Refund Status for canceled cruises: Retitled after merges

lahore

1 hour ago, as400guy said:

IT is the group that builds and TRAINS Accounting & Management to use their systems!  🤑

Thanks, as400guy.  I suspect we are kindred spirits - which I had guessed when I first saw your handle.

13 minutes ago, voljeep said:

so, you don't know … gotcha

and how many ACTUALLY DOES MATTER !!!

Too funny with such twisted logic.   The key is DL is processing refunds to any passengers who wanted refunds, not vouchers.

I see majorjan has replied to you. 

That is ONE MILLION REFUNDS ALREADY PROCESSED.

And in comparison, how many Princess HAS PROCESSED so far?

Can you tell me how many refunds Princess has processed so far?

Princess does not even have ONE MILLION passengers for whole year...

In March, Delta processed more than one million refunds, totaling more than $500 million, the company said.

Edited by nho9504
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, TM said:

I have been a Princess cruiser and supporter for many years.  But there is no way any reasonable person can condone and approve the way Princess has been handling the return of monies they have held back from customers.  It is totally unacceptable and personally I think they have turned off many loyal customers.  I have seen reductions in what is offered over the past 28 years and have been OK with those reductions in order to keep prices reasonable.  But I refuse to accept that they cannot and will not return our funds.  It is just a way of showing that they have cash on hand when in fact it should be counted as a liability owed to customers.

My friends would consider me to be an avid cruiser, some have many more cruisers under their belt, others, much less.  I do have a favorite cruise line and while it is not Princess, but they do offer a very nice product with itineraries that are quite appealing to me.  I have several bookings for this year and a few in 2021 and one in 2022 ...mostly all on Princess.  Sadly, 3 of my sailings for this year have already been canceled by Princess.  

I am not one to claim my cruising days are over.  As a matter of fact, if the cruiselines are allowed to sail later this year, I will be on those sailings.  However, I am now reluctant to give Princess any more of my cash because of their continued delays of our refunds.  Guess they've put themselves into a catch 22 .... they need new cash but they've scared avid cruisers away from giving them anymore of it.  

They also were selling cruises they knew couldn't possibly happen and they put restrictions on the use of the FCCs but I hear they are working that out after numerous complaints.  After people seeing these restrictions on the FCCs, more decided to just opt for choosing option #2 for a full cash refund ... again, stabbing themselves in the foot in getting new or keeping current cash.  They also were giving out a round of upgrades to people ... again, probably on cruises they know won't sail but in the meanwhile, it's keeping some of those that might have otherwise canceled to hold onto those deposits.  They claim they are returning the FCDs but haven't seen that as of yet.  New money only please!!  My reluctance is not with cruising, whenever it may come back, my reluctance is with giving any more money that may not be returned.  Someone in a previous post said it best, at this rate our money won't be returned for decades.  Bankruptcy is a much more likely outcome but, his point was well taken.  

57 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

I am sure if it were the other way around Princess would be very understanding and have no problem with us taking a cruise and then paying them later.....knowing we are working hard on getting them the money and to just be patient with us.

Excellent point!!  Final payment due date missed ... you are not going on any cruise!!  😉 

• Like 3

Well no refund to the charge card. I am waiting for refunds from three cruise lines, nothing. However, I did receive my FCC but that is messed up also. Princess did give me FCC for the basic cost of the cruise but has messed up totally, two future cruise certificates that are $100.00 each. They say they were used on a different cruise yet they now show them as active on my account but also show them expired on 5/6/2020 Go figure. Then they show $15.00 one for me and one for my wife as FCC cruise credits. Ask them where did they come from? Answer, "No idea". Then they show $50.00 FCC no idea why. There is more to this but I will not bore you with it.

58 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

If you paid for your cruise and cancelled (or the cruise was cancelled after the final payment due date, what legal basis are you using to get a refund?  Are you claiming that you cancelled and under the cancellation penalty you are due 75% back (etc)....or is there some other clause in the contract of passage that allows you to file a dispute with your credit card company?

