Where do all the ships go for 30 days

6 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Just speculating, but I believe it has to do with the USCG order regarding ships in US waters needing evacuations and ships outside the 12 mile range needing to rely on foreign resources.  

It may not be obvious on that pic, but all those ships are more than 12 miles out. I think Empress was at one point within about 20 miles of Havana.

Seems such a shame to have all the magnificent ships just sitting there. With they could do something fun, like race. They could put them on the internet and let us bet on them with proceeds going to out of work crew. Which gets me wondering /tothegooglemachine

Apparently the Harmony is the fastest ship in the fleet. I wouldn't have guessed it... Oasis-class ships aren't exactly sleek. 

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/where-are-all-cruise-ships-now

With over 95% of the world’s oceangoing cruise ships in temporary layup, berthed or at close anchor, and the final few making their way to a safe haven, Seatrade with the help of Informa’s Maritime Intelligence made-to-measure data has drawn up where the vessels are currently located.

US, Caribbean/Bahamas

Using a snapshot of the world’s ocean cruise fleet taken at 11 a.m. on April 14, the data shows just over 100 ships (30% of the fleet) are in US ports and anchorages with another 38 located in the Caribbean/Bahamas. In the US, East Coast ports and waters are temporary homes for 68 ships, West Coast 24 and the Gulf 11.

In the Caribbean/Bahamas, the heaviest concentration of cruise ships is in Bridgetown, Barbados, either berthed or just outside at anchor, and in the Bahamas.

Americas total 167

Adding ships currently located in Central and South American ports or waters, the number in the whole of the Americas totals 167. This equates to 49% of the oceangoing cruise fleet of 1,000gt or greater.

Mediterranean/Europe

Mediterranean ports have 53 cruise ships alongside or at anchor (this includes seven ships in the Canary Islands).

Forty cruise ships are in North European ports and waters

Australasia/South Pacific

Thirty-one vessels are in Australasia and South Pacific.

Asia, Gulf and beyond

Some 26 cruise ships are located in Asian waters with another 13 in the vicinity of Africa, India or Indian Ocean waters or ports.

Nine cruise ships are in the Middle East Gulf. Some are preparing to return to Europe with crew only, like AIDAprima, which is set to depart Dubai this weekend.

• Thanks 1

With Carnival potentially not bringing back their whole fleet when cruising resumes, I assume RCI is thinking the same, so lets ask the expert, @chengkp75 if RCI were to do so, what would be the indication, and where would/could RCI park a ship, say, like Grandeur (which has only one year left in the fleet anyway)?

The RCCL ships seem to be congregating west of Coco Cay again (they were in Florida straight the past few weeks) and this time there's no mingling with other company ships (there were a bunch of HAL ships mixed in with them last month). The dots on the left are all RCCL ships, the ones on the right are all NCL related.

image.png.671786e8c7b28ceed7df5e57ff74f821.png

Edited by Biker19

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

The RCCL ships seem to be congregating west of Coco Cay again (they were in Florida straight the past few weeks) and this time there's no mingling with other company ships (there were a bunch of HAL ships mixed in with them last month). The dots on the left are all RCCL ships, the ones on the right are all NCL related.

image.png.671786e8c7b28ceed7df5e57ff74f821.png

Probably lining them up for a fire sale or auction 

• 2 weeks later...

The ships seem to be a bit closer to CocoCay with Indy looking to maybe even docked there:

image.png.3e28655b6255469e332f9ac7e3f6d1ae.png

It was interesting that there were no other brand ships in the area.

This might be the get together to exchange all the crews before all the ships take off on their crew repatriation sailings.

Edited by Biker19

On 3/13/2020 at 10:54 PM, TennisCaptain said:

Since the majority of all ships are on the seas or in port somewhere, now that so many cruise lines are suspending cruises for so long, where will they put all those ships.

I can not imagine the number for all these lines.  then do the ships sit empty or have minimal crew to maintain??  will they all have a major cleaning ?  will any go to dry docks..

If anyone gets the scoop, would be interesting to know

Maybe they're having races at sea.....  🙂 

I noticed also that the companies are getting their ships together, versus co-mingled. I also saw that Liberty of the Seas is headed to Cococay after hanging out in the Gulf for the suspension period. I'm wondering if they're not gathering crew for repatriation. There was a RUMOR about cruises restarting from Galveston August 1...given that Caribbean ports might not be the most receptive to cruise ships, could they be planning a trial run for a 7-day cruise from Galveston to Cococay, with Cococay being the only port? Majesty of the Seas is also in the Gulf with a destination of Cococay.

