Refund Status for canceled cruises: Retitled after merges

lahore

29 minutes ago, antsp said:

So it looks like Princess will get hit with $100 charge fee from the credit card company, my bet is they will pull the fcc from the customer 

Absolutely incorrect. I disputed my cruise fare, got my money back (Approved by Princess) and have my FCC. 

You are only losing time and money by not filing a dispute. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I filed cc dispute and I’m gathering some paperwork (YAY for me!) I remember someone posting a while back who had saved some communication from the Princess website for pause 1 cancellations about the 60 day time frame for refunds and FCC’s. Could someone repost that for me? It would be much appreciated.

1 hour ago, mfajxc99 said:

Do you have any screenshot or email saying the 30 days processing time ?  I'd like to have a copy for my document.  Thanks in advance. 🙏  I just cannot believe Princess is doing this to us, I've got my refunds from United !!!! And, even from a small tour company in Italy (ItalyTours.eu) which I actually had doubt about it.... a big company like Princess.... this is unbelievable!!!!

I will file my dispute when my 60 days is up (5/16/20).... I think that's enough time for them. 

Janet

This was the original one that was published on March 12th.  It had 30 days for FCC, nothing for refunds.

voluntary-60-day-pause-of-global-ship-operations.pdf

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

HEY PRINCESS, I WANT MY REFUND NOW. YOU'VE HAD OUR MONEY SINCE DECEMBER AND YOU CANCELLED OUR CRUISE 2 MONTHS AGO. YOU'VE JUST ABOUT LOST US AS CUSTOMERS.

No need to shout but bye bye!

If you haven't contacted your credit card company requesting a refund for a cancelled cruise you may be waiting a long time?

• Like 1

Just now, hm9912 said:

No need to shout but bye bye!

If you haven't contacted your credit card company requesting a refund for a cancelled cruise you may be waiting a long 

I'M SHOUTING BECAUSE I'M NOT A HAPPY CAMPER, IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, THAT'S TOO BAD.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 3:21 PM, voljeep said:

How much does it cost Princess to process a refund to a credit card ?

How much does it cost Princess not to protest a chargeback ?

All I know is chargeback carries a penalty to the merchant.  That is one of the reasons many small businesses dont accept AMEX (on top of the higher merchant fee) because AMEX is much more pro-customers than other issuers on the Visa / Mastercard network.

Refund does not carry penalty, it is just par of business course.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, nho9504 said:

Refund does not carry penalty, it is just par of business course.

I was thinking about the employee cost for processing the refund(s) compared to just accepting the CC chargeback

19 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

I asked my credit card company about this back in the beginning - I wasn't planing on disputing but just wanted to know my options. At that time, they told me the time limit to file was 60 days. I assumed that meant 60 days from the transaction, so was already past that point. Now others are saying it may be from sailing date - I plan on calling back tomorrow to clarify as the 60 days from sailing date for me is on May 13th.

I were you I would not even bother to call,  just file a dispute whether online or by phone - the 60 days is a standard time for charges you do not recognize or over charged, things like that.  In the current crisis, I have yet read a bank denied disputes on charges related to trips canceled by providers - this incl airline tickets booked 8 months ahead then the flight was canceled but airline dragged on its feel not to refund.  All the banks want to see is the proof of flight cancellation by the airlines.

Edited by nho9504
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

I was thinking about the employee cost for processing the refund(s) compared to just accepting the CC chargeback

Of course they have to match the charge back to the pending refund which probably is done by the same department and probably takes the same amount of time as actually approving the refund in the first place.

57 minutes ago, Worldpeek said:

I filed cc dispute and I’m gathering some paperwork (YAY for me!) I remember someone posting a while back who had saved some communication from the Princess website for pause 1 cancellations about the 60 day time frame for refunds and FCC’s. Could someone repost that for me? It would be much appreciated.

Hopefully this helps. If anyone else has any supporting documentation for those filing disputes I am sure it would be appreciated! 

PrincessRefunds.thumb.png.89f5fb6dfc0bdf1489d60da051ba57fa.png

Edited by WNcruiser

5 hours ago, hm9912 said:

It is technically a credit card dispute for promised services that were not received and Barclay's Princess Visa gets the money back from Princess for a cancelled cruise.

Alright.  When I first read it I thought it was a Princess refund. because of your wording of Thank You Princess.   That by itself led me to interpret it that Princess has processed the refund, even though I do NOT see any reason to thank Princess when it merely returned you your own money, with much delay too.

Now you clarified it - it is NOT a true, voluntarily refund as we all are patiently waiting.  Rather it is a result of a dispute to your card issuer and the resolution is in your favor.   Princess simply chose not to Contest the dispute because it has NO GROUND to do so.

Completely different things. 

Glad someone has thought to ask and you finally clarified.  Otherwise many of us would be misled to have false hope.

Edited by nho9504

2 hours ago, suzyed said:

Nooo! We use our Princess visa too and there is no front of the line for us. 
They have barely acknowledged our dispute for a portion of the charges Princess submitted.

He did NOT get the refund from Princess as he initially worded -  he later posted the answer on someone's question about "technically it is the result from a credit card dispute".

I cannot believe the initial post would be so misleading when everyone is trying to figure out if there are ANY cash refund is processed for the massive suspension started on Mar 12.   His post sounded like it was...  especially he thanked  Princess...