The cancellation fees were not 100% of what we had paid for the cruise. The cancellation fees with Princess were the cruise fare and the air ticket fare. Anything above the cancellation fees (e.g. taxes, port fees, ezair taxes) Princess told us would be reimbursed on our credit card. After cancelling the cruise, Princess sent us a cancellation notice which detailed the total amount paid and the cancellation fees. That is the document we submitted to our credit card company to get our money back.

3 hours ago, Coral said:

I think everything is relative also. Some people are out $1000 while others are out $20,000. That is a huge difference in how one reacts potentially on their situation. There are also a lot of people who are suddenly out of work who never expected that and this refund could help them out tremendously. Not everyone's situation is the same - try to be sensitive to that.

Thank you for bringing that up, Coral.  Mine was a very expensive "once in a lifetime" world cruise.  The money for this did not come easy and the cruise will never be repeated.  I am majorly disappointed, mostly because of the missed anticipated experiences I will never have.  I just now roughly tallied up what I am owed.  Approximately .... $35,818 in cash refund for 71 cruise days missed and unexpected travel home from Australia to LAX, "Refundable" OBC from my on board folio $2700, the promised bonus FCC of 100% of 71 cruise days missed $33,000.  I do not fit in any of the detailed phases as our 111 day cruise was underway when the pause was announced.  Yes, quite a difference from a deposit, use of FCD or a fully paid normal cruise.  I have had ZERO, NONE, NADA communication from Princess. (I do not count the auto reply email sent when form is submitted)  Feeling tossed aside, ignored, forgotten I AM VERY WORRIED that I am out at least some of what is owed to me.  I expect I will never see some of this. Credit Card dispute for what I could has been initiated.  True, "Not everyone's situation is the same"  For me, I am just very sad and worried.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

THANK YOU ALL for posting the links which can easily be found by doing any googling... But ...

At the bottom of the above Marketwatch report

A Delta spokesman said the carrier will “provide full refunds to eligible passengers requesting them for whom we have cancelled a flight or made a significant schedule change.” In March, Delta processed more than one million refunds, totaling more than $500 million, the company said.

See, NUMBERS DO MATTER.  Now let's see what else "Gotcha" from voljeep.  

Pretty sure we will still hear from some who keep finding endless excuses for an unethical, dishonest company constantly engaged in deceptive behaviors. 

This makes me wonder, if such behaviors are acceptable to those few posters'  standards, then what kind of an ethic yardstick these posters may have...

Edited by nho9504
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

Thank you for bringing that up, Coral.  Mine was a very expensive "once in a lifetime" world cruise.  The money for this did not come easy and the cruise will never be repeated.  I am majorly disappointed, mostly because of the missed anticipated experiences I will never have.  I just now roughly tallied up what I am owed.  Approximately .... $35,818 in cash refund for 71 cruise days missed and unexpected travel home from Australia to LAX, "Refundable" OBC from my on board folio $2700, the promised bonus FCC of 100% of 71 cruise days missed $33,000.  I do not fit in any of the detailed phases as our 111 day cruise was underway when the pause was announced.  Yes, quite a difference from a deposit, use of FCD or a fully paid normal cruise.  I have had ZERO, NONE, NADA communication from Princess. (I do not count the auto reply email sent when form is submitted)  Feeling tossed aside, ignored, forgotten I AM VERY WORRIED that I am out at least some of what is owed to me.  I expect I will never see some of this. Credit Card dispute for what I could has been initiated.  True, "Not everyone's situation is the same"  For me, I am just very sad and worried.

Holly, I am so very sorry... we are all in a pickle but yours is the biggest I have yet to hear! 
let’s hope all this is resolved soon... We are thinking about you... please keep us updated.

