Nationwide luxury cruise and flights

Hi all.

Canada closed their ports until July 1st so it looks like celebrity will have no choice to cancel my Alaska cruise that is sailing in June.

Now I know why I should have picked my flights through celebrity since I would not have to pay anything since X cancelled the cruise.

I have flights through United to Alaska and Air Canada coming home from Vancouver. My question is will I be able to put a claim in for the flight costs through my travel nsurance.

I had called Nationwide and insure my trip before the cancellation about this question and I got different answers. No one could give me a definitive answer. I would call it a win even if my policy only paid the change fees.

Thanks for any help on this issue.

2 hours ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

My question is will I be able to put a claim in for the flight costs through my travel nsurance.

Yes,,,,

Unless the airline gives you a credit to be used towards a future flight when you cancel the flights. Insurance isn't going to pay out unless there is a financial loss. A future flight credit is not a financial loss in their eyes.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Yes,,,,

Unless the airline gives you a credit to be used towards a future flight when you cancel the flights. Insurance isn't going to pay out unless there is a financial loss. A future flight credit is not a financial loss in their eyes.

Thank you. it's a waiting game because X is probably going to wait to cancel the cruise. Unfortunately this will give the airlines time to offer the credit as good will to customers. Do I have to accept the credit? 

I can always use the credit to apply to Future flights that I am taking in January. 

I am hoping that I could take a cruise in October of this year but I'm not sure if the crisis will be over by that time. 

16 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Yes,,,,

Similar situation - but my cruise was next week and already canceled.  The tricky part is American is waiving change fees if you travel before the end of year.  We have $3,000 in airfare and no plans to use it this year.  Even if we end up using some, we likely won't use it all.  So it is likely we will have a loss eventually (at end of year) - if so it would be at least $600-800 in change fees, if not the whole ticket.

No idea how to handle this.  I've been trying to contact Nationwide - but wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge (understanding that ultimately it will be up to what Nationwide says).....

Mike

42 minutes ago, mandream said:

Similar situation - but my cruise was next week and already canceled.  The tricky part is American is waiving change fees if you travel before the end of year.  We have $3,000 in airfare and no plans to use it this year.  Even if we end up using some, we likely won't use it all.  So it is likely we will have a loss eventually (at end of year) - if so it would be at least $600-800 in change fees, if not the whole ticket.

No idea how to handle this.  I've been trying to contact Nationwide - but wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge (understanding that ultimately it will be up to what Nationwide says).....

Mike

Please post what happens if you talk to Nationwide. Some of our flights were bought with credit card points.. Sadly Travel insurance does not pay out on points. 

I have seen language in some policies that says it will cover “expired, unused tickets”- no other description for what kind of tickets. I’m not sure how that applies to anything.  Maybe it means tickets to attractions or events you didn’t get to attend.

But - If that language is in your policy, ask them if you can file a claim for your expired, unused airline tickets when the clock runs out on them or does the policy clock out, too?

Even if the changes fees had not been waived, I think insurance would have paid them. I’m having trouble accepting that as the only choice if you can’t use the ticket. 

My experience: we cancelled a trip for a covered medical reason. Flight costs went towards a credit with the airline.  Insurance sent a check to cover the change fees. We weren’t able to reschedule and use the credits so when they expired I asked the airline for a document verifying the funds were not used. Sent the info to insurance (same claim number) and received a check for flight credit minus change fee amounts  reimbursed earlier.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am in a similar situation. Booked Alaska cruise for June that was cancelled by Royal Caribbean. Booked airfare separately through American. Requested refund for cruise. I was able to cancel hotels and excursions booked on my own without penalty. American Airlines COVID special cancellation policy is currently running through the end of May. 

I had purchased Nationwide Cruise insurance to cover the entire trip through insuremytrip.  I called Nationwide travel insurance today regarding my airfare options. . They said no coverage for COVID, unless I am specifically ordered to quarantine by my doctor. Shelter in place, pandemic, cancelled cruise, etc. are not covered.  No recourse, unless I have a medical reason to cancel.

I inquired about a claim for itinerary change, which has to occur before the cruise according to the policy. No coverage for this either, as the cruise has to take place in order to make a claim.

Asked about refunding for the cost of the insurance policy. They are not offering refunds, but recommended I contact insuremytrip. Insuremytrip lists on their website policies are non-refundable after the initial review period.

My only recourse will be through the airlines. They have to have at least a 61 minute change or a cancelled flight, in order to get a refund.  I guess I'll wait and see and request a change voucher closer to time of the trip.  

Granted, I've usually just purchased the cruise insurance in case of cancellation for medical or medical evacuation in a foreign country, but cruise insurance has been a disappointment in this case!  

1 hour ago, Breezers said:

I had purchased Nationwide Cruise insurance to cover the entire trip through insuremytrip.  I called Nationwide travel insurance today regarding my airfare options. . They said no coverage for COVID, unless I am specifically ordered to quarantine by my doctor. Shelter in place, pandemic, cancelled cruise, etc. are not covered.  No recourse, unless I have a medical reason to cancel.

Hi Breezers,

If your cruise was cancelled by Royal Caribbean, they should be offering you compensation like a FCC and if your airline  suggest you go back to Nationwide and ask this:

"If I provide proof I am not taking a financial loss, may I change the dates on my policy to cover the future trip?"

As for these: "They said no coverage for COVID, unless I am specifically ordered to quarantine by my doctor. Shelter in place, pandemic, cancelled cruise, etc. are not covered", ask them to show you exactly in the policy wording where it says this. I would be surpised if their policy wording addresses these.

What will be excluded are Governmental Actions which is the underlying reason these trips are being cancelled.

I hope this helps you.

Steve Dasseos

On 3/27/2020 at 9:04 PM, Breezers said:

I am in a similar situation. Booked Alaska cruise for June that was cancelled by Royal Caribbean. Booked airfare separately through American. Requested refund for cruise. I was able to cancel hotels and excursions booked on my own without penalty. American Airlines COVID special cancellation policy is currently running through the end of May. 

I inquired about a claim for itinerary change, which has to occur before the cruise according to the policy. No coverage for this either, as the cruise has to take place in order to make a claim.

Asked about refunding for the cost of the insurance policy. They are not offering refunds, but recommended I contact insuremytrip. Insuremytrip lists on their website policies are non-refundable after the initial review period.

My only recourse will be through the airlines. They have to have at least a 61 minute change or a cancelled flight, in order to get a refund.  I guess I'll wait and see and request a change voucher closer to time of the trip.  

Granted, I've usually just purchased the cruise insurance in case of cancellation for medical or medical evacuation in a foreign country, but cruise insurance has been a disappointment in this case!  

Oh No I purchased my policy last June but I don't think that's going to make a difference.

I was hoping that I could get my money back on my flights. I did not want to take vouchers. 

I thought the cruise was covered as a bundle. I did speak to a insure my trip.rep 2 months ago who of course thought my flights would be reimbursed if my cruise was canceled. 

I can't get to Canada if my cruise doesn't take me there. 

I've used my insurance through my credit cards to get money back much more than I've used my Nationwide policies on my last two cruises.