Refund Status for canceled cruises: Retitled after merges

lahore

22 minutes ago, resistk said:

No surprise that Travel Agents have been instructed to discourage credit card disputes.  Believe me while the cruise lines have been slow to issue refunds; they are fast to claw back on commissions.  In some cases the Travel Agency may be on the hook for a penalty too in the event of a credit card dispute.  It is a mess and getting bigger as June cruises are cancelled.

and as posted here on CC - 'some' TA's apparently have the clients pay them directly, then the TA pays the cruise line ...

then when the passenger cancels and notifies the Credit Card company … that chargeback goes against the TA, since they are the one that 'made the payment' in dispute to

and just wait for the July and August cruises to officially be cancelled by Princess 🤑

fact checkers ? it's all yours now

stay safe

Peace out

• Like 1

1 hour ago, remydiva said:

Thanks for the article.

Well Lordy Lordy lookie there... the cruise lines mentioned in the article .. all the mass market ones.. ALL have passengers weighing the same options ..FCC or $ refund .. and ALL are waiting! Just like us with Princess.!

It ‘appears’ that RCL MAY  be cranking out refunds quicker in 45 days but maybe they had less cruises impacted. Could communication be better? You bet so there is a take away here big time.

My point is ...for everyone who is thinking that they will ‘never cruise Princess again’ because of this refund process , take a hard look at the entire cruise industry before jumping ‘ship’. 
It’s an industry wide issue, not just one company. 

Curious - did you receive the email from Princess about refund processing? I still didn't get and now wondering if that means we aren't being processed?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

Curious - did you receive the email from Princess about refund processing? I still didn't get and now wondering if that means we aren't being processed?

Hi

No, I did not receive an email about refund processing. I got the initial one confirming receipt of my choice of options. I checked my spam box too and nothing there.
It appears that we are not the only ones to NOT receive the ‘refund processing’ email.

if I recall,  others have phoned into Princess and had it confirmed that they were in the queue.

If I haven’t seen any movement after 60 days, then I’ll give them a call.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

and as posted here on CC - 'some' TA's apparently have the clients pay them directly, then the TA pays the cruise line ...

Oh dear. That's a no-no. Always pay the cruise line, via the TA.    The charge on the credit card should be the name of the cruise line.   People are just asking for trouble to do it the other way. 😞 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

The issue is they act like they are doing something, saying they are doing something but many of us feel that they are doing nothing.  

Many of us feel like giving Princess a break by being patient and waiting a while to see how things pan out.

• Like 4

Hi

No, I did not receive an email about refund processing. I got the initial one confirming receipt of my choice of options. I checked my spam box too and nothing there.
It appears that we are not the only ones to NOT receive the ‘refund processing’ email.

if I recall,  others have phoned into Princess and had it confirmed that they were in the queue.

If I haven’t seen any movement after 60 days, then I’ll give them a call.

Same here. I'm fine waiting it out as long as I know I'm in the queue. I don't want to find that in 60 days I have to start the process all over as something was amiss. LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

Same here. I'm fine waiting it out as long as I know I'm in the queue. I don't want to find that in 60 days I have to start the process all over as something was amiss. LOL

I just now sent email through that ‘contact Us’ FEEDBACK option at bottom of princess web. Not many options so I picked ‘post cruise’ and ‘other’ as options.  I filled in my booking number as it knew the rest . I just asked to confirm my refund is in the queue .

we shall see.

Edited by remydiva
  • Like 2

I just now sent email through that ‘contact Us’ FEEDBACK option at bottom of princess web. Not many options so I picked ‘post cruise’ and ‘other’ as options.  I filled in my booking number as it knew the rest . I just asked to confirm my refund is in the queue .

we shall see.

Funny you should say this - I did the same thing last week via the online feedback form. I JUST received this response:

Thank you for reaching out to Princess Cruises. I see you are inquiring about your refund/future cruise credits. Please allow up to 60 days from 4/29 to receive any refunds or credits.

Thank you for your patience during this time. Refunds will be processed according to the voyage departure date of the canceled booking. Given the volume of refund requests and the care being dedicated to ensure each Guest’s request is processed accurately and in a coordinated manner, please allow for approximately 60 days for refunds to be processed. All refunds will be processed in due course, but delays should be anticipated. Please allow sufficient time for us to manage this process and know we are doing everything in our power to expedite where possible.

Hopefully this answers your question, if you have any further inquiries don’t hesitate to reach out again to Princess Cruises.                 

Hmm....not sure where this new 60 days from April 29th came from?                         

12 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Funny you should say this - I did the same thing last week via the online feedback form. I JUST received this response:

Thank you for reaching out to Princess Cruises. I see you are inquiring about your refund/future cruise credits. Please allow up to 60 days from 4/29 to receive any refunds or credits.

Thank you for your patience during this time. Refunds will be processed according to the voyage departure date of the canceled booking. Given the volume of refund requests and the care being dedicated to ensure each Guest’s request is processed accurately and in a coordinated manner, please allow for approximately 60 days for refunds to be processed. All refunds will be processed in due course, but delays should be anticipated. Please allow sufficient time for us to manage this process and know we are doing everything in our power to expedite where possible.

