Jump to content

How do an 87 and 89 year old get home from Freemantle?


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

 

So happy to see this news!

Waiting for the next instalment.  I don’t want to put my iPad down in case I miss an update.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Copper10-8 just called and he HANDED THE PHONE TO MY MOM!
They really are here. She sounds okay and is so grateful for John’s help. 
The plan at this point is for them to fly into Orlando. Waiting for further details once they switch terminals. John is taking them there. ❤️❤️❤️
I also reminded him of the pic. Stay tuned

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kindergirl said:

@Copper10-8 just called and he HANDED THE PHONE TO MY MOM!
They really are here. She sounds okay and is so grateful for John’s help. 
The plan at this point is for them to fly into Orlando. Waiting for further details once they switch terminals. John is taking them there. ❤️❤️❤️
I also reminded him of the pic. Stay tuned

So happy to hear this.  Can’t wait to see the photo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kindergirl said:

@Copper10-8 just called and he HANDED THE PHONE TO MY MOM!
They really are here. She sounds okay and is so grateful for John’s help. 
The plan at this point is for them to fly into Orlando. Waiting for further details once they switch terminals. John is taking them there. ❤️❤️❤️
I also reminded him of the pic. Stay tuned

 

😍🥰❤️Not enough heart emoji's to show how happy I am!!!!  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been following along with the saga....SOOO glad they've landed in the US and are on their way home. We met John (Copper10-8) on one of our Alaska cruises, and he's a gem.  Thanks @Copper10-8 for being such an amazing guy!

 

Hoping the rest of the trip will be non-stressful and they'll be home today!

 

Laura

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Kindergirl said:

@Copper10-8 just called and he HANDED THE PHONE TO MY MOM!
They really are here. She sounds okay and is so grateful for John’s help. 
The plan at this point is for them to fly into Orlando. Waiting for further details once they switch terminals. John is taking them there. ❤️❤️❤️
I also reminded him of the pic. Stay tuned

If they are going to end up flying into orlando it will only be about a 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive from the Tampa area to the Orlando Airport if this is what happens. With everything going on the drive over on I-4 shouldn't be as bad although the triffic does slow down when approaching the Disney area but not likely becasue all the Orlando theme parks are closed. Speed limit is 70 once east of Tampa but most people drive faster than that and its 3 lanes each way. Its easy to go over and back the same day as we have done it a number of times. Think there will be a toll booth you will have to go through to get to the airport as it's off of 528 which is the Bee Line Expressway that goes over to the east coast. But this is awesome news.

Edited by rjbean4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Awesome news; I can only imagine the joyous reunion to take place later today!
 Sorry for the double post; it appeared after several minutes that my first one had not gone through.

 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Edited by ger_77
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rjbean4 said:

Think there will be a toll booth you will have to go through to get to the airport as it's off of 528 which is the Bee Line Expressway that goes over to the east coast. But this is awesome news.

 

Do you know if it's cashless or will she need some money?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, seaoma said:

 

Do you know if it's cashless or will she need some money?

I'm not sure if there are still lanes to pay cash. Most are drive though and billed by lisnese plate or if you have a SunPass transponder. We have one even though we don't drive toll roads or go across the Skyway bridge that often.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

All Florida toll roads have gone to pay-by-plate to avoid person-to-person contact.

OK Thanks. With Our limited use of our transponder I wasn't sure. With these tolls being such small charges in light of it all its not that big of a deal. Oh and  the directions to the airport off of I 4  are well marked and the first exit bast Sea World.

Edited by rjbean4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rjbean4 said:

I'm not sure if there are still lanes to pay cash. Most are drive though and billed by lisnese plate or if you have a SunPass transponder. We have one even though we don't drive toll roads or go across the Skyway bridge that often.

 

We have a transponder also and we don't even live in FL, but we travel there frequently. I'm usually in the TPA area, though, so not familiar with areas around Orlando.

 

My skinflint side doesn't want to receive that letter in the mail.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

All Florida toll roads have gone to pay-by-plate to avoid person-to-person contact.

From Florida's  Sun Pass:

For drivers who typically pay cash: 

  • Keep moving and do not stop at toll booths

  • Drivers will be charged the same cash-rate 

  • Expect a Pay by Plate billing statement to be mailed to the vehicles’ registered owner for tolls, with no additional fees or administrative charges.

  • Option to pay the Pay by Plate bill online using a credit card

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, seaoma said:

 

Do you know if it's cashless or will she need some money?

