Refund Status for canceled cruises: Retitled after merges

lahore

52 minutes ago, travelhound said:

Yup, people on CC tend to think that this forum represents the entire cruise population.  In reality, there are probably only a couple of hundred people who regularly post here.

No one thinks this forum represents the entire cruise population. However, If you fail to keep the people who are willing to post on this board happy, you are going to go out of business. The "repeat cruiser" demographic is your most important customer.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

PrincessLuver, while I usually agree with most everything you say, including many aspects of this refund situation, I'm not sure why you keep saying that they will be insolvent or that they don't have the money or things to that affect.  I'm not exactly sure what you really feel when you say that but they do have about a year's worth of solvency according to their own public statements.  Which makes it all the more infuriating that refunds didn't start in mass at least starting in early April.

Point well taken.....I know CCL has received funds recently but they are also burning through approximately a billion dollars a month and not really generating any revenue......I do not believe they are too big not to fail as a company....I agree it is not the cruise companies fault for what is happening with COVID-19 but something is just not adding up with Princess?  Others seem to be sensing this also on CC.

I know these are not normal times but the Princess product that has usually always been outstanding in the past based on performance and customer service is almost non-existent now.  I am growing more suspicious with the constant excuses and increased timeline for delaying refunds.....I certainly hope I am wrong about the health of them as a company!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, travelhound said:

Yup, people on CC tend to think that this forum represents the entire cruise population.  In reality, there are probably only a couple of hundred people who regularly post here.

My travel agent who easily sells millions with Princess is not seeing any refunds either. She is probably a better indicator than CC and it is not happening yet. Even Princess just posted that they "just started the process of refunds 2 days ago". This speaks volumes.

6 minutes ago, CaribbeanIsland said:

My travel agent who easily sells millions with Princess is not seeing any refunds either. She is probably a better indicator than CC and it is not happening yet. Even Princess just posted that they "just started the process of refunds 2 days ago". This speaks volumes.

Now that is probably a more relevant point.  BTW, I  am also waiting for a refund.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grayce said:

I have cancelled a cruise with Princess before and my credit card was refunded within 2 days. This time, I feel that making everyone wait an extended period of time, is a way for the company to hang onto everyone's money just a little bit longer. 

When you cancelled your cruise in the past, you were in a small percentage of people cancelling cruises. 

Now cruise lines...not just Princess...are having to process tens of thousands cancellations; cancellations caused by either by cruise lines, or passengers opting to cancel. That's puts a tremendous pressure on the companies (ie employees) to process refunds and FCC's' as soon as possible. 

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Boatdrill said:

When you cancelled your cruise in the past, you were in a small percentage of people cancelling cruises. 

Now cruise lines...not just Princess...are having to process tens of thousands cancellations; cancellations caused by either by 

cruise lines, or passengers opting to cancel. That's puts a tremendous pressure on the companies (ie employees) to process refunds and FCC's' as soon as possible. 

And to add to it they have been working from home for a month. I spoke to 3 very helpful reps today. They all did their best to try to answer my questions and I didn’t get disconnected like I did last week. I certainly hope we start hearing more cc members are getting refunds soon I shared this with M   (rep). They understand, had so many issues, they have money, he says. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

Now cruise lines...not just Princess...are having to process tens of thousands cancellations; cancellations caused by either by cruise lines, or passengers opting to cancel. That's puts a tremendous pressure on the companies (ie employees) to process refunds and FCC's' as soon as possible. 

I get that it may take a little longer to process the large number of refunds. I do not believe that it takes 60 days. I believe that Princess is deliberately holding back people's refunds. The fact that they announced they are just starting to process refunds (April 16) supports this.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dog said:

And to add to it they have been working from home for a month. I spoke to 3 very helpful reps today. They all did their best to try to answer my questions and I didn’t get disconnected like I did last week. I certainly hope we start hearing more cc members are getting refunds soon I shared this with M   (rep). They understand, had so many issues, they have money, he says. 

Just saw on Pr Fb info page that 5 have gotten money & FCC refunds

25 minutes ago, dog said:

Just saw on Pr Fb info page that 5 have gotten money & FCC refunds

5 from your cruise?  Or all passengers on 5 different voyages?  Or just 5 people responding to the FB post (who might all have had different cruises)?   

