How long until next cancellations?

az_tchr

21 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Sorry, don't agree with you about Princess. They of all the cruise lines had to shut down, as they had very large outbreaks of Covid19 on 2 ships. There will probably be many, many lawsuits coming due to the circumstances involved. It will be interesting to see if they survive this.

We just arrived home from our Silhouette cruise.  We have already been notified by our government health services that there was a confirmed Corona case on board the ship on the previous voyage.  Not a whisper from Celebrity.

There were some strange events that took place from the outset.

Two hours into the cruise we had a medical evacuation

The next morning we found ourselves in Miami with the police onboard.

The third day we had to return to Miami for a "medical emergency" which involved two people walking off the ship taking selfies...

Now we are in quarantine because we may have been affected..

No clarity with Celebrity from my point of view..

This was the first of a B2B2B cruise.. we may get FCC with the rider that we must get a doctor's note to cruise...

In our 70's I doubt that we can even find a doctor who would sign that..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Carole2313 said:

My cruise is supposed to start Apr 14, 2020 in Auckland, NZ.  Prime Ministers in NZ, OZ and French Polynesia have banned cruise ships until June 30.  Our cruise is still selling cabins.  Makes no sense.

Yes, we are booked on that cruise and the two after that, to end in Vancouver.  I think it's pretty clear that all 3 will be cancelled.......but it's very hard to be in a state of limbo, with so much left unresolved.  We will wait for Celebrity to cancel so that we can get our cash back - not excited about FCC in these tenuous times - and we are so close to being Zenith, lol, hoping things don't go under before we hit that mark!  Least of our worries, I know, I'm just trying to chuckle during these days of so much up in the air.  We have already cancelled all of our flights and hotels and excursions we'd booked on our own.  Now, just waiting for Celebrity to cancel.

• Like 1

Argo, when I saw you had posted on this thread I eagerly opened, thinking, "if anyone knows what's going on, he will." How disappointing to hear that Celebrity's most valuable customer was in limbo like that! We are in the US, eagerly waiting for them to cancel our 4/13 Apex cruise out of Southampton since every port is now closed, and I'm now discouraged that we will get a timely update. I know we have CWC, but if they cancel we get more credit, plus it gives us certainty.

Since they aren't giving the 125% FCC to people who accept CWC before they cancel a cruise, it makes no sense to cancel now, even though I know we're not going to be able to go. Frustrating situation all around.

I sincerely hope you and your wife have no ill effects from your latest cruise!

• Like 2

On 3/15/2020 at 4:51 PM, dutchclogs said:

Least of potential problems, but does anyone know what happens to obc from having booked on board if X cancels? Is this also forfeited or would this be retained with fcc?

I can only share my experience regarding OBC but the short answer is that OBC is forfeited.

When our Millennium Hong Kong to Shanghai cruise was cancelled we were reimbursed every penny of our cash outlay for the cruise but the stockpile of OBC that we accrued through intermittent cruise fare reductions under the best price guarantee were not transferrable to our rebooked cruise on Apex out of Southampton (which is looking more and more doubtful).

I am beginning to develop a complex as my cruise selections get foiled by that virus!

1 hour ago, 2onboardagain said:

I can only share my experience regarding OBC but the short answer is that OBC is forfeited.

When our Millennium Hong Kong to Shanghai cruise was cancelled we were reimbursed every penny of our cash outlay for the cruise but the stockpile of OBC that we accrued through intermittent cruise fare reductions under the best price guarantee were not transferrable to our rebooked cruise on Apex out of Southampton (which is looking more and more doubtful).

I am beginning to develop a complex as my cruise selections get foiled by that virus!

Well here's "the longer answer".

I am aware that some OBC will be forfeited, those given as part of the sales promotions for one, however, it remains to be seen if they will take away all OBC. For instance, we have OBC from family purchased gifts, X compensation for a "problem" encountered on a previous cruise, etc. As far as I'm concerned, those are MINE, not X's to dispose of.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, sippican said:

X compensation for a "problem" encountered on a previous cruise, etc. As far as I'm concerned, those are MINE, not X's to dispose of.

