On 11/7/2020 at 7:28 PM, jagsfan said:

Really? You feel old?

I remember when gas was 25 cents a gallon, and I sat in the car while the uniformed attendant pumped the gas, washed my windshield, checked my oil, and then thanked me. 

I remember gas being about 29 cents a gallon when I was a kid in the 60's and I remember watching the uniformed guy do everything, but by the time I started driving in the mid-70's I had to do it myself lol.

Mrs TravelBug, 

May I please ask why would you post ads like this?  My dad died of lung cancer because he smoked Lucky Strike cigarettes for 60 years?  A mistake? Of course, but at the time who really was aware of the dangers?  He had quit 20 years prior to his death but that didn’t stop his demise as a young 80 year old. I also smoked for 30 years and quit 10 years prior to my lung cancer diagnosis. It didn’t stop my lung cancer from forming and still required a lobectomy of my lung. 

It is only my opinion that these ads are not humorous but if you feel they are,  can you please not post on this happy forum that we so look forward to for just laughs?  

We come here as an escape from not only Covid but also a withdrawal from our favorite pastime of cruising. I’d appreciate it if you would. Thank you. 

8 minutes ago, lovemycruisetoo said:

Mrs TravelBug, 

May I please ask why would you post ads like this?  My dad died of lung cancer because he smoked Lucky Strike cigarettes for 60 years?  A mistake? Of course, but at the time who really was aware of the dangers?  He had quit 20 years prior to his death but that didn’t stop his demise as a young 80 year old. I also smoked for 30 years and quit 10 years prior to my lung cancer diagnosis. It didn’t stop my lung cancer from forming and still required a lobectomy of my lung. 

It is only my opinion that these ads are not humorous but if you feel they are,  can you please not post on this happy forum that we so look forward to for just laughs?  

We come here as an escape from not only Covid but also a withdrawal from our favorite pastime of cruising. I’d appreciate it if you would. Thank you. 

I am very sorry for the battle your family had with lung disease.  My father died of lung cancer when he was 62 after being a chain smoker from an early age.  I wasn't trying to be insensitive but I know my Dad would approve of any 'humor' that would point fun at the tobacco industry

6 minutes ago, MrsTravelBug said:

I am very sorry for the battle your family had with lung disease.  My father died of lung cancer when he was 62 after being a chain smoker from an early age.  I wasn't trying to be insensitive but I know my Dad would approve of any 'humor' that would point fun at the tobacco industry

Thank you for understanding and I didn’t think you were being insensitive to my or anyone else’s feelings intentionally. You were lucky to have a dad who had that sense of humor. Unfortunately my dad couldn’t breathe without oxygen and suffered until his death. But this is a happy forum, so all good and God bless them all. I thank you honestly and humbly for your reply. Be safe and be well. 

2 hours ago, voyager70 said:

@MrsTravelBugthose cigarette ads are unbelievable.  And with Drs endorsements to boot.  Amazing how far we've come.  So glad I was able to kick the habit several years ago.

Dr's?  LOL.  Even those that say "more doctors smoke xyz" don't mean anything.  It's just ads before there were real regulations.  Just saying Dr's doesn't make it true.  Both my grandfathers died from smoking,  One from lung cancer that metastasized (passed at 71 after 50 years of smoking and 5 of not) to his stomach and one from throat cancer from smoking self rolled cigarettes with no filters for probably 50 years.  As a kid I was fascinated with the rolling papers, but he died when I was 12 (he was 67).  But, I don't take offense as these ads were what existed. They are what they are... real.  None of the women on either side of my family smoked, just some of the men. I tried it, smoked some when I went out dancing in the 70's but that was it.    I think some people need to just scroll on by and not be offended. This thread is supposed to be humorous.