Not all cruise lines are dragging their feet on returning canceled cruise monies back to their faithful patrons.  Viking River Cruises returned my $13,472 in 32 days.  Delta on the other hand has owned me $6,500 for the same amount of time.  They have issued case numbers but have not actually initiated my refund (for canceled flights).  Princess only owes me $1,320 deposit, 279.98 Internet package x 2, and $279.90 Excursion x 2.  The real kicker is that they processed the wifi package 24 hours before canceling our cruise.  After reading these 73 pages, I do not hold out much hope of seeing my Princess dollars.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, suzyed said:

Holly, I am so very sorry... we are all in a pickle but yours is the biggest I have yet to hear! 
let’s hope all this is resolved soon... We are thinking about you... please keep us updated.

Thank You, Susan.  I know you have your issues too.

5 hours ago, richsea said:

Everyone here should read the article that Cruise Critic published regarding the cancellations & refunds. Then think of your own situation & multiply that by tens of thousands. Then realize that cruise line employees as well as credit card employees are processing these refunds from home. Do you really think this delay is intentional?
GET REAL!!

When refunds historically automatically issued within a couple of days (expired FCDs) are not made, yes, I think the delay is intentional. 

When refunds historically automatically issued within 4-6 weeks are delayed, and require manual intervention on the part of passengers, yes, I think the delay is intentional. 

These things pre-date any of the cruise cancellations. You bet that Princess is intentionally delaying the refunds. In fact, they had to override their own systems for refunds to NOT be issued. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Heartfelttraveler said:

Not all cruise lines are dragging their feet on returning canceled cruise monies back to their faithful patrons.  Viking River Cruises returned my $13,472 in 32 days.  Delta on the other hand has owned me $6,500 for the same amount of time.  They have issued case numbers but have not actually initiated my refund (for canceled flights).  Princess only owes me $1,320 deposit, 279.98 Internet package x 2, and $279.90 Excursion x 2.  The real kicker is that they processed the wifi package 24 hours before canceling our cruise.  After reading these 73 pages, I do not hold out much hope of seeing my Princess dollars.

Viking did the same for three of our neighbors who are all couples and were booked on a cruise that was canceled.  We are going to start looking at a company like them that actually seems to care about its customers and reputation.

1 hour ago, nho9504 said:

What makes you think CPAs have anything to do with process refunds for services?   . 

If I’m not mistaken, it may be the professed CPAs that inferred they knew what was involved in processing a huge number of refunds

• Like 2

2 hours ago, as400guy said:

IT is the group that builds and TRAINS Accounting & Management to use their systems!  🤑

I agree, and that's from another AS/400 guy with 40+ years in IT. They could have written the software to at least have given the FCC, regardless of which option #1/#2 was selected. Then made a second pass to process the cash refunds as needed, and notified customers with the progress. Instead, we just get very little information, unless they are just telling us they are dragging it out.

I am glad we disputed about 30 days ago, even though not a permanent credit yet as Citi is giving them 60 days to respond. The way I figure it, first one who gives us a permanent credit resolves the issue. I don't expect they will go out of business, but we did not want a big FCC out there if they did, as figured could not dispute that with the CC company, or if when  cruising resumes and we decide not to take another one, we have the money back and not a big FCC. Different for everyone, and not a one size fits all, it's just the way we looked at when we chose the option #2.

1 hour ago, Coral said:

The people answering the phones are not the ones issuing the refunds. They are distinct departments.

Maybe so but they could be redeployed as needed, having Sr mgnt experience you have to deploy resources as per demand, reduce the demand and they can deal with refunds. 

8 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

Viking did the same for three of our neighbors who are all couples and were booked on a cruise that was canceled.  We are going to start looking at a company like them that actually seems to care about its customers and reputation.

Viking River Cruises has not PAID a refund to us for an Elbe cruise scheduled for March 28, 2020 and canceled by them.

Our Citi charge dispute  (prepaid excursions) for $96 was closed in our favor last week.

Our Chase charge dispute for $7,000 is yet to be settled.  

Sorry to go off-topic here, but Viking has problems too.  We have had multiple contacts with them and  received promises to pay on specific dates.   All of the promises were unfulfilled.