Refund Status for canceled cruises: Retitled after merges

lahore

Just now, rdowney said:

We will see. We made final payment in mid-January for a May 30 cruise.

It's up to the credit card company, right now you are beyond 60 days, but maybe you credit card has a longer than average dispute time frame.  Most people will be beyond the allowed time frame and their only option will be to hope the cruise industry is able to recover.

1 minute ago, travelhound said:

It's up to the credit card company, right now you are beyond 60 days, but maybe you credit card has a longer than average dispute time frame.  Most people will be beyond the allowed time frame and their only option will be to hope the cruise industry is able to recover.

It is up to the bank. At this point, I only know that it allowed me to submit an online dispute yesterday for a Jan 17 charge.

10 minutes ago, rdowney said:

It is up to the bank. At this point, I only know that it allowed me to submit an online dispute yesterday for a Jan 17 charge.

Well maybe that will work for you.  Personally I think that cruise industry will recover, but it will take some time.

I posted this earlier and I say again:  CALL YOUR CREDIT CARD COMPANY!  Every card is different, so what people say here about their card is not necessarily the way your card works.

Because ours was a B2B totaling 42 days, it was pricey and I used 3 cards as two of them had special offers.  Citi Double Cash told me I had 6 months from billing date to file a dispute, Capital One said 190 days from original charge, and Bank of America visa said  no time limit but had to call if it was after 60 days.

So, my advice is:  call your credit card company!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LDVinNC said:

I posted this earlier and I say again:  CALL YOUR CREDIT CARD COMPANY!  Every card is different, so what people say here about their card is not necessarily the way your card works.

Because ours was a B2B totaling 42 days, it was pricey and I used 3 cards as two of them had special offers.  Citi Double Cash told me I had 6 months from billing date to file a dispute, Capital One said 190 days from original charge, and Bank of America visa said  no time limit but had to call if it was after 60 days.

I did, US Bank is 60 days, which is the standard.  We are almost 60 days from the mass cancelation, so I don't think that is going to work for most people.

Edited by travelhound

9 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

I can see how a cruise that was canceled mid-way probably activated a different refund process.  

Why it appears most people are frustrated is because when Princess did mass cancelations of cruises on March 12, 2020 and then the full refunds they offered have not materialized if people choose Option #2 (full refund).  

Princess ignited the cancellations but have not returned the monies for breaking a contract.  They are really unbelievable at this point and the present survey on CC indicates that virtually no one has received a refund from their offer.

They just keep moving the goal posts regarding the Option #2 refund choice they gave people.

I understand your position and the frustrations.   I continue to follow these threads, as I am hoping for quick positive outcomes for everyone.

3 hours ago, LDVinNC said:

Thanks, LD.  I charged this cruise on my United Miles Chase Credit card, and when I called them, they said that because of the volume of calls, they were only accepting calls for emergency services such as a lost or stolen credit cards, and for any other reasons, to use my online account.  My concern is that Princess has calculated what I will receive in reimbursement, but added that it could be until June 2020 (or earlier) that I would receive the refund.  That is 90 days after the cancellation date.  I'm concerned that Princess could be pushing the the goal post out until we are past the time when we could file disputes.  I'm inclined to consider filing a dispute around May 12 to cover myself, but don't know what position MasterCard will take as to any dispute since I paid in December 2019. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rdowney said:

Check with the bank that issued your credit card to be sure. In some cases, the 60 days don't start until the service was supposed to be delivered. In other words, you may have until 60 days after your sail date (or even the end of the cruise) to dispute the charge. Chase let me submit an online dispute for charges that were about 100 days old. 

That's wonderful news, RD. Congratulations!

8 minutes ago, Princess1999 said:

I understand your position and the frustrations.   I continue to follow these threads, as I am hoping for quick positive outcomes for everyone.

I don't think it's going to be quick.  That said, I am hopeful that they will be able to issue a significant number of refunds when they are closer to restarting operations.

5 minutes ago, travelhound said:

I don't think it's going to be quick.  That said, I am hopeful that they will be able to issue a significant number of refunds when they are closer to restarting operations.

Not sure many of us are willing to wait that long

1 hour ago, travelhound said:

Not going to happen.....even the airlines are seeing almost zero interest in travel until Spring of next year.  The airlines are struggling after receiving billions of dollars in the recent bailout.  Airlines will be way safe to travel on then a cruise ship in the future.  

The cruise industry is going to be significantly changed and not the product it use to be.  Probably way less appealing and way more expensive.

CCL is not going to survive and probably have to declare bankruptcy and take us all down with them.  CCL is going to get no government support, is burning through over a billion dollars a month and they have taped out their credit sources.

I encourage people to get your banked involved no matter what is being said.  Each credit card company is different and Princess is not going to come to our rescue IMHO.  At this point it appears they are just lying with no intent to issue refunds.

Edited by PrincessLuver

My TA is telling me that the credit card companies are also a problem right now, as they are stacked up with refunds etc. and are slow to actually process the thing... or at least that's what Princess is telling her. 

4 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

I encourage people to get your banked involved no matter what is being said.  Each credit card company is different and Princess is not going to come to our rescue IMHO.  At this point they are just lying with no intent to issue refunds.

I don't think the bank is going to help you.

