Refund Status for canceled cruises: Retitled after merges

Princess just looks like they are just stalling for time.  Hopefully they will give everyone their refunds but I have some serious doubts that they have intentions of ever giving our money back to us.   Trust is a hard thing to earn back.

12 hours ago, dog said:

Best move is to go through your travel agent.

My travel agent just says words to the effect of "don't worry, Princess is part of Carnival, they have plenty of money and you will get your refund".

This TA is a big online one who must do a lot of business with Princess since they give very large OBC's.

My point is, most TA's cannot do a thing for us.  It is every man/woman for themself!

1 hour ago, LDVinNC said:

My travel agent just says words to the effect of "don't worry, Princess is part of Carnival, they have plenty of money and you will get your refund".

This TA is a big online one who must do a lot of business with Princess since they give very large OBC's.

My point is, most TA's cannot do a thing for us.  It is every man/woman for themself!

Sorry for you. Wish you all the best. 

17 hours ago, ringers0815 said:

Try disputing the charge with your credit card company. It worked for us (even tough we had paid for the cruise more than 6 months ago). We got our refund that way.

Credit card banks disputed credits are “conditional credits” and can be reversed if after their investigation they favor the side of the Vendor.  So I wouldn’t spend the money...because it may be charged back to the cc holder.  
Good luck

On 4/18/2020 at 9:22 AM, PrincessLuver said:

Wonderful opinion but the fact is that no one has received a refund since their March 12, 2020 promises after their initial cancellation of cruises.  

Princess is not a victim but they are making victims out of their loyal customers by posting VAGUE timelines and yet taking NO apparent action of any kind regarding refunds.  They seem to have time to wipe clean people's cruise bookings in their cruise personalizers but that is it.  

The more this goes on with them the less chance they will have of keeping an enthusiastic customer base like they had before and will receive a lot of word of mouth negative advertising for free.

Customers who are owed money have a right to be upset and concerned with Princess and do not need schooling about being patient even though everyone has a right to an opinion regarding this matter with Princess.  

Princess needs to be honest, transparent and start refunding canceled booking fares to prove they are not running a con game.

On 4/17 I posted that I received my refund on 4/16.

Edited by weberman
14 minutes ago, weberman said:

You did mention this - you said your cruise was 9/4/20 on the Sky Princess.

Was that April 9th or September 4th? You said it was from Copenhagen so I assume September 4th. 

Had you made final payment? Did the cruise lines cancel your cruise? Any more info  you can provide would be helpful.

I just looked at your history and it sounds like you contested your deposit with the credit card on not refunding quick enough? If you are just refunded the deposit, that is different than an entire cruise fare.

Edited by Coral
16 minutes ago, Coral said:

I just looked at your history and it sounds like you contested your deposit with the credit card on not refunding quick enough? If you are just refunded the deposit, that is different than an entire cruise fare.

He also said that "it appears" the credit came from Princess.  I would think - not an expert on this by any means - that there would be a line item on his account specifying a refund from Princess and the conditional credit would no longer show.

Not trying to be argumentative.  Just trying to find out if Princess is really doing refunds.

4 minutes ago, LDVinNC said:

He also said that "it appears" the credit came from Princess.  I would think - not an expert on this by any means - that there would be a line item on his account specifying a refund from Princess and the conditional credit would no longer show.

Not trying to be argumentative.  Just trying to find out if Princess is really doing refunds.

Regardless, if it is a deposit from a September sailing, I don't consider that a refund from a cancelled sailing. 

I think the 2 are going to be handled entirely different.

---------

It appears to be a September sailing which the cruise has not been cancelled. 

Edited by Coral
On 4/18/2020 at 7:02 AM, Coral said:

I did get a refund from Allianz (travel insurance). 

Hi coral, just curious, was their separate policy?   Not though Princess?  You  Usually  recommend a separate policy,   Is the refund for the canceled cruise or did you purchase an annual policy?  

Just asking as I purchase a separate annual  policy, with  now 2 canceled cruises.  Wondering if any hope of some refund there.  

8 minutes ago, milolii said:

Hi coral, just curious, was their separate policy?   Not though Princess?  You  Usually  recommend a separate policy,   Is the refund for the canceled cruise or did you purchase an annual policy?  

Just asking as I purchase a separate annual  policy, with  now 2 canceled cruises.  Wondering if any hope of some refund there.  

It is a policy I purchased for just this trip (Allianz). I purchased this through my travel agent.

