Jump to content

Official Cancellation Notification


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, LaRue1975 said:

Carnival.com. Hopefully it is not an issue and we can sail comfortably in July and have an awesome time. Right now we are all suffering battle fatigue and no one knows where this is going or how bad it is going to be. We do have until June 25 to cancel, which is hopefully plenty of time see how it sorts out. 
 

If we aren’t able do the cruise in July I have the 4K that was fully refunded to use for a more local vacation for our family to celebrate my daughter’s 40th birthday. We are blessed to live in Southern California so we have lots of options there. Obviously I jumped too quick to cancel and rebook so I am thinking ahead this time and having all the info possible on my options helps.

 

I really appreciate you sharing your expertise, thank you! 
 

 

Lol, let’s call it experience vs expertise.  😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as them giving everyone that cancelled the $600 OBC on a future cruise, I'm not sure but they may be just giving it to those guests who were forced to cancel rather than who chose to.  That's just my guess, I'm by no means any expert.  I waited to cancel to see what was going to happen until I was closer to the cruise date.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HillBilly Bob said:

Really feeling bad for the out of work staff....since they are contract workers they won't be able to draw any unemployment.   Let's hope CCL houses and feeds them on hiatus since none of them can afford to fly home and then return to the ship.   ....if they would be allowed to fly home.  

 

That is an interesting question I posted on Disqus (Galveston Cruise Cam board).  Someone there seems to think that they are keeping the ships fully staffed during the hiatus.  Would they really do that?

 

I am not familiar with cruise line contracts, but I am sure that they have a Force Majeure clause to protect them.  But, I also have heard that their contracts include transportation to and from the "home" port of the contracted worker.

 

It may just be impossible to actually fly many of the crew to their "home" port, as airlines are likely not going to resume flights to many Asian destinations any time soon.

 

It's going to be insane keeping the ships fueled while at anchor, or pierside if they are lucky enough to get a berth somewhere (like the Vista, in Galveston right now).  What about replenishing water and other foodstuffs?  Don't they have to be in deeper water than anchorage depth to run the distillation plants?

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, DryCreek said:

That is an interesting question I posted on Disqus (Galveston Cruise Cam board).  Someone there seems to think that they are keeping the ships fully staffed during the hiatus.  Would they really do that?

 

I am not familiar with cruise line contracts, but I am sure that they have a Force Majeure clause to protect them.  But, I also have heard that their contracts include transportation to and from the "home" port of the contracted worker.

 

It may just be impossible to actually fly many of the crew to their "home" port, as airlines are likely not going to resume flights to many Asian destinations any time soon.

 

It's going to be insane keeping the ships fueled while at anchor, or pierside if they are lucky enough to get a berth somewhere (like the Vista, in Galveston right now).  What about replenishing water and other foodstuffs?  Don't they have to be in deeper water than anchorage depth to run the distillation plants?

You express many of the things that I have been thinking about.

 

As you aptly pointed out, there are more ships than there are berths.  Take Long Beach for example, one berth for 3 ships.  I expect that the ships will rotate in and out to re-provision. 

 

I would expect that all crew and staff would be held on the ship for at least 14 days to make certain that they are not COVID-19 positive before they disembark.  At that point all crew and staff whose contract has ended or will end by 4/10 will probably be released to go home, if they can even get flights home.  They may even release other crew whose contracts will expire shortly after 4/10 since when things start to ramp back up the ships will probably not be sailing near capacity and fewer service workers will be needed.  Some crew and staff may want to extend their contracts (e.g.officers from Italy) since they are probably safer on the ship than at home.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LaRue1975 said:

A week ago Friday I cancelled my 4-4 cruise and rebooked it for 7-25. I am wondering if it will be possible for those like you and me that cancelled and rescheduled before Carnival cancelled our cruises would be eligible for the $600 OBC. It doesn’t seem right that we lose out because we were pro-active and saw the seriousness of the Coronavirus situation before Carnival did. 

 

It is not a break for me, conditions at the time will be the determining factor in deciding to cruise or reschedule again. The $600 OBC would help with that decision, lol! Has anyone with a PVP inquired about this? I don’t have one and won’t call Carnival, they are swamped I’m sure! 

 


 

 

 

We were set to sail today, but canceled last Friday. I called again today to see about a missing refund of things we ordered for our cabin, and asked about the OBC offer. Nope. I received a flat-out “you canceled on your own. No obc”. Rats. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TomCruise48 said:

As you aptly pointed out, there are more ships than there are berths.  Take Long Beach for example, one berth for 3 ships.  I expect that the ships will rotate in and out to re-provision. 

Galveston has two berths that they share between five ships (Two RCI and Three Carnival).

What's even more challenging is that when there are no cruise ships using those berths, they are routinely filled with commercial vessels waiting loadouts or receiving supplies and being inspected.

