Refund Status for canceled cruises: Retitled after merges

7 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Is this something new or is that the original guide?  And does that guide specify if there is a difference between someone who cancelled under the early cancellation offer they put out there 6 days prior to announcing the policies regarding the 60 day pause or someone whose cruise was cancelled by Princess on March 12th?  I was led to believe by materials they released with the "pause" announcement that I could select option 1 or 2 even though I cancelled my cruise two days earlier.  And if my interpretation is correct then I should be getting all of my money refunded as should anyone who elected option 2.

That's what is confusing - this was just updated this week and has a section for the original 60 day pause and then a section for the second pause. This chart is at the end as an example of where the money goes and doesn't break down if this is for all cancellations or just those under the second pause....I plan on calling on Monday just to check, but wondered if anyone else had heard of this first?

27 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

To add to this confusion, I have been reading the TA guide and some of the updated info contradicts some of the original info. I was definitely under the impression that taxes/port fees/refundable air/pre-paid items would go back to original form of payment if you chose option 1 for the FCC. Now there is talk of a "holding account" for some of these items? Has anyone heard of this? @Coral has your TA mentioned it? Here is a screenshot of the example:

I spoke with Princess rep. yesterday here is what she said after talking to a supervisor during the call.  I chose Option 1 for our cancelled by Princess May 4, cruise, and had EZ air questions.   Right or wrong, this is what she said: 

When it is finally processed:

We will get 150% of cruise fare only in the FCC fund.

The flexible EZ air will be hooked on my account within a holding account,
which will go toward any air that we have booked on any future cruises till depleted.

The Government Fees ( Port Fees) will also be in a holding account for future Gov. Fees. 

We will not have anything refunded to credit card.

This does not apply to us but:  If you paid prepaid gratuities those would sit in a holding account also.
Excursions, water, or drink plans or dinners, would be paid back to credit card. 

Edited by ROWSE
1 minute ago, ROWSE said:

I spoke with Princess rep. yesterday here is what she said after talking to a supervisor during the call.  I chose Option 1 for our cancelled by Princess May 4, cruise, and had EZ air questions.   Right or wrong, this is what she said: 

When it is finally processed:

We will get 150% of cruise fare only in the FCC fund.

The flexible EZ air will be hooked on my account within a holding account,
which will go toward any air that we have booked on any future cruises till depleted.

The Government Fees ( Port Fees) will also be in a holding account for future Gov. Fees. 

We will not have anything refunded to credit card.

This does not apply to us but:  If you paid prepaid gratuities those would sit in a holding account also.
Excursions, water, or drink plans or dinners, would be paid back to credit card. 

I

Thanks - that seems to be in line with the chart I posted, but definitely wasn't the original terms of the first 60 day pause. I am waiting on a refund of just under $2,000 under the original terms but by the new terms, the refund amount would only actually be for my shore excursions (around $500). For me, it's not a huge deal if this is how it's done but again communication would be nice! If I was needing that $2000 and only got $500 I would not be happy!

Wording from ORIGINAL 60 day pause notice:

3. If my client takes the Future Cruise Credit, is anything refunded to them? Payments for Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses, Princess Vacation Protection (US and Canada only) and items purchased pre-cruise separate to the cruise fare - such as shore excursions - will be refunded back to the credit card used to make the purchase.

For another set of POV , opinions, and comments, pop over to the Princess cruises FB page. Princess pops on from time to time to comment but some there have received refunds and/or FCC. Seems a more 'balanced' set of views expressed with many expressing compassion and patience.

Not saying anything other than its good to hear from others rather than just here on CC.

Yes, I'm still waiting for my refund.

38 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

3. If my client takes the Future Cruise Credit, is anything refunded to them? Payments for Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses, Princess Vacation Protection (US and Canada only) and items purchased pre-cruise separate to the cruise fare - such as shore excursions - will be refunded back to the credit card used to make the purchase.