We have the same situation and agree completely.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sippican said:

Well here's "the longer answer".

I am aware that some OBC will be forfeited, those given as part of the sales promotions for one, however, it remains to be seen if they will take away all OBC. For instance, we have OBC from family purchased gifts, X compensation for a "problem" encountered on a previous cruise, etc. As far as I'm concerned, those are MINE, not X's to dispose of.

47 minutes ago, jerryd1 said:

+1. Our May 2020 sailing has additional OBC offered by Celebrity due to a number of issues that occurred when the reservation was transferred to our TA. It'd be great if it weren't forfeited but I'm not optimistic.

3 hours ago, Argo. said:

We just arrived home from our Silhouette cruise.  We have already been notified by our government health services that there was a confirmed Corona case on board the ship on the previous voyage.  Not a whisper from Celebrity.

There were some strange events that took place from the outset.

Two hours into the cruise we had a medical evacuation

The next morning we found ourselves in Miami with the police onboard.

The third day we had to return to Miami for a "medical emergency" which involved two people walking off the ship taking selfies...

Now we are in quarantine because we may have been affected..

No clarity with Celebrity from my point of view..

This was the first of a B2B2B cruise.. we may get FCC with the rider that we must get a doctor's note to cruise...

In our 70's I doubt that we can even find a doctor who would sign that..

I agree about the form.  No doctor in his or her right mind would sign that.  Plus, it's only really valid for the date it's signed.  If Celebrity and other cruiselines continue with this ridiculous requirement, they will find themselves with many empty cabins.

54 minutes ago, jerryd1 said:

Ditto.  I believe somewhere in Celebrity's current posts about the crisis, they state that FCCs from a previous cruise will be updated to a different expiration date.  As the holder of about $1,000 of these tied up in current cruises which will surely be cancelled, I am keenly interested in this issue.

Celebrity has states that if you have a FCC that was presented to you by Celebrity for what ever reason(we have $600 from onboard issues applied to a cruise that will probably get cancelled) they will reissue that to you with a longer cancellation date for you to use.  See below from the X website

Q: If guests have a Future Cruise Certificate (FCC) that was applied to a sailing we canceled, will the same Cruise with Confidence guidelines apply when booking their new cruise?

A: The previous Future Cruise Credit will be reinstated with the previous amount used with the original expiration date or extend the expiration date to October 31, 2020, whichever is further out. If the FCC would now be expired, it will be extended to October 31, 2020. This FCC must be used, and guests must sail by, October 31, 2020. Once re-activated, it can be combined with the Cruise with Confidence certificate on the new booking.

I'm am due to sail on July 4th. My balance is due soon. I am willing to go if things have improved by 2 weeks before, but not to pay the balance until then. I don't want to have a FCC which I can't use if the company goes bust, or I am unfit to travel next year.

1 hour ago, Captain Rob said:

I'm am due to sail on July 4th. My balance is due soon. I am willing to go if things have improved by 2 weeks before, but not to pay the balance until then. I don't want to have a FCC which I can't use if the company goes bust, or I am unfit to travel next year.

Good luck with that.  

5 hours ago, lexmiller said:

Yes, we are booked on that cruise and the two after that, to end in Vancouver.  I think it's pretty clear that all 3 will be cancelled.......but it's very hard to be in a state of limbo, with so much left unresolved.  We will wait for Celebrity to cancel so that we can get our cash back - not excited about FCC in these tenuous times - and we are so close to being Zenith, lol, hoping things don't go under before we hit that mark!  Least of our worries, I know, I'm just trying to chuckle during these days of so much up in the air.  We have already cancelled all of our flights and hotels and excursions we'd booked on our own.  Now, just waiting for Celebrity to cancel.

I posed the following on our May 11 Solstice roll call:

Yesterday's press release from RCL is the first time I've seen reference to port closures which forces RCL to cancel 2 cruises beyond April 11, 2020.

https://presscenter.rclcorporate.com/press-release/87/spectrum-of-the-seas-and-jewel-of-the-seas-update/

So far nothing similar from Celebrity.