 

The ports are going to be very crowded here shortly!

 

Hopefully the crew will be allowed to spread out and make use of those guest staterooms while they're not being used by paying passengers.  That would be something a compassionate employer would consider doing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TXcruiser13 said:

We were set to sail today, but canceled last Friday. I called again today to see about a missing refund of things we ordered for our cabin, and asked about the OBC offer. Nope. I received a flat-out “you canceled on your own. No obc”. Rats. 

Yep, rats it is! I had two cabins so that would have been another $600 for my daughter and family, we planned to celebrate her 40th birthday which was during the cruise. At the time I cancelled it seemed unlikely the cruise would be cancelled and I was anxious to rebook for summer while the prices were reasonable. Even though I knew I was going to cancel (I have a 90 year old mother I take care of) and rebook I could have waited, oh well, water or should I say $1200 under the bridge, ouch! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cvonscpa said:

As far as them giving everyone that cancelled the $600 OBC on a future cruise, I'm not sure but they may be just giving it to those guests who were forced to cancel rather than who chose to.  That's just my guess, I'm by no means any expert.  I waited to cancel to see what was going to happen until I was closer to the cruise date.  

That was the smart thing to do. 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone canceled that had a casino rate yet? Im trying to move my booking that was next sat to july and im trying to find out if I should try and call the casino directly. Also another person who had a casino rate told me that she called yesterday and they offered her nothing (she said John Heald got back to her and said they were looking into it)

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LaRue1975 said:

Yep, rats it is! I had two cabins so that would have been another $600 for my daughter and family, we planned to celebrate her 40th birthday which was during the cruise. At the time I cancelled it seemed unlikely the cruise would be cancelled and I was anxious to rebook for summer while the prices were reasonable. Even though I knew I was going to cancel (I have a 90 year old mother I take care of) and rebook I could have waited, oh well, water or should I say $1200 under the bridge, ouch! 

We had 3 cabins booked, so a total of $1,800 for our next cruise.  That will buy me a few drinks and send the kids to the trampoline park a couple of times.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, cvonscpa said:

We had 3 cabins booked, so a total of $1,800 for our next cruise.  That will buy me a few drinks and send the kids to the trampoline park a couple of times.  

Thank you for rubbing that in but truly I am happy for you. Still trying to get over the sting I didn’t do the same. Enjoy your cruise as I will mine! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DryCreek said:

Hopefully the crew will be allowed to spread out and make use of those guest staterooms while they're not being used by paying passengers.  That would be something a compassionate employer would consider doing.

That would be a smart thing to do.  Spread out and lower chances of spreading infection.  Out of their 26 ships, it is likely that at least one crew member has contracted COVID-19.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TomCruise48 said:

That would be a smart thing to do.  Spread out and lower chances of spreading infection.  Out of their 26 ships, it is likely that at least one crew member has contracted COVID-19.

 

I have been worried about the crew all through this.  During shut downs innocent and blameless employees often bear horrible consequences.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Supposed to have been boarding today, just got the here’s your boarding pass reminder email. I’m sure they’re swamped trying to cancel stuff, because the cruise still shows in my cruises. Ouch. This whole thing sucks. It feels like a bad joke. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ginger123snaps said:

Hmmmm We were suppose to set sail yesterday 3/14/2020.  We cancelled the cruise this past Monday...within the same sail week.  I wonder if they would still give us a full refund instead of FCC?

 

I would bet no

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mbarker10 said:

Supposed to have been boarding today, just got the here’s your boarding pass reminder email. I’m sure they’re swamped trying to cancel stuff, because the cruise still shows in my cruises. Ouch. This whole thing sucks. It feels like a bad joke. 

It sure does

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

 

I have been worried about the crew all through this.  During shut downs innocent and blameless employees often bear horrible consequences.

Been at the top of my prayer list for a long time.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, mbarker10 said:

Supposed to have been boarding today, just got the here’s your boarding pass reminder email. I’m sure they’re swamped trying to cancel stuff, because the cruise still shows in my cruises. Ouch. This whole thing sucks. It feels like a bad joke. 

Yes they are going to be busy for weeks trying to fix everyone’s accounts 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Roadie90 said:

I posted this elsewhere. But carnival twitter said people that cancelled after 3/1 but before new FCC/refund offer can get new offer:

 

 

39EF3814-E0CA-4939-B251-8FC86E2DCE12.png

 

This is incredibly generous, if true.

 

Twitter sure isn't the way for a responsible company to make official announcements.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bury me at sea said:

 

This is incredibly generous, if true.

 

Twitter sure isn't the way for a responsible company to make official announcements.

The worse part is that this was not officially announced via an actual posting from them. It was a reply to a question! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...