I cancelled my March 14th sailing on March 10th, two days prior to the mass cancellations. I was told by the Princess phone rep that the refundable amount would go back to original form of payment in 7-10 days and the non-refundable would be converted to an FCC within 30 days. Two days later, mass cancellations occurred and I submitted the form immediately for option 1. The form stated that it would take up to 30 days for FCC to appear on accounts but, as far as I recall, didn't specifically mention timeline for refunds. I had hope that the 7-10 days might still be attainable but expected to wait up to 30 days. That 30 days has gone and still nothing - no money back and no FCC. If, indeed, they are being processed in sailing date order and form submission order then I should be one of those at the front of the line. I still have hope that it's coming sooner rather than later but a simple email would be nice - even a generic form letter to say 'Thanks for your patience" would be something.

I also cancelled a Carnival cruise the same day for a March 21st sailing. I have had nothing from Carnival either - opted for full refund from them. It took me almost a month just to get a confirmation email of the cancellation, so Princess is certainly not alone among cruiselines in poor communication and keeping people waiting.

What I HAVE been successful with is getting my premium refunded from Manulife - took exactly 2 days from request to being refunded to my card and it was all done by email. I was also able to get my 2 night hotel stay refunded within 3 days - booked through the big box online agency, not direct through the hotel. This was all done online. So, it seems some businesses are keeping on top of things...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jat1977 said:

5 from your cruise?  Or all passengers on 5 different voyages?  Or just 5 people responding to the FB post (who might all have had different cruises)?   

The post did not have a date on it?  I did read at least 20 comments on Princess FB page where some people are basically begging for their refunds because they have lost their jobs to COVID-19......Princess FB response to them.....crickets.....

38 minutes ago, jat1977 said:

5 different people on different cruises, that I've noticed posted in last 2 days, saying they just got their refunds/FCC from Princess.

Might give some hope.

This is really difficult to go through.

Other then calling Princess, I can't see anything else one can do, but wait.

Edited by dog
  • Like 2

To add to this confusion, I have been reading the TA guide and some of the updated info contradicts some of the original info. I was definitely under the impression that taxes/port fees/refundable air/pre-paid items would go back to original form of payment if you chose option 1 for the FCC. Now there is talk of a "holding account" for some of these items? Has anyone heard of this? @Coral has your TA mentioned it? Here is a screenshot of the example:

image.png.1c4ebab55e8a4fd6f8e016bb32a681f3.png

(sorry it's so small)

14 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

To add to this confusion, I have been reading the TA guide and some of the updated info contradicts some of the original info. I was definitely under the impression that taxes/port fees/refundable air/pre-paid items would go back to original form of payment if you chose option 1 for the FCC. Now there is talk of a "holding account" for some of these items? Has anyone heard of this? @Coral has your TA mentioned it? Here is a screenshot of the example:

image.png.1c4ebab55e8a4fd6f8e016bb32a681f3.png

(sorry it's so small)

Is this something new or is that the original guide?  And does that guide specify if there is a difference between someone who cancelled under the early cancellation offer they put out there 6 days prior to announcing the policies regarding the 60 day pause or someone whose cruise was cancelled by Princess on March 12th?  I was led to believe by materials they released with the "pause" announcement that I could select option 1 or 2 even though I cancelled my cruise two days earlier.  And if my interpretation is correct then I should be getting all of my money refunded as should anyone who elected option 2.

Edited by azbirdmom

We cancelled our March 10 sailing on March 6 and were told 10 business days for FCC and refunds of taxes, fees and any on- board purchases. The refund of on-board purchases (excursions and service charges) appeared on our credit card just a few days after the cancellation. Our FCC (for cruise and ez air fares) appeared in our Captain Circle accounts about 2 weeks after, then disappeared from the accounts to re-appear again on April 1st. In early April we did not yet have our refund for taxes and fees so we contacted our credit card company, provided them with the documents showing the amounts received by Princess for the cruise and air along with the cancellation notices. It took just a few days for the credit card company to refund us the amount for taxes and fees.  

7 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Is this something new or is that the original guide?  And does that guide specify if there is a difference between someone who cancelled under the early cancellation offer they put out there 6 days prior to announcing the policies regarding the 60 day pause or someone whose cruise was cancelled by Princess on March 12th?  I was led to believe by materials they released with the "pause" announcement that I could select option 1 or 2 even though I cancelled my cruise two days earlier.  And if my interpretation is correct then I should be getting all of my money refunded as should anyone who elected option 2.