This is on their website:

PLAN REFUND INFORMATION

Customers may change their plan’s effective dates to cover a new or rescheduled trip.  Alternatively, for a temporary period, we are offering refunds for the cost of your travel protection plan to customers who wish to cancel their travel protection plan if the customer’s travel supplier canceled the customer’s trip due to COVID-19, so long as no payable claim has been filed under the plan.  Please call us at the number listed on your plan and we will be happy to assist you.

----------------------------------------

My agent had said she would deal with it. Then told me to contact them. I called them and they gave me an email address to send information about the cancelled cruise. I emailed them the info they wanted. Two weeks later, I received an email saying my request was approved and my refund was issued.

After I told my agent that I had emailed them, she then said Allianz had changed their policy and now the agent had to send it in. I was confused but since I spoke with them and they told me to send the info in, I figured I would wait and see.

At first I thought my email went into a black hole but I did get a refund.

Edited by Coral
6 hours ago, springfire said:

Chase has also done a poor job, they are impossible to speak with these days.

I have received an email from Chase and have also seen a notice on their website and app about extremely long wait times to speak to someone.  They are slammed with calls just like everyone else which is why they recommend doing as much as possible on line.  If I wanted to, I could dispute the charge to Princess that I made on February 4th (that Princess has partially refunded) via their app or website.  I'm not going to do that as I will wait the 60 business days but if others have credit cards issued through Chase and feel the need to dispute, try to do it on line.

Edited by azbirdmom
1 hour ago, Lyndonn said:

Credit card banks disputed credits are “conditional credits” and can be reversed if after their investigation they favor the side of the Vendor.  So I wouldn’t spend the money...because it may be charged back to the cc holder.  
Good luck

Yes they are conditional as long as the dispute is not resolved. They first suspended the disputed charge then they reversed the charge once they received the supporting documents from us (ie the total fare paid and the notice of cancellation) and presumably contacted Princess with that info. They then informed us they had resolved the dispute in our favour. 

24 minutes ago, ringers0815 said:

Yes they are conditional as long as the dispute is not resolved. They first suspended the disputed charge then they reversed the charge once they received the supporting documents from us (ie the total fare paid and the notice of cancellation) and presumably contacted Princess with that info. They then informed us they had resolved the dispute in our favour. 

Yes, similar situation for me with Amex-dispute over a deposit.

Got a phone call from Amex and a letter saying matter was resolved, in my favor.

All credit cards do not have same conditions for dispute.

1 hour ago, Coral said:

Regardless, if it is a deposit from a September sailing, I don't consider that a refund from a cancelled sailing. 

Agreed.  Whole different ball game.

1 hour ago, Coral said:

It is a policy I purchased for just this trip (Allianz). I purchased this through my travel agent.

PLAN REFUND INFORMATION

Customers may change their plan’s effective dates to cover a new or rescheduled trip.  Alternatively, for a temporary period, we are offering refunds for the cost of your travel protection plan to customers who wish to cancel their travel protection plan if the customer’s travel supplier canceled the customer’s trip due to COVID-19, so long as no payable claim has been filed under the plan.  Please call us at the number listed on your plan and we will be happy to assist you.

My agent had said she would deal with it. Then told me to contact them. I called them and they gave me an email address to send information about the cancelled cruise. I emailed them the info they wanted. Two weeks later, I received an email saying my request was approved and my refund was issued.

After I told my agent that I had emailed them, she then said Allianz had changed their policy and now the agent had to send it in. I was confused but since I spoke with them and they told me to send the info in, I figured I would wait and see.

Thanks you  very much  

2 hours ago, weberman said:

Glad you got your deposit back. Hope. Others start receiving their refunds for cancelled cruise soon. Hard to wait. 

3 hours ago, Lyndonn said:

Good luck

It doesn’t seem to me as if Princess would have a very good argument to dispute owing the chargebacks.  Is “we’re going to pay in 60 days” a valid argument for a reversal of charges?

4 hours ago, Coral said:

PLAN REFUND INFORMATION

Wow,  Carol, Thanks for the information!!!!  Now I do not know if it is too late for me to call Allianz tomorrow about the refund, my TA did not say a thing about this (we spoke about this when Princess cancelled the cruises) 😡

Who is your TA?  I want to fire mine!!!!!😠

Janet at Houston, Texas

Edited by mfajxc99
39 minutes ago, mfajxc99 said:

Wow,  Carol, Thanks for the information!!!!  Now I do not know if it is too late for me to call Allianz tomorrow about the refund, my TA did not say a thing about this (we spoke about this when Princess cancelled the cruises) 😡

Who is your TA?  I want to fire mine!!!!!😠

Janet at Houston, Texas

I think agents are probably going crazy right now.

