Feel Sorry for Ovation and Radiance

21 hours ago, island lady said:

I am scheduled to be on Radiance B2B mid August.  Already worried about that one as well.  Feel bad for the poor pax on those ships right now.  Such a major trip to plan and pay for...and now this.  Not to mention the worry about health issues at the same time.  So very sad.

I am also on Grandeur NE/Canada cruise mid June.  With not being able to go to Canada...guessing that cruise is cancelled soon as well (but have not heard anything yet)..unless they do something with the PVSA.  Hah...yeah right.  And this law came into affect in 1886..wow.  

The poor pax all got kicked off Radiance on the weekend they were sailing to New Zealand , NOW stuck at Port Kembla 😟 so sad for crew ,

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6680861/cruise-ships-stranded-during-coronavirus-ban-to-take-refuge-at-port-kembla/

1 hour ago, Hogbay said:

The poor pax all got kicked off Radiance on the weekend they were sailing to New Zealand , NOW stuck at Port Kembla 😟 so sad for crew ,

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6680861/cruise-ships-stranded-during-coronavirus-ban-to-take-refuge-at-port-kembla/

Oh that's terrible!  So many adventures lost and dreams dashed.  With the health worry, and costs piling up...just sad all around.  

Edited by island lady

On 3/16/2020 at 7:50 AM, awestover89 said:

I thought Royal couldn't do regular California cruises due to some environmental law that would require them to retrofit all the ships in their fleet.

California requires electrical hookup to shore power when in port. I believe the Ovation has does have it but I know the Radiance does not.  The Serenade will also be in limbo.  Ovation also has an issue with tendering.  Shortage of shore boats available. 

On 3/16/2020 at 9:41 AM, idkanything said:

Hmm, I have Radiance in Mid-June. I wonder if I should proactively change to Seattle, in hopes that the PVSA does get suspended. If nothing else, they can cancel one out of Seattle just as easy as the one out of Vancouver. 

You will not be able to take on out of Vancouver. ALL Canadian ports closed until July 1.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 6:44 PM, Another_Critic said:

I was on Radiance 19 years ago (March 26-29, 2001).  She was brand spanking new!

We were on Voyage #2 April 23rd 2001. Ensenada to Seattle.  Because of the PVSA we had to take a 3 hour bus ride from San Diego.   Captain Kent Ringhorm, Cruise Director Gordon Whatman

On 3/16/2020 at 10:21 AM, oldplayer532 said:

We booked  a family cruise for Ovation out of Seattle June 5-12 with nonrefundable $500 deposit from Costco. Already paid in full and also purchased travel guard  for this trip. Any suggestions from  super smart CC people?  Is anyone in the same situation?

If Royal cancels your nonrefundable deposit become refundable.  

The current offer is either 100% refund to the method you paid or a 125% FCC for a future cruise before 12/31/2021.   You have to wait for them to cancel it.  If you cancel you get whatever your insurance covers. 

Has anyone heard any updates directly from Royal? My cruise is still showing as active and ready to check in for June 12th on Radiance from Vancouver. I know the port is closed and we won't be going, but I would have expected some type of notice from Royal or an update on their website or something "official". I know we don't know, and they'll tell us eventually, but I have so much to cancel around this trip and I don't want to start doing all that till the word comes directly from Royal. 

We are scheduled to be on Radiance on July 3rd for Alaska ending in Vancouver on July 10th, but have a land portion that begins on June 29th.  Really hope Canada makes a decision before June 30th as to whether they will allow cruises starting July 1st or not.  Don't want to be up in Alaska doing the land portion and then get the notification they are extending the start of their cruise season.

2 hours ago, idkanything said:

Has anyone heard any updates directly from Royal? My cruise is still showing as active and ready to check in for June 12th on Radiance from Vancouver. I know the port is closed and we won't be going, but I would have expected some type of notice from Royal or an update on their website or something "official". I know we don't know, and they'll tell us eventually, but I have so much to cancel around this trip and I don't want to start doing all that till the word comes directly from Royal. 

I just received an email from Royal.  This is port of the communication.  There was no mention of the Canadian port situation.  I assume they are working on a something.  Or they are waiting to clean up their backlog of known changes before they create a flurry of new changes. 

• Scheduled to sail after April 10th and have questions?

• We fully intend to start sailing on April 11th and we can’t wait - we miss our guests already!

• If we must impact any additional sailings, we will send out a communication advising you of this and your options.

• If you cruise is between April 11th and July 31st and are unsure about sailing, you can still use the Cruise With Confidence policy and cancel up to 48 hours prior to your sail date for a 100% Future Cruise Certificate for use through December 31st, 2021. We put this in place to give you peace of mind to the very last minute and flexibility to plan your future sailing. If you are choosing to take advantage of this offer, please click here to begin the process. Once you complete the form – there is nothing else to do. We will process your future cruise credit.

23 minutes ago, Blizzard54 said:

I just received an email from Royal.  This is port of the communication.  There was no mention of the Canadian port situation.  I assume they are working on a something.  Or they are waiting to clean up their backlog of known changes before they create a flurry of new changes. 

• Scheduled to sail after April 10th and have questions?

• We fully intend to start sailing on April 11th and we can’t wait - we miss our guests already!

• If we must impact any additional sailings, we will send out a communication advising you of this and your options.

