all likelihood most getting a refund will immediately try and book a new cruise.  Head in the Sand approach is not working.  Way past time to start cutting checks.

People with credit hook might book a new cruise, others like me, will wait to see how Princess handles future cruises and how Princess make cruising safe and fun again.  That will be no easy task. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billco said:

I haven't seen any nursing homes or long term facilities ban. Other than visitors.

THIS!!!

Don't want to get off topic, but it makes me so mad that cruiselines seem to be the only ones being "penalised".

• Like 1

15 hours ago, travelhound said:

Yup, they agent on the phone said that they had our paperwork and was able to tell me exactly what we could expect for a refund, including prepaid tips and excursions.  This did give me some confidence that we will probably get a refund and FCC in 60-90 days.

Interesting that they can tell you this but actual refunding of the $$ is being held up.  I had thought a while ago that they had to be processing these but then putting a stop on the actual release of the funds.  And I also thought that after they received the cash infusion that the floodgates would open.  Still waiting patiently for answers - day 38 post cancellation and counting!

7 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Interesting that they can tell you this but actual refunding of the $$ is being held up.  I had thought a while ago that they had to be processing these but then putting a stop on the actual release of the funds.  And I also thought that after they received the cash infusion that the floodgates would open.  Still waiting patiently for answers - day 38 post cancellation and counting!

My (our) agent called Princess a few weeks ago on my account and knew exactly what my refund would be. Though couldn't tell her when. Mine was a little complicated due to several air changes - she wanted to make sure Princess's numbers matched my numbers.

Edited by Coral

2 hours ago, MarkieMark16 said:

Day 36 since the Great Cruise Cancellations of 2020 - To recap, the official cancellation notice came the morning of March 12.  After discussions with the missus, we decided to take the "lower value" cash option and received a "Princess Booking Compensation request receipt" that day .  On March 19, we got an email about the cancellation of our Ocean Medallion, and on the 20th our TA got notice of the cancellation of the flights.  Sometime that week, the cruise disappeared from our personalizer.  

And that's it.  No more communication.  It's been strongly suggested to me (from those who's advice I trust) that I not dispute the charge with the bank until the 60 days are up, so that's what I will do.  Sit..   and...   wait.     I'm lucky enough to not be in a desperate need for money - I certainly don't want to lose the thousands of dollars I have invested in this cruise, but I'm not starving if I don't get it back.  

And I'm thinking Princess/Carnival is holding onto cash because of a future lawsuit problem.  Bloomberg News says over 40 Carnival cruise guests have died from COVID-19 in the past year.  In reading the article one gets the impression that the CDC's Cruise Ship ban came exclusively from their experiences with the Diamond and Grand Princess.  https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2020-carnival-cruise-coronavirus/

I am interested in the part of your post that I have highlighted.  Were there any reasons that were shared with you that you can pass along?  What are the benefits / disadvantages to seeking a credit card refund now?

We were some of the many who were notified by Princess on March 12 of a cancelled cruise and we too submitted our request form for option 2 the same day.  

I recall that at that time I understood that Princess was saying they needed 30 days to issue the refund but, in going back over my emails, I don't see that stated.  Can anyone point me to where they said this?  Or, was it just wishful thinking on my part?  (I doubt that 30 days is something I'd come up with on my own, but I would like to check).

Thanks!

24 minutes ago, Coral said:

My (our) agent called Princess a few weeks ago on my account and knew exactly what my refund would be. Though couldn't tell her when. Mine was a little complicated due to several air changes - she wanted to make sure Princess's numbers matched my numbers.

So, if their systems know exactly what Coral's refund should be, why are they not paying her?  And, of course, the rest of us!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, travelhound said:

Yup, clearly Princess is not responsible for the pandemic.  My mother's nursing home has also experienced many deaths, and nobody is blaming the nursing home.

Actually I have seen a number of articles that are in fact blaming the nursing homes.  Criminal investigations of nursing homes taking place in at .least 3 states

12 minutes ago, LDVinNC said:

So, if their systems know exactly what Coral's refund should be, why are they not paying her?  And, of course, the rest of us!

I really doubt they have the money for refunds.....they probably already spent it....if CCL is burning through approximately 1 Billion USD a month as noted in different business articles then there is probably not much money left to go around....just guessing because they have not even refunded one person after their March cancellation notice....for example, how complicated and how much time can an Inside Cabin on a 7 day cruise cost to refund?

