Jump to content

Where do all the ships go for 30 days


Recommended Posts

Currently on Freedom. We were supposed to disembark in San Juan yesterday but apparently Puerto Rico closed the port to all cruise ships. We are currently making our way to Miami where we have been assured that we will be able to dock and disembark. Our waitress told us that the crew has been told the ship will be heading to Bermuda after all the passengers are off.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Blizzard54 said:

It would be interesting to see how many ships Royal can get in one photo.  They may see about doing something before this is all over.  I expect the 30day may well be extended. 

I'm not sure that Royal would want to do that. It would be a record of an unpleasant moment in their history. Mothballed ships. They would rather be sailing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Currently on Freedom. We were supposed to disembark in San Juan yesterday but apparently Puerto Rico closed the port to all cruise ships. We are currently making our way to Miami where we have been assured that we will be able to dock and disembark. Our waitress told us that the crew has been told the ship will be heading to Bermuda after all the passengers are off.

I’m just guessing but I am pretty sure your waitress Bermuda and Bahamas mixed up. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I’m just guessing but I am pretty sure your waitress Bermuda and Bahamas mixed up. 

I thought that odd too. Bermuda is very good at protecting its territory. And why would Freedom go all the way up their anyway? It is a long cruise back to San Juan.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sydney Ports claim Spectrum in Sydney for 6 weeks.

Spectrum Of The Seas 21-Mar-2020 05:00 (Sat) 30-Apr-2020 23:59 (Thu) Athol Bay Anchorage WSS Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd

Radiance is still off Port Kembla

Voyager and Ovation returns tomorrow Wednesday to Sydney. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I imagine that, once they've sanitized every inch of the ship three times over, the crew may get some time off.  Hang by the pool, watch a show (if entertainment staff is still onboard??).  If I was the HD, I'd be offering the ability for crew to stay in passenger suites as a some sort of reward.  Why not?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/15/2020 at 6:58 AM, taglovestocruise said:

Radiance of the Seas and Explorer have just cancelled their upcoming dry dock. Allure went into a 58 day $125 million dry dock today, Royal just announced the Allure Amped dry dock will be cut short by 30 days and only propulsion and maintenance issues will be performed.  We are on a B2B on Allure in Oct/Nov. in the Med, some crew members report Allure will cancel Mediterranean sailings and head back home empty. 

Can you add a link to the source of the announcement that radiance dry dock is cancelled 

Edited by Miamia65
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

I imagine that, once they've sanitized every inch of the ship three times over, the crew may get some time off.  Hang by the pool, watch a show (if entertainment staff is still onboard??).  If I was the HD, I'd be offering the ability for crew to stay in passenger suites as a some sort of reward.  Why not?

If you see Chris’ videos they are already starting to get d9me free time.

 

Captain Kate on the Edge gave each crew their own balcony cabin. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not unusual for the crew to bunk in the guest cabins during downtime like dry dock. It looks like they are being well taken care of. Just a question of how long it will last before they are sent home. Even 30 days is a long time to keep them all on the ship with nothing to do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Pratique said:

It's not unusual for the crew to bunk in the guest cabins during downtime like dry dock. It looks like they are being well taken care of. Just a question of how long it will last before they are sent home. Even 30 days is a long time to keep them all on the ship with nothing to do.

In my experience, it is quite unusual for crew to live in passenger cabins during drydock, but contractors will.  Keeping the crew onboard for 30 or more days is better than trying to arrange transportation to places that have travel restrictions, and the airfares, even at the reduced fares for the empty flights, would offset the payroll cost, since they have to fly them back again.

Edited by chengkp75
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

In my experience, it is quite unusual for crew to live in passenger cabins during drydock, but contractors will.  Keeping the crew onboard for 30 or more days is better than trying to arrange transportation to places that have travel restrictions, and the airfares, even at the reduced fares for the empty flights, would offset the payroll cost, since they have to fly them back again.

Guess it depends on the generosity of the Captain? The Oasis crew enjoyed the guest suites during dry dock.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would think the crew would be in guest cabins if for no other reason than to spread out and not live in such close quarters. Interesting that Chris mentioned a daily temperature check. Probably a quite enjoyable time for any crew that isn’t relying on guest tips for income. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/16/2020 at 2:09 PM, Pratique said:

I'm not sure that Royal would want to do that. It would be a record of an unpleasant moment in their history. Mothballed ships. They would rather be sailing.

Would be similar to the Eastern AirLines planes lined up in the desert out west.  So sad.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Three of the O sisters and Mariner at anchor a few miles west of CocoCay - there may be some long boring days ahead for the crew.

Not if they really CLEANED the ship.  We were on Majesty cruise before drydock and a cruise after and tables in bar were just as dirty as before and they told us they were going to clean.  Someone needs to teach them how to clean not give tables, etc. a "lick and a promise."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Royal Caribbean Blog has an updated (as of this morning) list of where all of the ships are currently sitting.

 

Most of the Oasis class are sitting around Coco Cay.

 

 

Edited by Drock20J
Removed Link
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...