• If you cruise is between April 11th and July 31st and are unsure about sailing, you can still use the Cruise With Confidence policy and cancel up to 48 hours prior to your sail date for a 100% Future Cruise Certificate for use through December 31st, 2021. We put this in place to give you peace of mind to the very last minute and flexibility to plan your future sailing. If you are choosing to take advantage of this offer, please click here to begin the process. Once you complete the form – there is nothing else to do. We will process your future cruise credit.

Thanks for sharing but can't say I have much confidence that bullet 1 will happen. Their enthusiastic optimism is a bit much to me at this time. 

• Like 1

Sailing radiance Hawaii to Vancouver on may 5th, already have everything booked and paid for except final payment on oahu accommodations, that payment is due by the end of this month. probably wont know about the fate of this cruise officially until mid april. I will probably still cough the 700 bucks up for the condo since I WANT TO GO!! 

37 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Thanks for sharing but can't say I have much confidence that bullet 1 will happen. Their enthusiastic optimism is a bit much to me at this time. 

I agree.  At the rate some people are following the guidelines I do no see much progress in the next few weeks.  There has been talk of a partial travel ban.  If there is my state would be on the top of the list. 45 does not like my Governor.   

• 2 weeks later...

And on another thread someone from mentioned that New Zealand might not open its ports until next Year.

Now I really feel bad for Ovation and Radiance.  If I could fit them in my back yard and give them a hug I would.

So angry on how this virus started and how it was handled.  One could not give e a free cruise to THAT PLACE.

well hang in there everyone and you to Voyager of the Seas floating around with the other two.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/18/2020 at 10:20 AM, The_Big_M said:

They also removed a cruise scheduled for the 11th April so their first point above isn't correct.

Can somebody update me on the status of Ovation OTS.

Sail on her last year and was surprised to sea it is presently anchored on the east coast of Malaysia.

Is she trying to unload the remaining crew still? 

She is being used to unload crew members. Due in Seattle July 3rd for start of Alaska season. I am booked on her July 31st.

Not sure RCL will sail to Alaska this summer. Season is short, both Seattle and Canada ports are closed.

• Like 1

So far, Canada has not extended the close date past 7/1/20.  Until then...the speculation continues.  

I am still booked on Radiance B2B mid August.  She is just drifting/anchored in the North Malacca Strait off coast of SE Asia... Waiting game.

Edited by island lady

9 hours ago, datolim said:

Can somebody update me on the status of Ovation OTS.

She's been sailing around Asia, like the rest of the ships, assume she's dropped off crew. She's at anchor off Singapore for the last couple of days.

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

She's been sailing around Asia, like the rest of the ships, assume she's dropped off crew. She's at anchor off Singapore for the last couple of days.

Thanks Pal. Cannot drop off crew in Malaysia or neighbouring countries. How long are going to play this waiting game.

16 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Pretty sure most of the area crew was dropped off more than a week ago when Spectrum, Voyager and Ovation docked in Bali.

No Sir, Crystal Serenity was trying to unload crew in Malaysia from 2 weeks ago without success.

Turn around to Indonesia, Jakarta  but Indonesia ban all cruise ships yesterday. Looks like they are also playing the waiting game.

I think Ovation is waiting its turn to go into Singapore.

But with the increase in the virus recently, perhaps they are on hold.

The Celebrity ship that is following them from Bali is slowly making its way to Singapore and I bet it is not in a hurry since Ovation is on hold.

I created this thread because I have been on both ships and they got booted out of Australia (thanks Ruby Princess) and now a big delay in Alaska. Radiance is way over closer to Kuala Lumpur.  Wondering if Ovation might head over there instead of Singapore.

I wonder if Radiance and Ovation can start to head to Alaska and stop in Hawaii.  I think the captains are due to rotate off but they again air travel is reduced to Europe and RCI might feel they are safer keeping officers on the ships.

Time will tell for all of us.  So far I have lost 5 cruises this year.  In fact the one coming up next in late August is also the same ship I was last on in Oct.  A mousy ship called Fantasy.  

I was supposed to be on the Symphony RIGHT NOW.  But I still follow the Radiance and Ovation and feel sorry for them.

• 2 months later...

After being at anchor off Singapore for almost the past three months, Radiance is on the way to Hong Kong. Singapore seems like the "it" place for ships to hang out now - more than in Manila Bay. At least 5 more ships on the way.

image.png.06212fda4dc88cdd5f3365040ebf6170.png

Edited by Biker19

6 hours ago, Biker19 said:

After being at anchor off Singapore for almost the past three months, Radiance is on the way to Hong Kong. Singapore seems like the "it" place for ships to hang out now - more than in Manila Bay. At least 5 more ships on the way.

image.png.06212fda4dc88cdd5f3365040ebf6170.png

Yes I noticed the mass exodus from Manila and also noticed Spectrum moved in.

And Radiance woke up from a month long snooze to move as well. Even Voyager had a long snooze in Manila. 

Ovation went to India abd then back 2nd time to Manila and there is a great You Tube video by captain amd crew on the going to India trip.

So lots of ships in this area as well as south of Bahamas and some near Barbados.

Kinda miss them hanging close to Fla.

Fun to see Anthem do Suez Canal.

Sure hope Radiance does not get sold.

Sure hope Odyssey (sister to Ovation) gets to sail next summer. I want my Greek cruise to go.

Now I can expand my title to "feel sorry for all" ships.  Even the new ship Celebrity Apex is stuck waiting since completed and new.

Toodles