How do an 87 and 89 year old get home from Freemantle?

Kindergirl

Seaoma,

There is a Coronavirus tracker here:  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/coronavirus?ocid=spartanntp

Click on US - then your state - then scroll down to see the number of cases by county.  I don't know how often it updates, but it's at least once per day.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, jennaja said:

Seaoma,

There is a Coronavirus tracker here:  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/coronavirus?ocid=spartanntp

Click on US - then your state - then scroll down to see the number of cases by county.  I don't know how often it updates, but it's at least once per day.  

Thanks!  That does have the information I was looking for. I appreciate you posting this.

• Like 2

kinder girl - You truely are an amazing daughter and human being. Copper 10-8  someone earlier mentioned you being an earth angel. What an amazing man. I would truely feel blessed to encounter  the both of you on a cruise some time in the future when this is behind us and we are safe. I only found this thread earlier today and could not stop until the last post. I am feeling so moved and emotional, I have cried a number of times during my read.  You are both such exceptional people who make the world a better place. I pray that your parents soon return to health and everyone stays safe. In all sincerity this really would make an excellent documentary some time in the future. Linda

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Lindagop said:

kinder girl - You truely are an amazing daughter and human being. Copper 10-8  someone earlier mentioned you being an earth angel. What an amazing man. I would truely feel blessed to encounter  the both of you on a cruise some time in the future when this is behind us and we are safe. I only found this thread earlier today and could not stop until the last post. I am feeling so moved and emotional, I have cried a number of times during my read.  You are both such exceptional people who make the world a better place. I pray that your parents soon return to health and everyone stays safe. In all sincerity this really would make an excellent documentary some time in the future. Linda

This is indeed an astonishing story about the goodness of humankind.  Copper stands above all at this point, it's just the most beautiful gesture ... and let's not forget to laud kinder girl for being so bright as to post on Cruise Critic in the first place!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

So Deb, how is your duck tape supply holding up?

Seriously, no need to reply. Just thinking about you folk.

I was just getting ready to post, but that is so much funnier than mine would have been!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Kindergirl. A happy Easter to the three of you. Thought I would pass on this link to Captain Mercer's blog. The Amsterdam  did make it to Durban, South Africa to refuel and provision the ship. Also were able to disembark some South African crew. But there has been a change of plans and the ship is now cruising back across the Indian Ocean en route to Indonesia to disembark crew. Then my guess is that the same sort of thing for the crew from the Philippines. So they are not headed around South Africa to continue en route to Ft. Lauderdale. My guess will be that they eventually go across the Pacific and end up on the west coast at that point. There are other ships that had been around the New Zeland and Australia that are doing this same sort of thing because it has become the only way to get crew home right now. Captain Mercer's entry for April 10th explains everything.

https://captainjonathan.com/

Edited by rjbean4
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am a bit worried that Cathy & Jim have turned the tables on Deb & have her duck-taped to a chair - so they can sneak out.

Deb, do we need to stage a rescue?

Seriously, hoping all is well & you are all catching your breath!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Good morning all, I have to go back and read through the last few days. I’ve taken an internet break, but when I saw that you were worried about the duct tape taking a turn on me I had to come and reassure you that so far we are al duct tape free!

My mom has improved a lot. She is now up making dinner (yes, I’ve tried to take that job away from her but no go).  They are now in good enough shape that if we can sort out a way for her to get groceries (reminder about her tech skills for those who will say “order online”) I think I can head home for now.  We will work on that this week. 
@rjbean4 I did see your post. Thank you for the info and I’ll go check the captain’s blog for updates. 
I hope you all had an alright Easter in these strange times. 

• Like 7

Great to see you Deb - @Kindergirl!

Super news about your Mom & Jim!  Your Mom cooking dinner is a great sign. I wonder if the folk at her favorite grocery store might have some suggestions? Your Mom can not be their only non-tech customer.

Or is there a neighbor she would trust to pick out her produce? One of my neighbors and I take turns getting groceries for a high risk couple on our street . They write down their list. Put it inside a ziploc baggy, and we pick it up from their doorstep.

