Jump to content

******MSC - UK CRUISERS ***


Host Carolyn
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 3/22/2021 at 10:58 AM, medic143 said:

Thanks for that. The best I could find was

 

https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/cruise/msc-cruises-weighs-uk-ship-deployment-for-summer

 

and even then I couldn't tell if the CEO was saying the "big ship" was going to do the UK only stuff instead of Magnifica or as well as the Magnifica. Even then with his reference to 21 June it would still be technically possible for the Magnifica to sail her original itinerary, but Norway has a say in that and Ive seen a reference to that fact it doesn't decide that until May.

It's Virtuosa now, all Magnifica 2021 cruises including my May one won't happen as the ship is not coming to the UK this year. Prices are considerably higher on Virtuosa and the MSC web site has the details of compensation for newly cancelled cruises...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Summer cruising looks a little cr£zy doesn't it!? We've held off the date this year (especially seeing some of the prices for just short cruises this summer here!). Weighing it all up....we saw that you can have a 2 week Caribbean Christmas & New Year cruise onboard Seaview starting at £1799 pp.....(even cheaper if youre taking a third discounted person like we are) So thats what we've done! Hoping the extra time means everywhere gets a bit better and these new variants dont cause me to cancel another holiday!? 🤪. As long as we manage to get on the ship without any hitches....we've plumped for the balcony cabin with the whirlpool (bathtub really) on it. So if the poop hits the fan...or we get stranded in there.....I can sit in it to ferment with a view. We actually thought it was pricey initially. But weighing it up against some of the summer prices.....considering its 2 weeks in the Caribbean over Christmas/NY, that we upsold ourselves to the Aurea 'posh bath on a Balcony' pckg with drinks & grats included......and there's extra demand. All that for 3 pers (inc Manch flights) for 3k each is I guess liveable in these weird times! Doesn't seem much availability on the cruise though. Not sure if its demand, or they've not released 'all' the cabins for booking quite yet due to how squiffy things may be. But yeah....either way, come join us for some Chrimble Caribbean sun instead! 🙂

 

cover4.jpg

Edited by BritsAbroad
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BritsAbroad said:

Summer cruising looks a little cr£zy doesn't it!? We've held off the date this year (especially seeing some of the prices for just short cruises this summer here!). Weighing it all up....we saw that you can have a 2 week Caribbean Christmas & New Year cruise onboard Seaview starting at £1799 pp.....(even cheaper if your'e taking a third discounted person like we are) So that's what we've done!

 

We were seriously looking at the Virtuosa all-inclusive 7 nighter on the 26th June, with balcony. Interested mainly to try MSC for the first time but weren't too excited by the Itinerary.

 

Decided not to go and (like you) we opted for a Xmas cruise. Ours is with Marella from the 5th to 26th December '21. Slightly more expensive per person per night than MSC  but FCCs come in handy.

 

We booked our old friendly B&B, (owner lives on site), it's £50 for the room plus breakfast. Dead handy, it's only 5 mins from M23 turnoff and 5 mins from Gatwick Purple Parking. The diet starts ..... tomorrow 🙄

Edited by Bertie Doe
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bertie Doe said:

We were seriously looking at the Virtuosa all-inclusive 7 nighter on the 26th June, with balcony. Interested mainly to try MSC for the first time but weren't too excited by the Itinerary.

 

Decided not to go and (like you) we opted for a Xmas cruise. Ours is with Marella from the 5th to 26th December '21. Slightly more expensive per person per night than MSC  but FCCs come in handy.

 

We booked our old friendly B&B, (owner lives on site), it's £50 for the room plus breakfast. Dead handy, it's only 5 mins from M23 turnoff and 5 mins from Gatwick Purple Parking. The diet starts ..... tomorrow 🙄

Yeah its our first on MSC. And thought we'd give it a go being as they status matched. Quite liked the ports on the one we booked....not one sea day...not even Christmas day. And I know what you mean about the diet.......occasional lockdown takeaway treats.......seemed to have become more than occasional....& have taken their toll! 🙂 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BritsAbroad said:

And I know what you mean about the diet.......occasional lockdown takeaway treats.......seemed to have become more than occasional....& have taken their toll! 🙂 

 

Yep, even avatars have taken a hammering over the last 18 months. I'd like to lose 4 Kg before Xmas but I fear it's going to be a mammoth tusk. 🤐

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/5/2021 at 3:02 PM, Bertie Doe said:

We were seriously looking at the Virtuosa all-inclusive 7 nighter on the 26th June, with balcony. Interested mainly to try MSC for the first time but weren't too excited by the Itinerary.

