Cruise Critic Community
Math teacher

March 13 Sky sailing: Who went and what happened?

We were scheduled for the March 13 sailing. On Wednesday afternoon the school board sent out notice that any staff or students going on a cruise had to self quarantine for 14 days after the cruise concluded. This is unpaid leave for staff, excused absences for students. We cancelled in the 13th hour. Actually, when my TA got through, the first agent stated that we were within the 48 hour sailing time and would have to forfeit---that we missed the cut off by an hour. (My stomach dropped.) My TA then transferred over to shore excursions to cancel those for us and get that refund, she then transferred back to cancellations.and the second agent said we could get the FCC. (Oh thank God!) So we cancelled with little choice. I was super depressed as I was really looking forward to this trip and didn't want to cancel, but was forced to by the county. Then last night, the county sent out notice that Spring break was to be extended by a week for students, only. Us teachers have to go back for Professional Developement, (I suspect it will be training on how to do provide Distance Learning to our students in the event that students can't return after the extended week off.) Then last night, I see that the cruise line cancelled all cruises and that any ships out to sea were to return. So, had we not been forced to cancel, we wouldn't have sailed anyway. (But from what I am reading because we did have to cancel, we won't get the 150% FCC that is being offered for the March 13-17 sailings.) Our cancellation notice only included our room rate and the drink package gratuity. I wonder if we will get refunded the $400 in taxes or if we eat that expense. I did have insurance, but doubt that insurance will cover the losses since we cancelled for non-medical reasons.

AND if you have gotten this far in reading my "woes" I am really curious as to what happened at my embarkation since the notice about sailings returning happened at 6 pm. Where people turned away at the port before boarding? Did they board, get a few drinks, report to Muster drill and then shortly there after get told, sorry folks, turning around? (If so, bullet dodged, there!)

Last I saw, NCL Sky departed Miami yesterday headed for Jacksonville. I am thinking maybe this is where NCL will keep the Sky until in comes back in service in April. The cruise lines must be scrambling to determine where they can dock all these ships for the next 4 weeks. 

I think I read somewhere that they got on, had lunch and the muster drill and then had to get off

15 minutes ago, hftmrock said:

I think I read somewhere that they got on, had lunch and the muster drill and then had to get off

I read that is the way it went with the Sun so quite possible it would be similar with the Sky. 

16 minutes ago, hftmrock said:

That happened on The Sun.  Have not heard but could have also happened on The Sky.  Her bow cam says She is heading for Jacksonville.