How do an 87 and 89 year old get home from Freemantle?

Kindergirl

They get home the same way that everyone else does who has a medical emergency or an urgent family or business issue to deal with while on a cruise.

They fly. And if they cannot fly it is hardly the cruise line’s issue.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

I made it over the border with less than an hour to spare!  Apparently my folks had to change their flights but they are still on the same flight path, Perth>Sydney>LAX>Tampa. 
I believe they will arrive here Tuesday, but with the date change it’s a bit confusing. I’m waiting on her call back with flight numbers.
My step dad is American, my mom has her green card and they live in Florida full time, but if I can convince them to return with me, and if I could get them across I’d be thrilled!
Doing nothing is not an option for me, although your advice was sound. Once they return home they won’t be able to go anywhere and will need groceries (if I can find some) etc.
I drove, it’s was definitely quieter than normal on the roads. The gas stations were all open, used a mask and gloves and a toothpick for the buttons, and now I am in Sarasota. Hopefully I’m not sitting here by myself for months, but at least the weather is better.

Given how fast our world is changing, do you think it is likely that by Tuesday they will end up having to stay in LA for a quarantine period?

• Like 7

Kindergirl, Do your parents have help arranged at LAX to get them to their flight for Tampa?  I am sure the airline will provide them help if needed.   They will need to get from the International Terminal to whichever domestic airline they are flying.  Sarasota is indeed a wonderful place to get away from the Canadian winter.  Cherie

• Like 1

@Kindergirl

WoW ! Did you drive all night from Ottawa ? No difficulty or questionning when you crossed the border?

Hopefully, since there was no COVID on board , they won't be required to undergo quarantine after the usual screening .

Good luck to you and happy reunion with your loved ones. 

• Like 1

With the border closed, I doubt that your parents would be allowed into Canada.  If you decide to try, please call before you drive from Florida to Detroit or Buffalo (or where ever you want to cross into Canada).  You are safe in Florida, stay with your parents until things improve.  Best wishes.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cccole said:

Kindergirl, Do your parents have help arranged at LAX to get them to their flight for Tampa?  I am sure the airline will provide them help if needed.   They will need to get from the International Terminal to whichever domestic airline they are flying.  Sarasota is indeed a wonderful place to get away from the Canadian winter.  Cherie

Kindergirl, once you know the arrival time for them for the flight from Sydney to LAX, and their subsequent airline/flt # and time for the flight to Tampa, if interested, I am more than happy make the 30 min drive to LAX, meet up with them outside customs and baggage claim in the Tom Bradley (international) terminal, and drive them to the domestic terminal for that Tampa flt. My gmail is on the bottom of my signature. Just let me know

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Kindergirl, once you know the arrival time for them for the flight from Sydney to LAX, and their subsequent airline/flt # and time for the flight to Tampa, if interested, I am more than happy make the 30 min drive to LAX, meet up with them outside customs and baggage claim in the Tom Bradley (international) terminal, and drive them to the domestic terminal for that Tampa flt. My gmail is on the bottom of my signature. Just let me know

Wow, just wow.  Above and beyond. 👍

• Like 16

13 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

This is so very generous.  Kindergirl, I hope you will take him up on his offer.  If he didn't mean it he would not have offered.  Please graciously accept.  

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

What a generous offer.  Bravo.

• Like 9

This crisis surely brings out the worst -...........and THE BEST in people.

Kudos to you Copper 10-8

Kindergirl - we are all biting our nails to know how this ends - but you have surely done everything you could.

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

You beat me to it Copper10-8.  I live 15 minutes from LAX and was going to offer the same thing if the airlines were not taking charge.  I do know some with access directly to the gates at LAX but not sure about International.  Cherie

Edited by cccole
  • Like 8

You all are great. You know that? I so appreciate the support. 
I got over the border ok but the guard was on edge. He hesitated opening the window and I wondered if he didn’t want to touch my passport. I asked and his reply was, “well, you decided to come here.” Which is absolutely true, it just didn’t fit with what I said.  Ya, people are a bit on edge. But he let me through no problem after I had explained the circumstances.  I crossed at a closer bridge then I usually do and was not even halfway to Watertown when I heard about Trump’s tweet re the border.

it was a close call. 
As I’m scrolling up the page to look at what you all said I see @Copper10-8 generosity again and again. I’m so touched. Who offers to do something like that for a complete stranger???

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Kindergirl said:

As I’m scrolling up the page to look at what you all said I see @Copper10-8 generosity again and again. I’m so touched. Who offers to do something like that for a complete stranger???

I know!!!!  I think about it and tears come to my eyes. Such a kind, kind offer to help someone in your situation. He'll be able to put eyes on your parents and give you some comfort, too.

When I lived away from my family as they aged, it was so nice to have someone tell me they had seen them, because on the phone my family would always tell me they were doing fine, even if they weren't. They didn't want to worry me.

• Like 4

What generosity, both Copper and cccole offering to meet your parents at LAX.  Hopefully everything will go smoothly now, and you will get them back safely.   And you have a day or two to stock up and get ready for them.  Aren't you brave doing that drive in record time!

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Kindergirl said:

@Copper10-8 that is an incredibly kind and generous offer. Truly, I don’t know what to say, except thank you so much! I’ll get back in touch when I hear from them.

if we have more people like you in these crazy times, we will do well. 💕

It's not a prob really! I have to go run some honey-do's but I'll check my gmail when I get back! No rush!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, seaoma said:

The article states that it is late March. If these pax are booked on Qantas, they will get them home.

Yeah I posted this too quickly and had not read it. I just have aviation bloodlines and was quick to pass it on. I hope people on the Amsterdam are able to get off and start their trips home ASAP. Things are changing faster than we can keep up with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ha, ha, Copper 10-8.  Hopefully they are booked on an AA flight and will be taken directly from TBITs to AA without even going outside.  There's not a lot of international travel at the moment so hopefully Kindergirl's parents will not have long waits anywhere.  Cherie  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

I'm not surprised by your offer; you're a real stand-up guy.  Maria's one lucky child bride.

Kindergirl, I'm giving you a big pat on the back for trekking all the way to Sarasota on your own and just squeaking through the border in the nick of time.  Hopefully you'll be able to get some groceries and have everything ready for your parents' arrival.  Best wishes to you from a fellow Canadian.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 5