Looks like Princess is forgetting this answer for anyone who opted for FCC and ‘holding’ those funds for future use based on the chart you posted.  Maybe they figure since people opted for FCC they plan on cruising soon and will be able to use up the held funds?  Or maybe it will save them Duplicated credit card processing fees on funds that would otherwise be refunded and then re-purchased? 

Interesting development; thank you for posting.

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

Yes, this applied to me. My taxes, fees, excursions, water, dining were refunded to my credit card on March 6 th, the day I cancelled my March 7 th cruise. I would not of liked the change you posted, at all First I’ve heard of it. 

2 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

To add to this confusion, I have been reading the TA guide and some of the updated info contradicts some of the original info. I was definitely under the impression that taxes/port fees/refundable air/pre-paid items would go back to original form of payment if you chose option 1 for the FCC. Now there is talk of a "holding account" for some of these items? Has anyone heard of this? @Coral has your TA mentioned it? Here is a screenshot of the example:

No - I haven't heard of this. I chose Option 2.

Edited by Coral
4 hours ago, Grayce said:

I get that it may take a little longer to process the large number of refunds. I do not believe that it takes 60 days. I believe that Princess is deliberately holding back people's refunds. The fact that they announced they are just starting to process refunds (April 16) supports this.  

In all of the updates I've read from two major cruise lines (Princess being one of them),  they all say that the refund "may take up to 60 days".  The key words are "may" and "up to".  Those words mean the refunds might be issued before the 60 day time frame ends. 

Of course you are free to accuse Princess of withholding refunds to their customers. But until they pass the 60 day mark without a payout, your claim is only speculation, and not based on facts.        

Edited by Boatdrill
4 hours ago, Grayce said:

I get that it may take a little longer to process the large number of refunds. I do not believe that it takes 60 days. I believe that Princess is deliberately holding back people's refunds. The fact that they announced they are just starting to process refunds (April 16) supports this.  

Even if what you said is true, what are you going to do about it? I suspect nothing other than to line up and wait for your turn like everyone else.

1 minute ago, sfaaa said:

Even if what you said is true, what are you going to do about it? I suspect nothing other than to line up and wait for your turn like everyone else.

Exactly, all I can do is wait. But as I stated in my original post, the more Princess delays refunds, the more their reputation suffers. How Princess handles my refund, will affect my opinion of Princess and whether or not I take another cruise with them. 

22 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I hope you are aware that this fine print specifically says that the Future Cruise Credits may take up to 30 days.  It does not apply to refunds, only FCCs.  I know that you were looking for a document that said a 30 day refund period, but I don't think this is it.  Hope this helps.

That's interesting.  I'm still waiting for my FCC's and it's been over 30 days.  

52 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

In all of the updates I've read from two major cruise lines (Princess being one of them),  they all say that the refund "may take up to 60 days".  The key words are "may" and "up to".  Those words mean the refunds might be issued before the 60 day time frame ends. 

Of course you are free to accuse Princess of withholding refunds to their customers. But until they pass the 60 day mark without a payout, your claim is only speculation, and not based on facts.        

When we cancelled on March 6 the policy was 10 business days (it was in the email announcing the new cancellation policy on March 5th and confirmed by the Princess rep we spoke to). When we had not received our refund after 3 weeks we phoned and at that time they said "up to 30 days". Then it became "up to 60 days". That is why we contacted our credit card company and we got the refund Princess owed us when they intervened.

Everyone has to do what is right for them.  With so many losing their jobs since event, and with unemployment benefits being very delayed-- I say dispute the credit card if you need money.  Princess keeps "pushing out" their refund times and it could be as long as 90 days- a long time for someone not getting a paycheck.