I pick it up with a disinfectant wipe & wipe it all over - though they have self-isolated so long I am more of a risk to them than they are to me. When I deliver their groceries, I bring them to their door; ring the bell (using a wipe) and go back to my car. Their receipt is in the same baggy as their list. They pick it up with a wipe; write out a check and put it in another baggy - which they leave outside their front door. 

The only downside is that I have the store bag everything in single-use plastic bags, so they can wipe them down with disinfectant before bringing them inside. It sounds cumbersome. And I admit it took me a couple of times to find my rhythm, but now I am pretty good at it. Best of luck solving that issue.

Safe travels back to Canada. Do you think you will have any issue with crossing the border? 

Ann

• Like 2

Good Morning, @Kindergirl!  Glad to read an update! 

I have an idea about the groceries....I realize this may not be possible, since you will be in different countries, but can she call you when she needs to place an order and you do the online part? Publix does participate in Instacart delivery. 

Even better, I also think that if you sign up for the Nextdoor app for your Mom, you may be able to find someone close to her that would be willing to shop for them. You can make contact with them and going forward she would just need to call them for what she needs.

I'm so impressed that they have rebounded so quickly from their trek across the globe, in the midst of a pandemic and chomping at the bit to get back to normal! They are resilient!

• Like 3

Good morning.

I'm so happy to read about how well your mom is improving.

Wishing you a safe drive home, I imagine a most of the highways will be empty.

A lot of things are locked down here in Ontario.  But the LCBO is open! (reduced hours)  And the price of gas is very low, so it should make your return trip cheaper.

Safe home.

• Like 3

There's been several good suggestions for the grocery problem.  My MIL was 92 and recovering at home alone from a broken ankle/car accident.  She shopped at a small grocery (IGA) near her home, so once a week on a set day she would phone her order in, and they would collect and deliver to her home a day later.  She could give them her credit card number over the phone, or alternatively write them a check when they gave her the final amount.  Just another option in case your parent's grocery chain  has it available.  I love that your Mom has taken back the cooking from you.  Boy, can they ever be stubborn!

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

She shopped at a small grocery (IGA) near her home, so once a week on a set day she would phone her order in, and they would collect and deliver to her home a day later.  She could give them her credit card number over the phone,

My Mom did that too, but she was in an assisted living facility at the time. She was basically ordering snacks and sweets, along with some microwave meals. She hated going to the dining room.

It worked for both of us, really, because she could get the unhealthy things she wanted and I didn't have to lecture her on her choices, nor buy the things I didn't want her to have. It might have saved our relationship. LOL 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Kindergirl, what will it be like going back across the border now?

Roy

Canada should be open for/to Canadians. If not, call the Mounties; they always get their man (or, in this case, woman) across 😉

Mountain View Dodge break and enter suspects interrupted ...

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Kindergirl, what will it be like going back across the border now?

Roy

We just returned from our winter in Florida, the drive was the best we have ever had, very light traffic.

All gas stations were open, all rest areas on the highway open  only take out food was available but we did know that before we left Florida.

the border crossing was fast and our agent just told us to repeat after her that we know we had to self isolate for 14 days.

Our agent was amazed that we had done our grocery shopping in the US as we knew we could not go out for 14 days, so if you live alone get your groceries in US before you cross the border.   

All hotels were open as well on our route,

Safe drive.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, go fish 44 said:

Our agent was amazed that we had done our grocery shopping in the US as we knew we could not go out for 14 days, so if you live alone get your groceries in US before you cross the border.   

I was thinking the same thing.  Did they say anything about things you cannot usually take across like fruit or meat?

Roy

12 hours ago, Kindergirl said:

Good morning all, I have to go back and read through the last few days. I’ve taken an internet break, but when I saw that you were worried about the duct tape taking a turn on me I had to come and reassure you that so far we are al duct tape free!

