To add some humour...

17 minutes ago, Creepella said:

The clock in the last row is set to 2 instead of 3, so the answer would be 10.

If a "two o'clock" is worth 2 because a "three o'clock" is worth 3, and the value of the cookie is determined by the number of chips then the CORRECT answer is 2+1+1x7 or 10. Take it from a professional engineer. Because there are no parentheses, the cookie only multiplies the single banana, not all the terms.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

I am thinking each banana 1, and the clock is now 2, not 3, times 7 chips on the cookie=28

I agree with Keys Kathy as that is how I came up with the answer as well.  When there are no parenthesis then the formula is usually done in the order of the equation, and although century cruiser used an engineers background  I would disagree, since there are no parenthesis then there is no set order and probably two different answers that would be correct.   Both 10 and 28 could be the correct answer, only Ali Baba knows for sure.

Edited by travelnap

35 minutes ago, travelnap said:

I agree with Keys Kathy as that is how I came up with the answer as well.  When there are no parenthesis then the formula is usually done in the order of the equation, and although century cruiser used an engineers background  I would disagree, since there are no parenthesis then there is no set order and probably two different answers that would be correct.   Both 10 and 28 could be the correct answer, only Ali Baba knows for sure.

BEDMAS

Brackets

Exponents

Division

Multiplication

Addition

Subtraction

• Like 2

Sorry, wrong...just noticed the multiplication sign

The first equation determines that one cookie equals 10.

The second equation determines that 4 bananas = 4      or 1 banana = 1

The third equation determines that 2 clocks = 8-2 or 6.     1 clock = 3

so

1 clock (3) plus 1 banana(1) plus one times a cookie (10) = 14

12 minutes ago, shibby sails said:

I think its the number of chips on the cookies so it would be 

2+1+1x7 and you do multiplication before addition so 3 +7=10

Do I win a free cruise?

Nope. However your prize is all the cookies you can eat in the WJ on your next cruise. 

• Like 1

It's all moot. If they were actual numbers it would be easy. But, since they are images, the question cannot be answered. We know what the images in the first lines represent. We don't know what the images on the last line represent. 1 banana could be 57...or 3. We don't know. A cookie with 10 spots = 10 but a cookie with 7 spots could equal 7 or 23 or 5,492 for that matter. Because we don't know what the images on the bottom represent, we don't know what the answer is.

Another guess is 28.

35 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

It's all moot. If they were actual numbers it would be easy. But, since they are images, the question cannot be answered. We know what the images in the first lines represent. We don't know what the images on the last line represent. 1 banana could be 57...or 3. We don't know. A cookie with 10 spots = 10 but a cookie with 7 spots could equal 7 or 23 or 5,492 for that matter. Because we don't know what the images on the bottom represent, we don't know what the answer is.

Another guess is 28.

I guess the concept of algebra (particularly simultaneous equations) passed you by at school...

Edited by SteveH2508
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

It can't be answered. The value of one banana has not been determined. The cookie in the last  equation is different than the other cookies so we don't know it's value either.

However, if we assume one banana is half the value of two bananas, and all of the cookies are the same, my guess would be 50.

count the chips

6 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

BEDMAS

Brackets

Exponents

Division

Multiplication

Addition

Subtraction

Cobol and DB2 follow this construct as well.  Ran the query in DB2 and it returned 10.  So, as others have said, you get (1*7) + (2+1) = 10.  If parenthesis were put around the additions, you would get 28. 

I struggle to not do it the second way by adding parenthesis to make it more clear and instead evaluate it the correct way.  When I program I try to make sure to use () and everything else to make sure the calc takes the path I am expecting.

15 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You forgot BEDMAS if banana's are worth 1 the answer is 14

If bananas are still worth 2 the answer is 25

Hello,

This side of the pond it's BODMAS - the 'O' standing for 'Of'.

I say the answer is 10.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 2

• read2learn changed the title to To add some Humour