On top of that, I dont know what is the purpose of the long post about being nice to the call center workers so to get a good result.  The principles are sound as I myself practice that all the time, even incl chitchat with the Philippines based reps of their home town(s) - BUT the problem is, his refund WAS NOT ISSUED by Princess in the ordinary way of process refund, but a DIRECT RESULT OF A CREDIT CARD DISPUTE.

While I appreciate another positive data point on CC dispute results I am quite disappointed by the initial misleading data point.

I am in a unique situation that I could not filed a CC dispute with reasons long posted ago.  Had I paid the cruise with my CC, I would have filed right after 30 days passed as that was the time frame given by Princess on the first suspension.   Princess is very stupid in handling this situation - they could do a better job in communication, as to sending out periodic emails on the progress, letting their CSRs know where your refunds stand as in the long queue,  anything that is slightly more transparent then all the mumble jumble "thank you for being Elites" blah blah blah.

Being a business person with financial and accounting background, I fully understand where Princess is coming from, and understand their need to preserve cash - but their PR is a disaster in this crisis time - they are essentially ALIENATE their most loyal customers in handling this crisis.  I feel truly bad for those of you having Tens of Thousands of $ tied up, essentially an interest free loan bankrolling CCL / Princess...  None of the airlines which have flights touch US soil could refuse refund because DOT (Department of Transportation)  has issued reinforcement notice when airlines tried to pull a no refund, only voucher stint, even though their vouchers are issued rather timely, unlike Princess on the FCC... 

For those of you who have airlines canceled on you, if your flights touch US soil, call your airlines to ask for 100% refund, even if you have been issued voucher - unless you want the voucher - mentioned DOT's ruling - this works 100% of time to get your money back.

May be we need a government regulation body on cruise lines that operate their ships in US water, so the passengers rights are protected.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dog said:

Do you think? Or do you know?

Charge back carries Penalty to the merchant.  This deters merchant (or crooks) to fraudulently charge cardholders for goods not the same as purchases, or services not delivered as promised.   The charge backs also have been used by crooks on the other end (initiate charge backs), and there are specialized companies provide services for merchants to fight the chargeback.

You can google to learn more if you are so inclined.

30 minutes ago, nho9504 said:

Alright.  When I first read it I thought it was a Princess refund. because of your wording of Thank You Princess.   That by itself led me to interpret it that Princess has processed the refund, even though I do NOT see any reason to thank Princess when it merely returned you your own money, with much delay too.

Now you clarified it - it is NOT a true, voluntarily refund as we all are patiently waiting.  Rather it is a result of a dispute to your card issuer and the resolution is in your favor.   Princess simply chose not to Contest the dispute because it has NO GROUND to do so.

Completely different things. 

Glad someone has thought to ask and you finally clarified.  Otherwise many of us would be misled to have false hope.

Many are making the same mistake in thinking that Princess is going to magically refund their cruise fare that was paid via credit card. The CC company will ask you if you have contacted the merchant. You should at least make a phone call or on line contact to Princess so when you request the charge back refund with the CC company you can answer yes you have contacted the merchant and you would like a refund for a cruise that was paid for 75 days in advance of sailing that was subsequently cancelled. As I mentioned in an earlier post this morning I not only received all of my credit card charges on my Princess Visa card but had previously received the option 2 FCC in my Princess Personalizer.

I should also mention that when I initially contacted Princess Visa the customer service rep initiated two case numbers that were emailed to me for reference. Hope this helps.

Good luck to all still waiting and to those that are angry, just calm down, take a deep breath and be pleasant when contacting a call center.

1 hour ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

hm9912, why did you feel the need to "thank" Princess in your first post declaring a "refund"? 

I don't at all see what there is to thank them for. 

I thank Princess Cruises for the great times I have had on their cruises the past 16 years. I don’t think “thank” is the word I would use now. More like “respect” “appreciate” “understanding” for what the company has been dealing with the past few months. I still believe that the company that has served me so well all these years will survive this pandemic and provide an even better product down the road. I also believe everyone will get what’s coming to them.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, billco said:

I thank Princess Cruises for the great times I have had on their cruises the past 16 years. I don’t think “thank” is the word I would use now. More like “respect” “appreciate” “understanding” for what the company has been dealing with the past few months. I still believe that the company that has served me so well all these years will survive this pandemic and provide an even better product down the road. I also believe everyone will get what’s coming to them.

I like your optimism.

23 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

I respect that and understand that you have a long standing relationship with a lot of fond memories and it's not so easy to detach yourself from all of that.  I would probably feel much the same way if I wasn't a one-time cruiser.  But at the end of the day, actions speak loudly.  And it's not at all a function of not getting my money back, but the complete circus show that I have seen emanating from that organization these past few months.

Having said all that, that really has nothing to do with what I was asking hm9912.  They posted a few pages back that they got a refund and seemed to sincerely and enthusiastically thank Princess.  However, upon questioning, it appears that they in fact disputed the charges through their credit card company and got the money back that way.  So I'm totally confused as to what in the world there is to thank Princess for in that specific case.

agree that getting your money back by disputing through your credit card be it Princess visa or Chase or RBC is NOT the same as Princess refunding your monies. I shall wait...and wait and wait....not a one time cruiser...a 20 time cruiser...150 days under my belt...call me Pollyanna but gosh, I gotta hope that Princess will come through.