Cruise Critic Community
lahore

Refund Status for canceled cruises: Retitled after merges

11 minutes ago, LDVinNC said:

Thank you, but all of this has been covered in the several other threads concerning refunds.

I apologize If that is true but I saw nothing on bankruptcy implications for refunds other than what I wrote.    

21 minutes ago, billco said:

So what happens when I get a refund posted to my CC? If the refund is greater than the balance on the CC then I have a credit. For that to be useful I need to put future purchases on the CC. That won’t help to pay the rent or other bills that require cash or check. At least by filing a dispute I get to put interest and minimum payment on hold for a while.

You can request that any credit balance on your account be sent to you in a check.....call your credit card company.  That does not apply to pending credits due to disputes....but once it's resolved, you can get the money.

32 minutes ago, mthomp5 said:

Thanks for replying.  Same here...option 2, 3/28 departure date.  Received nothing to date.

have you checked on Princess web site to see if you at least have FCC's in your account?  They don't notify you...it just appears.

1 hour ago, dag144 said:

I was booked on the Emerald 4/14 Hawaii cruise.  I chose option 2 on 3/12 when the cancellation notification went out.  No money and just a BS e-mail from Princess since then.  I disputed by charges (down payment, final payment, and an upgrade) on May 13th.  Citibank took the info, took about 10 minutes in total.  Today May 15, I got my credit posted to my credit card.  Easy.  If Princess disputes (on what basis I can't imagine) I have all my documentation.  Life is to short to tolerate such BS from a vendor.  Re the FCC I could care less!

What did you tell Citibank when you went to them to dispute the charges?

sail date 4-11-20/ cancelled 3-5-20 (port fees refunded 3-6-20)  & filed under PVP with Aon; subsequently bounced back to Princess when they cancelled all phase one cruises and agreed to fully reimburse.  Selected option 2 March12 with their indication of 30 day time frame.  4-27-20 filed dispute with Capital One and today 5-15-20 have been told by Princess that  funds have been sent to my credit card (yesterday).  I will believe it when the money shows up!  It may take another two weeks to process or just a couple of days according to bank.

Good luck to all.  No sign of 25% FCC

4 hours ago, dag144 said:

If they go bankrupt, the trust could claw back my refund, but Princess' records are so bad I doubt this will happen.

Do yourselves a favor.  File a dispute so you can get this behind you!

I believe that the bankruptcy trustee would

have a hard time if not an impossible time to clawback the refund.  This is because it would have to be proven that it was a preferential payment within 90 days of bankruptcy filing.  I have a hard time seeing how Princess could make that claim if the money wasn’t theirs to begin with (i.e they were basically holding your money in escrow for a future cruise not that you lent Princess money as some sort of financing transaction).  

But your point remains - waiting around rather than acting now seems to be risky. 

5 hours ago, bobgep said:

a little note to remember, all these cruise lines are foreign corporations, bankruptcy or insolvency will be filed in a distant land, not the US

That’s not accurate.  Foreign corporations can seek and often do seek bankruptcy protection in US courts.  There is a lot of incentive to do so based on the ‘automatic stay’ and Ch. 11 reorganization protections provided by US bankruptcy courts.  

We just got our $120 refund check from the refundable OBC we had left over when we disembarked the Island back on Feb 4th. Yea!!!

42 minutes ago, billco said:

So what happens when I get a refund posted to my CC? If the refund is greater than the balance on the CC then I have a credit. For that to be useful I need to put future purchases on the CC. That won’t help to pay the rent or other bills that require cash or check. At least by filing a dispute I get to put interest and minimum payment on hold for a while.

Almost all credit card companies and banks will issue you a check if you have a surplus credit balance and request it to be paid back to you.  Usually, a simple call will do it.

3 hours ago, BigTimeCruiser said:

If this is in fact true, I suspect that the company will fold and we won't see any funds reimbursed.  If I'm wrong in my assumption, it would be nice for the highly paid executives at Princess to make their intentions known.

Evidently, Princess is not in the business of having their clients best interest at heart or being transparent and honest anymore.

6 hours ago, LDVinNC said:

If they would just TELL the TA's and us what the REAL story is...conflicting answers do not inspire confidence.

Telling the real story might inspire even less confidence

24 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

Almost all credit card companies and banks will issue you a check if you have a surplus credit balance and request it to be paid back to you.  Usually, a simple call will do it.

Thanks. I didn’t know that. First time I have been in that situation.

37 minutes ago, cherylandtk said:

TLDR 🤷‍♀️

LIKE, A LOT.

45 minutes ago, cherylandtk said:

TLDR 🤷‍♀️

Haha, ok.  No one forces you to read anything so don't necessarily see the point.  But in any event, I hope that you read your contracts.  Telling a court that 'too long, didn't read the contract' is rarely effective ;)

Small claims court would be easy to file and be heard but some amounts of refunds exceed the $5000 limit.

1 minute ago, cruzsnooze said:

Small claims court would be easy to file and be heard but some amounts of refunds exceed the $5000 limit.

