Ships

GREG781

With all of the cruise cancellations, are the ships just going to sail around off shore for a month, or perhaps sail somewhere outside US to dock until the cruises resume? Just curious of what everyone thinks.

14 minutes ago, kenb said:

They will be docking in their home port at the end of their scheduled cruise.

or possibly anchored off-shore because there isn't enough room at all of the dock for all of the ships.  Perhaps some will sail to alternate ports where dock space maybe available.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

or possibly anchored off-shore because there isn't enough room at all of the dock for all of the ships.  Perhaps some will sail to alternate ports where dock space maybe available.

That is what I was thinking! Time will tell!

It will be interesting to see what they do with the crew.   If they really intend to start in 30 days, you probably should keep them on the ship.  If you send them home, they may not be able to return, at least without a 2 week quarantine.  If you think it will be longer than 30 days, perhaps you send them home and then deal with the staffing issue in a couple of months.

1 minute ago, ipeeinthepool said:

It will be interesting to see what they do with the crew.   If they really intend to start in 30 days, you probably should keep them on the ship.  If you send them home, they may not be able to return, at least without a 2 week quarantine.  If you think it will be longer than 30 days, perhaps you send them home and then deal with the staffing issue in a couple of months.

Very good points.  I think in 30 days time unfortunately the pandemic will not be really over and many experts are now thinking it will be June at the earliest.  But this will vary widely by region of the world.

29 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

It will be interesting to see what they do with the crew.

According to a crew member I spoke with when we returned from our cruise on March 7th, they will remain with the ship in the event of a suspension of operation.  Of course, this was projecting into the future as the cruise lines had not suspended operation at the time of our conversation.  

51 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Crew, contract and corporate, will be working their tails off to make the ship ready for sailing again.  Just because passengers get off doesn't imply that work on a ship comes to a halt.

Edited by Ride-The-Waves

57 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Seriously doubt they will be parked off shore, they are already losing money, I'm sure they don't want to spend more money on fuel.  My guess is they will all  go to their homeports. 

As others have said, I don't see how there is room for ALL ships in the port at once.  

Port of Miami is waiving docking fees.  But as has been mentioned, not enough space there for ell that homeport there.  Watching the ships leaving FLL and MIA, some say Nassau.  I saw NCL Sky showing Jacksonville as her distination.  Jacksonville?  She never goes there.  And Ecstasy is there now.  EM

MarineTraffic shows Infinity and Equinox heading to Freeport after dropping off their passengers today at Miami and Ft Lauderdale, respectively.

Tomorrow Eclipse (San Antonio, Chile), Edge (Ft Lauderdale), and Silhouette (Ft Lauderdale) will be pulling into port to disembark.

Edited by mahdnc