That's what is confusing - this was just updated this week and has a section for the original 60 day pause and then a section for the second pause. This chart is at the end as an example of where the money goes and doesn't break down if this is for all cancellations or just those under the second pause....I plan on calling on Monday just to check, but wondered if anyone else had heard of this first?

27 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I spoke with Princess rep. yesterday here is what she said after talking to a supervisor during the call.  I chose Option 1 for our cancelled by Princess May 4, cruise, and had EZ air questions.   Right or wrong, this is what she said: 

When it is finally processed:

We will get 150% of cruise fare only in the FCC fund.

The flexible EZ air will be hooked on my account within a holding account,
which will go toward any air that we have booked on any future cruises till depleted.

The Government Fees ( Port Fees) will also be in a holding account for future Gov. Fees. 

We will not have anything refunded to credit card.

This does not apply to us but:  If you paid prepaid gratuities those would sit in a holding account also.
Excursions, water, or drink plans or dinners, would be paid back to credit card. 

Edited by ROWSE
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ROWSE said:

I spoke with Princess rep. yesterday here is what she said after talking to a supervisor during the call.  I chose Option 1 for our cancelled by Princess May 4, cruise, and had EZ air questions.   Right or wrong, this is what she said: 

When it is finally processed:

We will get 150% of cruise fare only in the FCC fund.

The flexible EZ air will be hooked on my account within a holding account,
which will go toward any air that we have booked on any future cruises till depleted.

The Government Fees ( Port Fees) will also be in a holding account for future Gov. Fees. 

We will not have anything refunded to credit card.

This does not apply to us but:  If you paid prepaid gratuities those would sit in a holding account also.
Excursions, water, or drink plans or dinners, would be paid back to credit card. 

I

Thanks - that seems to be in line with the chart I posted, but definitely wasn't the original terms of the first 60 day pause. I am waiting on a refund of just under $2,000 under the original terms but by the new terms, the refund amount would only actually be for my shore excursions (around $500). For me, it's not a huge deal if this is how it's done but again communication would be nice! If I was needing that $2000 and only got $500 I would not be happy!

• Like 1

Wording from ORIGINAL 60 day pause notice:

3. If my client takes the Future Cruise Credit, is anything refunded to them? Payments for Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses, Princess Vacation Protection (US and Canada only) and items purchased pre-cruise separate to the cruise fare - such as shore excursions - will be refunded back to the credit card used to make the purchase.

• Like 1

For another set of POV , opinions, and comments, pop over to the Princess cruises FB page. Princess pops on from time to time to comment but some there have received refunds and/or FCC. Seems a more 'balanced' set of views expressed with many expressing compassion and patience.

Not saying anything other than its good to hear from others rather than just here on CC.

Yes, I'm still waiting for my refund.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

3. If my client takes the Future Cruise Credit, is anything refunded to them? Payments for Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses, Princess Vacation Protection (US and Canada only) and items purchased pre-cruise separate to the cruise fare - such as shore excursions - will be refunded back to the credit card used to make the purchase.

Looks like Princess is forgetting this answer for anyone who opted for FCC and ‘holding’ those funds for future use based on the chart you posted.  Maybe they figure since people opted for FCC they plan on cruising soon and will be able to use up the held funds?  Or maybe it will save them Duplicated credit card processing fees on funds that would otherwise be refunded and then re-purchased? 

Interesting development; thank you for posting.

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

Yes, this applied to me. My taxes, fees, excursions, water, dining were refunded to my credit card on March 6 th, the day I cancelled my March 7 th cruise. I would not of liked the change you posted, at all First I’ve heard of it. 

2 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

No - I haven't heard of this. I chose Option 2.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Grayce said:

I get that it may take a little longer to process the large number of refunds. I do not believe that it takes 60 days. I believe that Princess is deliberately holding back people's refunds. The fact that they announced they are just starting to process refunds (April 16) supports this.  

In all of the updates I've read from two major cruise lines (Princess being one of them),  they all say that the refund "may take up to 60 days".  The key words are "may" and "up to".  Those words mean the refunds might be issued before the 60 day time frame ends. 

Of course you are free to accuse Princess of withholding refunds to their customers. But until they pass the 60 day mark without a payout, your claim is only speculation, and not based on facts.        

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Grayce said:

Even if what you said is true, what are you going to do about it? I suspect nothing other than to line up and wait for your turn like everyone else.

• Like 1