Jump to content

Refund Status for canceled cruises: Retitled after merges


lahore
 Share

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, LDVinNC said:

Impressed by all the other providers who provided quick refunds.

 

Not impressed by Princess.

 

We were so impressed with the vendors that as soon as there is a wordlwide vaccine we will return to Australia and rebook with them.  Vouchers are not as good as a full refund during uncertain times like these, but everyone I dealt with was wonderful and did what they could.  

 

A smile, even over the phone, goes a long way - along with the question I always fall back on - "What can you do for me?"

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

 

We were so impressed with the vendors that as soon as there is a wordlwide vaccine we will return to Australia and rebook with them.  Vouchers are not as good as a full refund during uncertain times like these, but everyone I dealt with was wonderful and did what they could.  

 

A smile, even over the phone, goes a long way - along with the question I always fall back on - "What can you do for me?"

 

This has been our experience too with other travel venders but somehow Princess is just not up to the task with their continual excuses and delayed time lines......Love Boat = No Refund Boat!

 

 It's a shame but they have lost our goodwill and trust and probably any future business too at this point....

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks npcl Cool Cruiser....I filed a dispute w Chase over our cancelled cruise today.  Thanks too, WN Cruiser - info here helped get it done.

 

 

  •  
Edited by Pzazzz
Missed something
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

 

This has been our experience too with other travel venders but somehow Princess is just not up to the task with their continual excuses and delayed time lines......Love Boat = No Refund Boat!

 

 It's a shame but they have lost our goodwill and trust and probably any future business too at this point....

I see two camps here.. those willing to be patient and those throwing in the towel and either say ‘never again’ or ‘probably never again’ as they feel Princess is too slow or downright delaying paying money refunds.

 

i invite you to pop over to read a few other cruise line boards here in CC .  I realize only a very few ,maybe 5% of all cruisers, are here on CC.
But I cannot see where other cruise lines are fairing any better than Princess. I read through Royal Caribbean and Celebrity to compare other mass market lines NOT in CCL. 

I plan to take Princess , and Jan Swartz,   at their word and give Princess the chance to make it right.

 

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Coral said:

I think agents are probably going crazy right now.

 

This is the email address they told me to use: salessupport@allianzassistance.com  

 

I basically sent them the cruise confirmation I had received from Princess (they asked for one that showed cancellation but I didn't have that) and a PDF from the Princess website that the cruises during this time period were "paused". I also included my Policy number.

 

I don't think it is too late to get a refund. When I first spoke to them, I told them I didn't have a cancellation form from Princess and asked if this was a short time frame and they said no. The info I copied from their website was from today so it is still current.

 

Worst case scenario - Allianz will transfer the coverage/money to another vacation over the next 2 years or something like that. So that is another option.

 

I hope this helps!

Dear Carol,

 

I've just called the Allianz and they were extremely nice, and yes, I can still send in refund request and I have done it.   Thank you again for being so resourceful and helpful  😘

 

 

Janet at Houston

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, remydiva said:

I see two camps here.. those willing to be patient and those throwing in the towel and either say ‘never again’ or ‘probably never again’ as they feel Princess is too slow or downright delaying paying money refunds.

 

i invite you to pop over to read a few other cruise line boards here in CC .  I realize only a very few ,maybe 5% of all cruisers, are here on CC.
But I cannot see where other cruise lines are fairing any better than Princess. I read through Royal Caribbean and Celebrity to compare other mass market lines NOT in CCL. 

I plan to take Princess , and Jan Swartz,   at their word and give Princess the chance to make it right.

 

 

I've considered all of that very carefully a couple of weeks back.  I don't know what the finances are of the competitors, but we know CCL by their own admission will last around a year.  So what is their attitude exactly?  That enough cruisers in the entire industry will play musical chairs and we'll get others even if we lose many of our very loyal customers?  That seems stupid on its face when they can keep their loyal customers and possibly garner more in the future.  The point for me has always been, if they have the money, what are they waiting on?  If they can be transparent about that, then I'm sure many would be sympathetic and might understand.  But as it stands, it seems like virtually no refunds (5+ weeks after the mass cancellations) have occurred with no good communication on why.  HORRIBLE management. 