Edited by tcfc424
Inclusion

9 hours ago, tcfc424 said:

I noticed also that the companies are getting their ships together, versus co-mingled. I also saw that Liberty of the Seas is headed to Cococay after hanging out in the Gulf for the suspension period. I'm wondering if they're not gathering crew for repatriation. There was a RUMOR about cruises restarting from Galveston August 1...given that Caribbean ports might not be the most receptive to cruise ships, could they be planning a trial run for a 7-day cruise from Galveston to Cococay, with Cococay being the only port? Majesty of the Seas is also in the Gulf with a destination of Cococay.

Carnival announced they are starting Aug 1 with 8 ships sailing from Florida and Galveston.   Royal has not announced anything yet.

On 4/21/2020 at 4:44 PM, Biker19 said:

With Carnival potentially not bringing back their whole fleet when cruising resumes, I assume RCI is thinking the same, so lets ask the expert, @chengkp75 if RCI were to do so, what would be the indication, and where would/could RCI park a ship, say, like Grandeur (which has only one year left in the fleet anyway)?

Better to hear from a reliable source, today's SEC filing:

The Company has taken significant actions to reduce operating expenses during the suspension of its global cruise operations:

·      Significantly reduced ship operating expenses, including crew payroll, food, fuel, insurance and port charges

·      The Company’s ships are currently transitioning into various levels of layup with several ships in the fleet transitioning into cold layup, further reducing operating expenses

6 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Better to hear from a reliable source, today's SEC filing

Right, but that still doesn't say much. Majesty going on a TA might be a better indicator that she might be going on a cold layup than that SEC filing.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Many RCG ships were hanging around Bridgetown for the past 2+ months, but all of a sudden all the ships have moved to the coast off the Guyana/Venezuela border. Any storm seems to be several days out - a bit strange, like they all got evicted.

• Thanks 1

A number of cruise ships are idle at various points around the UK,on the other hand I have been following Quantum Of The Seas which has been doing a very good 'Flying Dutchman' impression,sailing the South China Sea since cruising stopped,rarely staying in one port very long,currently in Manila unless she has moved again in the last day of so!

4 hours ago, snaefell said:

A number of cruise ships are idle at various points around the UK,on the other hand I have been following Quantum Of The Seas which has been doing a very good 'Flying Dutchman' impression,sailing the South China Sea since cruising stopped,rarely staying in one port very long,currently in Manila unless she has moved again in the last day of so!

The OVATION has also been on the move a lot!!! First left Sydney and went around west coast of Australia. Then:

Bali, Singapore, Manila, Singapore, Mumbai, Singapore, Manila, Singapore 3rd time, and recently to Hong Kong.  Wonder where next port.

Anthem went across Atlantic and then to the med and Suez to Mumbai.  All busy returning crew. Hopefully some officers have swapped out.

I think the Quantum ships have moved around the most.

On 7/28/2020 at 2:18 AM, Oceansaway17 said:

The OVATION has also been on the move a lot!!! First left Sydney and went around west coast of Australia. Then:

Bali, Singapore, Manila, Singapore, Mumbai, Singapore, Manila, Singapore 3rd time, and recently to Hong Kong.  Wonder where next port.

Anthem went across Atlantic and then to the med and Suez to Mumbai.  All busy returning crew. Hopefully some officers have swapped out.

I think the Quantum ships have moved around the most.

The RCI ships that were near Australia did this to disembark non-essential crew.  First they swapped crew between ships in Sydney https://www.dailymercury.com.au/news/1300-crew-head-home-as-cruise-ships-depart-nsw/3988939/  and then sailed to different ports depending on which countries crew members onboard were from.  It was a very long and frustrating process for crew members. 

Now they are waiting and they go to ports occasionally to restock/refuel.  

Edited by lucymorgan

17 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

They might start TÁs because Europe is opening up for cruises a bit sooner than the Covid riddled US. 

Pretty unusual to have Malmo, Sweden as the destination for a TA - but of course we are in unusual times. Also, only 3 of the 5 ships are supposed to be in Europe - Encore has sailings scheduled from NY and Bliss from LA when NCL plans to resumes sailings in Nov.

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Pretty unusual to have Malmo, Sweden as the destination for a TA - but of course we are in unusual times. Also, only 3 of the 5 ships are supposed to be in Europe - Encore has sailings scheduled from NY and Bliss from LA when NCL plans to resumes sailings in Nov.

They choose Malmö just because Sweden supports crew changes, similar to Gibraltar, Southampton or Germany. It is not a chosen as starting point for future cruises at this point.

12 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

They choose Malmö just because Sweden supports crew changes, similar to Gibraltar, Southampton or Germany. 

Malmo seems like a really out of the way place to go for a crew change when you could just do it in Southampton. Plus, having 5 ships do TAs for crew changes seems excessive - RCI only did it with two much older/smaller ships and they did it at the beginning of the pandemic.