Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
semlohah

Email with details of cancellation compensation

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, Kreg13 said:

What is the link address?

 

Look at the first post on this thread. The link is in the long quote from the letter. Just click that. As of this morning the web page is now set up and working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone happen to know how HAL might handle cancellations with two or more legs involved?  In our case, the Nieuw Amsterdam begins in Ft. Lauderdale on April 4 (within the cancellation period) and picks up the second leg in Barcelona departing April 17 (after the stated cancellation period).  Should we expect that HAL will cancel this leg as well?  I'm assuming the ship will be stuck in Ft. Lauderdale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PShelley said:

Does anyone happen to know how HAL might handle cancellations with two or more legs involved?  In our case, the Nieuw Amsterdam begins in Ft. Lauderdale on April 4 (within the cancellation period) and picks up the second leg in Barcelona departing April 17 (after the stated cancellation period).  Should we expect that HAL will cancel this leg as well?  I'm assuming the ship will be stuck in Ft. Lauderdale.

Do you have separate bookings or is it all one?  Ours (April 2-May 10) has several segments.  We were booked for the whole 39 days and got our cancellation email yesterday.  Others on the roll call (sailing after April 14) have not....but I expect they will be canceled too.  Especially because ours ended in Canada. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Do you have separate bookings or is it all one?

We're booked only on the second leg beginning in Barcelona on 4/17.  For the cruise to depart on schedule, we have to envision them sailing an empty ship over from Ft. Lauderdale - - which is sort of weird to imagine.  On the one hand, a subsequent cancellation is "probable," but what would it hurt for HAL to let us know something more definite?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, PShelley said:

We're booked only on the second leg beginning in Barcelona on 4/17.  For the cruise to depart on schedule, we have to envision them sailing an empty ship over from Ft. Lauderdale - - which is sort of weird to imagine.  On the one hand, a subsequent cancellation is "probable," but what would it hurt for HAL to let us know something more definite?

I'm sure they will.  Right now they're busy handling cruises leaving soon (in the next week and early April).  I'm very thankful we found out 13 days before we were scheduled to fly to Sydney, and wish you the best!  It's hard I know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tallyjohn said:

 OK,  just when I thought I had this figured out I am  confused again. The cancellation letter said there would be a link to a web page to exercise your options. That page is now up. It (the form attached on the web page) makes it appear that you have to choose, if you take the credit option (option 1) , what cruise you will rebook to right NOW.I had no idea, if I am right, that this is what was required. How can we use the credit to the end of 2021 when most ships don’t even have their itineraries posted past next (2021) April? 

 

I haven't even looked at the form yet, but I don't see how they can possibly make you choose a replacement cruise now.  Everything is up in the air, and we don't even know what will be going on the rest of the year!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

 

I haven't even looked at the form yet, but I don't see how they can possibly make you choose a replacement cruise now.  Everything is up in the air, and we don't even know what will be going on the rest of the year!

You don't have to choose a replacement cruise.  The future cruise credit will have your mariner # attached to it, and you have until 12/31/21 to BOOK another cruise - don't have to sail by that date.  I did my election this morning.  Since I already have cruises booked in December 2020 and March 2021 I'll use my FCC to book something in either Nov/Dec 2021 or January 2022...but I'll book it well before 12/31/20 when the itineraries come out later this summer.

 

Sue/WDW1972

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I chose option #2, a full refund, simply because of the fact that the FCC is not refundable.  I'm not going to take the chance of losing those funds.  I don't need $250 OBC and since the FCC cannot be used for a deposit, that means that I would have to book a cabin that was much more expensive than the one on the sailing that was cancelled.  These terms and conditions may work for some folks, but not for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Taters said:

I chose option #2, a full refund, simply because of the fact that the FCC is not refundable.  I'm not going to take the chance of losing those funds.  I don't need $250 OBC and since the FCC cannot be used for a deposit, that means that I would have to book a cabin that was much more expensive than the one on the sailing that was cancelled.  These terms and conditions may work for some

folks, but not for me.

I thought the FCC had to be used for a new booking, therefore, "a deposit".  Or do you mean you would just want to use a portion of it?

Edited by Vict0riann

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I thought the FCC had to be used for a new booking, therefore, "a deposit".  Or do you mean you would just want to use a portion of it?

Take a look at the terms & conditions in post # 12.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

I don't think it is.  They will refund the port fees and taxes to the credit card you used to pay with.

The fact they don’t mention a refund of taxes and port fees in both of the 

options makes nervous. Has anyone gotten clarification on this directly from HAL? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cruisegirl said:

The fact they don’t mention a refund of taxes and port fees in both of the 

options makes nervous. Has anyone gotten clarification on this directly from HAL? 

 

If you cancel a cruise, taxes, port fees, prepaid expenses like shore excursions or dinners/OBC, beverage cards, etc are always refunded.

 

Mine were refunded already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

You don't have to choose a replacement cruise.  The future cruise credit will have your mariner # attached to it, and you have until 12/31/21 to BOOK another cruise - don't have to sail by that date.  I did my election this morning.  Since I already have cruises booked in December 2020 and March 2021 I'll use my FCC to book something in either Nov/Dec 2021 or January 2022...but I'll book it well before 12/31/20 when the itineraries come out later this summer.

 

Sue/WDW1972

 

3 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

You don't have to choose a replacement cruise.  The future cruise credit will have your mariner # attached to it, and you have until 12/31/21 to BOOK another cruise - don't have to sail by that date.  I did my election this morning.  Since I already have cruises booked in December 2020 and March 2021 I'll use my FCC to book something in either Nov/Dec 2021 or January 2022...but I'll book it well before 12/31/20 when the itineraries come out later this summer.

 

Sue/WDW1972

 

 

So did you just leave all of the requested info about the selected cruise at the bottom of the form blank ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tallyjohn said:

 

 

 

So did you just leave all of the requested info about the selected cruise at the bottom of the form blank ?

I didn't even see that.  I printed it out before hitting submit, but it's in the office - will check tomorrow.  In my case I wouldn't have a selected cruise, since they haven't released itineraries for the time period I'm looking for.

 

Sue/WDW1972

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the information at the bottom pertains to the cruise you were booked on that they cancelled.  You should fill out the name of the ship and date of cruise that you are reqesting compensation for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, KAKcruiser said:

I think the information at the bottom pertains to the cruise you were booked on that they cancelled.  You should fill out the name of the ship and date of cruise that you are reqesting compensation for.

I did enter my booking #, ship and sailing date (the one canceled) on the online form.

 

Sue/WDW1972

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wdw1972 said:

I did enter my booking #, ship and sailing date (the one canceled) on the online form.

 

Sue/WDW1972

Ah, thank you both. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...