Hopefully this answers your question, if you have any further inquiries don’t hesitate to reach out again to Princess Cruises.                 

Hmm....not sure where this new 60 days from April 29th came from?                         

Was your cruise April 29? Agree that wasnt' our understanding...I thought it was 60 days from the Mar 12 cancellation and that the refunds were processed in order of your sailing date. If it is 60 days from my April 19 then I got an extra month to wait...eek.

1 minute ago, remydiva said:

Was your cruise April 29? Agree that wasnt' our understanding...I thought it was 60 days from the Mar 12 cancellation and that the refunds were processed in order of your sailing date. If it is 60 days from my April 19 then I got an extra month to wait...eek.

Nope. My cruise was March 14th. One of the very first cancelled sailings. This was my response and her reply:

Thank you for your response - this doesn't answer my question. I cancelled this sailing on March 10th. At that time, I was told 7-10 days for refunds to be processed. This changed to 30 days with the pause in operations. This changed to 60 days from date of Princess receiving the option 1 or option 2 choice. Now you are telling me 60 days from April 29th?

Your request was processed on 4/29. It would be sooner than 60 days I hope. But I do apologize this is the time frame.

On the positive side, it looks as if it at least is being taken care of. The confusing thing is why was it not processed until 4/29 and, given that it is now processed, why is it another 60 days? Doesn't processed mean that it's done?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Nope. My cruise was March 14th. One of the very first cancelled sailings. This was my response and her reply:

Thank you for your response - this doesn't answer my question. I cancelled this sailing on March 10th. At that time, I was told 7-10 days for refunds to be processed. This changed to 30 days with the pause in operations. This changed to 60 days from date of Princess receiving the option 1 or option 2 choice. Now you are telling me 60 days from April 29th?

Your request was processed on 4/29. It would be sooner than 60 days I hope. But I do apologize this is the time frame.

On the positive side, it looks as if it at least is being taken care of. The confusing thing is why was it not processed until 4/29 and, given that it is now processed, why is it another 60 days? Doesn't processed mean that it's done?

The good news is that your refund request is alive and well and in the queue. The confusing part is that  while your Mar 14 cruise was 'processed' April 29 which is 5 wks so that sounds encouraging BUT you haven't seen the results in FCC or $$ after that April 29 'processing'.

I agree that 'processed' sounds' done' but ...as others have suggested, perhaps it is 'done' but wont' be posted to your account until the 60 days??? from ??? Mar 10   ? Mar 14?     April 29 ???

• Like 1

1 minute ago, remydiva said:

The good news is that your refund request is alive and well and in the queue. The confusing part is that  while your Mar 14 cruise was 'processed' April 29 which is 5 wks so that sounds encouraging BUT you haven't seen the results in FCC or $$ after that April 29 'processing'.

I agree that 'processed' sounds' done' but ...as others have suggested, perhaps it is 'done' but wont' be posted to your account until the 60 days??? from ??? Mar 10   ? Mar 14?     April 29 ???

Yes, I am at least taking comfort in knowing I'm on the radar! I really don't have an issue with waiting, especially as I chose option 1 so the refundable amount was "only" around $2000 (lol). I fully believe Princess will come through and will make good on all they have promised. I just wish everyone that speaks to the public was on the same page and giving the same answers!

• Like 2

As soon as the clock hits 60 days from my day of cancellation. I will be sending a letter concerning the refund exceeding their stated refund policy to the following people/offices:

1. Princess 

2. The TA this trip was booked through

3. The Attorney General for the state of Oregon (my state of residence)

4. The Attorney General for the state of California (State where Princess HQ is located)

5. The Attorney General for the state of Florida (State where CCL HQ is located)

6. Congressional Representative for my district (since an investigation of CCL is taking place)

7. Better Business Bureau

8. Dispute request with my credit card. I have talked with them and they said the clock for the dispute starts when Princess exceeds their stated refund policy

May not do any good, but on the other hand I have lots of free time

Edited by npcl
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, remydiva said:

we shall see.

I did the exact same thing and got nothing other than a generic email! 

9 hours ago, travelhound said:

It's called the Fair Credit Billing Act

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/fair-credit-billing-act-1282.php

Thank you for confirming what I had posted: you are making firm statements that don’t necessarily apply to all readers.  Two issues emerge:

1.  Many readers are not from the USA so have a credit card carrier in their country which may be Canada, UK, Australia, etc. all of which may have different parameters for disputes than what you are using to substantiate your position.  And even in the USA it is clear that the 60 rule you keep reporting it has not applied to all.

2.  The link you posted addresses billing errors.  What we all are dealing with is not a billing error but rather the lack of fulfillment for a service for which we had paid.  That’s a very different situation so it’s not surprising that so many in the USA and elsewhere have told you that they have a range of time periods in which to file a credit card dispute.