 

Decided not to go and (like you) we opted for a Xmas cruise. Ours is with Marella from the 5th to 26th December '21. Slightly more expensive per person per night than MSC  but FCCs come in handy.

 

We booked our old friendly B&B, (owner lives on site), it's £50 for the room plus breakfast. Dead handy, it's only 5 mins from M23 turnoff and 5 mins from Gatwick Purple Parking. The diet starts ..... tomorrow 🙄

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are just looking at MSC Virtuosa 29th  June ,we haven’t  cruised with MSC before and thought we would try a short cruise in case it wasn’t to our taste ,as I have read some poor reviews as to food and entertainment .

The great selling point is to be able to sail out  and back  from Liverpool’s majestic waterfront.  Also the UK should be fully out of lockdown by then enabling us to access ports . We will cruise further afield in the autumn if possible .My main worry is MSC are not mandating passengers have had both vaccinations .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi all 

 

a bit of advice. We were due to cruise on the seaview from Rome on July 25th. There’s  me, my wife and two kids in a two bedroom suite and my parents in a balcony.

 

we booked through an agent with a 400 deposit on ours and 200 on my parents.

 

Our payment due date is coming up next month and im not confident the cruise will go ahead. That said if I cancel we lose our deposit. If I pay the full balance I’m tying up 4K I could use for another holiday if the cruise didn’t then go ahead. I’m also concerned that I may book flights which go ahead but the cruise doesn’t. I think we’d all be happy with a credit note toward a future cruise (we’ve got two msc cruises booked in 2022) 

 

any thoughts or ideas much appreciated 


rob

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rdt123 said:

we booked through an agent with a 400 deposit on ours and 200 on my parents.

 

Our payment due date is coming up next month and im not confident the cruise will go ahead. That said if I cancel we lose our deposit. If I pay the full balance I’m tying up 4K I could use for another holiday if the cruise didn’t then go ahead. I’m also concerned that I may book flights which go ahead but the cruise doesn’t. I think we’d all be happy with a credit note toward a future cruise (we’ve got two msc cruises booked in 2022) 

 

If something nasty kills your July cruise, say a new variety of Covid that's difficult to control, then there's a good chance it'll kill off all other cruises.

 

I would pay the balance, if worse thing happens, you'll probably get it enhanced by 25%. As you are aware, flights to Rome via Easyjet are quite cheap, should you have to re-schedule. Regards Paul

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Bertie Doe said:

If something nasty kills your July cruise, say a new variety of Covid that's difficult to control, then there's a good chance it'll kill off all other cruises.

 

I would pay the balance, if worse thing happens, you'll probably get it enhanced by 25%. As you are aware, flights to Rome via Easyjet are quite cheap, should you have to re-schedule. Regards Paul

Thanks - in a bizarre twist I read another thread saying my ship is now cruising Northern Europe for the summer ! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/6/2021 at 7:46 PM, margo2011 said:

We are just looking at MSC Virtuosa 29th  June ,we haven’t  cruised with MSC before and thought we would try a short cruise in case it wasn’t to our taste ,as I have read some poor reviews as to food and entertainment .

The great selling point is to be able to sail out  and back  from Liverpool’s majestic waterfront.  Also the UK should be fully out of lockdown by then enabling us to access ports . We will cruise further afield in the autumn if possible .My main worry is MSC are not mandating passengers have had both vaccinations .

I think those not vaccinated have to have negative PCR test before boarding, which makes it less likely you would catch it from them than the vaccinated ones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rob - we were due to sail in the Med in July & are similarly jittery about final payment.

We’ve now decided to move our booking to one of the Virtuosa sailings so we don’t need to worry about whether we will be able to get to the cruise, whether the ports will accept us etc. 
Obviously the itinerary and likely weather are not comparable (!) but we feel good about the decision as the likelihood of a holiday is much higher and with far fewer worries and chances for change between now and then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/9/2021 at 3:14 PM, stoneman56 said:

I think those not vaccinated have to have negative PCR test before boarding, which makes it less likely you would catch it from them than the vaccinated ones.

