Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
bobrxlex

Should I cancel May 21 Alaska

Recommended Posts

I am in the 50% penalty for a few more days.  If I cancel now will Celebrity give me a 50% refund and 50% FCC. Or should I wait until Celebrity cancels the cruise due to not being able to dock in Vancouver. My cruise is 8 days Vancouver to Seattle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you can assume that there is a high likelihood that this cruise will be cancelled.  So best to wait a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also suggest waiting.  I would rather have the money back over a FCC which is why I haven't cancelled our April 11th cruise.  I'm assuming they will cancel for us when the time comes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Celebrity will do it for you.  Canada is not allowing ships to dock at this point till July 1 earliest.  Celebrity will have to cancel as there is no foreign port available for the Alaska cruises to dock at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

YOU shouldn’t be tempted doing anything. If the cruise will not happen due to any kind of reason THEY will cancel. And it’s always better if they cancel...

 

Edited by Miaminice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My cruise is June 12. I'm hoping for a refund. Technically can't  X Change our  itinerary to something that has nothing to do with an Alaska.under our contract? My

I'm from the US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

They could totally change the itinerary with a stop in Mexico at best.

With the cruise have to be extended by any days to have a stop in Mexico?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

With the cruise have to be extended by any days to have a stop in Mexico?

Well, yes. If you’re going on an Alaskan cruise heading north going south to Mexico is just a bit out of the way. If you’re going to Mexico you won’t be going to Alaska unless your trip is a week longer and it leaves from a California port instead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are on this cruise as well and we are taking a wait and see approach. If Canada keeps its July 1 dictate in place, Celebrity will likely cancel for us. At this point I don't think there is anything to be gained by canceling ourselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

With the cruise have to be extended by any days to have a stop in Mexico?


Yes,  it would likely be extended by many days.  Alaska is north of the US and to the Northeast of Canada.  Mexico is south of the US.  Mexico is not on the way to Alaska and would require significant backtracking to make a Mexico-Alaska cruise viable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rimmit said:


Yes,  it would likely be extended by many days.  Alaska is north of the US and to the Northeast of Canada.  Mexico is south of the US.  Mexico is not on the way to Alaska and would require significant backtracking to make a Mexico-Alaska cruise viable. 

 

They can always rearrange all the schedule and port of calls if they have to make money. i.e. LA/San Diego to Mexico to Alaska and make it a 10-14 day cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GateGuardian said:

 

They can always rearrange all the schedule and port of calls if they have to make money. i.e. LA/San Diego to Mexico to Alaska and make it a 10-14 day cruise.


That is definitely a possibility.   The poster was primarily asking if it would extend the cruise.  The answer to that is yes.  Ultimately the Alaska season till July 1 is cancelled in its current state and they would need to do one way 10-14 night cruises to abide by US laws.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GateGuardian said:

 

They can always rearrange all the schedule and port of calls if they have to make money. i.e. LA/San Diego to Mexico to Alaska and make it a 10-14 day cruise.

Yup, possible. The reality is where to you cruise? LA and San Diego open. Ensenada open. SFO limited berths. Santa Barbara, Monterrey, Astoria, Victoria, Vancouver and Seattle closed. Does 6 days to Ketchikan and one more Alaska port sound viable? Hardly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have 30 days as of now to figure it out.   Virus is now everywhere.    A  plan might be made,  but this will need to slow down dramatically for them to reopen any ports etc.   We waited until 2 days before to cancel on todays Silhouette sailing.  We cancelled the nt before the actual RCCL  shutdown.  Still waiting for the actual cancellation paperwork, as they are extremely backed up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had a May cruise and took the 50 / 50 deal.   At the very least 50% of our $ is back in our pockets and not held up in Celebrity’s bank account.   Yes, could have waited for the 125% FCC deal, but no thanks!   I would rather some cash back than no cash back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone, I think ill wait it out and hope I have the option to get 100% money back and not just FCC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I called and talked to Celebrity a couple of days ago about our 22 May Alaska Cruise from Vancouver and they said that if we cancel now that we would only receive a 50% refund and loose the remaining 50%.    Based on my conversation with Celebrity I have four options if the cruise is not cancelled.  One, take the cruise.  Two, cancel and take the 50% refund and loose the remaining 50% (possibly file with travel insurance if you have the cancel for any reason coverage).  Third, if Celebrity cancels we could take the 125% FCC or ask for a full refund.  Fourth, book another sailing and apply the funds (if cost is more you pay if less you get a FCC for the remaining - no refund)

 

Make sure you fully understand the policy as of today before taking the 50%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are also on the May 21st cruise, and am 100% confident that it will be canceled, due to the Canadian port closures. Further, any attempt at a revised itinerary would be met with severe pushback... Alaska is Alaska, not the West Coast or Mexico!  I plan to wait this out, and take the money & run.  No FCC for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was on the May 10 Eclipse to Alaska. As soon as Trudeau held the presser I was on the phone and had Celebrity change my date to August 16th. Didn't ask for a refund.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My cruise is June 12. I know many of you want to go on this cruise but I'm hoping the ports don't open early. I want my money back because of the stress. We will lose money on our flights and the money we paid for our travel insurance.

 

The travel insurance should pay out on our non-refundable hotel but we used some credit card points to pay for the hotel so we're going to lose out on the full cost.

 

There's a chance my work could make me self quarantine after this Cruise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

My cruise is June 12. I know many of you want to go on this cruise but I'm hoping the ports don't open early. I want my money back because of the stress. We will lose money on our flights and the money we paid for our travel insurance.

 

The travel insurance should pay out on our non-refundable hotel but we used some credit card points to pay for the hotel so we're going to lose out on the full cost.

 

There's a chance my work could make me self quarantine after this Cruise. 

 

Usually when using Chase UR points for example I get a receipt that shows a monetary value and then the amount of the points so you should be able to claim that back from insurance if your policy covers it.

 

Many "non-ref" flights and hotels have a waiver and the carrier will refund you anyway. Did you book a chain hotel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

 

Usually when using Chase UR points for example I get a receipt that shows a monetary value and then the amount of the points so you should be able to claim that back from insurance if your policy covers it.

 

Many "non-ref" flights and hotels have a waiver and the carrier will refund you anyway. Did you book a chain hotel?

Thank you for the helpful info. It was a Chase Sapphire  card that was used for to purchase the hotel & a flight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...