 

Bottom line, if you're going to pay back the money at all, why be stupid and piss so many loyal customers off in the process?  Based on what they've stated and done thus far, the only way their behavior makes sense is if they didn't pay people back, which would be even a bigger problem.  This is what I don't get.  Once again, if you're going to pay back the money at all, why be stupid and piss so many loyal customers off in the process??? 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

 

I've considered all of that very carefully a couple of weeks back.  I don't know what the finances are of the competitors, but we know CCL by their own admission will last around a year.  So what is their attitude exactly?  That enough cruisers in the entire industry will play musical chairs and we'll get others even if we lose many of our very loyal customers?  That seems stupid on its face when they can keep their loyal customers and possibly garner more in the future.  The point for me has always been, if they have the money, what are they waiting on?  If they can be transparent about that, then I'm sure many would be sympathetic and might understand.  But as it stands, it seems like virtually no refunds (5+ weeks after the mass cancellations) have occurred with no good communication on why.  HORRIBLE management. 

 

Bottom line, if you're going to pay back the money at all, why be stupid and piss so many loyal customers off in the process?  Based on what they've stated and done thus far, the only way their behavior makes sense is if they didn't pay people back, which would be even a bigger problem.  This is what I don't get.  Once again, if you're going to pay back the money at all, why be stupid and piss so many loyal customers off in the process??? 

Absolutely agree with you....there is no reason for such poor communication on what in the world is taking so long for refunds.  It's not just CCL, Celebrity is much the same...no real communication.   I'm willing to wait but tell me why I have to wait...and the excuse "we have so many to deal with is getting old"  It takes a couple of key strokes to cancel a cruise and issue a refund.....so that is a BS excuse....   

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, remydiva said:

I see two camps here.. those willing to be patient and those throwing in the towel and either say ‘never again’ or ‘probably never again’ as they feel Princess is too slow or downright delaying paying money refunds.

 

i invite you to pop over to read a few other cruise line boards here in CC .  I realize only a very few ,maybe 5% of all cruisers, are here on CC.
But I cannot see where other cruise lines are fairing any better than Princess. I read through Royal Caribbean and Celebrity to compare other mass market lines NOT in CCL. 

I plan to take Princess , and Jan Swartz,   at their word and give Princess the chance to make it right.

 

I agree - in terms of cruiselines, it is definitely not just Princess that is taking so long to refund. I am waiting on refunds from both Carnival and NCL as well and both have been silent. For the other two lines, I opted for a full refund and for Princess I opted for FCC with refund of port fees/grats/shorex/refundable air. I did this because I knew I would 100% be sailing with Princess again and even had the replacement cruise picked out ready to book. However, I won't rebook it until I see some of what they owe me come back my way.

 

I have no doubt that the refunds, both in their complexity (it's not, after all, just a straight full refund) and volume will take as long as they say. I don't believe it's just a push of a button. Since this mess started, I have been helping out the company I worked with for 13 years - it's a performing arts company and they had to cancel their shows due to the virus. They offered ticket holders either a full refund, a switch to a future performance (like an FCC?) or the option to donate the money spent on the ticket to the company. Because there were options, the refunds needed to be processed manually, one by one. For this company (and I suspect most) there are only 2 people with authority to process refunds - this is required for compliance and prevention of fraud. Both these people were working from home at the same time as having to deal with kids that are no longer at school. For "my" company, the number of ticket holders was "only" just over 6,000 - nothing like the volume Princess has. The two agents, working 7 hour shifts, 5 days a week, took just over a month to complete them. They started Match 16th and finished April 17th. This was the ONLY thing they worked on during this time. So, yes, I do believe it will take up to 90 days.

 

I am trying to be patient and will wait it out. What I find frustrating is the lack of communication. I know that they have just put a note on their website regarding the time it will take, so that's a step in the right direction. Would it be so hard to send out an automated email saying "Thanks for your patience"? Would it be so hard to give an idea of where in the process they are? They say they are processing by sailing date but then we hear of people who had sailings in April or May get refunds, while those of us in March are still waiting.....That is my only beef with Princess (and the other two lines) - just communicate a little better!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

 

I've considered all of that very carefully a couple of weeks back.  I don't know what the finances are of the competitors, but we know CCL by their own admission will last around a year.  So what is their attitude exactly?  That enough cruisers in the entire industry will play musical chairs and we'll get others even if we lose many of our very loyal customers?  That seems stupid on its face when they can keep their loyal customers and possibly garner more in the future.  The point for me has always been, if they have the money, what are they waiting on?  If they can be transparent about that, then I'm sure many would be sympathetic and might understand.  But as it stands, it seems like virtually no refunds (5+ weeks after the mass cancellations) have occurred with no good communication on why.  HORRIBLE management. 