Edited by travelhound

1 minute ago, MarkieMark16 said:

My TA is telling me that the credit card companies are also a problem right now, as they are stacked up with refunds etc. and are slow to actually process the thing... or at least that's what Princess is telling her. 

Yup, the banks really have no incentive to resolve the problem.  The only way that we will see a significant number of refunds is when the cruise industry recovers.

1 minute ago, MarkieMark16 said:

The banks and credit card companies have way more money then Princess does.  File your claim and let your bank or credit card company intervene with Princess on your behalf.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

The banks and credit card companies have way more money then Princess does.  File your claim and let your bank or credit card company intervene with Princess on your behalf.

That is not really an option for most people if the charge is beyond 60 days.

Edited by travelhound

Yup, the banks really have no incentive to resolve the problem.  The only way that we will see a significant number of refunds is when the cruise industry recovers.

That has never been my experience with AMEX and Signature.  They are reputable unlike Princess.

But you can bet the cruise lines are not going to survive this fiasco.  Especially if they owe billions to their passengers as has been indicated by recent financial reports on Wall Street.

5 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

That has never been my experience with AMEX and Signature.  

By law, the banks only have to accept a dispute after 60 days from the charge.  Some may extend that period, but they are under no obligation to do so.

Edited by travelhound

35 minutes ago, travelhound said:

By law, the banks only have to accept a dispute after 60 days from the charge.  Some may extend that period, but they are under no obligation to do so

As others have suggested, I also encourage people to contact their credit card company directly and not be scared away by guidance provided here. Although people are well-intentioned, each bank has different time limit rules and “services not rendered” will likely give you 60 days beyond the sail date (not charge date).

I was able to call and file a dispute with Chase Thursday and even able to include a charge from last July for the initial deposit. Also, I too received the recording that most call centers were closed down except for emergencies. I was persistent, got to an operator, asked for the dispute department, waited 20 minutes and got to an agent who helped me. No decision or temporary credit has yet been applied for the $8525 Princess owes me but the dispute agent identified every charge, noted an explanation for each one, and submitted the claim for consideration. 

I know many are patiently waiting but my confidence and trust In Princess has been depleted. Not seeing any evidence that any refunds have been issued for sailings canceled on March 12th speaks volumes to me. Best wishes to everyone. 

Edited by mrsbillyp
Typo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, travelhound said:

That is not really an option for most people if the charge is beyond 60 days.

You keep pounding on this point, but when you asked your bank as you mentioned doing, did you specifically ask about the time limit for a service delivered in future? 

As many have posted, I checked with two banks and the 60-day limit is measured from when service or item is delivered.  So you buy something and you have it in hand.  You have 60 days.  You book a vacation or a cruise and pay for it six months ahead.  If you never get the trip and don't get a refund, you have 60 days from when the trip was to take place.  It's only logical.  How could anyone file a dispute for some service that has not even come to be as yet since in the future?

• Like 5

If Princess could have only posted here and figured out who's who from handles and such and made sure all you good folk got refunds promptly, the good word would be enormous and the silent majority who are not on CC would just be waiting away at home not aware of all the consternation. 

Hope things improve soon.  And I certainly hope the Chapter 11 conspiracy theories are about as wrong as the virus is Italy's fault.

6 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

You keep pounding on this point, but when you asked your bank as you mentioned doing, did you specifically ask about the time limit for a service delivered in future? 

As many have posted, I checked with two banks and the 60-day limit is measured from when service or item is delivered.  So you buy something and you have it in hand.  You have 60 days.  You book a vacation or a cruise and pay for it six months ahead.  If you never get the trip and don't get a refund, you have 60 days from when the trip was to take place.  It's only logical.  How could anyone file a dispute for some service that has not even come to be as yet since in the future?

Yup, it's from the date of the charge.  The banks have no legal responsibility to do anything beyond 60 days.  That said, there are banks that offer an extended period of time.  Beyond that, your only hope is that the cruise industry recovers.

2 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

Not going to happen.....even the airlines are seeing almost zero interest in travel until Spring of next year.  The airlines are struggling after receiving billions of dollars in the recent bailout.  Airlines will be way safe to travel on then a cruise ship in the future.  

The cruise industry is going to be significantly changed and not the product it use to be.  Probably way less appealing and way more expensive.

CCL is not going to survive and probably have to declare bankruptcy and take us all down with them.  CCL is going to get no government support, is burning through over a billion dollars a month and they have taped out their credit sources.

I encourage people to get your banked involved no matter what is being said.  Each credit card company is different and Princess is not going to come to our rescue IMHO.  At this point it appears they are just lying with no intent to issue refunds.

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

That has never been my experience with AMEX and Signature.  They are reputable unlike Princess.

But you can bet the cruise lines are not going to survive this fiasco.  Especially if they owe billions to their passengers as has been indicated by recent financial reports on Wall Street.

If you're wrong, and I think that you are about CCL declaring bankruptcy, are you going to be willing to admit it, especially if they make all of their passengers whole?

Edited by jwattle
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, travelhound said:

Yup, it's from the date of the charge.  The banks have no legal responsibility to do anything beyond 60 days.  That said, there are banks that offer an extended period of time.  Beyond that, your only hope is that the cruise industry recovers.

Well, I have the same advice for you as when I and others advise people to find a new TA after a bad booking experience.  You need to find a new bank or credit card provider because what you have seems to be in the minority.  Hope you get the refund due to you.

• Like 3