I am also waiting on a refund, although thankfully, it was just a deposit, so only about $700. Unfortunately, since I booked private excursions, I am waiting on those. One company, which previously stated a refund of cancelled before 30 days is not longer refunding any money, just a credit. Another hasn't responded to any emails. A third agreed to a refund, but I was informed it was 30-60 working days. Since all were booked over 60 days ago, I'm not optimistic for my credit card doing anything. In fact, Chase has reduced hours, just when you need more access to staff! Again, it's another agency who will likely lose money trying delaying tactics.  So it's not just cruise lines. 

I disputed a private excursion paid for on chase last october for this sept cruise.. got the money in two  days. Go online and dispute it. You do not need to talk to anyone. Dont fool around with these excursion companies that do not respond to emails. 

24 minutes ago, PandaBear62 said:

I am also waiting on a refund, although thankfully, it was just a deposit, so only about $700. Unfortunately, since I booked private excursions, I am waiting on those. One company, which previously stated a refund of cancelled before 30 days is not longer refunding any money, just a credit. Another hasn't responded to any emails. A third agreed to a refund, but I was informed it was 30-60 working days. Since all were booked over 60 days ago, I'm not optimistic for my credit card doing anything. In fact, Chase has reduced hours, just when you need more access to staff! Again, it's another agency who will likely lose money trying delaying tactics.  So it's not just cruise lines. 

If you can show the companies stated policy at the time you booked (for example cash refunds) and now they are only offering credit, then you can still contest the charge, using the date you were notified of the change in policy as the triggering action.

Many time if a company declares BK the time period will start from the day of BK, not from the original purchase date.

At least that is what I discovered the two time I had to contest a charge.  One was the BK of a company for a trip booked a year in advance.  Another was when a company changed booking conditions and refused to honor the original.  Both were investigated and the credit card company found in my favor.  Both were on Chase cards.

That said I have only contested charges when companies clearly were either not going to refund or were unable to refund (BK).  Not while waiting for a refund.

Edited by npcl
55 minutes ago, Coral said:

1300 comments and 5 refunds..... 

are you referring to 5 refunds in cruise critic community? 
Sorry I do not understand?  

Best move is to go through your travel agent.

It is very sad to watch so much misery being caused over this. I hope you get your refund soon 

3 minutes ago, dog said:

are you referring to 5 refunds in cruise critic community? 
Sorry I do not understand?  

Best move is to go through your travel agent.

It is very sad to watch so much misery being caused over this. I hope you get your refund soon 

I meant on FB.

My TA says "everyone is waiting". She has no control over this and I understand.

Thanks 🙂 

Edited by Coral
10 minutes ago, Coral said:

I meant on FB.

My TA says "everyone is waiting". She has no control over this and I understand.

Thanks 🙂 

Ok,  fb could be more. I briefly scrolled through 2 days comments. My point is there might be some movement and hope. Was told by rep they have money/ got money to keep them going for year.  I do not like them keeping the taxes etc now nor in my case the FCD going to FCC 

Edited by dog
13 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

Respectfully show me the proof where Princess is issuing refunds.....obviously you are not owed $$$$ money.....cheerleading for Princess is not going to change the fact that they are not issuing SIMPLE refunds.....it is not rocket science if they are such an incredible business organization as you boost then this should have been a standard routine business transaction for them to deal with.....other travel providers we are dealing with have had no problem issuing refunds......I doubt they are going to be around in the future anyway which is probably the real reason they lack funds for refunds......

Not so for me, had USA internal flights booked with one airline that cancelled some of my flights without notifying me, wouldnt answer emails I sent, couldnt get through to them on the phone, so I did a charge back on my credit card.  Now I have just received an email saying sorry for the late notice but we have cancelled your flights and see you already have a credit, so thankyou for flying with us and hope to see you again soon.  Also have 1 hotel in Santa Monica who wont answer many emails that I send cancelling my booking.  Will just have to hope that they dont charge me or I will have to do another charge back on credit card.

12 hours ago, PandaBear62 said:

Chase has also done a poor job, they are impossible to speak with these days.