 

Bottom line, if you're going to pay back the money at all, why be stupid and piss so many loyal customers off in the process?  Based on what they've stated and done thus far, the only way their behavior makes sense is if they didn't pay people back, which would be even a bigger problem.  This is what I don't get.  Once again, if you're going to pay back the money at all, why be stupid and piss so many loyal customers off in the process??? 

What they are doing has all of the marks of an overall corporation instituting cash flow management.  What I expect is that the money raised has gone to CCL corporate.  The individuals lines are trying to manage with their finances, and do not have free access to the money raised.  At some point that money will be parceled out as the holding company determines it is needed, but very stringently.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, npcl said:

What they are doing has all of the marks of an overall corporation instituting cash flow management.  What I expect is that the money raised has gone to CCL corporate.  The individuals lines are trying to manage with their finances, and do not have free access to the money raised.  At some point that money will be parceled out as the holding company determines it is needed, but very stringently.

 

 

 

Makes sense....BUT  in the mean time for an industry that has disillusioned many of their patrons already this is NOT a good way to expect to retain future business.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I agree - in terms of cruiselines, it is definitely not just Princess that is taking so long to refund. I am waiting on refunds from both Carnival and NCL as well and both have been silent. For the other two lines, I opted for a full refund and for Princess I opted for FCC with refund of port fees/grats/shorex/refundable air. I did this because I knew I would 100% be sailing with Princess again and even had the replacement cruise picked out ready to book. However, I won't rebook it until I see some of what they owe me come back my way.

 

I have no doubt that the refunds, both in their complexity (it's not, after all, just a straight full refund) and volume will take as long as they say. I don't believe it's just a push of a button. Since this mess started, I have been helping out the company I worked with for 13 years - it's a performing arts company and they had to cancel their shows due to the virus. They offered ticket holders either a full refund, a switch to a future performance (like an FCC?) or the option to donate the money spent on the ticket to the company. Because there were options, the refunds needed to be processed manually, one by one. For this company (and I suspect most) there are only 2 people with authority to process refunds - this is required for compliance and prevention of fraud. Both these people were working from home at the same time as having to deal with kids that are no longer at school. For "my" company, the number of ticket holders was "only" just over 6,000 - nothing like the volume Princess has. The two agents, working 7 hour shifts, 5 days a week, took just over a month to complete them. They started Match 16th and finished April 17th. This was the ONLY thing they worked on during this time. So, yes, I do believe it will take up to 90 days.

 

I am trying to be patient and will wait it out. What I find frustrating is the lack of communication. I know that they have just put a note on their website regarding the time it will take, so that's a step in the right direction. Would it be so hard to send out an automated email saying "Thanks for your patience"? Would it be so hard to give an idea of where in the process they are? They say they are processing by sailing date but then we hear of people who had sailings in April or May get refunds, while those of us in March are still waiting.....That is my only beef with Princess (and the other two lines) - just communicate a little better!

Hi

I sense you and I are handling the wait in the same manner.. trust in Princess and a healthy dose of patience.


Your personal experience in dealing with performance ticket refunds is extremely relevant so thank you for sharing. I think that is great  insight into the complicated process this is for Princess and all other companies in the same ‘boat’. 

 

I agree that Princess could add a line to the emails I continue to get with a ‘thank you for your patience ; we are working on April 1-5 sailing dates now’ as an example.

in any case, it definitely will take more than just a click of a mouse.!
 

ps I have my replacement cruise picked out too!

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

 

 

Makes sense....BUT  in the mean time for an industry that has disillusioned many of their patrons already this is NOT a good way to expect to retain future business.  

Yes, but at this point as far as they are concerned is lots of good will does no good if they don't survive.  On the other hand bad feelings due to delayed refunds are often forgotten, once the refund is received, and business returns to normal.

 

I am also getting quite annoyed with them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, npcl said:

Yes, but at this point as far as they are concerned is lots of good will does no good if they don't survive.  On the other hand bad feelings due to delayed refunds are often forgotten, once the refund is received, and business returns to normal.