I stand by what I and so many others have said:  talk to your credit card company to find out what applies to you and do not accept the idea that there is a 60 day from the time of payment limitation until you know for sure that is the case.   There’s a very good chance it may be something other than that but you need to find out directly from your credit card company and not from online opinions.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jwattle said:

I didn't say I had any; I said that I THOUGHT you were wrong about the bankruptcy 😄 

Just disagreeing with you about the likelihood of bankruptcy. 🙂 

Can’t win with that one. Hard wired for as negative a point of view as humanly possible. 🤷🏼 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, npcl said:

As soon as the clock hits 60 days from my day of cancellation. I will be sending a letter concerning the refund exceeding their stated refund policy to the following people/offices:

1. Princess 

2. The TA this trip was booked through

3. The Attorney General for the state of Oregon (my state of residence)

4. The Attorney General for the state of California (State where Princess HQ is located)

5. The Attorney General for the state of Florida (State where CCL HQ is located)

6. Congressional Representative for my district (since an investigation of CCL is taking place)

7. Better Business Bureau

8. Dispute request with my credit card. I have talked with them and they said the clock for the dispute starts when Princess exceeds their stated refund policy

May not do any good, but on the other hand I have lots of free time

I will be right behind you......evidently some people do not mind if Princess says one thing and does another.....hope others follow your plan of action too....it cracks me up on how Princess can possibly take millions from it's passenger and it is a yawn to some on CC but if Princess does not honor an old paper coffee card they act like it is a major federal crime on CC!

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, npcl said:

I will be sending a letter concerning the refund exceeding their stated refund policy to the following people/offices

Don't forget to contact the inattentive Carnival Corporation Board of Directors.  Their well-paid jobs are to make sure messes like the refund process don't happen.  Arnold Donald (FY 2019 total compensation $11,149,000) should have been fired yesterday and all his pay and bonuses clawed back.

FYI:

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/governance/communicating-with-the-board

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/corporate-information/board-of-directors

• Like 1

I've spent some time looking up consumer protection laws about refunds.  In Ohio (where I am) there is an 8 week time period between the expected delivery of a good or service and the ability to sue for a refund.

"It is deceptive for a seller to accept money from a consumer and allow eight weeks to pass without:

• Delivering the goods or services.

• Providing a full refund.

• Telling the consumer about the delay and offering to send a refund within two weeks, if the consumer

requests it.

• Substituting similar goods or services of equal or greater value, if the consumer agrees."

Since my cruise date was May 9th, I cannot file a complaint and/or sue under Ohio law until 8 weeks after that date.  Princess seems to have found similar terms in other state laws to give them some breathing room in returning funds.  

12 hours ago, Carnevale said:

I stand by what I and so many others have said:  talk to your credit card company to find out what applies to you and do not accept the idea that there is a 60 day from the time of payment limitation until you know for sure that is the case.   There’s a very good chance it may be something other than that but you need to find out directly from your credit card company and not from online opinions.

Yes, yes, yes!

• Thanks 1

I have a question for those who have already contacted their credit card companies. If you did a

reversal of the charge for the balance of your cruise what happens to your initial deposit? We used

Future Cruise Deposits for the down payment and then when due paid the remaining balance in full. So I can only reverse

for  that remaining balance.Will those FCD's go back into our Princess account. Our cruises were cancelled by Princess.

Thanks for any information.

On 5/3/2020 at 3:42 AM, ABoatNerd said:

This reporter missed the story (intentionally?); instead of her just repeating the cruiselines' shifting promises and their excuses, she should have reported that almost without exception, refunds haven't even started to flow yet. The story is not "the queue is long," the story is "the queue is not moving."

And how can she let NCL get away with saying many passengers with NCL-cancelled cruises cannot even apply for a refund yet, and that those passengers will have only a 7-day window to do so?

24 minutes ago, latserrof said:

And how can she let NCL get away with saying many passengers with NCL-cancelled cruises cannot even apply for a refund yet, and that those passengers will have only a 7-day window to do so?

NCL is apparently telling their customers it could take up to 120 days to get a refund.  

2 hours ago, CruisinCouple2010 said:

Will those FCD's go back into our Princess account.

FCD was reinstated with the original expiration date to my Princess account a couple of weeks ago.

4/29/20 cruise (booked and paid on 2/25/2020) was canceled by Princess on 3/12.

NO refund yet

NO FCC posted that was promised with Option 2.

Sidebar: I disputed the charge on 4/14/20.  On 5/1/20 I spoke to the PVP asking her when to expect my refund. She checked and our booking showed that Princess had "accepted the charge-back" on April 19.  The final charge reversal has not shown up on my Chase Credit card yet.   I called Chase and they said the charge-back was posted, but because of Chase's backlog it might take a few days for the final credit to be applied to my account.  As always they said to wait until I get a letter from them with details of the dispute resolution.   Waiting and watching and slightly encouraged.

Second sidebar:  The FCD that was returned to my account is scheduled to expire 5/19/20.   I'm curious if it will be refunded as quickly as expired FCDs have been in the past.

Edited by as400guy
wording change