 

14 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

All Florida toll roads have gone to pay-by-plate to avoid person-to-person contact.


Thank you for answering this before me!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well as it turns out it will be the Sunshine Skyway where the toll will come into play. The new plan, yes I think it is plan V, is Atlanta to Tampa and they get in just after 6:30 tonight. 
John just saw them off and while he has a photo of them, apparently the pic of all three is on my moms ipad. (Yes, she has one but pretty much only takes pics and plays bridge) so I will make sure to post it tomorrow. Meanwhile @Copper10-8 has a photo of the folks by themselves that he took.  I believe he will post that when he can. 
 

What does one do for someone that has gone so far our of their way to help. I can only say thank you so many times before I just sound like a broken record. If John could see into my heart he would see it filled with gratitude and admiration, I just hope he knows. 
 

And of course once we get ourselves out of this mess, dinner in LA is on me.  In fact you all are welcome.  @cccole you and John will be the guests of honour. Given the economic state of things, we may have to eat at McDs though. 😉

 

My cell phone isn’t working well down here but I promise when I get back from Tampa I’ll post about the final leg. 
 

Thank you everyone, this has been such a roller coaster and your kind words and advice along the way made all the difference.

 

I can’t believe the story is almost over....come to think of it, maybe I should keep that thought to myself.  Do they cancel flights from Atlanta to Tampa??? 
 

Don’t answer that! 
 

😉😃🥰❤️

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cat shepard said:

 


Thank you for answering this before me!

Toll roads are kind of scattered in the state. Here in the Tampa area its the Suncoast Parkway and the Skyway Bridge. Even with all that is going on our main useage of our transponder is for the Skyway Bridge and have noticed a increase in SunPass lanes at the toll booths for the bridge. Always a long line of people wanting to pay cash. When I have checked our account on line the tolls have actually been less than if we were paying at the toll booth as we went through. The toll charges are so small to begin with this is the least important thing right now and its also possible to go over to Orlando and back with a full tank of gas .

 

Still waiting for the picture.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

 


Thank you for answering this before me!

 

9 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

From Florida's  Sun Pass:

For drivers who typically pay cash: 

  • Keep moving and do not stop at toll booths

  • Drivers will be charged the same cash-rate 

  • Expect a Pay by Plate billing statement to be mailed to the vehicles’ registered owner for tolls, with no additional fees or administrative charges.

  • Option to pay the Pay by Plate bill online using a credit card

 

Thanks for stopping me from writing a post on how to get and activate a transponder. 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Kindergirl said:

Well as it turns out it will be the Sunshine Skyway where the toll will come into play. The new plan, yes I think it is plan V, is Atlanta to Tampa and they get in just after 6:30 tonight. 
John just saw them off and while he has a photo of them, apparently the pic of all three is on my moms ipad. (Yes, she has one but pretty much only takes pics and plays bridge) so I will make sure to post it tomorrow. Meanwhile @Copper10-8 has a photo of the folks by themselves that he took.  I believe he will post that when he can. 
 

What does one do for someone that has gone so far our of their way to help. I can only say thank you so many times before I just sound like a broken record. If John could see into my heart he would see it filled with gratitude and admiration, I just hope he knows. 
 

And of course once we get ourselves out of this mess, dinner in LA is on me.  In fact you all are welcome.  @cccole you and John will be the guests of honour. Given the economic state of things, we may have to eat at McDs though. 😉

 

My cell phone isn’t working well down here but I promise when I get back from Tampa I’ll post about the final leg. 
 

Thank you everyone, this has been such a roller coaster and your kind words and advice along the way made all the difference.

 

I can’t believe the story is almost over....come to think of it, maybe I should keep that thought to myself.  Do they cancel flights from Atlanta to Tampa??? 
 

Don’t answer that! 
 

😉😃🥰❤️

Well then all for not regarding Orlando. The Skyway toll is cheap and enjoy the view. Then just stay on 275 going across the Howard Franklin Bridge across the bay. Then the exit for the airport as you  come off the bridge on the Tampa side. The traffic has typically become backed up onto the bridge going in that direction but maybe not so much now with so much being closed. Wouldn't hurt to check the traffic on Google maps to be sure. the first hour of parking at the main terminal is free. then I think $4 a hour after that. Park at the main terminal and then just take the elevator down to 3 for arrivals and departures. Delta is airside E.

Edited by rjbean4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2020
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...