Actually, many small claims courts across the country have raised their limits to $50,000 and more.  The problem is a question of jurisdiction.  Princess will likely claim that cruise deposits are subject to their terms and conditions which limit remedies and venue.

Finally and perhaps more importantly, a small claims court judgment is relatively worthless in the event of bankruptcy; this is because a party with a judgment of a small claims or any other court is merely an unsecured creditor in bankruptcy and doesn't get paid until all of the banks and other secured creditors are paid in bankruptcy which happens relatively rarely (basically unsecured creditors are up poop creek when bankruptcy rolls around).  If it were my money, I would certainly go the credit card chargeback route if available over a court claim at this point.

1 hour ago, npcl said:

Telling the real story might inspire even less confidence

Yeah, you may have a point!

1 hour ago, PCWalton1 said:

What did you tell Citibank when you went to them to dispute the charges?

I filed a CC dispute with Citi.  I simply told them we had a cruise planned and of course it did not happen.  They asked a few questions and did whatever they do to enter the dispute.  I had 4 charges (deposit on 1 cruise, partial fares on 2 cruises, and an air upgrade charge) at different times.  Two days later the largest provisional credit showed up and I hope to see the others tomorrow.  It was easy.

I told Citibank that I have been waiting over 60 days or a refund that Princess cancelled.  My dispute was entered by Citi and I received a provisional credit in two days.  Simple

If you go the small claims route, you must file in California.  It's in the small print in the cruise contract.

6 hours ago, dag144 said:

I filed my dispute with Citibank on May 13th and received the provisional credit today May 15th.  I'm sorry that I got my months mixed up.  I waited 60 days plus to file my dispute and Citibank handled it quickly and efficiently.

What did you tell them when you filed the dispute? I have a May 2nd Royal Princess cruise that I filed on March 16th for option 2 (refund). May 5th Princess sends me a letter again offering extra FCC and stating if I still want a refund do nothing till May 31 so they are essentially resetting the clock. My payments were on my debt card on Feb 25th 2019, November 25, 2019 and January 6, 2020. I want to dispute all three as I have no confidence they will ever pay. I strongly feel they will file for bankruptcy and we will all be SOL. 

46 minutes ago, SCOOTERNINJA said:

in the event of bankruptcy; 

Whom do you think will declare bankruptcy.

This is a Princess forum...Princess cannot declare bankruptcy.

10 hours ago, Coral said:

In the US - it is kept in a holding account for future cruises (for example, FCC can't go towards future taxes).. You can contact your TA to have it refunded.

Thanks  Yes our TA has noted that they will do the refund but not happened yet

3 hours ago, SCOOTERNINJA said:

What happens to those cruise deposits for now cancelled cruises? This is certainly a question that appears to be pondered on here quite a bit.  From the stories - few appear to be receiving refunds.  Perhaps those complaining on here about having yet to receive their refunds just happen to be the small minority of people that slipped through the cracks by no fault of Princess.  But the skeptic and realist in me finds that doubtful.

So what is the best way to receive a refund?  Certainly you can put blind faith trust in Princess - - after all you had a nice prior cruise with them and really enjoyed the Friday desert so surely they will do the right thing. 

For those unwilling to believe that Princess will undoubtedly perform and refund the money with all of the perks that they promise - there may be the option of the 'Credit Card Dispute' process.   This is where a credit card company/bank basically overturns a sale on behalf of the cardholder and refunds the cardholder's money.  Often and under many cards, this should be a relatively smooth process if the cardholder can prove that they paid for a service that was ultimately not delivered (i.e. such as paying for a cruise that never takes place).  More information can be obtained here:  https://chargebacks911.com/credit-card-dispute/ and on many other sites.  Certainly, everyone should be familiar with their particular bank/credit card and the various terms and conditions. If you aren't, a simple call to a representative at said company should be beneficial.

But how long do I have to file a chargeback dispute?  Once again, this is relatively important and you should contact your bank/credit card company should you have any questions on your individual contract with them.  But what may be concerning is what happens if the company files bankruptcy?  Some banks/card companies have recently limited chargeback coverage for the 'financial insolvency of a travel supplier.'   See article here:  https://thepointsguy.com/news/chase-trip-cancellation-interruption-changes/ . So if a cruise company were to file bankruptcy or announce an 'ability to continue as a going concern,' this potentially could be the financial insolvency in which a card issuer declines to provide coverage.  Once again, everyone should review and be up to date on the terms of their particular card.

What does this all mean?  If you are inclined to go through the credit card process and if you have concerns whether Princess is actually going to issue a timely refund as it has said that it will do or if you are concerned that Princess may go a bankruptcy route, you might want to consider a credit card dispute sooner rather than later.  I am sure that a few thousand bucks of refunded money in your pockets could go a long way in this tough environment.

Here is to hoping you all receive your refunds!  I certainly always take what a company with cash flow problems tells me with a grain of salt.

Thanks for a nice and accurate summary......the Princess cheerleaders might not agree but thanks again!!!