Everyone will be tested and have to be negative before boarding regardless off vaccine or not. Those who have not had the jab have to have a PCR test upto 72 hours prior to arriving at the port and have proof in duplicate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Aw shucks. I had a Magnifica package booked with a UK Travel Agent for 23 October. It was basically a repositioning cruise with some good stops, two of which we hadn't explored (El Ferrol & Tangier). Disembarkation was to be at Genoa with a 5 night add on to Lake Garda (3 nights) and Venice (2 nights0 then flight home.

 

Took the agent's call Saturday with a number of offers but none any good as we already have other cruises booked that would be impacted upon if we chose alternatives.

 

Now the fun bit.  When I explained the alternatives weren't any good agent says MSC are 'recommending' that refunds will take approximately 100 days.  Now £500 is neither here nor there in the great scheme of things and even over a year in an interest paying account would only garner £6.25, but it's the principle for me now. 

Just so pleased I paid the deposit with a credit card. 😁

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/10/2021 at 9:26 PM, sidari said:

Everyone will be tested and have to be negative before boarding regardless off vaccine or not. Those who have not had the jab have to have a PCR test upto 72 hours prior to arriving at the port and have proof in duplicate.

If you read MSC's Conditions, it can be a lateral flow or PCR for non-vaccinated passengers and they receive a further test at the port before embarkation, as do vaccinated passengers for that matter 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, lsmall said:

If you read MSC's Conditions, it can be a lateral flow or PCR for non-vaccinated passengers and they receive a further test at the port before embarkation, as do vaccinated passengers for that matter 🙂

As I said in my post, apart from now they have added the Lateral flow test. you still need two copies of the test result.

 

MSC VIRTUOSA – UK SAILINGS
For MSC Virtuosa’ sailings around the British Isles in the upcoming months, we will initially welcome only UK residents of all ages, both vaccinated and unvaccinated. All unvaccinated or partially vaccinated guests (i.e did not receive the full set of vaccine shots) will need to take a PCR (molecular) or antigen (lateral flow) swab test within 72 hours prior to the ship’s departure. The test results certificate must be printed in two copies and presented at the terminal in order to embark on the ship. The test is not required for fully-vaccinated (proof of vaccination needed) or under 2 years old guests. However, as per our stringent MSC Health & Safety protocol, all guests both vaccinated and unvaccinated, will need to undergo some Health and COVID 19 screenings including a COVID 19 swab test, a health questionnaire and a contactless temperature check, before boarding the ship.

Edited by sidari
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/12/2021 at 4:50 PM, Solent Richard said:

Aw shucks. I had a Magnifica package booked with a UK Travel Agent for 23 October. It was basically a repositioning cruise with some good stops, two of which we hadn't explored (El Ferrol & Tangier). Disembarkation was to be at Genoa with a 5 night add on to Lake Garda (3 nights) and Venice (2 nights0 then flight home.

 

Took the agent's call Saturday with a number of offers but none any good as we already have other cruises booked that would be impacted upon if we chose alternatives.

 

Now the fun bit.  When I explained the alternatives weren't any good agent says MSC are 'recommending' that refunds will take approximately 100 days.  Now £500 is neither here nor there in the great scheme of things and even over a year in an interest paying account would only garner £6.25, but it's the principle for me now. 

Just so pleased I paid the deposit with a credit card. 😁

 

I would be changing TA.

I've had 3 cancellations with MSC in 2020 and took the refunds (wish Id took the FCC but too late crying now lol).

 

All 3 of my refunds have been back in my account within 3 weeks. OK so my TA took a bit of "encouraging" but if MSC were that bad we'd never have got the money back that quickly.

 

I now just book direct with whichever cruiseline as the past year has shown the problems many have experienced when there's a "middle man" involved.

 

As you have done though, always pay at least a £100 deposit on a credit card so your whole booking is covered under S75.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/13/2021 at 10:52 AM, sidari said:

As I said in my post, apart from now they have added the Lateral flow test. you still need two copies of the test result.

