Canada postponing cruising until after 7/31

BND

8 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Bermuda is way out of the way as a foreign port just to go to New England.

4 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

More likely it will be a Cape Liberty to King's Wharf cruise instead. But just guessing.

I did an 8 day Enchantment sailing (out of Baltimore, I think in 2011?) that did Bermuda over night, Boston and RI.

Anyways, I feel Cape Liberty/New York will not be able to stay open under current circumstances. The next few days will be tell tale I assume.

The west coast has bigger issues than Canada closing the ports - Washington state wont have cruising for a while so where are they going to??

East Coast - we are nowhere close to the end of this. This is the first shoe to drop. Wait until Bermuda closes their port and every small Island refuses docking of ships. Doesn't matter if our ports are open - there will be nowhere to go. Its time to see where we are going....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Bermuda is way out of the way as a foreign port just to go to New England.

Not that far away.  My friend  was booked on a June  Regent cruise leaving Montreal with a stop in Bermuda before returning to NY.  They have already canceled, so a non issue for them, but I have a Canada/NE cruise for June on Empress OTS.  I'm not interested in Bermuda - been there, done that several times.

Edited by mek

How long do we think it is going to take for RCI to announce what they are doing about Alaska cruises?

It sure would be nice to know so I can change my airfare in May and fly directly to my planned post cruise destination if need be (which I suspect it will be)

4 hours ago, M&A said:

Maybe not if they decide to change the itinerary and have extra stops or extra days in places like Bar Harbor, Portland, Boston etc  Or just cruising the St Lawrence and Saguenay rivers without a Canadian port stop.

You have to have one foreign port as required by the Jones Act. I am hoping that they still DOCK in CA without people getting off.

3 hours ago, RETNAVY1996 said:

As we did in the Navy, just drill holes in the water and come back to the same port.  Don’t think that is against PVSA.   Does make me wonder about our 3 July cruise.

My DH is retired Navy.  Lots of circles in the Caribbean and off the east coast.

We are booked on the June 26 sailing of the ovation. We dock in Victoria on July 2, so we technically could be okay... but who knows. Final payment due next week. I know we could get the FCC, but still a tough call. 

This is going to create havoc for first part of the Alaska season.  No ships over 500 pax can dock in Canada until July.

By David Swanson
March 13, 2020
2:47 PM

Canada will close its ports to vessels carrying more than 500 passengers, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Friday, and that will affect at least part of the prime Alaska cruise season.

“Cruise season is suspended until July,” Trudeau said in a public address.

Most Alaskan cruises depart from U.S. ports, but laws require all ships flying a foreign flag — and that is most cruise ships — to call on a foreign port before returning to a port in the country of origin.

This means Alaskan cruises embarking from a U.S. port must stop in a foreign port — usually Vancouver or Victoria in Canada — to comply with what are known as “cabotage” laws. Outside of Canada, the closest foreign port for an Alaskan cruise is Ensenada, Mexico.

Since yesterday 3/13 Canada will close its ports because of coronavirus may end Alaska big ship cruises over 500 passengers until July.  What will happen to all the Alaskan cruises?  We have ours June 12th?  Los Angels Times/USA Today

7 minutes ago, newcruser13 said:

Since yesterday 3/13 Canada will close its ports because of coronavirus may end Alaska big ship cruises over 500 passengers until July.  What will happen to all the Alaskan cruises?  We have ours June 12th?  Los Angels Times/USA Today

It means if your ship has over 500 passengers, and goes to Canada, the Canadian ports will be closed to it.  Will definitely impact the the ships as they won't be able to stop in Canada to get that "foreign port" requirement out of the way.  Maybe the U.S. govt. will waive that stupid requirement.  Otherwise, I'm guessing all Alaska cruises will be cancelled until Canada opens up again. 

Edited by papaflamingo

1 minute ago, newcruser13 said:

We start out in Vancouver!

Not anymore.  😞. Probably the cruise will be cancelled.  But Canada may change it's mind in a month or so if this thing starts showing some diminishing in warmer weather.  

Edited by papaflamingo

52 minutes ago, newcruser13 said:

Closed until July 1, not July 31 as your thread title indicates 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Plum Happy said:

Seattle's cruise port is closed until July 1st.  That leaves at least 10 weeks of sailing out of Seattle even less out of Vancouver.

Do you have a link or source for this, can’t seem to find it.  I did see the first 2 cruises out of Seattle are cancelled in April but can’t find anything that says until July 1st.  

Thanks

15 minutes ago, JeffT237 said:

Do you have a link or source for this, can’t seem to find it.  I did see the first 2 cruises out of Seattle are cancelled in April but can’t find anything that says until July 1st.  

Thanks

https://crosscut.com/2020/03/coronavirus-pauses-seattles-cruise-season

Edited by Plum Happy

1 hour ago, newcruser13 said:

they postponed cruising until July 1.  It is closed through the end of June.