• Thanks 1

Identify those sailings whose ports will be closed after the 11th April, and therefore have nowhere to call into, and notify those passengers as RCCL appear to have done and cancel the sailing.

By after 11th April, I mean within the time frame of the sailing. A number of places have made clear how long their ports will be shut down. I do not know how many sailings this will impact but presume there must be some, or I may be wrong.

Edited by downsmead
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, UKPete71 said:

What would you like them to say? 

They should at the very least announce cancellation of cruises that include ports which are closed to cruise ships.  Right now they are still selling such cruises on line.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, onyourmark said:

They should at the very least announce cancellation of cruises that include ports which are closed to cruise ships.  Right now they are still selling such cruises on line.

That's what an honest and forthright company would do. Not offering the whole facts is something a desperate one would do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, UKPete71 said:

What would you like them to say? 

Canada has announced that their ports are closed to ships larger than 500 passengers.   Alaska cruises must, by US law, make a stop in a non US  port.      Other ports around the world have said that specific ports are closed for a specific time.   

Celebrity should acknowledge that fact and  they should either cancel/quit selling those cruises or let us know what their plan B is.    I asked Celebrity via chat about this very situation regarding our June 19 Alaska cruise out of Seattle and they indicated that we would probably hear something by the end of this week.    Coincidentally, the end of the week is right after our final payment deadline. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, onyourmark said:

I'm sure they've a lot on their plate already and will be announcing more cancellations in due course.

I'm due to sail on 17 April on Silhouette on its Transatlantic cruise to Southampton via Portugal, Spain and France, but know that it's extremely unlikely it will sail. Would I like Celebrity to tell me now? Yes. Am I getting stressed by it? No. They have a few more weeks to announce it before I need to worry about it.

5 minutes ago, UKPete71 said:

I'm sure they've a lot on their plate already and will be announcing more cancellations in due course.

I'm due to sail on 17 April on Silhouette on its Transatlantic cruise to Southampton via Portugal, Spain and France, but know that it's extremely unlikely it will sail. Would I like Celebrity to tell me now? Yes. Am I getting stressed by it? No. They have a few more weeks to announce it before I need to worry about it.

Celebrity is still selling this cruise online.  For example, an Inside GTY for US$ 399.  Is that not misleading the customer, marketing a cruise that is not likely to take place ?  Also flying to/from it may involve 14-day quarantine which is not even mentioned ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, onyourmark said:

Celebrity is still selling this cruise online.  For example, an Inside GTY for US$ 399.  Is that not misleading the customer, marketing a cruise that is not likely to take place ?  Also flying to/from it may involve 14-day quarantine which is not even mentioned ?

At the moment the US cruise restriction is only until 10th April. Could any quarantine be raised by 1 May, when it reaches the UK? Possibly, although unlikely. Just because I can't fly to the US doesn't mean they should cancel now, as there will be plenty of US cruisers on it who won't be quarantined ahead of time. 

15 minutes ago, UKPete71 said:

At the moment the US cruise restriction is only until 10th April. Could any quarantine be raised by 1 May, when it reaches the UK? Possibly, although unlikely. Just because I can't fly to the US doesn't mean they should cancel now, as there will be plenty of US cruisers on it who won't be quarantined ahead of time. 

Have you not seen the UK FCO advice for UK residents not to go anywhere for the next 30 days (with likely extension) which moves the restriction further out than the US version?  Isn't that going to have an effect on your future cruise = no travel insurance and perhaps airlines not flying to US?

1 minute ago, idh2019 said:

Have you not seen the UK FCO advice for UK residents not to go anywhere for the next 30 days (with likely extension) which moves the restriction further out than the US version?  Isn't that going to have an effect on your future cruise = no travel insurance and perhaps airlines not flying to US?

I have. We're 31 days out at the moment. Everything's fluid at the moment and changes daily. You can't expect Celebrity to be making decisions daily as things develop. There will no doubt be another batch of cruises cancelled. There are ships due to sail soon than Silhouette, so when they get pulled I'm sure Silhouette will too.