 

I am also getting quite annoyed with them.

I am waiting but communication is so important in situations like this and they have been sorely laxing in that regard.  I run a business that involves over 4000 people that is HEAVILY affected by this crisis and I am updating to those people weekly everything that is happening in the business.  How hard would it be for Princess, CCL, Celebrity to provide updates regularly.

 

While I am not adversely affected financially by the shut down I have NO DOUBT that some people waiting on refunds are now unemployed and that money is needed.  Having little or no regard for your customers is not a good way to handle things in my opinion.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, npcl said:

What they are doing has all of the marks of an overall corporation instituting cash flow management.  What I expect is that the money raised has gone to CCL corporate.  The individuals lines are trying to manage with their finances, and do not have free access to the money raised.  At some point that money will be parceled out as the holding company determines it is needed, but very stringently.

 

 

I'm sure you're right but that still doesn't explain why they don't refund the money.  They have the money, no one is disputing that, even if it is held at HQ, the question then goes to CCL.  Why are they holding onto the money?  They had it as soon as they raised the bond financing on 4/1 and had taken down the LOC shortly before so that so refunds should be pouring out by now.  It's not like their is any float to be had in a 0% environment, unless for example you want to buy CCL's 12% junk bonds.  Once again, I don't understand their logic with holding onto the money as it comes at the cost of a lot of goodwill.

 

While you may largely be right about people returning to their old ways, I think this clearly made a negative lasting impression for some, and certainly for me.  I booked my first 6 cruises with Princess without giving any other cruiseline a chance, even though I was aware that often times they were less expensive and/or came with a better itinerary and/or better travel convenience.  I can say for myself that they have lost that forever and I will definitely be looking to book with others as well.  I won't say I will not cruise with Princess because I'm not melodramatic and am practical and living on the West Coast and them having so many cruises here, and Carnival not be a desired alternative, leaves me wanting.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

 

I have no doubt that the refunds, both in their complexity (it's not, after all, just a straight full refund) and volume will take as long as they say. I don't believe it's just a push of a button.

 

For those that constantly feel that the refunds may take longer due to complexity or what no, which I completely don't agree with having seen dozens of accounting systems personally, but that isn't even the point. 

 

The point is that the communication has been non-existent except for a brush off general corporate comment and we aren't really seeing much of any indications that the refunds are happening.  Are you all just under the notion that their systems can only issue refunds at one time at the end of it all? I would expect some people (plenty of them at that) with mid March sailings to be chiming in about having received their refunds by now.  But they haven't.  If they had, at least then, it would lend credence to the notion that they are working diligently through this, which for myself am absolutely positive they are not.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

@WNcruiser.  My Chase statement doesn't let me click on the purchase. Perhaps it is too old..?  Thanks for your help anyway

Possibly, how long has  it been? We just paid our final in February. Are you on the main page under "Transactions"? There should be a small blue arrow next to the charge, when you click the charge there is a large blue box that says "Dispute charge". Make sure you are on a computer or iPad and not your phone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mfajxc99 said:

Dear Carol,

 

I've just called the Allianz and they were extremely nice, and yes, I can still send in refund request and I have done it.   Thank you again for being so resourceful and helpful  😘

 

 

Janet at Houston

Glad it worked! They are a reputable company.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, CarolCoupon said:

I just got my FCC in my Captain's Circle account, cruise was 3/14/20.  Selected option 1.

I was happiliy surprised!  I will be putting that to good use in 2021, god willing!

 

Thanks for the report. Hopefully we hear more of them soon.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

On the Chase thing, it could be because one of you has a Chase for Business account (which allows you to do this) and the other a personal account (which may not).

 

My Chase account is a personal one.  I am able to dispute ANY transaction from at least February forward on either my phone or computer.  I may be able to dispute even earlier charges but did not try.  You just need to open up the individual charges for your credit card and when you find the one you want to dispute, click / tap on it to open the details on that charge, then scroll until you find the dispute language.  Click on that and fill out the details.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, CarolCoupon said:

I just got my FCC in my Captain's Circle account, cruise was 3/14/20.  Selected option 1.

I was happiliy surprised!  I will be putting that to good use in 2021, god willing!

 

So happy for you!  Nice to see some positivity on this thread!  Sat. They had a reduced deposit promotion for past guests  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...