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

.just guessing because they have not even refunded one person after their March cancellation notice....

It sure would be encouraging to hear from ANYONE who HAS been refunded since 3/12.  Our trip was scheduled to begin April 11, so there must be plenty of sailing dates before us.  My plan: 61 days after 3/12, 5/13, I will file a dispute. Someone said it would be business days, but the Princess website says 60 days, not 60 business days, so that is what I am going by.

• Like 1

I just signed on to my AMEX account and noticed My Protest Message at the top of the screen was gone. I can't tell when this happened because the credits are dated on the date I made the charge. However it has to be within the last two days as I was on the account on Wednesday.

It appears the credits were done by Princess and not AMEX.

Hallelujah

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, LDVinNC said:

On a positive note - I had emailed Allianz awhile ago asking for a refund. They had posted that they were doing such due to COVID-19 on cruises that the cruise line cancelled.  I heard nothing for weeks. Today I received an email that my Allianz policy has been refunded fully. It was close to $700 so that is one small step in my refund process.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, weberman said:

I just signed on to my AMEX account and noticed My Protest Message at the top of the screen was gone. I can't tell when this happened because the credits are dated on the date I made the charge. However it has to be within the last two days as I was on the account on Wednesday.

It appears the credits were done by Princess and not AMEX.

Hallelujah

What date was your cruise?

44 minutes ago, Carnevale said:

We were some of the many who were notified by Princess on March 12 of a cancelled cruise and we too submitted our request form for option 2 the same day.  

I recall that at that time I understood that Princess was saying they needed 30 days to issue the refund but, in going back over my emails, I don't see that stated.  Can anyone point me to where they said this?  Or, was it just wishful thinking on my part?  (I doubt that 30 days is something I'd come up with on my own, but I would like to check).

Thanks!

It was originally 30 days and then was moved to 60 days.

I cancelled my May 4, 2020, cruise on March 5, 2020. On that day, I was told the amount I would receive in cash and FCC. On that day, I was told the refund would be made in 10-15 days. The story has since changed to 30 days, 30 BUSINESS days, 30-60 days, and now 60 days from last day of cruise!!! I was told by Chase that I can file a protest after 60 days. Ready to do that.

45 minutes ago, Carnevale said:

I am interested in the part of your post that I have highlighted.  Were there any reasons that were shared with you that you can pass along?  What are the benefits / disadvantages to seeking a credit card refund now?

I waited until after 30 days of my cruise being cancelled and then filed a credit card dispute.

Advantage - MY money is now back in my account (within 24 hours)

Disadvantage - Can't think of any. If the cruise line were to contest it, I have kept all of the detailed communications showing that they cancelled the cruise and therefore did not honor our agreement to provide the service for which I had paid. 

I totally understand that these events were not of Princess' making, however, neither were they of mine and I never agreed to give them an interest free loan of my money for an extended period of time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Coral said:

This is unbelievable.  They have known the amounts for a few weeks and still are not paying them. How can any reputable company do this?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Carnevale said:

Thanks Coral!  Do you remember where they said 30 days?  I'm hoping to find a reference source for that initial promised refund period.

I think they have updated all online documents to now say 60 days.

53 minutes ago, npcl said:

Actually I have seen a number of articles that are in fact blaming the nursing homes.  Criminal investigations of nursing homes taking place in at .least 3 states

Yup, we are in a dial lawyers society, but most of these lawsuits are without merit in a pandemic.  That said, there will be some settlements, but they won't be very significant.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, joe d said:

This is unbelievable.  They have known the amounts for a few weeks and still are not paying them. How can any reputable company do this?

A few years from now when this is all over, I would love to read a book about what happened at cruise line offices during the COVID-19 pandemic. What went into the thinking, the decisions made, what went right and what went wrong. 

Most companies will be doing an analysis after so they can be prepared for the future.

1 minute ago, travelhound said:

Yup, we are in a dial lawyers society, but most of these lawsuits are without merit in a pandemic.  That said, there will be some settlements, but they won't be very significant.

I wonder if Carnival will sue China given some of the reports that the virus may well have escaped from one of their labs and China hid that information.  China holds a lot of valuable assets in the US and other nations that could be subject to a waiver of International Sovereign Immunity.  That will be a very interesting legal question.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Cashing in FF miles for flights has nothing to do with Princess.  Check with your airline.

My airline credited back my miles and airport fees today. WHEW glad i didn't have to try to get a refund from Princess.