My mom has improved a lot. She is now up making dinner (yes, I’ve tried to take that job away from her but no go).  They are now in good enough shape that if we can sort out a way for her to get groceries (reminder about her tech skills for those who will say “order online”) I think I can head home for now.  We will work on that this week. 
@rjbean4 I did see your post. Thank you for the info and I’ll go check the captain’s blog for updates. 
I hope you all had an alright Easter in these strange times. 

Fantastic news regarding your mom and Jim. The news we all hoped to hear. Same here with my mom (89) with the cooking. Hope neighbors around them can help with the shopping. I know where we are we have great neighbors and have had some offers but I have gone out to do our shopping but just do it as little as possible. Fortunately too there are  5 or less confirmed cases in our zip code and it has stayed that way. The Furthest from home I have been was actually today cause I had to deal with moms car that wouldn't start. We have AAA so I got help to jump it. Then took it to where we take our cars for service which is close by. Put my bike in the back and after dropping it off then rode it back home. Did the same thing to go back and get it and was good that it wasn't the battery. I had been alternating cars (we both actually drive a SUV) to drive when I would go out and it was time for moms to go but when I went to use it, it wouldn't start. Once they charged the battery back up and checked everything moms car was good to go. We are all used to driving more but not right now. It was good to get out on my bike a little bit and didn't notice much of a drop in traffic. The situation though changed today for Hillsborough County as starting tonight its a 9pm - 5am curfew because of people not following the rules and now if caught can be fined or arrested. Also saw they are considering that masks could become manditory. Nothing yet for us in Pinellas as our cases are lower. 

When you head for home be safe and I thought your mom and Jim would want to keep track of where their luggage is. I also found a article via FlightAware today that talks about how United is planning to start to get long haul flights going again. Usually when one starts the others follow so will see if this all happens with what they have planned. Have added the link for anyone interested that wants to read it.

https://simpleflying.com/united-additional-resumptions/

• Like 1

Hi Deb The Prime Minister just announced that those returning to Canada must now have a Self Isolation Plan.  One will need to tell the border agent where you will be self isolating, who will be with you, you have supplies etc.

I have included a link for the North West Territories (not that you’re going there) but it has some info you might be asked. I haven’t found one for the rest of Canada.  Good luck  on the drive home.

https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/efb9196c2b0a4571854a4418f0818f63

Edited by sotiris
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2020 at 5:06 PM, rafinmd said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Did they say anything about things you cannot usually take across like fruit or meat?

Roy, there is no problem taking meats and fruits across the border, if they ask you just need to tell the border agent.  We are cross border shoppers on a regular bases.

• Like 2

Good morning everyone. Thanks for all the messages and great shopping ideas. We have The Visiting Angels coming for a visit today to discuss options. Even if they only do the shopping and errands now, I’m hoping they will find someone they like in case more help is needed on a regular basis. Plus there will be someone to have eyes on them a couple of times a week. My mom’s “I’m fine” is sometimes hard to believe, especially from a distance.

If that doesn’t pan out I will call the store she shops at or look into the other great ideas. Thanks so much. 

Besides doing the errands I pretty much have no purpose here.  My mom once again has everything in control. Tough +++

@rjbean4 thank you for the link. I have shared the captains blog with them as well and they are enjoying it. 

If all goes well today I’m hoping to head home next week (assuming they can start that quickly). I’m hoping my drive and border crossing will be okay. 
@sotiris I appreciate the info about the plan. I do have one but I’m very glad to know I’ll need to share it with them. I’ll check the NWT link. Cheers. Fortunately, my partner is at home and she has the groceries under control, but I too would have wondered about fruit and veggies. I often get asked that and didn’t know they would okay it if you were a regular cross border shopper. She will either quarantine with me if she feels she can work only from home for those two weeks, or we will divide the house and she can bring me meals. 😁

Rest assured I will strictly observe the self isolation. I’m coming from a hotspot and don’t want to get ANYONE sick!

Ill let you know how the visit goes. 
Please stay safe everyone! We need good people like you all to stay healthy!

• Like 7