 

MSC VIRTUOSA – UK SAILINGS
For MSC Virtuosa’ sailings around the British Isles in the upcoming months, we will initially welcome only UK residents of all ages, both vaccinated and unvaccinated. All unvaccinated or partially vaccinated guests (i.e did not receive the full set of vaccine shots) will need to take a PCR (molecular) or antigen (lateral flow) swab test within 72 hours prior to the ship’s departure. The test results certificate must be printed in two copies and presented at the terminal in order to embark on the ship. The test is not required for fully-vaccinated (proof of vaccination needed) or under 2 years old guests. However, as per our stringent MSC Health & Safety protocol, all guests both vaccinated and unvaccinated, will need to undergo some Health and COVID 19 screenings including a COVID 19 swab test, a health questionnaire and a contactless temperature check, before boarding the ship.

 

The Policy was updated from your copy & paste above. It can be an email / text etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Hi looking to see if anyone can shed any light on this,   Daughter and 2 friends are booked on MSC Virtuosa 19th Aug.   They have now changed their policy meaning you have to have had both vaccines.   One friend has only had one vaccine and the 2nd is not due until the week of the sailing.    My daughter emailed MSC as she has had no correspondence regarding this and only happened to read it by chance on social media.  Their response simply stated that they were only contacting passengers who were due to travel up until 19th July.    She has tried phoning, only to be on hold for 55mins before having to give up.   I presume that the 19th July cut off is due to the relaxation of gov restrictions expected at that time, but surely the 2 vaccine rule would still remain.    Has anyone sailing on Virtuosa managed to speak to MSC or can anyone clarify this.  Thanks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, demmy10 said:

Hi looking to see if anyone can shed any light on this,   Daughter and 2 friends are booked on MSC Virtuosa 19th Aug.   They have now changed their policy meaning you have to have had both vaccines.   One friend has only had one vaccine and the 2nd is not due until the week of the sailing.    My daughter emailed MSC as she has had no correspondence regarding this and only happened to read it by chance on social media.  Their response simply stated that they were only contacting passengers who were due to travel up until 19th July.    She has tried phoning, only to be on hold for 55mins before having to give up.   I presume that the 19th July cut off is due to the relaxation of gov restrictions expected at that time, but surely the 2 vaccine rule would still remain.    Has anyone sailing on Virtuosa managed to speak to MSC or can anyone clarify this.  Thanks 

If it helps, I've had a couple of replies (initially) from @MSC_Cruises_UK on twitter. But they aren't the best...... I know cruises not around the UK have different rules and are allowing non vaccinations. So it stands that I imagine that the only reason it isnt from the UK is the UK's guidelines. So once they are removed on the 19th, MSC UK I cant see why they wouldnt follow the rest of their fleet. But I imagine they cant come out and say that until after the 19th, or incase our Delta issue causes a few changes again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, BritsAbroad said:

If it helps, I've had a couple of replies (initially) from @MSC_Cruises_UK on twitter. But they aren't the best...... I know cruises not around the UK have different rules and are allowing non vaccinations. So it stands that I imagine that the only reason it isnt from the UK is the UK's guidelines. So once they are removed on the 19th, MSC UK I cant see why they wouldnt follow the rest of their fleet. But I imagine they cant come out and say that until after the 19th, or incase our Delta issue causes a few changes again.

Thank for for the response.   So possibly this could mean only negative tests required after the 19th.   Fingers crossed as this would be the 3rd cancellation in the past year.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/10/2021 at 1:25 PM, demmy10 said:

Thank for for the response.   So possibly this could mean only negative tests required after the 19th.   Fingers crossed as this would be the 3rd cancellation in the past year.   

I imagine so. The only way it would be different is if MSC changed their policy for the rest of the fleet to be like the UK's current policy. But the only reason they would have to do that is if this Delta mullers the rest of the world before your cruise. Sadly mine isn't until Dec. And I have to fly to mine via Paris (to martinique) to embark. So thats a few months of worry to see which way the coin tosses! Good luck! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

just booked ours for easter 2022 and decided to go yacht club as it was a very reasonable price. Hopefully all will have calmed down by then. we have sailed with Mac many times but never in yacht club so really looking forward to it. Cant wait to get back cruising and travelling again.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...