This is the email address they told me to use: salessupport@allianzassistance.com  

I basically sent them the cruise confirmation I had received from Princess (they asked for one that showed cancellation but I didn't have that) and a PDF from the Princess website that the cruises during this time period were "paused". I also included my Policy number.

I don't think it is too late to get a refund. When I first spoke to them, I told them I didn't have a cancellation form from Princess and asked if this was a short time frame and they said no. The info I copied from their website was from today so it is still current.

Worst case scenario - Allianz will transfer the coverage/money to another vacation over the next 2 years or something like that. So that is another option.

I hope this helps!

Edited by Coral

I also purchased additional medical insurance above and beyond what we had with Princess.   I did this on my own not through a travel agent.   I also went on the Allianz website and saw they were doing a refund as long as there were no claims against the insurance.   Sent them an email with all the information.   It took a bit longer to get the refund then 10 business days but I did receive a refund.    Might have taken 13 business days.   Very happy with the refund.  

I don't see a way to dispute a charge on the Chase web site. I agree that trying to reach them by phone is almost impossible at this time!,  Tgere is a Chase bank open near my home and so I may stop in to see if they can help. They actually called me last week to remind me that they are open

5 hours ago, Coral said:

I think agents are probably going crazy right now.

This is the email address they told me to use: salessupport@allianzassistance.com  

I basically sent them the cruise confirmation I had received from Princess (they asked for one that showed cancellation but I didn't have that) and a PDF from the Princess website that the cruises during this time period were "paused". I also included my Policy number.

I don't think it is too late to get a refund. When I first spoke to them, I told them I didn't have a cancellation form from Princess and asked if this was a short time frame and they said no. The info I copied from their website was from today so it is still current.

Worst case scenario - Allianz will transfer the coverage/money to another vacation over the next 2 years or something like that. So that is another option.

I hope this helps!

Dear Carol,

Thanks so much, I will call them tomorrow.  

Janet

5 hours ago, riffatsea said:

I don't see a way to dispute a charge on the Chase web site. I agree that trying to reach them by phone is almost impossible at this time!,  Tgere is a Chase bank open near my home and so I may stop in to see if they can help. They actually called me last week to remind me that they are open

Try starting here

https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/dispute

If your dispute is related to travel, we recommend that you start with your travel provider because many airlines and hotels are being flexible about impacted areas. If your trip has been cancelled and your travel provider has not correctly applied their change/cancellation policy, you can submit a billing dispute online

Edited by npcl
6 hours ago, riffatsea said:

It’s very easy. Log in to your account and go to statements. Find the month of the charge. Just click on the Princess charge and click dispute charge. It will ask you a couple questions and the n submit it. I had my credit in 2 days.

The status shows merchant contacted waiting on response, that took a couple days. 

B125A05C-93E4-4CD0-A0CD-0D3A432622DE.png

Edited by WNcruiser

Our April 4th sailing on the Ruby Princess was cancelled.  We were already on land in Australia - more on that below.  As soon as Princess offered their "deal" on refunds I applied.  That was over a month ago.  Not getting a good warm fuzzy feeling, last week I sent an email inquiry to the Captain's Club on the timeline for refunds.  I received a phone call yesterday and the Princess agent said the refunds were being processed in order of sailing date and were expected to take another 30-60 days.

I  then started a dispute with my credit card company.  I figured I'd let the credit card company and Princess slug it out.

Personally, I think they are stalling.

Australia - because of the cancelled Ruby Princess cruise, we were essentially stuck in Australia.  After the cruise was cancelled, we booked flights home from Sydney on April 4 since that was when our land travels were set to terminate.  As conditions in Australia changed and the states started to close their borders, we revised our land travels several times and ended up rebooking several legs of our trip in order to get to Sydney earlier than planned and catch the one daily flight from there to the US.  Even with the rebookings and disruptions to our schedule, we never suffered a loss that would be compensable by our travel insurance.  Why?  As we cancelled, each company stepped up and issued refunds or vouchers for future travel without question and almost immediately.  Those included:

Great Souther Railway - vouchers for the full cost of the trip on The Indian Pacific even though we were able to complete one leg.

Viator - immediate refunds on several tours in Perth, Adelaide, and Sydney

Murray River Cruise - immediate refund

Hawaiian Airlines  -  speedy refund

American Airlines - voucher for balance of rebooked flights.

Hilton Grand Vacations Club - immediate restoration of points and fees for cancelled booking

So, why is Princess taking so long?